St. Jimmy

Language

My first language is Romanian, and I also speak English and Swedish (I live in Sweden). Studied German in school but it hasn't stuck, all I remember are random words, but I could never use them in proper sentences or anything like that. Would love to learn Icelandic and French... one can dream, right? laugh.gif

Czech C: *nobody don't know what is it* xd.png but it's original ^^ I learn German and English smile.gif I love English, but it isn't my native tongue so talking here, in the.forums, is hard to me, because Czech...? "Ahoj, jak se máš? Já dobře." Is really different.... In english it is "Hello, how are you? I'm fine." In my language is for EVERY word special conjugation and inflection... So Czech is really, really hard to learn. Some Czech people have lots of problems with Czech language!

German- i don't like this language biggrin.gif I have problem with ö xd.png Big problem :'D

Ah, why English isn't my native tongue sad.gif All Internet is in English!

...hate Czech language biggrin.gif Not applicable for life...

Yay, Czech people! *highfives*

Indeed, even some native speakers apparently have trouble with the language. Drives me nuts. >.< But Czech is still beautiful. Behold, the unique letter Ř: Google Translator tries to say one of my favourite tongue twisters

Translation: "333 silver sprinklers flew over 333 silver roofs", which doesn't make sense but is fun to say rolleyes.gif

Also, note the pronunciation of R. I can't say the damn thing to save my life. xd.png People have told me that I have an English/German/whatever accent, because in Czech you have to go RRRR like an idiot.

Kay then,

my native language is german. Yep. I'm german. Second one is english (guess that's the case for most german people as we already learn english in kindergarden). When we could choose in school whether we wanted to learn french or latin i picked latin because i thought french was a gay language ( no offense at that point, just me in puberty). Well, 2 years later we could choose again between what we didn't pick before and some other stuff like pedagogy or science. My teacher literally forced me to "pick" french then - and now i even study that language biggrin.gif

Well, in class 11 i also picked italian and i can still do some basic stuff in that language - i remember enough to understand the lyrics of Laura non c'è at least.

I also did some spanish later but i got too mixed up with italian so i quit that again.

So i guess i'm a bit into roman languages. Knowing your latin helps a lot, too! I can only advice anyone who is interested in european languages to learn some latin first. It really helps you a lot also for non-roman languages like english as it contains many words with latin origin).

Edited by Vulpin3

Hehe, "třista stříbrnýxh střikaček přeletělo přes třista stříbrných střech" biggrin.gif or "byl jeden Řek a ten mi řek, kolik je v Řecku řeckých řek, a já mu řek že nejsem Řek, abych mu řek, kolik je v Řecku řeckých řek" xd.png Try it, bro biggrin.gif

Or English tonguetwister...

"While we were walking

we were watching window washers

who were washing washington's windows

with warn washing water" But the czech "třista stříbrných stříkaček" is the hardest! biggrin.gif Ř is really evil letter >:D

More tonguetwisters from German or America! :3

I'm only fluent in my native language tongue.gif

I've been studying/practising English for a few years, but my listening skills are really poor (to the point of when I understand a phrase or two (correctly!) in a song/TV, I get quite excited xd.png) and also when I speak English it sounds REALLY weird blink.gif

I can read (and understand) fairly well and I can write (though you will spot many grammar errors in my texts). I've also been told (by an English teacher) that I have a wide English vocabulary.

So I guess I'm still a novice/intermediate, and I really want to become fluent in the language. I'm afraid I'll have to actually study in an English speaking country in order to achieve my goal (probably in England), as I've been told "when you're actually living in another country, you tend to learn their language better in less time than attending to classes for years in your native country."

It's true, and becoming fluent in the English language is one of my main life goals.

I can read the Russian alphabet and I can understand a little, insignificant bit of Spanish/Japanese, if that counts tongue.gif

Besides, I'd like to learn German (even though it's hard to find a website where I can often practise it, and it's even harder to find German people where I live xd.png). German language is beautiful! biggrin.gif

I love languages. I wish I could learn many languages such as German, Russian, Swedish, Finnish, French, Dutch, Latin... but I know it's a very hard work.

My first language is portuguese - which I obviously speak fluently - but I can speak english fairly well. Some mistakes here and there, but meh. And people who speak portuguese as a first language usually have very little or zero accents in english, so that helps. Aaand I can speak spanish too, even though I took only a year of classes, because it's kind of similar to portuguese. And I've been learning german but I'm not sure how that will work out.

I think I've gone nuts... I have a second conlang in the works. When the first one isn't even done.

My main language is Spanish, I learned English throughout my childhood, probably watching tv shows in english and playing pokemon -shot-

But I am so far trying to learn italian, I love that language. <3

I speak mainly English but I am taking German in school. Because of this, I try to incorproate my German into my every day conversation to practice and such.

I also speak a tiny bit of French and Spanish.

I speak english, yo hablo espanol, and am learning hebrew but that has a different keyboard laugh.gif

I speak English, and am being forced to learn French.

Je détèste la France.

I speak English, almost-fluent Japanese, and limited Spanish.

I Speak A Bit Of Gaelic, French, Maori, Tongan, Samoan, Russian, German, Spanish And Japanese.

I Wish To Speak Fluent Russian But I Am Not Good At Learning Languages.

Je détèste la France.

I find French to be a beautiful language. :P

Currently, I speak English, German, ( My sister-in-law is German. Free classes! we both teach each other our native language. ) I understand Japanese, speak moderate French, and I have next on my list, Spanish.

Edited by Momo

English is the language of my adoptive family so that is my first language. My Grandmother on my adoptive fathers side spoke fluent German so as I baby and small child I heard German lullabies and sweet Grandmotherly encouragements in German.

I speak a Sioux language, Dakota, taught by a Dakota elder who "adopted" me to teach me the language and ways of her people. When I danced pow wow I stayed close to the fluent Dakota speaking elders to learn more and practice. Then my "adopted" mother went to the spirit world.

I speak an Algonquin language, aniishiabe (ojibwe/chippewa), taught to me by an aniishinabe elder who "adopted" me to teach me her language and crafts: brain tanning hides, bead work, black ash basketry, finger weaving, birch bark basketry, etc. I would sit with aniishinabe fluent speaking elders to listen and practice.

I speak a tiny bit of of Leni Lenape, my tribe's language. My home reserve is in Canada and I live too far away to "go home" to learn more. There are no Lenape speakers where I live.

My native tongue is Dutch. More specifically the West Flemish dialect, but I can speak formal Dutch too if I want to.

Over time I learned English. Before I got it at school (at the age of 13), I already knew a lot of the basics and hundreds of words. So I don't think I'm bad at this language.

I also had French at school since I was 10. It's the 2nd national language of my country after all, but I'm terrible at speaking it. I do however understand quite some French though.

I'm also considering learning another language after I've finished college. I want something really foreign though, not another Germanic or Romantic language again.

I speak english, but at the moment i'm taking a course and learning spanish, so eventually I hope to know that too.

English is my first language, but I'm currently learning Japanese in school and I'm starting Spanish next year.

Great topic! smile.gif

- I'm bilingual in French and English (grew up in France, but my Mum's British).

- I speak fluent Spanish, I've been learning it for oh, something like 6 or 7 years now;

- I know some basic Dutch, which is unacceptable really because I've lived in the Netherlands for 2 years now, and my boyfriend is Dutch ^^'

- I'm studying Russian at university, as my third language. I'm a total beginner though

- I learnt some German back when I was in middle school, but I've forgotten most of it. When I try to speak German, the words come out in Dutch >.> very frustrating...

- I know some useful Japanese sentences, which I remember from my holiday there a few years ago. I really intend to learn Japanese properly some day, but I haven't had the chance to yet.

Edit for typos. I'm tired sleep.gif

Edited by Hailwidis

The only language I am fluent in is English, but I would love to learn the German language some day. It is such an attractive language to me...

I can speak . . . English! Wow, what a surprise (I was born in America)!

My parents are from China, so I can also speak in Chinese.

In school, I'm learning Latin. So I can speak basic sentences like "The apple is red," which is "Malum rubrum est."

My sister is learning French, so I know random words in French, but I can't actually speak it. I'm probably going to learn it when I go to middle school, though.

I also know random words of Spanish and Japanese. I know more out of Japanese, which is probably because I like reading manga. And I would like to learn it, too.