Capture

The Most unexpected Plot Twists

darkangel, good for you! I apparently read above my age level when I was younger as well.

I dunno what you guys mean by not wanting your kids to read Harry Potter. It's a good story and teaches lessons. Those would be at the top of my list of books to give to my kids once they're able to read it.

Heck, one of the kindergartners I worked with after school last year was reading the Twilight books. I think I'd rather have her read Harry Potter...

/shrugs

I think if the kid wants to read it and actually finishes it, it's fine. I'm of course biased by having read NC-17 material at 12 and not having the slightest interest in acting out any of it in real life.

I can't find anything particularly objectionable in Sunshine's summary, darkangel787. Can you be more specific?

@Aurion

Lol.

Yeah, I'd give it to kindergarteners any day, as long asthey show the flair for reading that I showed... xd.png I read the first book when I was in kindergarten or first grade or smoething like that and loved it...I remember carrying it around with me everywhere I went and my friends calling me nerd.

...Ahh...good times... *goes off reminiscing* wub.gif

In The Sight, the main character Larka actually does die in the end.

That DID make me go 'whoa.' And then I spazzed and cried for a week. DX

Breaking Dawn's twist when she actually does have a kid wasn't surprising, really, but I DID make me go 'WTF?'

HP had a lot of twists that made me say 'whoa' to myself too. O.o

IKR. HP, especially numbers 5 6 and 7 made me WHOA all the time ohmy.gif Like...

SPOILERS AHEAD!

(though I can't imagine WHY you haven't read HP yet. READ IT NAOW! NOW! NOW!)

Like, when i heard the prophecy, I was like WHOA.

And when Snape "killed" Dumbledore I was like WHOA.

And when the Doe showed up in bk 7 I was like WHOA

And when they found out Snape's good I was like WHOA.

And when the final flaws in the plan nd the harry vs voldy face off happened I was like... that's right, you guessed it.... WHOA.

Lots of Whoas in the book. xd.png

I've got a knack for predicting things, I find spoilers, or I'm just not surprised by anything.

^ This, except in the 2nd Demonata Book where it turns out his younger brother is a demon, I was a lil shocked but I still figured it out before I was suppost too.

In The Warrior Heir, Love Interest turns out to be working for the other team.

In The Darkest Hour, how Scorge kills Tigerstar. All nine lives, just down the drain. And for a plot line cat like Tigerstar? blink.gif

Nya.

WHOEVER MENTIONED THE WARRIOR HEIR WINS A MILLION INTERNETS!

Amen to that! I love that series!

Read all three of the books tongue.gif also in the Dragon Heir the main character in the Wizard heir (the book before) has a love interest that turns out to be a sucker up of wizardry and then at the end turns out to be...

SPOILER

the actual Dragon Heir.

OH GOD I HAVEN'T READ THAT ONE YET PLEASE PUT SPOILER TAGS AAAAAAAAAAAAH!! *covers eyes and runs away*

*ahem*

But seriously, there should be a rule in here about spoilers.

I agree about the spoilers.

IF YOU HAVE A SPOILER, PLEASE PUT A SPOILER ALERT AND TYPE THEM IN WHITE SO THAT IF PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED, THEY CAN HIGHLIGHT THEM.

Hows that? :3

The Ranger's Apprentice, book 1. The Kalkara. All I'm gonna say. Actually the whole series has a lot of twists and turns. They are EXTREMELY good books. Even for an adult.

The second book, the ending. Spoiler alert: When the main character is kidnapped.

The third book, towards the middle. Spoiler: The drug addiction.

I could go on and on, but I shall save you from my rambling, haha. It's a great series though. I recommend it highly to young teenagers, or I started the series at I think 11. I still recommend it to young adults who like fantasy. And swords and stuff. Oh darn I'm still rambling.

For Firewing:

The story behind the gods.

... I just sort of cheered. And then I stopped cheering when Shade had to live a life basically worse than death.

Was a child's book when I started reading them, around the age of 10. I would not let my 10 years old read Deathly Hallows, or HBP. Not until he's grown a bit and can fully understand the story without keeping me awake due to nightmares.

The books evolved along with the readers, only to finish in such a clichéd way, it didn't even look like Rowling had written it.

Lol, I wus raised with the Harry Potter series and as such, I was raised with Deathly Hallows. I read the books at age ten. I didn't have a single nightmare. I only cried about Dobby, then I proceeded to read other books. =V

Yeah, the ending for Deathly Hallows sucked so bad I was about ready to start foaming at the mouth. Harry. Should. Have. Died. Everything would have been right in the world if he had just died.

Actually, I think the only books that have had a sort of lasting impression (worthy of nightmares) would be the Silverwing series.

They... pecked off the newborn's wings and sang to drown out his screams of pain and just left him to die...

God those books. o_o

Edited by Zovesta

Yeah. Kenneth Oppel = excellent writer.

In Airborn...

At the end the pirates ended up being on the island with them and capturing the boy and girl but then they get out ofthe death trap eventually xd.png

as soon as they WANT TO, I would let them read the Harry Potter series. Always gona keep the series, never gonna throw them out, I'm going to let my kids read them, then my grandkids, then my great grandchildren...

Edited by darkangel787

The one in Scott Lynch's The Gentleman censorkip.gif***s first book "The Lies of Locke Lamora" when it was revealed that the guy(s) trying to catch the thieves are actually the thieves themselves, really caught me off guard tongue.gif

Let's take a classic, shall we?

In Romeo and Juliet, when Mercutio dies. I had read it and misunderstood the context and thought that he had merely been fooling around and then he's all like, "okay, I go and die now." I was like "COME ON SHAKESPEARE!" <----Spolier.

I died a little inside.

For Firewing:

The story behind the gods.

... I just sort of cheered. And then I stopped cheering when Shade had to live a life basically worse than death.

It's not really a life worse than death- he's a part of everything, all life. He can be whatever he wants- maybe try being an owl again for a while, or maybe another bat...

Hm...I'd say Mockingjay.

Spoilers-- hilight to read.

I thought that the part in the middlish about Peeta wanting to kill katniss because his mind was hijacked by the tracker jacker poison was really interesting, and the part about Finnick being killed was nice, near the end. And also, the shooting of Coin was cool...and the part where katniss chose peeta in the end was disappointed for me, because I wanted Gale, but still I guess Peeta's better than Katniss living alone.

In guardians of ga'hoole where Bess discovers there is a sixth kingdom of owls. Really caught me off guard.

And also in the series, how the Band is exiled.

For unexpected plot twists, just pick up any of Agatha Christie's murder mysteries. The woman is truley the "Queen of Crime". Some of you may have had to read And Then There Were None for an english class, so you would know just how awesome her plot twists are. Seriously, branch out and read something that isn't in the fantasy genre (like pretty much all the other books listed above) and I think you will be impressed.

In James Patterson's newest book, The Post Card Killlers.

SPOILER: The young woman is the one coercing her handome male lover into helping her murder these young couples on vacation and it turns out he is her brother.

Edited by Kanaye

The Hunger Games Book Three: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

I did not expect Prim to be the one who dies.