Infinis

The Redwall Series

Maybe the have chocolatl in the rainforesty places- if they have an 'America' for Gulo the Hannibalverine to come from, then they must have a 'South America'... Right? ...Great, now I want a Redwall book set in the jungle with jaguars and such... I say I've grown out of them, but part of me still saying it'd be freakin' sweet.

Speaking of growing up and such, has anyone read the Deptford Mice series by Robin Jarvis? Or the Deptford Histories? It's like Redwall, but with more death, angst and gangster rats that worship evil gods in the sewers beneath London. The constant darkness can get a bit depressing sometimes, and a lot of people die, but it's still pretty cool.

Back on topic- how can they have milk and cheese if there's no cows? What happened to the horses mentioned only once in the first book? And, the one I've been thinking for ages, what would happen if two members of a different specis- I dunno, an 'evil' otter and a weasel or a good weasel and an otter- fell in love and wanted to have babas?

EDIT: I just remembered one of my favourite moments- it's in the Tuggerang (sp) when the shaman warns the clan chief to stay away from Redwall. He basically goes "Yeah, I'm not stupid. I know if you go near that place you DIE." It's amusing when characters in books are aware of their own tropes/plot points.

Edited by Ruins

It's amusing when characters in books are aware of their own tropes/plot points.

Lol, yeah. I think it's funny when one book the bad guys are all like. "We are the greatest! We will rule Redwall!"

Then, in the next book, the bad guys are all like, "We need a special plan. Everyone before us has died."

I'm listening to to the audiobook of Rakkety Tam right now. biggrin.gif

I think Gulo comes from the Arctic, not America, but I don't really know.

The only thing that gets to me is the fact that the stories in each one are pretty much the same with slight changes for the most part xd.png I love em to death, but it got a bit redundant. That said, still some of my favorite books ever.

Lol, yeah. I think it's funny when one book the bad guys are all like. "We are the greatest! We will rule Redwall!"

Then, in the next book, the bad guys are all like, "We need a special plan. Everyone before us has died."

I'm listening to to the audiobook of Rakkety Tam right now. biggrin.gif

I think Gulo comes from the Arctic, not America, but I don't really know.

How about... Not ruling Redwall at all? What's so special about the place, anyway? If they really want to live there, they could just try it peacefully... Actually, that would be my plan. If I was a Redwall vermin, I'd just walk up them and go "Look, none of want to die. Not even your cooking is worth that. How's about we be... Well, not friends, but at least not fight. I just want your pie. That's it."

I thought they came from Canada and the very North of America, but like you I don't really know.

How about... Not ruling Redwall at all? What's so special about the place, anyway? If they really want to live there, they could just try it peacefully... Actually, that would be my plan. If I was a Redwall vermin, I'd just walk up them and go "Look, none of want to die. Not even your cooking is worth that. How's about we be... Well, not friends, but at least not fight. I just want your pie. That's it."

I thought they came from Canada and the very North of America, but like you I don't really know.

Maybe. Except that the Redwallers have had so many bad experiences with those animals that they're super wary and would be afraid something bad's gonna happen if they let them in.

Well, wherever Gulo came from, I wouldn't want to run into him if I were a woodlander. I mean, Tam's like the best warrior alive when he battles Gulo, and Tam almost dies.

Nothing can resist my puppy eyes! They'd let me just so I wouldn't do that again... laugh.gif Or they could just me live in the woods and send me a food hamper from time to time and in return I'd tell them when something happens... D*mn. Now I want to write a fanfiction.

And he was scary... unsure.gif

Has anybody watched the animated series? I recently finished watching the Martin the Warrior episodes. Sad, but good. :/

My heart was stricken with sadness, too, when I heard about Mr Jacques passing. These books were an enormous part of my adolescence and I still enjoy them today, Taggerung being my all time favorite of the books (though any that featured otters as main characters were great, IMHO)

While they were repetitive in their various plots, in a way they illustrated the fact that most of our lives are much more alike than we would think and that we are always united in the most important things (heroism, love, sacrifice, sickness, adversity) I wish Redwall were a place I could go to visit, both for the amazing feasts and the wonderful citizens. Mr Jacques feels like a beloved uncle to me, and one whose creative prose will be sorely missed by this world.

I wish Redwall were a place I could go to visit

So do I!

If you could meet one or two characters from any Redwall book, who would you pick?

I'd pick Tam and Doogy. biggrin.gif

I'd probably meet... Gosh, hard choice. Probably Tam as well, and then teach him to brofist. Then I'd stop Veil Sixclaw from being so d*mn emo all the time... Or just be emo with him.

Probably Tam as well, and then teach him to brofist.

Lol. You'd need to be downsized to squirrel-size, or else it wouldn't work. tongue.gif

I'd also meet Felldoh if I could, but that would have its downsides. (SPOILER!) I get upset at his death enough in the books, let alone real life. sad.gif

I think I'll always love Outcast of Redwall, simply because of Sunflash the Mace, Awesome character, he was. But (Major spoiler alert) it was just horrible when Skarlath died. *shakes fist at Nightshade*

I didn't read the other few pages (too lazy. XD), so sorry if this has been said before, but I find it amusing when I consider badgers with broadswords and maces being the ones to inhabit the world of Warrirors. Before long, the only Can would be StarClan. XD

If you could meet one or two characters from any Redwall book, who would you pick?

Oh my...

That's a tough, tough question. I'd love to meet them all, actually. Or just live at Redwall as whole. XD

If I have to narrow it down to two, I think I'd choose to meet Bragoon and Saro from Loamhedge. Those two were such fun characters. (:

Though I'd like to meet and interact with characters of almost every species. Not particularly the vermin, though.

Oh my...

That's a tough, tough question. I'd love to meet them all, actually. Or just live at Redwall as whole. xd.png

If I have to narrow it down to two, I think I'd choose to meet Bragoon and Saro from Loamhedge. Those two were such fun characters. (:

Though I'd like to meet and interact with characters of almost every species. Not particularly the vermin, though.

Hehehe I love how they sneak into Redwall just in time for lunch. laugh.gif

I've been a fan of Redwall since before I could even read them properly (my sister would read them to me), and I have a lot of happy memories of it; I was really, really sad when I heard that Brian Jacques died. D:

That said, I... had some problems with the morality of the books. Even the black-and-whiteness didn't bother me so much; it was when the good characters do horrible things like slaughter random vermin they come across and hang their bodies up in the woods because 'they wouldn't waste good soil on them,' that really made me uncomfortable. Axel the Warrior Mole was awesome, but that made me cringe a little. Globby's treatment and death made me sad, and the constant references to 'natural vermin insolence' were kind of unfortunate.

Also, it really annoyed me when characters would show up that were complete, unrepentant, annoying butts the whole way through and were never called out on it much except for 'Oh, that's our buddy, let's tease him a little.' I'm looking at you, main-character's-best-friend-from-Sable-Quean. >_>

On the other hand, they're really quite well-written, especially early on, and there are occasional moments where the vermin are thrown a bone. Rogue Crew and Bellmaker were two of my favorites, simply because some of the vermin came out okay in the end. Crumdun getting to escape unharmed and live his life and actually deciding that he liked the hares, along with that one ferret guy getting rescued by the nomads and given a chance at a peaceful life, were honestly some of the most moving moments in the entire series for me-- and that's saying a lot, considering how I cried over some of those books when I was younger. As for The Bellmaker, well, it's my absolute favorite out of all of them, and Blaggut is hands-down my favorite character in the entire series.

Anyway, not trying to hate on them or ruin them for anyone else; they were a large part of what inspired me to take up writing, and some of the characters almost felt like a second family to me, but now that I've gotten older there are a few places that make me uncomfortable. It's a mixed bag for me, but I can say that it's definitely done me a hundred times more good than bad. Heck, even the black-and-white morality helped me to discover that neither people or good characters are truly black-and-white, which has helped me a lot in the years past.

That said, I have wanted to try some of those recipes for an extremely long time. Now that I've started baking a little more, I might just finally have a chance. I'll share the results if anything ever comes of it. xd.png

I'd love to know how that commemorative cookoff goes, even if I can't attend! ^^

-snip-

That said, I have wanted to try some of those recipes for an extremely long time. Now that I've started baking a little more, I might just finally have a chance. I'll share the results if anything ever comes of it. XD

I'd love to know how that commemorative cookoff goes, even if I can't attend! ^^

I can tell you, some of the recipes are very yummy. My grandma got me The Redwall Cookbook a few years ago, and for months, I was cooking things out of it. My favorite recipe is the shrewbread. It's simple and delicious. x3

Hehehe I love how they sneak into Redwall just in time for lunch.

I know! XD

I thought it was so funny when they showed up and nobeast knew who they were.

I know! xd.png

I thought it was so funny when they showed up and nobeast knew who they were.

laugh.gif

I have the book on my family's iPad, lemme find that excerpt...

Lololol: "Book One: "They're not as big as I thought they'd be."

I can't find it exactly, but don't they sit down and someone comes up to them like "Uh, who are you?"

And then Bragoon finds out what's for lunch and is up and running.

:lol:

I have the book on my family's iPad, lemme find that excerpt...

Lololol: "Book One: "They're not as big as I thought they'd be."

I can't find it exactly, but don't they sit down and someone comes up to them like "Uh, who are you?"

And then Bragoon finds out what's for lunch and is up and running.

I think it's like, Bragoon and Saro are talking to one of the Sisters, and the Sister mentions it's tea time or that there's a feast on or something, and Bragoon and Saro both run for the food.

I think. XD

I think it's like, Bragoon and Saro are talking to one of the Sisters, and the Sister mentions it's tea time or that there's a feast on or something, and Bragoon and Saro both run for the food.

I think. xd.png

Oh yeah, I think you're right. xd.png But at first, the Sister has absolutely no idea who these two are.

And before, all the Dibbuns were claiming that Bragoon and Saro are made up to make them go to bed. tongue.gif

Spellcheck says Dibbun is not a word.

Oh yeah, I think you're right. XD But at first, the Sister has absolutely no idea who these two are.

And before, all the Dibbuns were claiming that Bragoon and Saro are made up to make them go to bed. :P

Spellcheck says Dibbun is not a word.

It was the older ones, Horty and his two friends, saying that Bragoon and Saro were just stories. I remember that bit. :3

lawl Spellcheck.

Okay, if you had to BE one Redwall character, who would you be?

I would be Melanda from Rakkety Tam. Yeah, I'm obsessed with that book.

Okay, if you had to BE one Redwall character, who would you be?

I would be Melanda from Rakkety Tam. Yeah, I'm obsessed with that book.

I don't think it's what character I'd want to be... More like, 'What species?' XD

I'd love to be either a mole a hare. A hare because I can tell you honestly that I eat. A lot. You wouldn't want to have to feed me for a season, I can tell you. But I'm also a bit of a windbag like hares tend to be, but I'm furiously loyal to people I'm close to.

A mole because moles are short, round, and have good, simple logic. Rather like me. XD

If I could be a character, though... I'd be Pasque Valerian from The Long Patrol. She's pretty, has a good head on her shoulders, and could fight with the best of them.

Wow, that's a wall of text. XD

I LOVE that series! I've read all the books, most of them twice tongue.gif.

My favorite books are probably:

Mattimeo

The Outcast of Redwall

Loamhedge (RIP Saro and Bragoon ;'()

Rakkety Tam

Martin the Warrior

Eulalia

and others I'll add when can think of them.... I think the only one I didn't like was The Bellmaker... It just couldn't keep my interest :/

I LOVE that series! I've read all the books, most of them twice tongue.gif.

My favorite books are probably:

Mattimeo

The Outcast of Redwall

Loamhedge (RIP Saro and Bragoon ;'()

Rakkety Tam

Martin the Warrior

Eulalia

and others I'll add when can think of them.... I think the only one I didn't like was The Bellmaker... It just couldn't keep my interest :/

You forgot RIP Felldoh and Rose in Martin the Warrior.

I kinda liked the Bellmaker. I thought that Blaggut was awesome, and I like Joseph. I didn't really Mariel, Dandin, and the hare's escape thing though.

I don't think it's what character I'd want to be... More like, 'What species?' xd.png

I would be a squirrel. I love to climb trees. biggrin.gif

Recently, in school, we were divided into groups and given a biome to research - my group got taiga. Each person had to pick a specific animal to research. Out of Redwall pride, the one animal I refused to research was a wolverine, and instead I searched a red squirrel. smile.gif