St. Jimmy

Language

My first language is English, but I took German and Hmong in high school (because I changed schools and my new one didn't even HAVE German), but I can also handle myself in Pig Latin pretty well. xd.png

Ojibwe more specifically.

Such as Weenug means the F-word.

Waboose means rabbit.

And among other things x)

Okay, I was confused, because that looked like you were saying Native Americans all had one language, and as a Navajo that confused me.

English is my native tongue. I learned German in school and in Germany and still speak it quite fluently. I can understand some of what people say when they're speaking French but if I try to speak it myself, the words usually come out in German.

I forgot what language was my first language, but it was probably either Russian or English. I can understand and read Serbian pretty well, I obviously know English, and I'm trying to teach myself Japanese. I'd really like to fix my Serbian, because right now I can't speak it or write it. -fail-

I speak English. I know some Spanish, and bits of French, German, and Russian, and tidbits of others. I am learning Spanish and (unofficially) Russian, and I REALLY want to learnn Russian (and Spanish, or course biggrin.gif) I would also like to learn French (it sounds hard though =3=), Italian, German (maybe), Latin, maybe Greek, and anything else (Ukrainian or something trippy like that. Or Belarusian, since it's dying out)

Help me learn Russian, Moyasimon o3o

Edited by Amphitrite

English is my first language. I took 13 years of French in school, so I know all the grammar (though I've forgotten some). I'm really out of practice now, but I can still usually understand people if they don't speak too fast. I took one semester of Chinese (Mandarin) last year but I've forgotten a fair amount of it now. I also know a few words of Spanish, German, Japanese, and Cantonese.

I speak English, but when I was younger I used to speak a combination of English and Ilocano(a dialect in the Philippines). It confused my teachers when I wouldn't speak English so they told my parents to only speak to me in English and now I can't speak my native language at all, although I can get the gist of what someone's saying.

I'm thinking of re-learning Ilocano, and taking up Tagalog while I'm at it. I had two years of spanish in high school but I don't really remember much of it at all. I have also been self-studying the Japanese language for the last 5 years and have made decent progress. Learning to read/write the kanji is proving the most difficult part for me but I found a website that helps me to study those.

I speak English, but when I was younger I used to speak a combination of English and Ilocano(a dialect in the Philippines). It confused my teachers when I wouldn't speak English so they told my parents to only speak to me in English and now I can't speak my native language at all, although I can get the gist of what someone's saying.

I'm thinking of re-learning Ilocano, and taking up Tagalog while I'm at it. I had two years of spanish in high school but I don't really remember much of it at all. I have also been self-studying the Japanese language for the last 5 years and have made decent progress. Learning to read/write the kanji is proving the most difficult part for me but I found a website that helps me to study those.

Can you link that Japanese site?

I suck at learning the symbols, so...

I only speak English. I took two years of Spanish in high school and two years of French in College but can't speak/read either of those languages now.

The site I use is a paid site, but because I was there since it was beta, I have a lifetime account for free. I'm not too certain of the price, but I think it's around 10 USD. The site is http://readthekanji.com .

I don't think so as Chinese and japanese have really really different spelling and grammar, only the japanese Kanji was made from Chinese charcters, and all the other asian languages have different spelling and different characters

Because Chinese has a lot of the same pronounciations (sp?) as Japanese (and Korean also), it's easier to speak in it. Some of the characters are very similar too, and even some spoken words, so it's even more easier to connect the meanings.

Chinese

and my English is poor

so it's difficult for me to chat with you

sad.gif

Edited by lemoncatbl

I speak English (yes, o-m-g), French, a bit of Spanish from watching Diego and Dora episodes.... Bits of Chinese and Vietnamese. Even though my family speaks to me in Viet/Chinese, I still fail at understanding them. D:

English, French, Vietnamese, learning Spanish.

I also know random smatterings of Japanese and American Sign Language. Don't ask. xd.png

Speak small phrases of Cantonese, my first language is Englsh and I'm taking French in school. My spanish is very limited and ends at Hello, how are you, and good.

Oh! And pig-latin... tongue.gif

Chinese

What dialect? Mandarin, Cantonese?

Edited by Tatrina

My native language is English. But I took classes in middle school and four full years of German in high school. I'd like to continue it, but there's no real reason for me to, as it's not even related to my college major. sleep.gif

I can't roll me r's though =[

Neither can I... I wish I could. I can roll them in the back of my throat though.

My native language is Latvian. I can easily pronounce hard "r"s, but don't like the English rolling "r". For example, I hate pronouncing words like "world" or "Durham", I sound like an idiot at that.

English is, in fact, chronologically my 3rd foreign language, but it's the one I use best. Other than that I can speak German, pretty mediocre Russian (shameful, because I knew it quite well from childhood 'til early teens) and some Czech (my former long-distance love was from the Czech Republic). Had some Latin classes for 3 years in high school but, honestly, I have forgoten everything. Lastly, tried to pick up some Japanese but dropped soon due to study stress last winter. Kind-of feeling guilty about that because I bought a textbook with some audio CDs... let's see whether I can return to that sometime during the following months.

So, all in all I can speak in 5 languages to varying degree and a few sentences in Japanese. Latin is dead and buried.

Edited by lightbird

Wow, that's a lot of languages!

My teacher mainly talks to us in francais, basically forcing you to try and understand her =P. It works too. I know some french now. Just the basics.

I even got her to translate "Oh no she didn't!"

English of course, my first language...

Took Spanish from 5-9th grade, plus 3 semesters in college

Took Latin in 10th grade (LOVED IT!)

Trying to learn several other languages with a combo of Rosetta STone and Pimsleur, including Japanese, Italian, and French

English

Afrikaans

Learning Japanese (Due to watching subbed anime shows) and Spanish (I don't learn it in school!)

With the Japanese I pick up some of the words and what they mean

My native language is Norwegian, and I've learned English since I was 6-7 years old (doesn't mean I'm good at it). I've taken Spanish for two years, and I know a few words in Japanese. And that's about it.