The only other languages I know besides English are coding languages, and I don't think those count tongue.gif I'm going to be taking American Sign Language at some point for my major though, and I think that's going to be super cool.

American English is my native tongue. I can limp along reading some Spanish and French, but my spoken usage is poor. I don't think in any language but English; therfore, I am not fluent in any other language. Not even close to fluent and I have forgotten quite a bit of the three languages I took in school years ago.

Good luck to all who are trying to learn another language.

I am excited and with much pride declare that I am now mastering Filipino, which is the language of my own country. Ironic right? I should have mastered it long ago but here I am simply doing it now. No one had the long patience required to teach me or answer my queries of the rules. I had to self-study and persevere on my own. I'm glad with the results, the accomplishment. Now, I find it quite sad that most Filipinos don't even speak pure Filipino. They have English terms that are Taglish. They forgot terms in Filipino.

Also, I exclaim my thought about the words 'Filipino' and 'Pilipino'. Confusing, but 'Pilipino' apparently refers to the person, the native of the country while 'Filipino', I almost said [academic] subject but, it is the language. In English, Filipino is referred to as person still. Example, "Are you a Filipino?".

searched and couldn't find.

anyway, languages!! i've always loved them and it's in my ultimate list of goals to be fluent in at least a few and travel the world someday. ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

i'm fluent in english, it being my mother tongue, and semi-fluent in mandarin & i really want to learn french, spanish, and japanese!

i find nordic languages to be really pretty and interesting, and russian/arabia looks really hard, oh my goodness.

even with english i'm like what even sometimes because i often mix up is and are for some reason.

what about you?? languages you speak, ones you find interesting/complicated/want to learn/tips on leaning/can share weird facts about?

I am fluent in spanglish

Aka Spanish with a few English words popped in because idk them

Tú hablas espanol? Yo hablo in poco de español

English is my native language. My Mandarin is semi-fluent (but c'mon, I've lived in China for almost 12 years and counting why am I still terrible at the language I swear I'm regressing TnT). I guess I can kinda understand some Hokkien/Taiwanese, though I can't speak it.

I wish I could learn Japanese someday but at the rate my Chinese is going I probably wouldn't commit. It'd also be nice if I knew Tagalog so I can finally understand what my maternal relatives are saying :T

English (first language), German (used to be absolutely fluent, but it slipped, especially in "modern" words), French (pretty good) and some Italian - enough to get around there.

I collect enough phrases (notably "I am deaf", which I have learned and hung on to in MANY languages !) to get around wherever, when I'm travelling, but I get around so much that it doesn't stick for long. There was one memorable holiday where I was able to order "two omelettes and two teas" in 11 languages by the end, but I don't think I can now.

My first language is English. I read French pretty fluently and I can read and write well enough to have a conversation. I tend to mix up the gender of words, though, if I don't have my grammar check on Microsoft Word to catch those kind of things for me. I took Spanish all through middle school and high school and for a time I knew it well enough to pass the AP exam, but I've since forgotten a lot of it. I remember a few basic phrases and I'd probably be able to struggle through some reading, but I definitely can't speak anymore.

I really want to learn German. Since the fall semester's going to be my last semester of undergrad and I'll only need two classes to graduate, I was hoping that it would leave lots of time to fit a German class in. But, elementary German is literally only offered in the evening when I have to work. -.- I started trying to teach myself and I remember a few basic phrases, but I got too busy to really keep up with it, so not much really stuck.

I love languages. I wish I had time to learn more of them. I'm not really into Asian languages, though. I'm generally much more fascinated by the music, literature, and history of Europe, so I find the languages more enticing. I'd love to branch out and learn a Slavic language. I think Czech is really pretty. I'd also like to learn Russian. But of course it's a matter of finding time and a way to practice the language, preferably with someone who's at least a little familiar with it so they can catch me if I make mistakes while learning it.

I did a search and did not see anything with either "foreign" or "language" in the title. Hopefully there is not one I missed!

Anyway, I am starting to learn Mandarin as a second language. I am taking a class next fall, and I am practicing on my own and with a Chinese friend over the summer.

I am sure there are several multilingual players on DC! I thought a thread to discuss tips for learning new languages, talk about difficulties or stories, etc. would be fun. smile.gif

Xèi xèi! (Thank you!)

Even though I am Chinese-Malaysian and can speak it Chinese, my mom sent me to Chinese school to learn how to write it. I quit in 5th grade, and it didn't really do a lot for me...xd.png I still know how to speak it fluently.

My main language is actually something that no one really knows, so our family just speaks it when we don't want others to hear. xd.png It's called Hokkien, and I can speak it better than Chinese. However, when my parents/grandparents don't want US to hear what they're saying, they speak Malaysian, or Teochew. So many languages x.x

@harlequinraven: I'm starting to learn Spanish over at a site called Duolingo. It's helped me a lot, and you should try it for any other languages you wanna speak. I forgot if it has Chinese on it or not.

Surprisingly as well, my mom knows 6 languages. I envy her.

EDIT: Oh, and I do know a few coding languages...JavaScript and HTML! I'm starting to learn Python as well. smile.gif

Edited by Lavaedra

I am Scottish. I live in England and English is my mother tongue and the only language I'm fluent in. My Great-Grandparents spoke Gaelic but they didn't teach it to my grandmother or her siblings because they wanted a private language to talk to each other in. I'm really annoyed because they've denied me a part of my heritage. So anyway back on topic...

I'm learning Russian, I started in the last few days of March, got distracted from it by Camp NaNoWriMo in April and got back to it yesterday. So far I've done a few days of actual learning and the whole "different alphabet but with some english looking letters" thing is giving me a headache.

Apart from that though it's pretty cool and I noticed the Russian word for "who" which is "kto" on someone's number plate a couple of weeks ago. biggrin.gif

I've wanted to learn to learn several languages for a while now but I couldn't afford the Rosetta Stone courses. Finally I decided to go and ahead and try and learn the languages I want to learn for free on the internet. So far it's working. smile.gif

The languages I want to learn are Russian, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Gaelic and Swahili.

Edited by Cireth

I'm Chinese but the language I prefer more is English, I'm fluent in both except I can't really write or read much in Chinese since I moved to Canada for awhile before I finished the basics when I was young. It's still the main language I speak at home though, my family doesn't do english much haha.

Right now I'm studying french in school.

@harlequinraven, the pinyin for 谢谢 is "xie xie". ^o^ With accent marks it should be xiè xiè.

Edited by suskekun222

Haha, I tried learning Mandarin in what we Norwegians call "folkehøyskole", basically a year of fun after high school where you can pick what you 'd like to do. My main classes were in music but of course we had others too, and Mandarin wasn't that important. But my vision impairment didn't make it work too well, I couldn't make the signs work and the teacher kinda halfway gave up on me.

So like I said, I'm Norwegian, so I know Norwegian, and I understand Swedish very well. Danes too, if they speak slowly. I had 3 years of spanish lessons in High school and spoke it fluently(ish) for a few years. Now I've forgotten mostly everything, sadly.

I had to teach myself to speak and write in English by going online and watching TV because I didn't pay attention to the English lessons at school the first year we had them so I kinda fell way behind the others. The last couple of years I've started reading English books (mainly because the books I want to read isn't available in Norwegian) and that's helping too.

I am Leni Lenape (Delaware) and my tribe is in Canada. I speak American English because I was born in the US. Unfortunately I do not speak Lenape. When I got to University I learned to speak Dakota, one of the 3 Siouxian dialects. Learning Dakota was very difficult. I had trouble making the sounds. It is a language that sounds very much like German.

Years later I learned to speak aniishinabe (Ojibwe) which is part of the Algonquin language group to which Lenape belongs. I feel more comfortable speaking aniishinable as they like Lenape are woodland Indians. When I began learning aniishinabe I found it came easily. It flows like a bubbling brook.

Both these languages are living languages. The elders are teaching the language and culture to the children in immersion schools so the culture and languages aren't lost. The elders are having to create words for things in modern world that didn’t exist when they were children. It is amazing.

@Lavaedra Last I checked they did not have Mandarin. I'm using a lot of YouTube videos. xd.png

@suskekun222 D'oh! I have been practising SAYING it so much that I did not practice spelling it. >_> I am not ready for pinyin yet. That's a whole different ballpark!

I took Mandarin for three years in highschool. I really enjoyed learning it, but sadly I don't retain languages very well and have forgotten most of it. Also, it seemed like the class catered to students who already had Chinese background so it went too fast for the people who were new to the language as a whole (AKA basically just me :I). I stuck with it even though I wasn't the best at it because I loved learning about the language and culture in class. There was a point in time where I got so into it that I would almost reflexively say xiè xiè instead of thank you! By the end of the last year we had a huge group project where we got to make a short film all in Mandarin and I had a blast doing it with my friends. ^^

Edited by XDragon52

@XDragon52: That sounds really fun! This class I am signing up for is supposed to be for people with no background in it at all, as there is a course for beginners with some background. I am still nervous that I will be the only one who has no idea what is going on. xd.png Hopefully practicing over the summer will help with that.

I want to learn Ukrainian. I've learned a bit from my grandparents, but baba died several years ago now and I haven't used what little I have learned so I've forgotten most of it.

I don't care much for learning how to read and write it -- I highly doubt anyone here can teach me, considering I'm visually impaired and I therefore use braille -- but I'd love to learn to speak it, certainly. My family's mostly Ukrainian, so it would be nice to be able to speak the language.

At Lavaedra. JavaScript? I'm trying to self-teach that... Not sure how much luck I'm having though, considering that the guide I'm using is teaching for web designers and I want to learn so that I can script for a game.

I've had two years of Japanese in college, but it's been a looooong time since I was in class, so I've forgotten a lot of it. Someday I hope to get back into the swing of things.

Japanese is another language I'd eventually like to learn...

I studied German at GCSE and recently picked it back up again on Duolingo, but I've dropped it temporarily to focus on studying for my finals. I also learned French at GCSE but for only briefly (we were told we'd do a short business French course if we finished German early, and then they were like 'haha no you're doing a whole GCSE in 6 months'), so I've forgotten it very fast and I don't really like it.

I've found learning a foreign language is very good for realising how weird English is. In German even though my vocabulary is very limited if I hear a word I can usually spell it right regardless of whether I understand it, whereas in English there's so little connection between spelling and pronunciation >_< And in German there's all the nominative/accusative etc stuff that English only has in pronouns :3 It took learning German for me to understand the difference in English between 'who' and 'whom' xd.png

Eventually, I would like to be a polyglot. I am starting with Mandarin (It is a tall order for a second language, I know, but I have wanted to learn it since I was very little.). I also want to learn French, Korean, and Irish Gaelic. I probably will throw Japanese in there, too, but that is lower priority for me. Of course, my plans may be thrown off, as I am very open to moving to another country once I get my PhD. I may end up needing to learn a new language due to that!