Capture

The Most unexpected Plot Twists

In Sister of the Dead when it is revealed that Welstiel is Magiere's half brother rather than her father. Throughout the earlier books, I had believed it likely he was her father.

In The Sight when Fell didn't actually die in the river.

Doesn't really compare much to other books, but it surprised me a lot.

In A Game of Thrones when Ned gets beheaded. I saw the TV show first so I was convinced that someone somehow will save him and then the sword goes down and the next scene is with sir Ilin holding the head up to the crowd and I was like woah

In A Storm of Swords Lady Stoneheart, nuff' said

In A Feast for Crows When Joffrey gets poisoned. It was so out of the blue yet so completely expected that I was grinning like crazy when reading that part

Pretty much all of Agatha Cristie's books have at least one plot twist that you weren't expecting. My favorite is probably in Murder in the Orient Express they ALL did it!? I was definitely not expecting that.

In A Game of Thrones when Ned gets beheaded. I saw the TV show first so I was convinced that someone somehow will save him and then the sword goes down and the next scene is with sir Ilin holding the head up to the crowd and I was like woah

In A Storm of Swords Lady Stoneheart, nuff' said

In A Feast for Crows When Joffrey gets poisoned. It was so out of the blue yet so completely expected that I was grinning like crazy when reading that part

[/color]

I agree with all of that! Including in Storm of Swords when ... [/i] Robb dies sad.gif I was like, censorkip.gif, when I read that part! and also in Dance with Dragons when ... [/i] Jon gets stabbed?! And his fate is unknown...I'm really hoping he doesn't die because I am going to be really pissed. First, Ned's gone. Then Robb. C'mon! sad.gif

I agree with all of that! Including in Storm of Swords when ... [/i] Robb dies sad.gif I was like, censorkip.gif, when I read that part! and also in Dance with Dragons when ... [/i] Jon gets stabbed?! And his fate is unknown...I'm really hoping he doesn't die because I am going to be really pissed. First, Ned's gone. Then Robb. C'mon! sad.gif

I didn't include those two mainly because I was actually expecting them to happen...the second Jeyne was introduced, the frist thing that came to mind was " Yep, Robb's gonna die" and...same for Jon, it was bound to happen. Not that I didn't put the book down and stared at a wall for the next couple of minutes in both occasions. Expecting something to happen does not make it easier to take in, even in fiction. dry.gif

Harry Potter book six. Definitely a major plot twist. Although, all in all the Potter series is REALLY good. Everyone should read that book in my opinion smile.gif

Harry Potter book six. Definitely a major plot twist. Although, all in all the Potter series is REALLY good. Everyone should read that book in my opinion  smile.gif

I'm not sure which plot twist in HBP you're talking about. Was it Snape killing Dumbledore or the whole thing with the horcruxes?

Either way, the supposedly big deal in DH, about Harry being a horcrux, it was screamingly obvious that was going to happen if you'd paid any attention to HBP. Goodness knows, I'd seen it done, and IMO done better, in at least four fanfics before DH was released.

I don't know, maybe it's just me showing my age (I'm over 40) and not taking fully into account that the Harry Potter books are nominally a children's series. I just now finished the Hunger Games trilogy and wasn't especially surprised when Katniss shoots Coin instead of Snow in Mockingjay, either. But at least in that set, everything moved along quickly enough that there weren't any anvil-heavy clues in one book to hint at what would happen in the next. Some foreshadowing, yes, it is a trilogy after all. But not so much in any one book that you can figure out everything in the next one without actually reading it.

"The Fox and the Forest" - a short sci fi story by Ray Bradbury.

Agathas' Christie "Murder at Orient express" mystery book

Generally if you read a couple of books of her you can tell the end but in this was something I would never thought.

The plot: One train begins its journey. One night someone is murderes and the main Character Hercule Poirot has to find the criminal, before the trails clean and the suspects leave. All of the suspects have a good aliby and someone stranger is noticed, but the true is completely different...

P.S. For those wdo didn't expect Ned's death at GOT, it was totally expected, because wherever Sean Bean plays he dies...

P.S. For those wdo didn't expect Ned's death at GOT, it was totally expected, because wherever Sean Bean plays he dies...

It would still have been unexpected for those of us who read the book before the show even existed.

It would still have been unexpected for those of us who read the book before the show even existed.

True, but generally in stories like this the innocent dies first... Anyway in my country the show doesn't even exist in television, most of them see it vis the internet, so I don't know here what came first.

This is a movie plot twist, but in "Now You See Me", I was NOT expecting Mark Ruffalo's policeman to be the actual Fifth Horseman! Whoever came up with that twist was a genius - I had so many theories about the Fifth Horseman's identity, but the policeman was never one of them.

In Jostein Gaarder's "Sophie's World", I initially thought Sophie and her friends were all living humans, but it turned out they were all characters in a book within a book. o_O Toward the end of the book, Sophie and her friend Alberto manage to escape their author's mind.

Edited by Beldarius

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

When Malfoy didn't end up with Pansy What's-Her-Face.

Plot twists rarely surprise me. A "good" plot twist has to make sense while being unexpected, and most just don't do it for me. :/

Everything in the Tunnels Series. Everything. A small selection below:

Like Rebecca being evil, AND actually being a pair of twins.

When Tam died.

Like when Cal died.

And Drake died (twice).

When Professor Burrows died.

When Mrs Burrows went all psychic from the Darklight like whoa.

The Styx are insect things.

And when Chester's parents died.

MARTHA

And when Chester accidentally became a cannibal.

And BARTLEBY AND COLLY OMG SOB

MARTHA AGAIN WITH THE TAMED MOTH-DEMON/ANGEL THINGS

AND CHESTER WENT INSANE

AND MARTHA KILLED CHESTER

AND WHEN ELLIOTT WAS HALF-STYX

AND WHEN THE EARTH TURNED OUT TO BE HOLLOW INSIDE, AND TO BE A CENSORKIPZ-ING SPACESHIP

THE STYX REVEALING THEY WANT TO END THE WORLD WITH ARMAGI

THE ARMAGI THEMSELVES

AND AND AND AND SO MUCH OTHER STUFF I CAN'T EVEN

TO SUM UP: ALMOST EVERYONE DIED. OR WENT THROUGH SERIOUS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. MOST OF THE TIME BOTH.

Will and Elliott didn't even kiss 'onscreen' (or whatever you call it in a book) what the fudge.

Not a single one. This counts as a small unexpected thing I guess ahahaha.

Basically, ALL THE TWISTS AND TURNS.

Kinda like a Tunnel, huh.

Whoa. Mind blown.

Also:

SO MANY CLIFFHANGERS TOO

CLIFFHANGERS EVERYWHERE

EVEN IN THE LAST BOOK

THAT LAST CLIFFHANGER

That was a plot twist.

In, I think it was the Bartimaeus Trilogy? Pfft, probably haven't spelt it right.

WHY DID NATHANIEL HAVE TO DIE

AND KITTY YOU'RE DISFIGURED NOW FROM DOING THAT THING OMG

BUT YOU TWO WERE SUPPOSED TO LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER AND LEAD THE WORLD TO A BEAUTIFUL NEW FUTURE AND AND *cry*

Probably got loads more that might come to me. ;-;

*Looks at six bookcases that are overflowing* yeah, not going to say all of them.

Let's see, the newest Percy Jackson books when [spoilers] Nico turned out to be crushing on PERCY instead of Annabeth, totally thought it was Annabeth . . . kinda had to re-read that about nine hundred times.

"Holding grudges has always been the fatal flaw of children of Hades." –Bianca to Nico, in The Battle of the Labyrinth

With that in mind, I would think that Nico hated Percy for the death of Bianca, but, you know, it's hard to hate Percy, so a stiff 'I'm not fond of you but I'll deal' is what I had in mind. That's what I get for assuming![/spoilers]

Let's see, there's also Faking Normal [spoilers] I totally believed it was someone totally different from who it was that got to her. I mean, really now? Sister's boyfriend, the good coach, her bestest buddy?! Just sick. [/spoilers]

Divergent, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Tiger's Curse, Wings, Nine lives of Chloe King, ect, ect ect, I can list a lot that made me double take.

I'm all for survival, but the end was pretty terrible if you ask me. It seemed Rowling didn't put any heart into it. There was just something wrong with it, in comparison with the rest of the later books.

I think the more books someone writes of one series, the harder it is to keep them good.

who guessed/expected Tris to die? I don't know if I expected for her to shove Caleb in there, but after she survived the death serum... and got shot... WHAT THE? to happen in Allegiant?

I wouldn't call it the most unexpected plot twist, but in John Green's Looking for Alaska when Alaska dies…was NOT expecting that at all. I cried for a long time; I don't know why, I didn't even like her that much. To be honest, I think John Green isn't great with his characters *except* in Paper Towns. Paper Towns was great. Okay, I'm getting off topic now. tongue.gif

When Morrowseer reveals to the Dragonets of Destiny that the prophecy isn't real.

In Neil Gaiman's American Gods, the ending threw me off completely.

SPOILERS:

When it's revealed Mr Wednesday is Shadow's father AND that the entire New Gods vs Old Gods was just a plan by Mr Wednesday and Low-Key Lyesmith AND therefore Low-Key was Mr World.

Actually, Mr Wednesday dying befoe all that confused me too.

You too? Although mine had to be when Lauren came "back to life" after drinking from the Well of Urd. Actually, now that I know the myth behind it, it isn't surprising at all, but it was mindblowing when Urd, Skruld, and Verdandi gave her the water and Laren just threw up everything. I thought then that she going to be actually... Dead.

Or when I learned that Odin was going along with Loki's plan.. "It's a two-man con, as they say."

Edited by beiningtian

In Mockingjay when they're debating whether or not to have a last hunger games with the Capitol's children and Katniss agrees

In the Heroes of Olympus series, when I found out Nico was gay. Wow. (Not that I have anything against that, It was just really surprising considering he was all underworld, darkness, death, etc.)