S9429183F

Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?  

408 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You don't really touch most smaller touch-screens with the *ends* your fingertips, though? Fingertips are fairly blunt - there is no way I know how to hit the image of a 0.4cm*0.8cm button without also hitting at least one button next to it with the actual end of fingertip. I always use the sides of my fingertips for that exact reason (plus, you'd once more have to hold your hands in a fairly uncomfortable manner, hovering and bent to use the tip-ends rather than sides), whether or not I currently have long fingernails.

(Also, it should be physically impossible to scratch the surface of a touch-screen - the material fingernails are made of is very soft and yielding compared to the material touch-screens are made of. If your touch-screen has accumulated scratches, it is most likely from sand-grains or something similar.)

You don't really touch most smaller touch-screens with the *ends* your fingertips, though? Fingertips are fairly blunt - there is no way I know how to hit the image of a 0.4cm*0.8cm button without also hitting at least one button next to it with the actual end of fingertip. I always use the sides of my fingertips for that exact reason (plus, you'd once more have to hold your hands in a fairly uncomfortable manner, hovering and bent to use the tip-ends rather than sides), whether or not I currently have long fingernails.

(Also, it should be physically impossible to scratch the surface of a touch-screen - the material fingernails are made of is very soft and yielding compared to the material touch-screens are made of. If your touch-screen has accumulated scratches, it is most likely from sand-grains or something similar.)

Well, I have rough nails sometimes. Hmm...

It depends on how do you define "long" and "short".

I would prefer the length which a bit over your finger but definitely not toooo long,like 1.5 or 2cm counting from the roots(please,no!).

Not everyone's fingers are like yours, though. I touch with the ends of my fingertips because that's the "finest" point on my fingers and if I don't use the ends then my taps aren't all too precise.

It's MUCH more comfortable for me and my hands to tap with my fingertips. Again, not everyone's fingers (or hands, for that matter) are the same. Projecting how you use touchpads with your hands and fingers onto others just doesn't work, since they aren't the same. c:

Maybe you've figured out how to position your fingers so it's comfortable for you, but it's not comfortable for everyone else, certainly not me.

The other people I know (that I have seen using a touch-screen) have it the same way... While the fingertips certainly do narrow to somewhat of a point (in my case - especially some of my male friends/acquaintances/colleagues actually have fingertips that are completely blunt), they will be always be blunter than a certain area on the side of the finger (though it is most useful and apparent when fingers are held diagonally rather than completely sideways).

I am more inclined to think you have developed your own odd way of typing rather than that you have hands that are built unlike those of any person I know. (Hey, I also know a guy who doesn't use his thumbs at all while using pens or pencils...)

Um, no, I use my thumbs for "typing" on my phone. Actually I use them for doing most things on my phone. It's like the inside part of the tip I use, I guess? So it's not the side of the finger, but not the direct tip, if that makes sense, but that's mostly because they're at a tilt when I hold my phone and they naturally tap like that. If I use other fingers to tap, though, it's definitely the tip, and it's certainly not odd. It's not like I'm holding my hands/fingers in a funny way or anything.

I definitely use my thumbs when writing, too.

Again, your way or your friends' way of doing things isn't the way everyone does or should do something.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I prefer short fingernails, for a few reasons:

A) They break easier when long.

cool.gif I tend to bite them off when they get long, so keeping them short prevents me from biting.

C) I've cut myself with my fingernails before when they were long...

D) They don't make it harder to handle phones or type on a laptop.

Yes, I love my short fingernails, and you won't see me having them long or painting them (except for cosplay purposes xd.png). Short fingernails FTW.

" It's like the inside part of the tip I use, I guess?"

...That is essentially what I call the side of the fingertip. (Note "side of finger*tip*" rather than "side of finger".)

Do you have the last part of your finger at ~90 degrees when typing with fingers other than thumbs?

Does it matter?

You make it sound like I'm wrong/not normal or something...

All that matters is that to me, longer fingernails are a slight hindrance to typing on my phone/other touchscreens, but not too big a deal and not everyone taps their phone the same way.

We have differing opinions. To me it seems like you're thinking that because longer nails bother other people when using touchscreens that we're somehow holding our phones/fingers wrong and your way is the right way. It's just coming off that way to me, sorry if it's not. :c I don't really care how anyone holds their fingers. That's not the point of the thread.

I don't really care how people hold their hands or fingers, either... Mainly I am just trying to visualize how it would work conveniently in the "other" way. (Artist side of me, I guess?)

Somewhere in between. I don't like super short fingernails, or super long ones -- those huge fake fingernails people wear freak me out.

I've had short fingernails for as long as I can remember, mostly due to the fact that I have a really bad habit of biting them whenever I'm anxious and/or stressed. ;;

I've tried growing them out, but they usually end up being played with and bent until I pick the tips off...

At least when they're short, it gives me a small chance of getting an infection (on my fingers) after I bite them off! ;u;

Ugh. dirt collects under my finger nails when I grow them just slightly long. One situation is just now. I just finished dusting up some old things.

I like touchscreens that respond to my nails. Much easier than with my fingertips (I've always hate using my fingers, even before I long nails)

I also started trying to sharpen my left hand, still figuring out how I'm gonna do my right. I'm pretty coordinated with my left hand, but sharpening nails is hard >_<

<BAMTHREADREZ>

I like the idea of long nails. Scratching is easier and they look nicer when painted.

However, they do have their disadvantages. They bend and break more easily, and they tend to do so right at the edge of the discomfort point. Also, some of my fingers start feeling weird when my nails get too long, like they're too flimsy or something. That might be diet-related since I've heard that it can happen with some mineral deficiencies, but yeah. And they tend to get in the way of playing certain woodwind and keyboard instruments.

For all of that, I tend to keep my nails reasonably short, but I hate trimming them so it only happens when my nails start to bother me.

I like long, but natural, fingernails. The graceful looking almond shaped ones are my favorites.

Long and square edged for me (Thats how mine naturally grow)...mainly because they are a nightmare to cut - i have bent three pairs of scissors out of shape attempting to do so xd.png I just have weirdly strong nails laugh.gif

because of my dermotophagia, i suppose short nails are best for me.

Long and square edged for me (Thats how mine naturally grow)...mainly because they are a nightmare to cut - i have bent three pairs of scissors out of shape attempting to do so XD I just have weirdly strong nails  :lol:

Why are you using scissors!? Those aren't meant to cut nails in the first place! XD Nail clippers are specifically made for cutting your nails. They have the right leverage and blades for it. You might need to get toenail clippers for your nails if they're too strong for regular ones. Toenail clippers are a bit sturdier and usually have straighter edges.

EDIT: Unless you mean nail scissors specifically. I forgot about those. XD I still think nail clippers would be better.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

long finger nails but i dont like long toe nails. But I dont like them so long that they could break off and break down too short. Do you know what I mean?

Never had really long nails, because I've played the violin up to last winter and my nails are quite thin and tend to deform if I let them grow.

I don't like completely short nails either, because the fingers feel blunt then, but usually keep them up to the end of the fingertip. Looks fine, feels fine, imo.

One thing that I really detest are bitten nails.

*high fives*

I keep my nails short because of violin playing too, though I've never liked long ones anyway.

I'm torn. I like long nails because I'm a big fan of French manicures, which don't really work on very short nails. But, I play and teach piano, so I really can't let my nails get long or else they'll get in the way.

So I guess I like the look of long nails, but I keep mine short because that's just what's more practical for me.

I have short but not so short. Long nails are weird to me.

Anyways nice to know I'm not the only one.

the only thing i don't like about my long fingernails is that they will chip easily.

But other than that i love them! They look so pretty!!!