S9429183F

Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?  

408 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Short. Long fingernails are just inconvenient; they snag on things and get broken easily. Also because i am a violinist.

I keep my nails moderately long. I have them short enough so that I can play guitar, but not short to where they don't look very nice. My nails are all different sizes, but it is extremely hard to notice because they're always painted. Breaking is very common among them... however, the nails on my pinkie fingers are very, very much stronger then the others. They also grow longer, too, since they don't break.

Is there an option for moderate. I simply voted short.

I prefer short nails because long nails, arguably, gets dirty easily. It's hard to keep them clean. I wonder how people maintain their long clean nails. I envy them.

I keep all my nails short and of the same shape and length, except my index fingers which I keep a bit, slightly, longer so I can scrape that scotch tape, pry of stickers. Not too long though that I feel it might break and also enough to play the guitar.

I prefer short nails because long nails, arguably, gets dirty easily. It's hard to keep them clean. I wonder how people maintain their long clean nails. I envy them.

That's odd, I have the exact opposite problem. I find it hard to clean short nails as stuff gets stuck under them and you have to pry it out, while my long nails are kinda self-cleaning. Washing my hands will usually suffice to keep them clean.

Maybe because short nails are attached to the skin and thus, dirt wouldn't get near. When they're long, there's a portion where it's unattached to the skin, dirt can easily accumulated underneat them.

Anyway, I suppose ot's possible to have them washed off when the nails are long wnough but it sledom happens to me. Washing my hands won't suffice. I have to scrub them, usually I just take a bath and they're clean. However, they get dirty again atyerwards. *LOL*

laugh.gif Orlageddon, I really envy you!

I very much would prefer longer nails, mainly for appearance reasons. Unfortunately, my nails break quite easily

A while back I was biting my nails a ton, they were like an eighth inch back from the tip of my finger. Not fun. They still haven't reattached properly, so dirt gets way up under them and I have tons of trouble getting them clean (water seems to just push it back >_< ) It really bugs me, I can oft be seen trying to clean them out with my other fingers (or a pencil...)

That sounds super annoying and possibly painful, MW. I hate having specks of dirt under there @_@

Which is why I prefer short nails! Easier to clean; plus, I work in a job where sometimes I have to peel labels from bottles, and shorter nails (not non-existant, just short) are best for that. Longer nails will tend to bend or break if a label is especially sticky.

However! If I wasn't working at this particular job, I would love to have longer nails, and paint them. No nail polish allowed at my workplace =( Polish would probably help them not bend, too...=(

Short just past the end of your fingers is the easier length to use, but I do love long nails when I can have them. Jello does help keep your nails stronger as does dairy and consomme if you aren't vegan. Nail brushes, a wooden cuticle stick and a whitener can all help to keep your nails clean and looking good. Keep an emery board or nail file, nail clippers and a few band-aids in your purse for emergency repairs. Ripped and chipped nails snag and become painful or just awful looking messes.

*looks around*

Oi! Am I the only male that likes long nails? blink.gif Er, did I enter a female topic in the forums?

It's not usually painful, just really annoying >_<

And, eh, I've liked long fingernails longer than I've been a girl (Just, like, nail biter dry.gif)

I don't like long nails. They can get dirty and makes you want to do bad stuff with them. LOL! I like short nails. I always have my nails short and when they start getting long I cut them right away. Makes my work a lot easier with my hands.

I prefer short fingernails. I'm learning to play the violin and long nails would get in the way. xd.png

I like long nails, I file them into points/talons x3. People call the the harpy.

Like several other people on this thread, I am forced to keep my fingernails short in order to play the violin. It's awful when you're playing through a piece and you suddenly, and accidentally, pluck the string. I also just like the look of short nails. They're almost always much cleaner than their longer counterparts. (At least, from where I'm from they are.)

I like long nails, I file them into points/talons x3. People call the the harpy.

^^^

Pretty much my intent (Though as I mentioned before, my nails break a lot, so they aren't very long yet)

I love how long (well looked after) nails look but I always keep mine short. I bite my nails so they never get long anyway.

sad.gif I prefer short nails because long nails proved distracting when tapping on the screen of my tablet.

...I still do not know how it is even *possible* for fingernails to get in the way while typing or using touch-screens or -pads. For me it is extremely inconvenient and tiring, if not borderline painful to hold my fingers in a way that would make my nails hit any surface during either activity, and my nail-length gets up to a centimetre or so often enough. Then again, I cannot see how fingernails interfere with playing a piano, either.

...I still do not know how it is even *possible* for fingernails to get in the way while typing or using touch-screens or -pads. For me it is extremely inconvenient and tiring, if not borderline painful to hold my fingers in a way that would make my nails hit any surface during either activity, and my nail-length gets up to a centimetre or so often enough. Then again, I cannot see how fingernails interfere with playing a piano, either.

My nails definitely make it harder when I'm trying to use my iPhone. It's only a slight hindrance, but the nails do get in the way. They aren't as in the way when typing, though sometimes they can be. I don't really mind it, though, especially since it works out for my DS's touchscreen. c:

I love having longer nails but my nails look horrid either way because I used to bite them. So even when they're "long", they look stubby and ugly because the pink part is so short. My fingers are short, too, which doesn't help. I like painting them when long because then they look a little better.

I also have serious OCD about my nails. If they vary in length too much I can't stand it and will try to even them out ASAP, even if it means biting the longer ones off to match the shorter ones. That means if I break a nail off close to the quick, I bite or clip the nails all the way back down to match. It looks horrid, but feeling the uneven lengths drives me crazy.

Mine are long-ish. They are not long enough to get in the way of anything, but they are long enough to be useful. As an entomologist, I find them very useful for picking up small insects that fell while I was trying to glue them to a point mount. (Every time, every time).

while long nails look good, I don't understand them. I can't work with long nails. I have a biting problem so if they are long I will bite them. Also I worked with animals and if you have long nails you get them ripped out if you have an animal grab them.

I already have a lot of scratches on my iPad screen because I grew my nails long over the summer.

I just discovered the worst thing about long nails: Half the touchscreens I encounter require you to touch them with your skin, and my nails keep getting in the way :/ Luckily it's not like that on my DS, which is the other half >_>

I usually have shortish fingernails, mainly due to being yet unable to break the habit of biting then when they get longer. Sometimes I use nail polish as a biting deterrent and then they get a bit longer, which is nice, but in general I have pretty short nails. I think long nails are incredibly cool, but I would never be able to maintain them.