Capture

The Most unexpected Plot Twists

I didn't see this topic anywahere, and if it exists, feel free to delete.

This thread is for the most unexpected plot twists. For example, I'll name a few:

In city of Bones, when the love interest turns out to be the heroine's brother. I was like... well dang.

EDIT(READ):

IF YOU HAVE A SPOLIER, PLEASE PUT IT IN WHITE AND LABEL IT. THAT WAY, IF ONE DOES NOT WANT TO READ IT, THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED.

Edited by Capture

The eucatastrophe in Lord of the Rings. smile.gif When I first read the books I was honestly not expecting things to turn out the way they did.

When I went to see Predators in theaters, the nice, helpful, awesome doctor turned out to be a serial killer.

And I liked him, dayaaaaam!! Though he reminded me too much of his character Eric from That 70's Show... grr xd.png

Edited by predatorfan4ever

but other plot twists?

Haryr potter number 7: When Snape turns out to be actually good smile.gif

Yeah, this and Harry surviving. A lot ( alot.pngtongue.gif ) of people expected him to die, mostly so that there couldn't be hundreds of copy-cats with pathetic little stories. I'm all for survival, but the end was pretty terrible if you ask me. It seemed Rowling didn't put any heart into it. There was just something wrong with it, in comparison with the rest of the later books.

My Sister's Keeper

That plot twist was pure genius. I won't give spoilers, but to anyone who read the book, you know what I'm talking about. I hate how the movie cut out that epic plot twist. That's the whole reason I stood up and screamed at the TV screen when the movie was over. I was just so disappointed in the conclusion.

Lol, spoilers everywhere

/shrugs

I never expected Harry to die. Ending a YA series with the death of your protagonist doesn't go over too well on marketing.

Iain M. Banks is one of my favorite authors. His novels tend to wind on and on for the first few hundred pages, then in the last five or so he wraps up tight and throws in something completely unexpected -

- and then the book ends.

Use of Weapons has an insane reveal. Incidentally, not counting the epilogues, it's on the very last page smile.gif

In Odyssey 3001 I kinda guessed what the obelisks were for but how / who dealt with them was a surpise.

In First Men In The Moon I was suprised that one of the characters was left in a horrible (death?) situation especially since he was the more likeable character.

I think ending a book with the death of a the protagonist is sublime. If Rowling had done that, it would have been great!

I, personally, in a trilogy I was working on, I killed the protagonist in the second book.

It's not all that rare, in the Pillars of the World, the author did that halfway into the book.

Oh, in Midnight at the Well of Souls, by Jack L. Chalker, the main character (who you suspect is kind of old, but not this old) turns out to be even older than I am. Thousands of years older than I am, even though the book is set way in the future. The main character was friends with Napoleon Bonaparte, and was alive when the Greek civilization was still thriving. I have yet to know why he has lived so long. I suspect some kind of curse. Still, I wasn't expecting him to be familiar with things like Napoleon and stuff.

I think ending a book with the death of a the protagonist is sublime. If Rowling had done that, it would have been great!

I, personally, in a trilogy I was working on, I killed the protagonist in the second book.

It's not all that rare, in the Pillars of the World, the author did that halfway into the book.

It's fine for a book not marketed to children, or for a book that already has multiple PoV. But HP is a "children's" fantasy series and draws on all its tropes, including the I-am-destined-to-do-awesome-thing-and-I-will-somehow-do-it-without-dying. It's the sidekick that gets to die so the main character can grow up about it. Books marketed to adults, go on, deconstruct that all you want. I would be happy to read your novel if/when it's published smile.gif

It's sublime, but honestly, I don't think the publishers would be too happy with a series ending in a dead Harry. Ridiculous how innocuous a book ending can be and still have parents sue to get the book removed from all over the place.

The twists in Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn.

They weren't 'unexpected.' Meyer's foreshadowing is about as subtle as being hit in the face with a tuna. But as each one came to pass, I couldn't believe that she actually went through with them. D;

-thinks-

... A Series of Unfortunate Events, book ten. Did not see that coming.

Other than that? I've got a knack for predicting things, I find spoilers, or I'm just not surprised by anything.

The twists in Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn.

They weren't 'unexpected.' Meyer's foreshadowing is about as  subtle as being hit in the face with a tuna. But as each one came to pass, I couldn't believe that she actually went through with them. D;

wub.gif I love your phrasing. The tuna bit especially.

Edited by Elleth

In The Sight, the main character Larka actually does die in the end.

The first Saw movie.

When Jigsaw was finally revealed I was gob smacked.

This. When I first saw it I sat with my jaw dropped for 10 minutes before finally moving again. So I over exaggerated a bit but still... it was a pretty big twist.

It's fine for a book not marketed to children, or for a book that already has multiple PoV. But HP is a "children's" fantasy series and draws on all its tropes, including the I-am-destined-to-do-awesome-thing-and-I-will-somehow-do-it-without-dying. It's the sidekick that gets to die so the main character can grow up about it. Books marketed to adults, go on, deconstruct that all you want. I would be happy to read your novel if/when it's published smile.gif

It's sublime, but honestly, I don't think the publishers would be too happy with a series ending in a dead Harry. Ridiculous how innocuous a book ending can be and still have parents sue to get the book removed from all over the place.

Was a child's book when I started reading them, around the age of 10. I would not let my 10 years old read Deathly Hallows, or HBP. Not until he's grown a bit and can fully understand the story without keeping me awake due to nightmares.

The books evolved along with the readers, only to finish in such a clichéd way, it didn't even look like Rowling had written it.

In The Sight, the main character Larka actually does die in the end.

lol spoilers.

But I loved that. A lot.

AHEMHUMHEMM.

(again, yes)

DRAGONNIGHTHOWLER.

Yes, I'll admit it, I'm younger than some of you here but I read A LOT.

and also, I read HBP when i was like 9 or so. Or whenever it came out.

You know? That's great! Reading is fantastic.

But, if I was a mother, I wouldn't let my young kids read it, because I don't consider the latter books to be for kids that young.

I agree with the top posts. I read the book The Orpheus Obsession when I was about eleven, and I was like, "...Eh?!" some parts were a little much for an eleven year old. And unfortunately, the summary on the back of the book hadn't said anything about that. x.x

Ja. Same with Sunshine. All it said was a leetle info about how she was captured, bu tnothing after that. If I had known she would fall in love and...you know...that... , I would've thought before I'd read it.

But it was a good book, excluding the romance parts.