St. Jimmy

Language

I speak English and I'm fairly good at German (I should be I studied it for 5 years smile.gif ). I've picked up a few random Japanese words from watching anime and a few phrases in Latin due to studying Ancient Rome and I'd love to learn more of both. I'd also love to learn Russian (because it's an epic sounding language) and Welsh (because I'm pretty much Welsh and think it'd be good if I learnt it).

I speak english, a little bit of spanish.Want to learn more Japanese, I can count to 10 in Japanese.

ichi

ni

san

shi

go

roku

shichi

hachi

ku

ju

I'm a native English speaker, and I'm also just about conversant in German. I know enough French and Spanish to get by if I ever visit those countries, and can also speak smatterings of Welsh and Maori.

Well, I'm from Denmark - so obviously, Danish is my first language. smile.gif

Then I speak English and German.

I understand Swedish and Norwegian text, but I have a hard time understanding when hearing them, and I don't speak them.

Well, I took Foreign Languages in school, so I have knowledge in:

-Swedish

-English - practically fluent.

-Spanish - pretty good.

-Latin - easy.

-Russian - pretty good, but they talk so fast!

-Finnish + Mäenkieli - have basic understanding, but I have a hard time forming my own sentences. I learnt some from home, but not enough. The teacher I had in Finnish wasn't very active (and that's putting it nicely), so if you wanted to learn anything at all you had to do it pretty much on your own. I really want to get better in them both.

-Swedish Sign language - very good.

I understand some Japanese and can speak a few simple sentences. I watch too much anime. But I can't read or write it.

I want to add Icelandic to the list one day. Oh, and some Saami too. And Old Norse if that's possible.

I can understand Norwegian and Danish too. Norwegian is easy to understand both in written and spoken form. Danish is harder to understand spoken, and easier to read.

I have found that I can understand a little German even though I haven't studied it. But it's very limited.

Edited by Ripan

Hablo inglés y un poco español. Quiero aprender japones, chines, latín, y el alemán; me interese las idiomas muco. smile.gif

Ten cuidado con las palabras.

(You forgot the "h" in mucho. tongue.gif and excuse me if that's a grammar fail, we're just starting grammar in Spanish and my teacher is not the brightest with English grammar.)

(Also excuse the lack of accents and tildes. I don't have the keys for them.)

Hace frio, pero no tengo frio. Tengo calor. smile.gif Hace nieve y quiero ir esquiando en las montanas, pero primero necessito comprar un casco. Me encanta el invierno. Tendre una fiesta del invierno el viernes. biggrin.gif

Me gusta espanol, pero quiero aprender francais, y aleman tambien.

Our current Spanish topic is tener. Not conjugation, but stuff like, "tengo celos de Bill Gates, porque tiene mucho dinero." (Means: I am jealous of Bill Gates because he has a lot of money.) Before that we did the imperfect tense like, "Cuando yo era pequeno, yo jugaba en el patio de recreo." (Means: When I was small I used to play on the playground.) That was all review though. Pretty sad that we're just now finishing up review in December.

I've always spoken English and I always will. I have no motivation or patience to learn another language.

My native languages are Finnish and Estonian. Mainly Finnish because that's the language I use and listen to every day everywhere. I learnt Estonian as my second native language since my mom is from Estonia and she's talked it to me from ever since I was a baby.

In school I study Swedish and English. I could've studied German or French too, but I didn't choose them as subjects. English is quite a strong language for me, I can speak it almost as good as I speak Estonian. Swedish isn't that good; I dislike studying it since our teacher is an ***hole. xd.png

Well, my birth language is english, but I wa learn Italian because half my relatives speak that. Plus, I wanna understand what my nonno is always blabbering about. I am part Italian.... VIVA ITALIA!

English is my first language, so I'm definitely fluent in that. I'm not too bad at French, because I've been taking it for years (I'd consider myself semi-fluent, though I feel like a lot of the stuff we learn in class isn't really useful). I can understand really simple spoken Spanish, and a little bit of it written (my one friend took Spanish so she'd talk to me in Spanish and I'd talk back in French and we could pretty much understand one another), know a little bit of Dutch (mostly food words, and how to ask if you speak English), and I'm teaching myself Irish Gaelic, but it's going slowly. Oh, and I know a tiny little bit of ASL.

I want to learn a bunch of languages, though. I pretty much love languages, even though I'll likely be pursuing a career in science. tongue.gif

I come from sweden, so that's my head language, but I can read and listen to danish and norwegian without problems of understanding. I do not speak them fluently though.

And I speak english, but I don't think that I'm good in it, compared to others tongue.gif

I speak English, and very little Italian. I need to take Italian back up one of these days. I also want to learn German.

Here's an interesting question for everyone: what language do you think in? Is it different from the language you normally speak? Do you think in more than one language?

Here's an interesting question for everyone: what language do you think in? Is it different from the language you normally speak? Do you think in more than one language?

If not Swedish then English is very common. It's a side-effect from using it on a daily basis.

I've dreamt in Russian twice. It was strange because that was when I still was a newbie in it, and it contained words that I hadn't learnt in school at the time o.O

Edited by Ripan

Usually, I don't think in words, I think visually. But when I do think in words, it's in English or Na'vi, or very rarely a language I'm making up.

My first language is English, and I'm learning Spanish now.

Surprisingly enough, I often voice my thoughts in Spanish if I know how to. Most of the times it's just stupid things, like 'Where's my pencil?' or stuff like that.

My first language is English. Other languages I speak is malay... Thats it xd.png

Well other than that is chinese but I can't speak it but I can understand what they say.

I think in English, although I've been known to dream in German which can be more than a little peculiar.

English. Before and after my Spanish classes I sometimes think in Spanish, but only if I'm in the mood for it. I rarely think in Norwegian... But I probably should, considering it's my native language and all. dry.gif

My first language is Finnish.

I also speak fluent German and English and I've studied Swedish in school for 4,5 years, but I suck at it, just missing the motivation to study more than the basics.

I studied Japanese a few years ago, but I've forgotten almost everything.

Norwegian and English. My "regular" thoughts are practically always Norwegian, but my daydreams (which takes up quite a lot of time ><) are mainly English.

I have to admit that quite a bit of the time I think in thoughts (bad word choice, but I can't think of a better one) and feelings than in actually words, though I carry on conversations with myself and other people (I'm not insane, I swear) in my head quite a lot. Moreso in English, but in French more and more. smile.gif

my native language is Russian.

I also speak English (not that bad)

and learn French (much worse dry.gif )

English is my first language, so I'm definitely fluent in that.

This is not a go at you personally, as I rarely see you on the forums.

However, just because your first language is English doesn't make you fluent in it ;~)

/teacher.

This is not a go at you personally, as I rarely see you on the forums.

However, just because your first language is English doesn't make you fluent in it ;~)

/teacher.

I'm really more of a stalker of GD nowadays than anything. I used to be fairly active in the Other RPs section of the forum, but school got the best of me, so I'm not surprised you don't see me around much. smile.gif

And I agree, that is true; you don't necessarily have to be fluent in your first language. I'm quite sure my grandmother's not as fluent in her first language as she is in English anymore (she was born in Holland, so her first language was Dutch). But English is my first language, and since I live in Southern Ontario, it's the one predominately spoken (really, beyond French class it's the only one I ever hear spoken), so I am fluent in it. It wasn't the best wording on my part, I'll agree to that much, though. tongue.gif