St. Jimmy

Language

I speak Korean, and I learned English.

I can speak Janpanese a little, but I am poor at French because I learned it for very short time.

My native language is German. I also speak English (obviously) and I´m learning Hungarian. I also had Latin and Ancient Greek at uni and I learned Tolkien´s Elvish languages for a while. smile.gif

My native language is Estonian. I also speak English well enough to read and write without any trouble. I can speak a bit of German as well but I haven't been taking my German lessons very seriously lately and it shows >.<

I've been considering learning another language but I'm not quite sure which. Russian sounds awesome (and there are quite a bit of Russians living here so it would come in handy) but so does French. Oh and then there's Japanese biggrin.gif I wouldn't mind being able to read/watch manga/anime without having to rely on translations.

Here's an interesting question for everyone: what language do you think in? Is it different from the language you normally speak? Do you think in more than one language?

I mostly think in Estonian but when I'm writing stories or simply surfing the net then I tend to thing in English quite often actually.

Edited by Cybele

I learned Tolkien´s Elvish languages for a while. smile.gif

YES YOU KNOW THERE'S MORE THAN ONE 8D

I know it's sad, but I get really annoyed when people say "Elvish". It's not Elvish, it's Sindarin or Quenya, or Avari if you really want to get technical.

/nerd

I don't actually speak any of the three--I think he only ever invented three words or something like that of Avari, anyway--but it's one of those things that has no practical application besides being really, really cool.

I'm fluent in English and I speak some Spanish. :>

i was learning Japanese until the teacher screwed me over and tried to put me back in japaneseI because I had a D (due to me going to the doctor every Friday of every week) which should have let me go to the next level, but he said no. it sucked. i have a friend who is in jap.II and she had an F but did she get held back.

yeah, thought so. I don't hate her though, i hate the teacher for all of this.

Native language is Spanish but English is what I use the most. I only speak Spanish when I'm around family members or when someone wants me to speak Spanish.

Even though I do know how to speak Spanish, I sometimes have problems reading it, let alone writing it. <.<

And.... is Coding consider a language?

I speak English. biggrin.gif

I can kind of understand Chinese/Taiwanese. I'm learning French in school and Japanese from a friend.

Edited by like-a-wind

What languages do you speak (or are learning to speak)?

I speak Finnish in native, english well, swedish not that well, german at school and some italian/spanish.

tongue.gif

I speak English and Latin.

It's really fun.

Has anyone here noticed that Americans speak English through their noses?

I'm only fluent in English and German (my first language). I used to be able to sit down and write a whole essay in French without looking at a dictionary once, but nowadays I'd have difficulties even asking for directions... which is sad, actually. I took beginners' courses in Swedish, Finnish and Tok Pisin, and it is fairly easy to understand Dutch but I can't speak it.

I'm Dutch, so obivously I speak that language. Furthermore I speak English fluently (which I should, for I study English) and I speak German. Please don't ask me to write an official letter in German though, my grammar sucks tongue.gif

Oh, and I kind of understand French, I am taught this language for 3 years at high school. Somehow I managed to get high marks, but I still don't (want to) understand why/how... it was merely learning out of heart instead of understanding.

Dustpuppy, as Dutch person I had to giggle about your post a little. Not for your post, but because so many Dutch do not realize that many (if not most) German understand our language. I have heard so many tales about people saying something not so nice about others, thinking they wouldn't be understood... and getting a sneer back rolleyes.gif

My mother language is Dutch. I also speak English, French and German and I understand some Spanish tongue.gif

Edited by BlueIce

Another Dutch person here tongue.gif So yeah, fluent in that. I also speak fluent English (studying to become an English-Dutch/Dutch-English translator, so I have to be xd.png ). I should be good at French as well since my parents live in the French part of Belgium, but somehow speaking it just doesn't work. I can understand it well, though and if I have enough time and a dictionary I can write it good as well. I just completely black out when I have to speak it.

Other than that I now some German, but not much. Just enough to survive on my own if I'm in Germany and get lost or something xd.png

Wut. o.o

I speak English, Spanish, Was learning Chinese and Arabic.

I can speak Spanish with an accent though biggrin.gif My parents say that I have a good ear. I would like to learn more languages but I never know what to learn. sad.gif

Fluent in English (native language), know enough Francais (French) to have at least a clue to what's being said when I read it. Watch anime in Nihongo (Japanese), but only know a few words and phrases. I would like to learn to be fluent in Nihongo. Learning ASL (American Sign Language) now. Only have 1 college semester of that atm.

EDIT:

You mean like when I don't feel like opening my mouth to say "yes", "no", "whatever", etc? Yeah, I can be that lazy. tongue.gif Useful, though. While it's rude to speak in front of someone who is Deaf, it can be helpful to ask a classmate something and not get caught, since our class has a no voice policy. (Not complaining about that, though. It really does help us learn, and I often just don't feel like speaking in the first place.)

Edited by AlternateMew

I know its an old joke, but I speak English and bad English.

I can also speak a smattering of pig-latin... if I go slow.

Lol. I speak english and some Japanese. And I can count to ten in spanish xd.png

I'm trying to speak Japanese, and Spanish. Well, i speak portuguese because i live on Brazil.. But i learned to speak english when i watched some youtube videos.

I don't like German language that much.

French, italian and chinese pwnz! Sort of...

Edited by Rubs

Ehh...

Puedo hablar en español a me, un poco. ¿Es una cosa buena, no?

...I think I just said 'I can talk in Spanish to myself, a little. That's a good thing, right?'

I take Spanish in school. I'm in Spanish 2, but I took Spanish 1 twice.

I hate it. I'm a senior in a class full of freshmen and sophmores and I hate them all. But I also dislike Spanish in general. I have a deep love of Japanese and I plan on taking it in college and probably minoring in it at least.