Psychic Werewolf

ANSWERED:Breeding Links/Clickable Dragon for Breeding

Exactly. We all have thoughts. I had a beaut a while ago and everyone sat on it - and they were right. But it looked like a good idea at the time.

This took me AGES

and I'm not done yet. It could not work with fewer breeds, as we all HAVE to have a single breed for each country. There are the rainbow lines. There's the EPIC project. There were the Hunger Games. There's that one where you are only ALLOWED to use different breeds at the base - I can't remember its name. All depend on multiple breeds.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'd support a lineage preview or a lineage link of the mates on the breeding list, but no warning against inbreeding or breeding "messy" lineages.

Well, if we could see lineages on the breeding page, we could make informed decisions on the spot, without the confusion factor of mixing up names or codes or just thinking 'that's gotta to be it' producing unintended messies, which ought to cover it nicely.

AOND has an inbred checker for any lengthy lineages one might want to check out (and a link to the lineage page on the breeding page would also give you that code without having to search your scroll,) prior to breeding in cases where inbreeding needs to be avoided - although I did make one horrendous error in a mate switch involving a shorter lineage I shouldn't have missed a repeated ancestor on, just through being chronically overtired - but if the mate's lineage had been visible right on the breeding page, would I have still looked right at it without noticing?

Maybe, but maybe not.

The problem usually arises when you think you have a suitable mate selected, would like to check, but are in a hurry/tired and don't feel like searching on another page especially if you already have a bunch up for other things (maybe several fansites and a couple of pages with interesting articles/papers on another site, as well as DragCave stuff,) and it's not until you look at the egg's lineage - or have it pointed out to you by the person you were trying to breed a nice gift for - that the true horror sinks in. (We need a 'screaming' smilie, lol.)

So usually I have multiple Cave pages up when breeding new pairings, but that's a lot of drag on older computers, something a lot of people are trying to cope with.

I rarely have problems because I generally know in advance who I am going to breed, but also because of the way my scroll is sorted. But I can see that would be useful to me now and then and useful to some people very often. So, support from me.

Tbh, my preference would be to also see lineage links for all things affected by BSAs: incubate, influence, teleport etc etc. Fertility has been changed however, and I have been able to work with that tolerably well

Well, if people are so worried or annoyed at the idea of a warning, could we at least get the generation number listed next to the dragon?- I have a bunch of first gens sitting around, and sometimes I need to breed them, but I often forget which were and weren't CB.. so, instead of having to bring up every dragon's /view to see if they are lined, I'd rather have a generation number, or just a CB marker.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Well, the OP this is on was posted on Jun 17 2010, asking for a lineage link on the breeding page.

A lineage link for dragons on the breeding page - the same as everywhere else that such individual dragon images appear - would solve virtually all of these issues, as we'd be able to check without leaving the page and having to call up another one.

I do wish that TJ would let us know whether there's some coding or other reason why this might not be feasible and whether he has anything like this in some 'someday' pipeline or not, because it's been a major issue for a very long time, and only grows with the length of our scrolls.

Well, if people are so worried or annoyed at the idea of a warning, could we at least get the generation number listed next to the dragon?- I have a bunch of first gens sitting around, and sometimes I need to breed them, but I often forget which were and weren't CB.. so, instead of having to bring up every dragon's /view to see if they are lined, I'd rather have a generation number, or just a CB marker.

CB would work; generation number - not so good; you might pick the WRONG 3 gen pebble...! The preview is the only surefire way to keep worried breeders happy, I think.

In case it helps you, there is a tool that can filter CBs for you: http://eatw.net/tool.html

Also naming schemes are your friends. I have a personal project of Moonstones and whites and I have labeled them all with Celestialis at the end to know that they are my Celestialis line CB's I'll figure something out for the second gens but for now all my caveborns are [insert name here] Clestialis. It can be tricky or hard so pic something you know you can remember to label all your CB's with so you can ctrl + f them without checking each page individually.

Lineage links in the mate slection page would be amazing on so many levels. This coupled with lineage preview to ensure it looks good after all would be really nice.

If this does not become A Thing soon, I shall pout. (Run, TJ, run!) xd.png

Seriously, though, it's becoming a hassle to sift through 10bajillion dragons to find the proper mate I want for a dragon that has refused others (am already pouting about increased refusals). I just misbred two that I have been working on forever, thinking I had them set aside, but they were not the right mates. They were meant for another lineage. rolleyes.gif

I can see why having the ideal - a breeding result preview - might contribute to lag as the different dragons would have to be searched out and paired every time, but we constantly look at lineage pages everywhere else without any apparent problems and, because we haven't got them available on the breeding pages, are generally keeping up extra scroll pages, searching out dragons and looking at their lineages separately, a process which has to use a lot more than would a simple click on the same page.

So assuming this to be true, logically, any contribution to lag can't be a factor in this.

Since I know nothing of coding, I suppose that it's possibly quite complex altering coding on the breeding page to include the lineage View accessible through all other dragon images - or it could be that TJ is trying to discourage breeding, especially in those having older/slower systems where this primitive manual multi-page search-and-check would be far more difficult and time-consuming.

The latter seems unlikely, especially in view of the people we've lost and are losing, but anything's possible, I suppose.

But he must realize that a number of long-standing members often simply haven't time to search through thousands of dragons, first down each breeding list and then on separate pages in their scrolls to do all of their planned breeding (barring Refusals) with new pairings when they must drop everything to run off to their 2nd job or to take care of the kids or make supper/get some sleep/mow the lawn or whatever, and that chronically non-productive and boring use of their leisure time presents little incentive to return, especially with Refusals and Cave hunting involving hours of slow biome movement in fruitless pursuit of various dragons they potentially can't see or catch factored in.

Too many people who have been long losing interest - even some with access to fast systems - don't seem to even check in anymore, even in case of Releases or to answer DC PMs, as it stands... sad.gif and while this may be in many cases due to RL issues, it also shows that DC isn't providing the fun break from an often all-too-grim reality that it could be, for so many people...