Xyie

Description Review Notification

I believe it would be beneficial to be able to tell when someone has reviewed one of my dragons' descriptions without having to hunt down into each "Describe" action looking for constructive criticism. A small notification symbol could be used for this, either on the scroll itself (only on your "/account" page), on the page for each dragon (only visible to you like the "Actions" link), or on the "Actions" page for each dragon. Ideally this would only appear if and only if a description review contains any comments. I haven't gotten a description rejected that I know of so I don't know what happens to the comments if the description is rejected, but I do know that if approved, the review comments that I haven't seen, along with those I have, disappear. If one is notified that they're there in the first place, corrections might be made sooner, and the moderator(s) might not have to sort through as many rejects.

Another idea:

I searched for a topic about this, but didn't find anything about it - my apologies if this is a duplicate.

The idea is this: to add an option that when you submit a description, you can request to receive an e-mail notification whenever:

1. - A "user" rating (Approve, Reject, Abstain) and/or comment is added to your description.

2. - A "mod" review has taken place, resulting in your description being Approved, or Rejected; ie - when the description status changes.

Every day, I go through each of my dragons checking to see if any of them have received new "user" reviews, and if there are more comments. Of course, I am also checking to see if any of them have been reviewed by a mod. I currently have 20 submitted descriptions awaiting moderation, and I am sure there are others out there who have more than I do...

If there was a system in place whereby I received an e-mail any time a user comment was added, or whenever a mod reviewed my description, it would save me a significant amount of time. Plus, right now - when descriptions are approved, the comments disappear and are no longer visible. I would like to be able to have a record of what the user comments were before approval - and a personal e-mail record would serve my purposes.

Of course, some people in DC may not want to receive such messages, so, if a check box was added that allowed people the choice, that would give people the opt-in capability.

Any thoughts?

Other possibilities:

-Choose mod-only notification or user and mod

-Ability to have the notification e-mailed to you, at the top of your scroll, or both

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

This isn't bad. Maybe a page that lists all your pending descriptions and the comments under them? Mod rejected ones would stay on the page, but mod accepted ones could have a little symbol by them (maybe a little quill). Would make it easier on keeping track of your own and getting to read other's descriptions when you click on someone's scroll and can see they have a description. :3

This isn't bad. Maybe a page that lists all your pending descriptions and the comments under them? Mod rejected ones would stay on the page, but mod accepted ones could have a little symbol by them (maybe a little quill). Would make it easier on keeping track of your own and getting to read other's descriptions when you click on someone's scroll and can see they have a description. :3

Oh hey a whole page dedicated to that? Now that's an idea. I like that option. Why didn't I think of that? huh.gif Musta been trying to think of the least amount of change...but on the coding side, that might be the least change.

This would actually encourage me to start writing them again.

Right now I have so many dragons, and it takes so long to review the descriptions, that I gave up trying to keep track and just stopped writing them.

I've been considering a notification system (kind of similar to DA) for various things. Eggs hatching/dying/whatever, description reviews, it could be used for all of 'em.

Omg do eet!

Would there be notification sprites? Like little buttons or something?

Also reminds me of gpx+ - the notification thing for an egg hatching iiis... /tracks down sprite

/fails at finding without hatching an egg

Aah. D: Oh well.

Agreed to the do it.

There's many pros to this, including the fact that I personally believe, that when there's a delay in approving descriptions people stop checking so regularly. It would be useful this way, to notify them as soon as it's been done, rather than checking with a maybe/maybe not approach.

The only thing I would ask, if that when notifications are implemented, that we can pick and choose which ones we have on or off.

For example, older users may not want the hatching updates or the sickness ones, but may want the description ones. On the flip side, people might want to turn on the sickness notification if they were away/being scroll sat, for example.

If you were doing it for when your description received reviews, I'd also recommend it for when descriptions had been approved by a moderator as well. However, I still strongly support the quill icon.

I support this. I tend to submit descriptions in large batches, and it's a pain to check every dragon with a pending description for comments when they're scattered all through my scroll. (I still want the quill icon as well - that way, when I'm looking at someone else's scroll, I know which of their dragons have descriptions).

I've been considering a notification system (kind of similar to DA) for various things. Eggs hatching/dying/whatever, description reviews, it could be used for all of 'em.

^ This.

Would be very helpful.

Maybe have it show up as, say, a red exclamation mark on the badge area that only you can see?

This would be wonderful to have, TJ.

^ This.

Often, when I have the inspiration to write descriptions, I have a few going at once...and can't remember which. And for people with slow connections that don't want to look through all the pages for comments... This page would be an awesome way to help with that.

I searched for a topic about this, but didn't find anything about it - my apologies if this is a duplicate.

The idea is this: to add an option that when you submit a description, you can request to receive an e-mail notification whenever:

1. - A "user" rating (Approve, Reject, Abstain) and/or comment is added to your description.

2. - A "mod" review has taken place, resulting in your description being Approved, or Rejected; ie - when the description status changes.

Every day, I go through each of my dragons checking to see if any of them have received new "user" reviews, and if there are more comments. Of course, I am also checking to see if any of them have been reviewed by a mod. I currently have 20 submitted descriptions awaiting moderation, and I am sure there are others out there who have more than I do...

If there was a system in place whereby I received an e-mail any time a user comment was added, or whenever a mod reviewed my description, it would save me a significant amount of time. Plus, right now - when descriptions are approved, the comments disappear and are no longer visible. I would like to be able to have a record of what the user comments were before approval - and a personal e-mail record would serve my purposes.

Of course, some people in DC may not want to receive such messages, so, if a check box was added that allowed people the choice, that would give people the opt-in capability.

Any thoughts?

Seems like a very good idea to me too.

I like this idea, although it has been fun to opened a dragon's page and see the whole story when you least expect it. I have twelve written, all approved, but need to get started writing the rest, and notifications on comments or mod approval would be a great help for me to stick with the writing. And anything that Sock thinks will be a help in working through the backlog definitely has my support! smile.gif

While I would probably not be able to use this option (I had to use my dad's email. I don't have my own on my computer), I would like to. I think this would definitely be useful. I have quite a few dragons being described, so knowing the status on it would really be nice, 'specially since I tend to forget which draggies I describe. rolleyes.gif

EDIT: I also like the idea of an onsite notification, like evilbunny405 suggested.

Edited by Switch

Total support! I have a ton of dragons waiting for description approval, and it would be really nice to be notified of user, or mod feedback!

Yes, PLEASE. I especially like Sockster's idea of a separate page. Let me see...