G-Dove

Percy Jackson v.s. Eragon

What do you like better; Percy Jackson or Eragon?  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh and about the parallel to StarWars, I think they're talking about the quote in DragonNightHowler's siggie....

The one about different colored swords that are able to hack through anything and are only meant for oneperson: definitly Lightsabers.

Also, similarities: These were pointed out to me by another person...

Star Wars - Princess Leia ambushed taking valuable data to rebels. Data in form of droids lands and is found by farmer boy. While gaining wisdom from a creepy old man, he comes back to see his home burned. Old man helps him travel in revenge, revealing he was once a Jedi. Going on...

Eragon - Arya ambushed taking egg to Varden. Egg is found by farmer boy. While talking to Brom about dragons, he returns to see his farm burned. Brom helps him travel in revenge, revealing he was once a Dragon Rider...

They're like the same.

Also, similarities: These were pointed out to me by another person...

Star Wars - Princess Leia ambushed taking valuable data to rebels. Data in form of droids lands and is found by farmer boy. While gaining wisdom from a creepy old man, he comes back to see his home burned. Old man helps him travel in revenge, revealing he was once a Jedi. Going on...

Eragon - Arya ambushed taking egg to Varden. Egg is found by farmer boy. While talking to Brom about dragons, he returns to see his farm burned. Brom helps him travel in revenge, revealing he was once a Dragon Rider...

They're like the same.

The reason they are so similar is not cause Eragon blatantly copies many elements of Star Wars (although there are some similarties) but because both Star Wars and Eragon follow what is known as the classic hero journey (or a monomyth as another term), which is a plot derived from mythology and has been used in thousands of types of literature over the years. The classic heo journey steps can be found here:

http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/00800/journey.htm

The classic hero journey is an archetype, which is an element of literature that pop up over human history in all kinds of literature. Ghosts would be another type of archetype for example. They showed up in all sorts of different cultures writing long before there was extensive interaction. So what I'm saying is Star Wars and Eragon are just one in a long line that follows this type of plotline. There is no stealing involved. It is just something humans have integrated into their literature over history long before either of these existed.

Oh yah, I love dragons, so I'm more for Eragon.

Edited by Dashidragon

Erm... I know about the hero Journey and all, but the similarities are just TOO close to be considered a mere coincidence, archetype. I mean, it's the same story, but with dragons!

THATS Kinda another reason why i chose Eragon beacuse I wub.gif dragons.

yeah.

They're awesome...

(kinda the reason why I'm on dragcave, hmm?)

Sure now as Shay-la put it I can definitely see the resemblance.

Why hasn't anyone brought up a lawsuit though if its that blatant?

It's hard to say because both are really contrasting. I'd say the Percy Jackson series is kind of more trite and amusing, and the Inheritance Cycle has just as little meaning, but just expresses that in a different, more convoluted way.

Paolini's language is so archaic it surprises me. I mean, okay, it's supposed to be in sword-fighting times, but is it really necessary to write that way? It makes stuff seem more cliché and awkward to read.

And the Percy Jackson series was pretty predictable, because the whole plot of the storyline is always told by the prophecies at the beginning of the book.

I think I enjoyed the Percy Jackson series more though, not for meaning, but because it's fun to read, and funny. Some of the jokes are corny, but a lot are not. Still, the plot of the Inheritance Cycle is enjoyable to read.

As a disclaimer, sort of, just because I am not a huge fan of the Inheritance Cycle, doesn't mean I don't like dragons.

LOTR's language is SUPER archaic and people don't have a problem with it.

And if you think Percy Jackson's corny, you should read the Red Pyramid dry.gif

but that's besides the point. We aren't talking about those books. Sorry for going off topic.

yeah...the language in Eragon was hard to digest for me because it was so archaic, though...LOTR was hard enough to get through!

I couldn't get through Eragon, book or movie. I could get through the Percy Jackson movie, even if I had to stop to bash my head in a couple of times. =| So Perseus wins, but not by much.

Edited by Zovesta

There are lots of older books that have much more complicated language than what's used in the Inheritance Cycle. I guess I shouldn't dictate how Paolini should write and let him write however he feels is effective.

I don't think that Percy Jackson is corny, it's just kind of predictable. I still like it a lot though! It's a fun read.

The issue with Paolini's language, aside from it being a direct rape of the Thesaurus, is the fact that EVERY character speaks the same. From the noble, to the farm boy.

Really, a 17 year olf farm boy would NEVER speak like that.

good point. I mean, he speaks like he's already the dragon rider and a noble already when he first gets the egg!

I'm trying to decide whether that was how CP wrote it or if Eragon was being stuck up.

I'm afraid Paolini knows as much about characterization as I do about fabricating a nuclear submarine. That is, nothing.

Well anyways, now that I look back on Eragon, I do see the formality of how a farmboy talks... :/ that's weird. dry.gif

... where's the option for neither? -had to hit 'Null Vote' instead-

Eragon's an insult to dragons, never read PJ and I don't plan on it. I'm a mythology nut, so it'd only be good for a drinking game.

I'm waiting for the revival of robots/psychological horror, myself.

I said Percy Jackson.

I too got bored of Eragon in the first few chapters.

I don't get why everyone gets bored of Eragon. It isn't THAT boring, is it?

... no, it is. Everything about it has been done and a thousand times better.

I was capable of reading Mein Kampf.

But Eragon... UGH. I'm sorry but I can't stand books that take 15 pages describing how to forge a damn longsword using Katana technique. Or endless paragraphs to describe each bit of the world.

This was an issue in LOTR, but at least Tolkien mastered storytelling, and managed to make the thing flow.

In Eargon, it kind of comes to an abrupt stop, and begins describing things that should NOT be described.

I really don't give a ..... about how Saphira's scales glimmer under the sunlight, or the sound of a soldier practicing outside Nasuada's tent.

Specially the last book, it could have been shortened to 150 pages. There are 600 pages of pointless fillers.

I've been reading about the last book, and it says it's coming out in 2011-2012. I really can't imagine what's taking him so long. There is not much else to tell, really, unless you start pulling off filler cr... to make a 700 page book. Paolini should have just finished the book in Brisingr, and stop throwing in sh... to make huge books.

For instance, Artemis Fowl books are short, concise, and yet straight to the point. They flow naturally before your eyes, and tell a story without needing the use of pointless fillers and flowery descriptions.

The first Harry Potter books were short too, and the best of the series.

I don't have a problem with long books. Swarm is 1000 page book I devoured in a week, but it was fast and it progressed, it told a story.

But Eragon... yee, just get to the point! It keeps swinging back and forth, apparently trying to enlarge the books. Size does not a good book make.

There is a difference between being poetical, and straight on purple prose.

I use poetical language in my books, but keep descriptions to the necessary, no more.

If I'm writing a battle scene, I don't go on about how the feathers in the arrows ruffle against the warm summer breeze, and how the swift and feeble whistle was like birds singing in the woodlands bringing a song of pain and death, and whatever else.

It's just a friggin arrow. The same as the forging, (I'm never forgiving him for that). COME ON! If I wanted to know how to forge a sword, I'd read a book about it. Please, summarize that in a page, the most. It really isn't necessary to fill pages and pages with pointless descriptions that not only don't move the story forward, but also bring the reading to an abrupt halt.

I really found myself wandering a few times, because I was really uninterested.

When you write, you must try to get on with the story, keep people's interest in the book. Really, futile, unimportant details should be left out of the story, unless you really want to ruin the reading.

Brisingr had 600 pages of that.

A bit of random is ok to bring humanity to the characters. Perhaps a couple of conversations not related to the story, and one or two scenes about everyday life. Nothing else.

Show, don't tell. The average reader has enough imagination to perceive the sounds in a military camp, the atmosphere, and how afternoon light falls. Unless it is really important, there is no need to tell me how these things are. It only slows down reading as it explains just that obvious things.

Percy Jackson & The Olympians FTW!!!!! No way can you compare Eragon to Percy Jackson & The Olympians! Eragon, is long, confusing (with all the different languages), & too detailed. There's so many different languages used that it gets confusing. & I don't know about the rest of you but I don't care too much about really detailed stuff. I don't really care how the background looks & I don't want to read 5 sentences about every little detail about the place. Don't get me wrong, I love Eragon, but Percy Jackson & The Olympians is on a whole other level.

... where's the option for neither? -had to hit 'Null Vote' instead-

Ditto. Both books are so different, I'm wary of comparing them. I liked Eragon when I was younger, but I had to struggle through Eldest for all the reasons already stated. Brisingr was a little better, but... eh. I'm waiting for the fourth, but just to complete the collection. I might not buy it, anyways.

Percy Jackson was cute, and the mythology stuff is pretty good, but it's a little, I don't know, childish? I have all 5 books. I like it, but the story just felt like another of those epic quests that go nowhere. The Red Pyramid was better, but honestly, I'm just reading Riordan's books for the mythology and history bonuses. On that, I guess Riordan's books are a little better.

I liked Eragon much better than Percy Jackson.