St. Jimmy

Language

Which textbook do you use? I'm in my second semester as well.

I use "GENKI Second Edition: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese". It's the first book in the series. The orange one. smile.gif

I figured as much. Most people use Genki, but we use Yookoso! for some reason. My sensei says that she thinks Yookoso is more challenging, but I think it's because one of the other sensei at my school has a credit in the book. xP

We basically just learned about ~のです form and the て-form of adjectives.

I figured as much. Most people use Genki, but we use Yookoso! for some reason. My sensei says that she thinks Yookoso is more challenging, but I think it's because one of the other sensei at my school has a credit in the book. xP

We basically just learned about ~のです form and the て-form of adjectives.

XD I just took a quiz on て form last week!

Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic. We could continue chatting in PM if you'd like?

My first language is German, but I can speak English (irony on: really?) and some broken French too.

I've been learning Latin for three years...but it was terrible for me...I'm not really good at these "Dead languages".

xd.png I just took a quiz on て form last week!

Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic. We could continue chatting in PM if you'd like?

I don't know if talking about a specific language is off-topic in a thread about language, but sure, you're welcome to PM me about Japanese. xd.png

Scottish English and learning French and German as well as Received and Pronounced English

Swedish is probably the only thing I can speak fluent (or at least almost fluent, I'm bad when it comes to grammar in any language... And when it comes to speaking I always stumble upon the words no matter what language I speak).

English, but I still not as good as I want to be (I'm at least better than what I was a few years ago).

Spanish, because I took lessons in school (but I've pretty much forgotten everything due to that I never use it).

Then I know a few words and sentences in Norwegian, German, Japanese and Italian.

german

english

in school I had to learn Latin and French

and two years ago I started to learn a little bit spanish

Except for my native language, I've been told I'm pretty fluent in English, can still hold a decent conversation in French (or at least I could the last time I tried xd.png) and can understand German and Spanish.

I also studied Japanese for two years, but at the moment I only really know the basics, like Hiragana, Katakana and some grammar rules and more common phrases. My kanji is really rusty and I don't think I understand the language as good as I used to. I still have the books and try to go over them every now and then, but what with real life it's pretty slow xd.png

Edited by Isuzu

I speak English, of course.

それから日本語が少し話します。私は六年ぐらい日本に住んでいました。

(And I speak a little Japanese. I lived in Japan for about six years.)

I speak it much better than I read it or write it. Which isn't very useful for forum chats.

My first language is English, but I'm in Spanish 4 at my high school. I'll be starting more intensive Spanish in college- I'd like to be fluent. However, my school hasn't had the best language teachers these past few years, so I've struggled without real guidance. sad.gif

I can read better than I can write, and write better than I can talk.

I don't know any other languages, but I often learn how to sing specific songs in languages like French. It's just memorization; I only know what I'm saying because of Googling the translations. laugh.gif

Edited by Dimar

I speak Romanian (it is my native language), also I'm fluent in English and I study French at school. I'm not very good though.

I studied a little bit Latin in 8th grade, but I don't remember much. tongue.gif

It's hard for me to mind my language. I mean sometimes I slip up and say fu-wait wrong language...

Erherm... I speak English, Spanish, and I'm going to be learning German, Russian, or Latin. Latin for a few minor words, just for fun though.

I speak Dutch.

At school I learned German

And I am still learning English at school.

Teaching myself to speak Japanese and Korean.

I was able to speak Italian but not anymore, lol.

But I want to be able to speak a lot of languages... eventually..

Yay for just English! biggrin.gif

I'm also learning Chinese since my family is Chinese. And Saurian.

And I've been learning French for about 7 years now. :3

Edited by cfmtfm

English, naturally. I used to be proficient in Japanese, but I stopped speaking it years ago so it went away :/ (Seems there's a lot of people here who'd like to learn!). I 'learned' Latin in high school, but none of it stuck.

I'd like to learn some the Scandinavian and Germanic languages (I think Icelandic is included in there, I have no clue laugh.gif ) Swedish, Danish, Norwegian (this is my heritage), also Dutch, German etc. etc. Also I'd love to learn Cantonese, but good luck finding a teacher for that rolleyes.gif If I had to pick a Romance language I'd love to learn Italian as well.

It takes 10 years to master a language. Hope I live a reeeeally long time

As far as fluency goes, English is the only one for me. Never had much opportunity for learning languages growing up. I took Spanish in high school (but stopped after three classes because the teachers were getting progressively worse the higher the level went). I've been taking Japanese in college, though the classes have stopped lining up with my schedule. :c

Czech C: *nobody don't know what is it* XD but it's original ^^ I learn German and English :) I love English, but it isn't my native tongue so talking here, in the.forums, is hard to me, because Czech...? "Ahoj, jak se máš? Já dobře." Is really different.... In english it is "Hello, how are you? I'm fine." In my language is for EVERY word special conjugation and inflection... So Czech is really, really hard to learn. Some Czech people have lots of problems with Czech language!

German- i don't like this language :D I have problem with ö XD Big problem :'D

Ah, why English isn't my native tongue :( All Internet is in English!

...hate Czech language :D Not applicable for life...

I speak English. Fluently, or so I'd like to think. I know a bit of American Sign Language, though I'm getting a bit rusty with that. Need to brush up on it.

I'm attempting to teach myself German. So far I can roughly understand very, very basic sentences, though I can't speak it for the life of me. I wish I have paid attention when my grandmother tried to teach me. The main reason I want to learn is because a distant relative who lives in Germany wrote a whole long book on our family history, and I would really like to read it. I know I could just get a translator or something, but I'd much rather be able to read it myself. tongue.gif

I speak English, studied four semesters of Spanish and two semesters of American Sign Language, but since I don't use either on a daily basis, I remember very little. Would love to learn Latin someday.