Skypool

How Do YOU catch a rare egg

I often use this Halloween havoc or any other holiday frenzy to lurk the biomes because most people wander off to the AP in search of past holidays and interesting lineages. It really works. smile.gif

Every year I tell myself I am going to skip the AP and park in the biomes and try to catch rares... and ever year I load up on holidays instead because I can't resist them! xd.png

I DID however get a CB Silver during the brief stint I did do in the biomes this year, even with the horrendous lag we were having that day, so it definitely helps to have all the usual fast grabbers in the AP or locked. smile.gif

How I catch rares:

With peanut butter, duct tape and a box.

cool.gif

In all seriousness, it's luck. Random amounts of sporadic luck. sleep.gif'

Well, the cave updates once every five minutes, so I start refreshing around every xx:x4 or xx:x9 (f5 doesn't work on my computer).

Tend to stay in the less populated environments (Not Alpine or Volcano)

Know keywords of rare dragons

Hover around the center or an odd mouse position as people are more likely to be aiming for the first position.

Alternatively, stay around this forum for potential eggs and trades

Alternatively, trade on the Dragonmarket of "Eggs around the World"

Rest is up to luck.

Edited by NecronLordofLawtan

Incredibly dumb luck paired with copious amounts of refreshing via ctrl+r. Being present at the five minute egg shuffles nets me more "dumb luck" than being present at the :00 drop as the latter tends to result in mass lag.

If not dumb luck, being present at the release of a dragon is my most reliable method of catching rares as ratios are usually unbalanced at the initial drop. After the drop, and if the dragon is rare; whether through design or user demand, my ability to catch them becomes quite sporadic and unpredictable. Looking at you, Coppers ♥, I'll catch a pair of red and greens eventually! •3•

With rares in the AP, it's dumb luck multiplied by ctrl+r multiplied by more dumb luck. My reaction time with images isn't as good as it is with words. xd.png

i have the worst luck when it comes to rare dragons, my friends are more lucky. Theu were playing dragcave a lot shorter the me but got dinos and such

well there is always the giving tree on the forums but i feel bad to ask too many dragons

i ctrl+click the third egg, refresh, then repeat. it guarantees i'll get the next 5 eggs from that slot--and there's a small chance one of them will be rare. that's how i got my two dinos, and my two CB alts

In all seriousness, it's luck. Random amounts of sporadic luck. sleep.gif'

This.

More often than not I fail epically at catching rares. IF I spot one, I have been known to sit their gawking in shock instead of CLICKING> xd.png ANYHOW, so if I do catch anything half-way rare, it is generally a stroke of good luck.

When I try to hunt for something specific, and that something is counted as a rare dragon breed, I sometimes ask my sister if I can log in on Google Chrome when she's not on the site because refreshing on Chrome works better and faster than on Mozilla Firefox. And more often than not, I get lucky. This is how I just caught my brown copper, I highly doubt that I'd even SEE it if I stayed on Firefox. sad.gif

Itchy clicker finger all the way. I have an automated "this description does not fit" checker in my mind which usually serves me well, unless my computer glitches and refuses to load DC. I usually stick around for the 5 minute instead of the hourly drops because they don't kill my computer as often. I've caugt a Dino recently (which made me freak out and stare in shock when I got it), a Mageia Xeno (I traded it though), an Ice, and I think 3 GWs.

I got my first gold during 2014 Valentine, my third gold during 2014 halloween.

Silvers are less hard to get, but I see more during holidays too.

I use chrome. And I use command+R to refresh the page.

I also have the timer shows on the top right corner of my screen, so I can start refreshing at approximately xx:xx:58.

However, every hour at xx:00:10~xx:00:30, the website is extremely slow, and it becomes so difficult to catch the rares...

Edited by CuteDragons

I just click on all of the biomes, one-by-one, and look for any changes in the descriptions. I just keep repeating. If I see any Rares that I want, I click as soon as possible. Most of the time somebody else has already grabbed the egg but sometimes I get lucky!

OK, now, I know I am a new user, but, judging by the amount of CB rares I have obtained in such a short time, I think I am qualified to give some advice.

Step 1: Learn the descriptions

Reaction times and internet speeds aren't the only things that matter. If you learn the rare descriptions by heart, you won't take as long to identify the rare and click. That gives you a huge advantage over people who have to read the description in full.

Step 2: Ethernet cables

This isn't a problem unless you have slow internet. I don't use Ethernet cables, and I can obtain CB rares. However, if you have bad internet, hard wire your PC to your router with an Ethernet cable. It will greatly increase loading speeds and make it that much easier to get a rare. Ethernet cables are availible online and Radio Shack or Home Depot probably has them.

Step 3: Accept your doing it wrong

The F5 method can work, but I have a much better one. Get all thoughts of F5 out of your head.

Step 4: Learn the better way

OK, by far the best way to catch CB rares is to do this. Hover over the biome in which the desired CB rare can be caught, or the biome with the least amount of people if you're not going for anything specific. Now, look at you clock. The second the time changes to a multiple of 5, drag your mouse over the egg on the far right. Then, quickly glance at the description. If it's a rare, click, and receive! You won't be the fastest every time, but this method in my experience works more than 50% of the time.

Step 5: Identify which eggs may be taken

This is the last step. If you don't get a rare, or even if you do, click around the biomes, and look for any rare or BSA eggs. Try to snatch the rares, and if not, keep refreshing the biome that has a BSA egg in it (if any do). That BSA egg will be taken soon, and a rare might drop. I have gotten 10% of my rares either 10 seconds or a minute after the drop by doing this.

Step 6: Enjoy!

You now have defeated the ultimate challenge, catching CB rares on DC with consistency. Tell your friends, your family, and the president.

i ctrl+click the third egg, refresh, then repeat. it guarantees i'll get the next 5 eggs from that slot--and there's a small chance one of them will be rare. that's how i got my two dinos, and my two CB alts

Hope this isn't a necro, but just got my CB Silver with this method. http://dragcave.net/view/scxe5

I shared this method with my friend, and she ended up getting 2 CB Magma dragons in a row.

Edited by MataSchmata

Refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh. It eventually works! I am fortunate enough to be a fast clicker too.

-I hover my cursor over the third egg in any cave that I feel is moving the fastest at the time and refresh.

-I pay extra attention to the 5min and hourly changes.

-To save time, I look for key words/short phrases instead of reading an entire egg description.

-If I want something, I middle-click (press scroll wheel) to send it to a different tab and refresh again. I have seen rares right behind another. Albeit extremely rarely.

My method has granted me 19 CB metals and plenty of other rares so far. happy.gif

I do miss some by clicking too slow, but I've caught about 80-90% of what I've actually seen and wanted.

Do you stay in one Biome all the time or hop around? Although I've been here for ages, I've only managed to snag 2 CB Silvers myself and 1 CB Gold - the 2 other Silvers were gifts as were the few other Golds. I never seem to see them.

I skim biomes for eggs that are likely to be taken in the next minute and linger until I see the extreme cave blockers, then move on to a biome that may move faster.

Do you stay in one Biome all the time or hop around? Although I've been here for ages, I've only managed to snag 2 CB Silvers myself and 1 CB Gold - the 2 other Silvers were gifts as were the few other Golds. I never seem to see them.

Personally, I hop continuously, that has been working for me.

I usually wait until the 5 minute drops, then click through the biomes quickly. I use code words, usually at the end of descriptions to recognize eggs. It usually works out pretty well if I'm patient enough.

I've only ever caught a true rare--a male Silver--out of luck; it was the Halloween breeding season, and most people weren't in the biomes at the timer. The rest of mine have been traded for, I'm pretty sure. Coppers and other user-driven rares are a bit easier; it's mostly a matter of processing "HOLY CRAP A COPPER/BLUSANG/XENO" before I refresh or go to a different biome.

I tend to memorize key words in the egg's description and hop around continuously unless I'm looking for something specific, and I find that I have better luck with rares after a shuffle or on the hour. And, of course, luck, click speed and internet connection are factors as well.

refresh constantly, with my mouse hovering over one of the three eggs.... and then click when I see the egg I want

I've also a set list of keywords to look out for to identify the egg I'm looking for so I don't miss it

during holidays I use this in the abandoned too

after all that.... just plain dumb luck xd.png

Edited by syth

I hop through the biomes and click like mad if I see a rare. It worked for me a bunch of times with the legendaries.

I click on the biome of a rare I'm looking for a minute before the five minute drop and constantly refresh until the eggs change. If I see a rare I want then click as fast as I can, if not quickly hop through different biomes till I find one.