Skypool

How Do YOU catch a rare egg

i keep & memorize a list of keywords to look for and flip through the biomes at 5 minute drops or at the top of the hour, and i tend to focus more on biomes that have eggs that are more likely to be taken in the next minute. it also takes plenty of patience, luck, and persistence, but i've been blessed enough lately to get two coppers and three lunar heralds in the past two weeks 👌

also!

this isn't exclusive to catching rares as i do it with any egg i catch, but i always click with the scroll wheel to open the egg in a new tab. as a previous poster said, rares can and sometimes do appear behind other rares!

Edited by catmosphere

i keep & memorize a list of keywords to look for and flip through the biomes at 5 minute drops or at the top of the hour, and i tend to focus more on biomes that have eggs that are more likely to be taken in the next minute. it also takes plenty of patience, luck, and persistence, but i've been blessed enough lately to get two coppers and three lunar heralds in the past two weeks 👌

also!

this isn't exclusive to catching rares as i do it with any egg i catch, but i always click with the scroll wheel to open the egg in a new tab. as a previous poster said, rares can and sometimes do appear behind other rares!

What is this 5 minute drop? and how do you know

What is this 5 minute drop? and how do you know

Every five minutes after the hourly drop, the eggs get 'shuffled' and new ones come to the top of the biome. It's usually a small drop of new eggs on top of the ones that were already there, if I understand it correctly, and the hourly and half-hour drops are both larger. I've gotten several Xenos and Coppers by hunting in the 5-min drops.

Every five minutes after the hourly drop, the eggs get 'shuffled' and new ones come to the top of the biome. It's usually a small drop of new eggs on top of the ones that were already there, if I understand it correctly, and the hourly and half-hour drops are both larger. I've gotten several Xenos and Coppers by hunting in the 5-min drops.

How do you know it's been five minutes after the hourly drop? Is it just based on the dragcave time? like for example 1:05 EDT?

How do you know it's been five minutes after the hourly drop? Is it just based on the dragcave time? like for example 1:05 EDT?

Yes, exactly. Five minutes is the same no matter where you are in the world, since the hourly drops happen exactly on the dot -- 11:00, for example. So the 5 minute drops would happen at 11:05, 11:10, 11:15, and so on. You can go by dragon cave time if it makes you feel more secure, but I'm pretty sure that DC hours turn over at the same time every other time zone's hours turn over. At least mine do, and I'm an hour behind DC.

Yes, exactly. Five minutes is the same no matter where you are in the world, since the hourly drops happen exactly on the dot -- 11:00, for example. So the 5 minute drops would happen at 11:05, 11:10, 11:15, and so on. You can go by dragon cave time if it makes you feel more secure, but I'm pretty sure that DC hours turn over at the same time every other time zone's hours turn over. At least mine do, and I'm an hour behind DC.

Thank you so much. I feel like I've figured out another DC secret that I should have known about before.

I'll, hopefully, be able to get more rare eggs now smile.gif

Hope this isn't a necro, but just got my CB Silver with this method. http://dragcave.net/view/scxe5

I shared this method with my friend, and she ended up getting 2 CB Magma dragons in a row.

I don't understand...I tried control clicking but it gives the "this page can only be accessible from within the site message". Also, what is a scroll whee/?

^ I press Ctrl + Click and can get something just fine without that error message, so I'm not sure what's happening on your side. Maybe go to Help and report it.

The only time I get that error is when I copy the GET or ABANDONED URL and paste it in the URL bar.

Edit; Just tested it to make sure and I'm getting the "You're overburdened" message so Ctrl + Click is working.

Edited by predatorfan4ever

I just tested in...like an idiot in the cave. Forgetting that I wasn't locked, thinking I was, I picked up a Nhio egg. Locked for 5 hours. Crap. And I didn't even get to test it out...forgot to click it.

I never use hourly drops. I also hunt late, like 3-5 am cave time. There's less people and more chances that you'll get a rare that you missed. Still haven't got a CB metal myself yet sad.gif minus golden wyverns, I have plenty of those.

I was just idly surfing the cave the other day and I saw "This egg is very reflective, almost metallic-looking." I flipped my lid, man. Managed to catch it!

I just like to putz around on DC, sometimes I'm lucky!

Edited by scratcher_cat

What I noticed is that around 6-7 pm (DC time) is the peak hours where I usually get to catch some rare drops in the abandoned page. There would usually be around 30-50 people trying to get eggs so some rares and hatchlings were popping around randomly.

I got a tiny herd of Golden Wyverns and various Xenowyrms from the abandoned page from just like, a month or two of replaying. xd.png But as for metallics I still need more luck and faster clicking skills I guess, haha!

I'll be hunting for a specific dragons (BSA dragons usually) and then BAM. A paper or cheese or xeno shows up. Sometimes my click-reaction time is quick enough, sometimes not.

But then if I'm looking specifically for a rare: nothing.

There aren't many users online during my time so its a bit easier to catch rares. I usually wait around the 5 minute drops. I play dragon cave on my phone and for some reason I have better luck grabbing the eggs compared to when I use the computer site.

with great enthusiasm.

I now have a touch screen computer so take that literally. I basically punched my laptop a couple months ago when I caught a CB gold. (...not with great frequency)

I swap biomes as soon as the page loads and open catches in new tabs on both the cave and ap.

Edited by scratcher_cat

Refresh and ready the click, then hope my reflex is good enough. Usually isn't lol

I don't really go rare egg hunting. Whenever I'm not egglocked, I check te AP and the caves for whatever catches my eye, and when I see something rare, I click it and hope I get lucky.

Alternate through all the biomes quickly and sometimes get lucky.

What if I don't even get to see the super rare eggs? I'm following all the tipps above but I haven't seen a golden egg in years and only two silver eggs during the last few months (which I failed to grab). What can I do better?

they are super rare i think!
i was pretty bad in catching rares, too, but now with the 5 min drops i managed to catch a thunder, paper and cheese for me and a few zyus and Xenos. 
But i never saw a gold or silver one, i think for them you have to sit and watch and let all other rares go by!

I honestly just check all locations as often as I can afford to with the time I have on my hands. It's worked alright so far, but eh. I mostly catch unbreedable rares rather than breedable ones. the only breedable egg I (finally) managed to catch in the cave is a Xenowyrm (Mageia) and it hasn't been that long really. I caught him on Oct 19 so just a few days ago. Yesterday I caught yet another unbreedable (Yellow dino) just by regularly checking all locations.The other CB rares I have I either got from the AP or from another user (for example my best friend gave me a CB thunder she caught on Oct 22.)

Reality is I guess my technique isn't that efficient though, cause I don't really have that many CB rares, The only breedable ones I have are a thunder, a xeno, a golden wyvern, a copper, and a blusang. 
No CB VRs for me. But, I do have a couple VRs with very, very nice lineages.