St. Jimmy

Language

I speak English and a leetle tiny bit of Japanese.

Wanna learn Russian and Romanian. Because Romanian accents are kick ass.

Really? I'm from Romania and never thought someone would think our accents are that cool. I'm really flattered that you want to learn Romanian ^-^

I'm from Romania and I know English fluently and a tiny bit of French and Japanese. I wish I would learn to speak fluently German, Spanish, Italian, all Scandinavian languages and obviously, Japanese (especially to read fluently).

English is my native language, but I've taken Mandarin for a year now, and Korean for a few months.

If anyone is fluent and willing to help me learn.... wub.gif That'd be pretty awesome~

I now speak rudimentary Doctor.

I speak Slovenian (native language), English and Croatian and I'm learning to speak Spanish and German. smile.gif

I speak fluent Polish, Swedish and English and I'm currently taking Spanish and Japanese classes as well... I want to start learning French again as well!

Mandarin is my native tongue but I'm still a bit gramatically awkward with very complex words and stuff.

I definitely fluently speak English! I am learning French and I am starting to be more fluent in it now.

Being Canadian, they make you learn French in school tongue.gif

I speak English (obviously) and am also fluent in two different types of Chinese: Cantonese and Mandarin. Not sure which language is my mother tongue, English is my best language but not by much, and I learned all three kinda simultaneously.

Native language: English

Interests: German, Japanese (Romanized) (I know some words in both*.)

Other: I'd like to know more Swedish phrases!

Common German words/phrases I know: Guten tag, guten nacht, was (pronounced "vas"), engel, ja, nein, stopp, die (pronounced "dee"), dich, will (pronounced "vill"), Ich, der, strudel, etc. etc.

Common Japanese words/phrases I know: Konnichiwa, gomen ne, hai, nani, daisuke, sugoi, Watashi, no, suki, etc. etc. (I also understand the basic Japanese honorifics.)

I have been studying Japanese, but am not fluent in it yet. I know many words and Kanji, but I still have a lot more to learn. tongue.gif

I'm also interested in learning Mandarin and Korean after that.

Someone mentioned 'tones' a couple of pages back, and how they apply to English, which - apparently - has five.

I know that some oriental languages have 'tones', but I've never heard of them in English. Would someone like to explain please? I've an idea that the concept of tones in English is wrong, but I don't want to definitely say so without knowing what was meant by the comment.

As for the original question - fluent in English (and something of a spelling/grammar expert, hence my interest in the above subject); can get by in French; largely forgotten most of the German I learned at school; need more practice in Welsh.

Someone mentioned 'tones' a couple of pages back, and how they apply to English, which - apparently - has five.

I know that some oriental languages have 'tones', but I've never heard of them in English. Would someone like to explain please? I've an idea that the concept of tones in English is wrong, but I don't want to definitely say so without knowing what was meant by the comment.

As for the original question - fluent in English (and something of a spelling/grammar expert, hence my interest in the above subject); can get by in French; largely forgotten most of the German I learned at school; need more practice in Welsh.

There are tones in English?? ohmy.gif

My best guess would be the tone of voice when you speak. How you raise up or lower the tone to express different things. Like the word : Really. If you raise your tone, it turns into: Really? blink.gif A question with slight hints of surprise. Lower it, and it turns into sarcasm or exasperation: Really... dry.gif But still, it's just a guess. I googled "Tones in English" and got a whole bunch of mixed results.

Tones in Chinese are very different. They don't have much to do with emotions, but simply how the word is pronounced. Chinese has a system of pronunciation called PinYin. However, multiple characters can have the same PinYin, and the four tones in Mandarin or nine tones in Cantonese are used to differentiate between them. I will try to explain using Mandarin's four tones, as it's simpler and easier for me to explain.

The four tones in Mandarin are represented by these signs: ˉ,ˊ,ˇ and ˋ . Now, for example, the PinYin of the characters 包 and 宝 are the same: Bao. But 包 usually means bag and is in the first tone while 宝 means treasure and is in the third tone. So when writing the PinYin of 包 and 宝,we write them as Bāo and Bǎo respectively.

I know english and took 2 years of spanish but unless you threw me in a spanish only environment for a few days i couldnt speak it. I started learning asl today so i can fingerspell and know a handfull of words

i speak English but i want to learn Greek apparently i look Greek although it would make seance as i am part Greek

I'm now in my second day of Mandarin Chinese class. It's total immersion. I was not aware it would be total immersion. O_O It's fun, though!

well i talk in latvian and also english because i can.

we learn russian at school but i can't learn it.

Native language: Latvian

I'm +/- fluent in: English and German

I can also speak Russian (but won't be able to have a very good conversation with you though)

I'm learning Spanish. I'm at the basics now but I hope one day I'll be somewhat good.

I have discovered that Mandarin is easy...IF you don't count characters or tones. Hahaha! I have such a hard time telling the tones apart when I hear someone speak.

I speak and write in English. I'm currently learning Latin in school, and I'd love to lean Japanese.

I know the entire Hiragana syllabary, and a few scattered vocab words here and there, but otherwise I need to work on learning it~ (I'm self-teaching though, so it's a slow process) wink.gif

I'm only fluent in English.

I'm a music teacher with an emphasis in voice, so I had to learn how to pronounce Latin, Italian, and German. I've picked up bits and pieces of all three of those, just because some of the same words appear over and over in music. After translating the words enough times, they start to stick. I wouldn't say I speak any of them, though.

Oh, I did take Spanish in high school... but aside from the basic phrases, I've pretty much forgotten it all.