TPishek

Some sort of expanded lineage view

So currently a lineage page will only show the most recent 13 generations in a dragon's lineage. If the dragon has a longer lineage than that, you must click on one of the earlier generations and view its lineage to see how many additional generations there are.

The thing is, with a longer-generation dragon, it becomes almost impossible to know how many gens it actually is/see the rest of its ancestors.

For example, someone posted this in the Dorkface thread a few days ago. From clicking on a few of the dragons in that 13th column, I know that it is at least 18th gen, but I don't know for sure-- because in that column there are over 100 dragons. (I counted.) Checking that many dragons' lineages, then doing the math to figure out the actual generation length of the new egg, would be quite a task... even given that some of them are deceased and many are probably true CBs.

So I'm wondering if it would be possible to implement some sort of "expanded" lineage view. I'm not quite sure how it would work. In my head, I can see it having some sort of "View Older Generations" button, sort of like the Progeny page has "view/hide children" links that expand out. Maybe something along the lines of "currently viewing: generations 7-20 of 20"?

Anyway, looking for input.

Edited by TPishek

That sounds like a good idea to me. Especially with Dorkfaces, like you said, where they an get extremely long.

I like that idea, to have an expanded lineage, I know I have one Dorkface that's 14 generations, which isn't bad but if I continue to breed the successive generations it could get bad...

It would be helpful in trying to figure out if something is a true member of a lineage, and it'd be nice to just be able to see all the Dragons...

I like this idea. I have a 16th gen Dorkface, it'd be cool to see it's entire lineage sometime. o3o

Remember, each generation has twice the number of dragons as the previous generation to show. This could create a problem with loading all the images after the 13 generations, as far as loading times and screen size. I understand the problem for dragons with longer lineages, but it quickly becomes an extremely large number of dragons to show with each generation twice the number of the generation before. And scrolling through everything becomes more of a chore, as well.

It might be nice to show a + sign in the box of those dragons whose lineages go off the page, to indicate that there's more dragons in the lineage than can be seen.

Hmmm... That's true, raindear. Perhaps a new page, then? For every 13 generations, it loads on a new page, and could be indicated by a "next page" link, and you could have a "previous page" link once you get to the next page--and for those that are more than 2 pages, "last page" and "first page" links?

I like the idea of some kind of expanding lineage. A lot of my dragons have long lineages and some go beyond the 13 generations.

I think it could help if the ones that had more generations beyond them had a + displayed. That way at least you could know which ones to click to find more generations. It still would not help much for ones with truly immense lineages like the one TPishek is talking about, but for most dragons it would allow you to see at a glance if they go beyond the last generation displayed.

I think it could help if the ones that had more generations beyond them had a + displayed. That way at least you could know which ones to click to find more generations. It still would not help much for ones with truly immense lineages like the one TPishek is talking about, but for most dragons it would allow you to see at a glance if they go beyond the last generation displayed.

That sounds awesome. ;D

This is a very good idea.

This sounds good, much like how the "view children" in the prodigy page gets turned into a link... So maybe if you clicked the "+" or whatever was used, it would bring you to that dragon's lineage page to follow it further back.

...on that note....why not going the other direction, with a link at the current dragon's image to hop over to the prodigy page?

I've a frozen hatchie that AOND says has "at least 25 gens" and reports that the server cannot handle more just now, try again later. THEN (bbik is aware and trying to fix...) it came up with:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 261900 bytes) in /home/content/43/8217543/html/NDER/Lineage.php on line 260

I'd love to know....

ETA got mad and trawled. It seems it really is 25th gen, though there is a glitch somewhere as there's an ancestor where it says "there is no dragon with the code...." - maybe that's what upset allure. ANYWAY - I didn't know it was a dorkface, so not a totally wasted half hour xd.png Hastily renamed... biggrin.gif)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I've a frozen hatchie that AOND says has "at least 25 gens" and reports that the server cannot handle more just now, try again later. THEN (bbik is aware and trying to fix...) it came up with:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 261900 bytes) in /home/content/43/8217543/html/NDER/Lineage.php on line 260

I'd love to know....

ETA got mad and trawled. It seems it really is 25th gen, though there is a glitch somewhere as there's an ancestor where it says "there is no dragon with the code...." - maybe that's what upset allure. ANYWAY - I didn't know it was a dorkface, so not a totally wasted half hour xd.png Hastily renamed... biggrin.gif)

I checked out that hatchling, and it's also a Thuwed.

I checked out that hatchling, and it's also a Thuwed.

It is ??? Oops. Back to the damn lineage thing.... (How did you know which....?)

Oh yeah - I renamed biggrin.gif ETA LORD - and it's also a Ridiculous !

Edited by fuzzbucket