Skypool

How Do YOU catch a rare egg

I glare at the main cave until a rare egg appears (Or a CB I need) and then click on it. I usually check the descriptions for anything - mostly the word "third size" "glow" "metallic" "hair" "touch" or other things.

Well, my connection is usually pretty fast and so I use the usual method: 3rd egg and refresh. I use words in the description like "metallic, glow, third size".

Last christmas I cought my eggs during the AP floods, on halloween I cought them with the Firefox method (refresh, click the right egg, the link opens in a new tab and refresh the old page).

Basically, I get rares by spending hours refreshing and then hopefully being lucky enough to be the first one to click on it.

Same here.. ^^" Most of the time I'm not very lucky and I takes usually a year until I manage to get them.

It works better for me if all the ninjas are hunting for a new release and let go the others. laugh.gif

Got mine from FFAs/random gifts; crazily refreshing helps.

I flick over the cave and AP and back though.

Trying to not be distracted. I fail. It's a good thing I had a little luck at Christmas this year >.>

I haven't obtained a metallic or trio yet, and I've been playing for six months.

What I want to know is how people usually do FFA's and trades. Once you're refreshing the page with the code, do you refresh as fast as your finger can hit F5, or do you let the page load a bit more? Trades usually mine have worked well, but with FFA's I've never gotten anything and I'm wondering if my technique is the most efficient.

Patience and concentration. Keep refreshing, and persist. Keep on your toes. For hunting in the cave, keep your mouse over the right egg, but AP hunting is less predictable.

As for FFAs and trades...I usually go hard out with F5. However, I have a pretty damn fast internet connection, so I don't know what it's like for people with slower connections.

Edited by EeveeSkitty

What I want to know is how people usually do FFA's and trades. Once you're refreshing the page with the code, do you refresh as fast as your finger can hit F5, or do you let the page load a bit more? Trades usually mine have worked well, but with FFA's I've never gotten anything and I'm wondering if my technique is the most efficient.

Got pretty much all of my rares (except the Christmases) through gifts, refreshing as fast as I can.

What I want to know is how people usually do FFA's and trades.  Once you're refreshing the page with the code, do you refresh as fast as your finger can hit F5, or do you let the page load a bit more?  Trades usually mine have worked well, but with FFA's I've never gotten anything and I'm wondering if my technique is the most efficient.

I've heard that if you don't let the page load at least partially, it sometimes won't register and you'll miss the egg. Now, I have no idea if that's true, but my method seems to work pretty well: I refresh, wait a two-count (one thousand one, one thousand two), and refresh again. (Now, when I'm waiting, that includes the page loading. I start my two-count the moment I hit refresh) Repeat, repeat, repeat. I usually start refreshing 10-15 seconds before the person actually drops, just to get "in the groove" and such, make sure I'm really in a rhythm with it. I don't trade all that often, maybe once every 2 months, but I've only lost two eggs with this method in all the time I've been playing.

Edited by Marie19R

AP, find eggs I don't recognize from prior owning, and click. If I fail, I just sit and repeat for anything I don't recognize.

I wanted a black, so I pretty much hunted for one, and my Canopy and Vine Eggs were just dumb luck, I swear. Hellfire was also by luck. And the Magi, Sunset, Spitfire (though I KNOW it's not rare, it seems so to me) and the Stone. I think i got my Pygmy from the main cave page.

Not sure if I actually have rares of any kind (other than, maybe, the black)

For the front page, FFAs, and trades disable Java and Images and F5 like mad. For the AP disable Java only. I've never seen a metallic in the cave, and I've been here since 2008. I caught a silver once off the AP, it stayed through 2 refreshes and I was almost too stunned to click.

On Holiday and new dragon releases, I use the Firefox trick. It's better to do if it's a mass drop.

If not, I just wait and seek for something rare.

Me? Lil' old me? I almost never go to the main cave anymore. I am the QUEEN of the AP. Plus, if you're lucky, you get pretty lineaged ones! (AKA I have a Valentine '09 that's also a Dorkface).

Oh another method I use that works well is knowing when to hunt for rares. On Holidays people will drop rares in the AP to make room for the new holiday eggs and the older ones if they don't have them yet. Everyone else is busy trying to catch the older holiday eggs from AP so your chances are better. This past week since the vdays started breeding I have seen 5 golds and three silvers in the AP.

I also build up a playlist of lucky songs. Any song I have caught a rare on in the past I will play over and over. Not only does the music keep my calm and keep my mind clear but it's nice to have a theme song to your rare hunting xd.png. Do not mock the music it got me a red dino last night.

Another thing is never let your guard down. Don't you scratch your nose or look away for a second because that is goign to be the time the rare egg will show up and you'll not be ready to click it when it does. BE ALERT

Delphine, that is what I do! I got a gold hatchling that way. I managed to catch some of my harder-to-find breeds this Valentine's season using the same principle.

I also use music to catch eggs. There are some songs I can't listen to without thinking of the cave now, because I would listen to them to catch eggs.

I've also learned to have at least one hand on the mouse when I refresh the page. I've refreshed, seen a rare egg go by, and had my hand scratching my nose. I don't make that mistake anymore.

I also have a positive attitude. I know that if I keep trying, I'll get the eggs I want.

~Removed; the content of this post is no longer relevant to today's cave and is in fact not allowed~ Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I just go the the AP or the Main page and click F5 over and over until i see something i like then i dash like a mad lady and click so i can get it. haha it works..most of the time.

Click like censorkip.gif and hope for a lucky break. Maybe that's why my self-caught rare count is almost close to nil.

I memorized all the description and then I let my reflex do the rest. I don't even realized I get the egg before I clicked it. tongue.gif

I only stalking AP and cave when it's holiday like this.

~Removed; the content of this post is no longer relevant to today's cave and is in fact not allowed~ Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I've heard that if you don't let the page load at least partially, it sometimes won't register and you'll miss the egg. Now, I have no idea if that's true, but my method seems to work pretty well: I refresh, wait a two-count (one thousand one, one thousand two), and refresh again. (Now, when I'm waiting, that includes the page loading. I start my two-count the moment I hit refresh) Repeat, repeat, repeat. I usually start refreshing 10-15 seconds before the person actually drops, just to get "in the groove" and such, make sure I'm really in a rhythm with it. I don't trade all that often, maybe once every 2 months, but I've only lost two eggs with this method in all the time I've been playing.

Not true. For FFAs and trades, I refresh like mad, and I mean MAD. Like every half-second mad, as fast as I can go. The page never loads, but I almost always get the egg (if others the trying for it, I may miss). I have slow NZ broadband, but it works every time.

So a tip, you don't need to wait for the page to load, if you have internet at least as fast as New Zealand broadband (which isn't as fast as it is in the rest of the world)

If I'm stalking the Cave, I keep my cursor over the third spot and refresh every second or so. I've memorized key words in the description of each egg I'm looking for, and whenever I see that word pop up, I click (possibly more than once) and hope I get the egg. It worked really well when I went on my Summer catching frenzy, except I trained myself way too well to catch them and ended up with many more than were wanted.

If I'm lurking in the AP, I usually keep my cursor up in the top left corner, and if there's a hatchie/low time egg, grab it. Otherwise, if I see a pic I recognize, click it and hope I get lucky. I'm better with the Cave, though. It helps to stalk the AP when new eggs are being released, as people will drop ANYTHING to make room.

And, of course, trades/gifting/free-for-alls! That's how I got most of my older rare eggs before I figured out how to catch. If you have a fast 'net connection, you'll do well- I've almost never missed.

Good luck!