Infinis

The Redwall Series

I heard about his recent death :< It's such a sad thing. He was a pretty good writer (even though I felt bad for the "good" vermin and such).

I heard about his recent death :< It's such a sad thing. He was a pretty good writer (even though I felt bad for the "good" vermin and such).

I'm a rat owner and it is so hard to read the books now that I have rats. I didn't have them growing up and rats are always portrayed as being so evil in all of the books. I can't see my furry little babies terrorizing anyone like that! When my Redwall cookbook gets here, I'm going to cook up a memorial feast in honor of all the good things he has tempted us with over the years. Anyone in the Northern Michigan area who wants to join in for the feast is welcome.

We don't ask those kinds of questions. Then you'd have to start thinking about things like how a mouse lands a 2 pound greyling, even with help from a badger, or how they manage to pick apples and nuts that are almost as big as they are. I think a rat could probably roll an apple back to the abby, but it would take 3 or 4 mice to move one piece of fruit! One shrimp in their shrimp and hotroot soup would be as big as a mouse's head!

Edit: Was poking around, trying to find info on The Rogue Crew, his last book. I'm so glad that he got to finish that one and we will still be getting one last book. It would be horrible if he'd died with it half finished. I don't think anyone else could ghost write for him sucsessfully.

Edited by Eluin Gentry

Yeah, and the whole "fish totally don't count as animals so it's not murder, unlike with birds and mice and such" thing. And there was this one book where a rat was riding a horse and I was all "?O>o?"

I always thought of the Redwall world as a world in which mice are our size and such.

@Eluin: Where can I find the Redwall Cookbook? D: I want one.

And everything scales up accordingly? The badgers would still be too huge...

ogod and the rabbit eating habits. Why did I have to remember that whyyyyyyyyy?

I got my Redwall Cookbook on Amazon. Borders has it too, but Amazon is about 6$ cheaper even after shipping and my Borders wouldn't order it in the store for me. And they wonder why they are going bankrupt when they MAKE people place online orders instead of ordering things into their own store so I'll come back and probably spend even more money.

The cookbook is really good. The pictures are great and there is a little side story to go with each season. They are playing a little fast and loose with what items a mouse in a forest could reasonably get. They call for eggs and milk a lot, as well as almonds, cinnamon, lemon/lime, and coconut. None of those last ones grow anywhere that gets snow on the ground in the amounts that they talk about. The recipies are really fun looking though and I'm looking forward to making my Watershrimp and Hotroot soup as soon as possible. It sounds like the perfect dish for the cold weather months. All of the stories in the cookbook feature characters from Redwall, not from any of the other books. It was nice to see Bungo and Constance again, even if only briefly.

I am sorry to hear he's dead. I really enjoyed his books when I was younger. The innocent simplicity of good versus evil made them a refreshing breeze in a world full of gray.

I loved the Redwall books (still do)! I've read all of them, except for the last two (the library still hasn't gotten them!). I think Rakkety Tam was my favorite--I absolutely loved Wild Doogy Plumm!

I was a bit disappointed with Doomwyte, though, I have to admit. I was expecting some kind of redemption for Tugga Bruster, but, no, he gets stabbed in the heart with a stick by a crazy rat lady! I mean, seriously, wtf?

But that's like my only gripe.

I also liked the Castaways of the Flying Dutchman series, though I've only read the first two books of that.

I felt really bad when Mum Mellus died. Though I did actually cry when *spoiler* Cregga died. >_>

I wish I could remember which book that evil-turned-good rat was in! I want to read it now. X-D

It was in The Bellmaker.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I HAD to post here.

Anyway, yeah, this is my absolute most favorite book series. My favorite characters are:

Doogy, from Rakkety Tam

Dippler, from Marlfox

Felldoh, from Martin the Warrior (why did he have to die?!?!)

Gonff, from Mossflower

Dubble, from Doomwyte.

I LOVE REDWALL

Yeah, ol' Blaggut, that was the rat, right? I've read all the redwall books. The Rogue Crew is really good. Marlfox is one of my favorites. And Doomwyte. And the Sable Quean.. Actually, I like them all.

I LOVE REDWALL

Yeah, ol' Blaggut, that was the rat, right? I've read all the redwall books. The Rogue Crew is really good. Marlfox is one of my favorites. And Doomwyte. And the Sable Quean.. Actually, I like them all.

I've read all the books, except for The Rogue Crew, which I'm planning on reading soon. My favorites are Rakkey Tam, Doomwyte, and Marlfox. Who're your favorite characters?

Blaggut us my favorite from The Bellmaker. smile.gif

I LOVE THE REDWALL BOOKS!!!!

Seriously, they are pretty much my favorite book series ever. I have most of them sitting on my bookshelf. I found out AFTER the event that the author spoke at a place about 30 minutes from me in 2008. It made me so sad to think that I missed the opportunity to meet him. Especially when he died, I almost cried sad.gif I'm friends with an author on facebook who actually knew him personally and went to the funeral... So sad...

My favorites are Rakkety Tam, Marlfox, and the Long Patrol if i remember correctly. Although it's hard to choose, they're all so good!

Except I didn't care for Doomwyte much >.<

Edited by philpot123

My parents (the crazy folk they are) know I can read big books in about an hour (a.k.a like 789 pages in an hour-I read at a rate of 3.5 pages per minute xd.png) they have gotten me the whole series. My personal favorite is High Rhuilain, and of course Martin the Warrior.

Martin the Warrior is one of my favorites, too. Except *SPOILER* Why did Felldoh have to die?!?!

Okay, so she was in "The long patrol".

Thanks. biggrin.gif

I do agree about the black-and-white thing though, mainly.

But wasn't there a rat in one book that "saw the light"?

Also, Drupe the vole is evil.

I think I read all of them up to 2007, when I.. rapidly forgot about them.

Really liked the series when I was younger, but after a few years I got a bit tired of the black-and-white morality and how all of a particular animal would have to be good or bad.

Pretty much this, I'm afraid...

Although I was fond of Veil Sixclaw and the blue-eyed weasel assassin that was in one of the Salamanderston-centric books; he, along with my Dad, formed the basis of my longest surviving OC- a blue-eyed assassin with a friendly smile and a cold heart.

I think Rakkety Tam was my favorite--I absolutely loved Wild Doogy Plumm!

Have to agree with you there, Doogy's my favorite character of the whole series.

Anyway, I'm sad too. sad.gif

On the other hand, I think Jacques was running out of names. He seemed to be using almost anything he could think of.

Redwall!!!!!

Mossflower is my all-time favorite Redwawll book. I mean who wouldn't love Gonff? I own all the books, a few duplicates as well, except Brian's last two.

I didn't know he had died until a month after it happened, when I decided to go to the redwall.org site to see if anything new was coming out....I was so sad for days. It's Brian's Redwall legends that got me interested in books in the first place. They will always hold a special place in my heart.

Redwall!!!!!

Mossflower is my all-time favorite Redwawll book. I mean who wouldn't love Gonff? I own all the books, a few duplicates as well, except Brian's last two.

I didn't know he had died until a month after it happened, when I decided to go to the redwall.org site to see if anything new was coming out....I was so sad for days. It's Brian's Redwall legends that got me interested in books in the first place. They will always hold a special place in my heart.

I agree. Gonff is awesome. smile.gif

My dad told me Jacques had died after school one day.

Pretty much this, I'm afraid...

Although I was fond of Veil Sixclaw and the blue-eyed weasel assassin that was in one of the Salamanderston-centric books; he, along with my Dad, formed the basis of my longest surviving OC- a blue-eyed assassin with a friendly smile and a cold heart.

Creepy. I forget the name of that bad guy, but he's in the book "Salamandastron", I think.

I think Rakkety Tam was my favorite--I absolutely loved Wild Doogy Plumm!

I think one of my favorite of his quotes is this(sorry, I don't have the book at home, so I can't write his accent. I just have this quote in my memory):

"If I don't have my dirk by the time I've counted to three, you'll no be drinking tea anymore! One! Two!"

Hee hee, my younger sister was reading her first Redwall book(The Sable Quean) and she read a description of mealtimes. Then she said, "This sounds yummy."

Then I replied, "Yeah, until you've read the same thing about twenty times."

She didn't understand what I meant.

If she continues reading the Redwall series, she'll understand soon enough.