Skypool

How Do YOU catch a rare egg

I don't catch rare eggs. I breed em. Coz it's freaking next to impossible to catch em nowadays >_<

Lol, congrats, nice to hear that someone can still breed.

My dragons too often seem to suffer from ennui.

Perhaps I ought to take them out more, to get them in the mood...

Psychotically good luck... 3 of my trios and a paper came from hunting the cave for ND fodder. I'd watch my watch for the exact second it'd turn and refresh and click with out even looking.

Most of my metals are from trades. My caught ones come from being online at horrendously late/early hours and spazz clicking in the AP

I think it's luck... I pass my free time on the Cave and put my mouse on the third egg... and wait... and refresh... xd.png and then !"CLICK"

If I'm luck, I get something interesting... if I not... well... I continue trying

Well, I stalk the AP and refresh, refresh, refresh until a gold or a silver eventually pops up. I spaz-click on it - see the code... eyes wide with awe *faints* I caught my first ever metallic - a silver - from the AP. And 2 golds lately.

But mostly my first metallics were gifts. And a majority of them came from breeding. smile.gif

Pure dumb luck.

Yes for me it all comes down to luck. In my entire years on this site I've only ever seen 3 cb slivers and ONE cb gold.

Yes in years that is all I have seen never caught one.

Kinda sad considering how long I have been on this site ><

Everyday I kick myself for not picking up cb blacks when they where actually common. xP

Stuff stalking the AP and Cave, stalk the IRC biggrin.gif I got my first gold and first silver by trading release eggs.

Dino, I snagged that in the AP.

When I see some rares in the cave I use to click on them as fast as I can, but I use to only see them when my scroll is locked, so I only get the "You already have too many eggs ......."-message.

When I stalk the AP I use to not click on the rare eggs I see just in case they're a gift to someone, and those times I do click on them I miss them but sometimes I get them (those times are the worst since I always think that I've taken someones gift/tarde).

And when it is a new release I use to update the page two times in a row and then click on the eggs as fast as I can (and this use to work quite good if I might say so myself).

I hover over the third egg and use control-R repeatedly while clicking...sometimes it works...but most often not. xd.png;

I also go to Giving tree...although that only works when I don't have one of that rare yet.

Edited by VioletWhirlwind

Just wait. If there are common CBs around, sometimes I grab them and bite them. I have been lucky with a dino, a chees and two cb Vines, but I have NEVER EVER seen a metallic CB egg.

I got VERY lucky with CB Summer eggs. Normally seasonals are hard to get.

Oh, and don't bother looking when everything is slow. There is no point because nothing loads fast enough.

I have seen a cb silver once, during my first days here. Recognized it for what it was, but with awe-shock and a slow PC/connection I had no chance.

Now my reflexes are a bit more honed and I use the old "refresh and hover" approach with as few programs running as possible (apart from music) and change from cave to AP either rapidly (risky, blink and miss it) or stick to one of the two until my concentration starts to falter (needs more discipline).

Successes so far are just two cheeses if you only count rares. *shrugs* But I caught four hellfires (two of them cbs as favors for a friend) , three nebulas, two electrics and a few other uncommons. Oh, and 2 of the new hot ones smile.gif Since I'm fairly new and often locked I'm proud of anything good I catch.

Edited by Valfaris

Mostly I just turn off java, press the F5 key and hope that my reflexes are super fast. I've caught most of my rares that way others were through trading or came from friends that also play the game. I think I caught my CB Gold by some crazy miracle because I even hesitated for a second before clicking, thought my eyes were playing tricks on me D:

I also use the 3rd Egg Hover + F5 method. It helps if you have a fast connection speed and fast fingers. Instead of memorizing the whole description, I usually look for a keyword in the description of the egg I'm looking for. If I misclick, I can always abandon later.

I've been on DC for nearly two years now, and I've only ever seen one Gold and two Silvers come through the Cave. I caught my first Gold (and the only one on my scroll not bred there) from the AP. My first Silver was a very generous gift and all but one or two of the others are children of that first one. I haven't seen a Magma or Thunder in the Cave for a long time, though I've caught a CB Ice within the last six months.

The thing I love about AP hunting is that if you pick up an egg with a lineage that makes you gag, you can toss it back right away.

sit and click! my method isn't exactly refined but it's got me a few rare dragons! i usually do other stuff at the same time and keep refreshing the AP and the main page.

Um, it depends on the rares, dude. You may not actually get a rare. :|

I really can't care less about a lineage, I just play the game. tongue.gif

I have caught exactly one metallic from the Cave in my time here. A CB Silver, and was gifted one by my sister-in-law (lovely, generous sister-in-law!!) when she caught one. And yes, I did try to convince her to keep it but she insisted. O_o Anyway, I have caught eight cave born blacks (before they totally dried up from dropping in the Cave) and actually three more that were traded for metallics as they were rare even then. I consider the CB Blacks rarity right now to be on par with the CB Silivers and Golds', no they're technically not worth the metallics asking price in a trade certainly but they help to buttress up any breeding program and so many of the "old" commons are hard to come by now. My technique? Time, time, time. I've spent many, many hours refreshing and waiting. I've also been a big fan of changing up times I hunt. If you fall into a predictable pattern (say every day after work or school) you'll be less likely to pick a rare up. My sister-in-law caught the CB Silver (now named Lily of the Valley in French) on a Tuesday night at just around midnight. Now those of us who work or have families to care for may not be able to completely throw time constraints out the window but any extra time you can carve out always helps.

Edited by Misha

I usually go to the AP and refresh constantly. I try to go the the AP because most of the eggs have a low time left, and of which I always go crazy with click-sites so they grow fast :3

I think I've only ever seen maybe two silvers and a gold in on the Cave page since I've been here... But I've never avidly hunted for them, so that might account for some of it. :3

My Golds have been highly productive lately though. I've had three or four eggs in the last two months.

Like so many have said, I refresh constantly, cursor over the far right spot and watch for what I want. I have a few chatty friends and will often do this on the phone, I caught my female CB gold this way. I was so surprised I had to walk away from the computer to finish the conversation.

Refresh constantly, spam click, and hover over the 3rd egg spot. Though, by chance, I caught a CB silver in the 1st egg spot (cause it was a new hour drop)

I caught 4 CB trios, a CB black and a CB silver spam clicking. :]

The last cb rare (gold) I caught was when I randomly decided to check dc one day after a hiatus u__u

it was just a walk-in.

Usually I just sit there like a zombie rfing the page haha.

Edited by Zerokins

I have converted my basement into an efficient workspace with 50 computers and a team of 100 highly trained slave chimps. They sit there for 12 hours a day, rotating their shifts at the siren I have set up and do nothing but refresh over and over, searching for key words such as "glow" and "metallic".

If a chimp manages to catch a rare egg they are rewarded with a peanut butter and banana sandwich, whilst the rest have to eat boiled rice and dry bread. It's really efficinet, you should try it out!

Nah I kid. I use the old "hover over the third egg and refresh continuously" or flick between the AP and main cave. I can catch AP blacks and such fairly effectively, but I don't see many rares in-cave...