eleka

Star Wars

[ENDING SPOILERS]

Does anyone else think that Luke might have been on Earth? I wish I had a screenshot of the completed map they had at the end, because I'm pretty sure the location of the "uncharted system" matches the location we are in the Milky Way.

We watched it on the 25th on a monster screen biggrin.gif

Before entering the theatre I somehow knew that Kylo was Han and Leia's son. And I had been avoiding all spoilers, even trailers. And I think Rey might be Luke's daughter. I agree that she is good with the sable because she is good with her staff. But regarding how she managed the force so easily, that bothered us too. There is a part of the story that they didn't show us. Maybe, just maybe, her memory was blocked or wiped. Here's a crazy theory: Luke trained her and Kylo together, and when he chose the dark path, Luke hid his daughter and for her safety blocked all the Force knowledge from her.

All in all, I did enjoy the movie biggrin.gif

[ENDING SPOILERS]

Does anyone else think that Luke might have been on Earth? I wish I had a screenshot of the completed map they had at the end, because I'm pretty sure the location of the "uncharted system" matches the location we are in the Milky Way.

[spoiler ALERT!!!!]

I had that inkling when we got to see the whole map, too. And the look of the planet that Rey landed on had me immediately thinking, "Yeah! That's totally gotta be Earth!"

Edit: I mean, beyond the obvious, "Of course the movie had to be filmed on Earth." Just the way they framed the landscape seemed to suggest that it was actually supposed to be Earth.

Edited by m_overdone

as of last weekend i have seen this 5 times now.

yes i am obsessed. dont judge me

If I had the time and energy, I'd probably be watching it multiple times, too. xd.png I don't blame you.

+1 to this thread.

Prequel trilogy does not exist. Agree/disagree/why?

Strongly agree! Most terrible nonexisting trilogy in existence with terrible cgi, and terrible back stories for Darth Vader and Bobba Fett. Many other reasons of course.

i am officially resurrecting this very old thread because .....

THE FORCE AWAKENS !!!

omg

anyone seen and want to discuss?

I have seen and am willing to give my opinion, but not on here because my opinion will contain spoilers and that is not right for those who have not seen it yet.

asdfghjkl;

The Force Awakens was. SO. GOOD.

Rey is amazing. I love her. So much. (Also love her first outfit so much. The only character I've ever really been tempted to cosplay. But I don't do cosplay. x3 ) And Rey sitting there eating while rocking the pilot helmet? Absolutely adorable.

Finn is such a cutie little sweetie pie. He's so good. So pure. Precious cinnamon roll. I love how he's so loveable and also so capable. And he's just been like this not person his whole life and then he woke up and he just creates such pure, loving relationships with Poe and Rey. It's so sweet. Like him and Poe bonding while being rescued and running to hug each other when they realize the other is alive and Finn and Rey excitedly bonding after their awesome flying/shooting in escaping Jakku. GAH.

Not drawn to Poe like I am to Rey and Finn, but I LOVE him and Finn's relationship. "Keep it. It looks good on you." SLAY MY HEART, why don't'chu, precious Stormpilot?

Maz Kanata!!! Okay, awesome grandma space pirate who's lived for thousands of years and has the best quote in the movie about seeing people in other's eyes. Can't lose with Lupita!

Also loved the scene when she totally bypasses Han Solo to give the lightsaber to Finn to give to Rey. XD

Leia was so great to see. Personally love Carrie Fisher. Really enjoyed how Leia has evolved.

And if BB-8 isn't the cutuest little robot you've ever seen, I don't know who is.

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens as well! It's an awesome ride. biggrin.gif

But... I must admit to being a little disappointed in Kylo Ren. I was sort of expecting more "Darth Vader" and less "Ep. III Anakin" from him. I know, it's showing how conflicted he is and all that, but something seemed to fall a little short somewhere along the way. Maybe I just missed something...guess I'll have to go see it again just to make sure. wink.gif

I am eager to see where everyones' stories go from here. Even Ren's.

Here's a c**** theory: Luke trained her and Kylo together, and when he chose the dark path, Luke hid his daughter and for her safety blocked all the Force knowledge from her.

SPOILERS

There's an awesome fan theory that Rey is actually Kenobi, which I have been swayed by.

~

/doesn't care about Rey's ability being Mary Sue because like every male Star Wars character is a Gary Stu and has done over the top things ;P

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens as well! It's an awesome ride. biggrin.gif

But... I must admit to being a little disappointed in Kylo Ren. I was sort of expecting more "Darth Vader" and less "Ep. III Anakin" from him. I know, it's showing how conflicted he is and all that, but something seemed to fall a little short somewhere along the way. Maybe I just missed something...guess I'll have to go see it again just to make sure. wink.gif

I am eager to see where everyones' stories go from here. Even Ren's.

While I liked the movie as a whole. I was conflicted over many characters.

SPOILER ALERT!

First off, Flynn. How you you have a character that is taken as a baby and put through training to be a stormship trooper all of a sudden decide to change his mind? This is one of the biggest issues I have with this movie.

Another one comes with one of the favorite characters that everyone has. How can she already use mind manipulation and summon a light saber when no other jedi has been able to before? Did not like this at all. Seems like Disney just wanted to try to make an op character at the start. I was sad enough that they went away from the books, but now this?

Last, we come to the main villain of the arc. I don't know what to do with him. Do I put him in diapers and burp him? There is no real background on him and you cannot assume what happens to him in the books since they went away from the books. Is he going to be the book version of Luke where he has a period of time where he goes Sith and them becomes a Jedi again?

Last overall issue goes with the plot. It is a complete lack of originality and more a copy and paste of the other movies. I hope this is rectified in the next movie, but we will have to wait till 2017 until then. Hopefully the other Star Wars movies will have more originality and characters that make more sense.

Other than those issues. the rest of the movie was great. I liked how it did not go heavy with CG. The flow of the movie worked very well. It was directed well and the acting was great.

I watched the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens and loved it. It's basically Episode IV for the new generations, as they share so many common themes and similar story, but in way this is fitting and it was still an awesome movie. I'll definitely be seeing the sequel.

Edited by stagazer_7

I saw it the day after it came out with my boyfriend. He gave it an 8 out of 10 and I gave it a 7.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

I thought it was a great movie, but there were a few 'eh' things that bugged me. I know they wanted to show everyone that it was closer to episodes 4-6 and not 1-3, but to show this you were constantly reminded nearly every 10-15 mins.

I was really happy when we saw Solo and Chewy again. In fact I enjoyed hearing the audience cheer every time an old character appeared on the screen again. What I found funny though, was that everyone cheered the loudest for R2D2...at least until The elusive Jedi Master appeared. He didn't even have to say anything either. I'm really excited to see what happens in episode 8.

I am a bit sad to see that this movie beat AVATAR for the highest grousing film, because that's one of my top fav movies of all time, but if any movie had to beat it, I'm glad it's Star Wars. smile.gif

asdfghjkl;

The Force Awakens was. SO. GOOD.

Rey is amazing. I love her. So much. (Also love her first outfit so much. The only character I've ever really been tempted to cosplay. But I don't do cosplay. x3 ) And Rey sitting there eating while rocking the pilot helmet? Absolutely adorable.

Finn is such a cutie little sweetie pie. He's so good. So pure. Precious cinnamon roll. I love how he's so loveable and also so capable. And he's just been like this not person his whole life and then he woke up and he just creates such pure, loving relationships with Poe and Rey. It's so sweet. Like him and Poe bonding while being rescued and running to hug each other when they realize the other is alive and Finn and Rey excitedly bonding after their awesome flying/shooting in escaping Jakku. GAH.

Not drawn to Poe like I am to Rey and Finn, but I LOVE him and Finn's relationship. "Keep it. It looks good on you." SLAY MY HEART, why don't'chu, precious Stormpilot?

Maz Kanata!!! Okay, awesome grandma space pirate who's lived for thousands of years and has the best quote in the movie about seeing people in other's eyes. Can't lose with Lupita!

Also loved the scene when she totally bypasses Han Solo to give the lightsaber to Finn to give to Rey. XD

Leia was so great to see. Personally love Carrie Fisher. Really enjoyed how Leia has evolved.

And if BB-8 isn't the cutuest little robot you've ever seen, I don't know who is.

[KINDA-SORTA SPOILER WARNING]

I SECOND ALL OF THIS!! (BB-8 is sooooo adorable - though I couldn't help but laugh during one scene when they very clearly cut away from BB-8 because they didn't want to figure out/show how it would manage to climb stairs. You know, being a rolling volleyball and all. xd.png)

And yah - Finn is such a precious cinnamon roll. Too good for this world. I love his dynamic with both Rey and Poe. And I love how excited each of them (Finn, Rey, and Poe) got whenever they pulled off something unexpected/cool. What geeks. What adorable geeks.

Edited by m_overdone

I am a bit sad to see that this movie beat AVATAR for the highest grousing film, because that's one of my top fav movies of all time, but if any movie had to beat it, I'm glad it's Star Wars. smile.gif

Definitely agree. I was a bit sad seeing it pass Avatar too but this is an awesome movie nonetheless!

I'm not sure if Rey has Skywalker DNA. She hasn't whinged about anything yet o3o

As for Rey being a 'Mary Sue', she has some pretty legitimate reasons for being able to do what she does. She grows up scavenging ship parts, so she must have at least a basic idea of how they work in order to estimate how much they are worth. She must have to compete with others for parts, so holding her own in a fight is another given.

When it comes to the Force, she doesn't do anything that she won't have heard about or have been 'shown' first (courtesy of Kylo Ren). Everyone knows about 'Jedi mind tricks', so when Rey realises that she can do this stuff, it's not a far stretch for her to start trying them out. It's not like she succeeds right off the bat anyway, and has to take a moment to calm down and get herself together.

I'm not sure if Rey has Skywalker DNA. She hasn't whinged about anything yet o3o

As for Rey being a 'Mary Sue', she has some pretty legitimate reasons for being able to do what she does. She grows up scavenging ship parts, so she must have at least a basic idea of how they work in order to estimate how much they are worth. She must have to compete with others for parts, so holding her own in a fight is another given.

When it comes to the Force, she doesn't do anything that she won't have heard about or have been 'shown' first (courtesy of Kylo Ren). Everyone knows about 'Jedi mind tricks', so when Rey realises that she can do this stuff, it's not a far stretch for her to start trying them out. It's not like she succeeds right off the bat anyway, and has to take a moment to calm down and get herself together.

LOL! I do think she may be some long-lost kid of Leia & Han, though - Leia was always the least whiney Skywalker, after all. (And Skywalker women seem to be significantly tougher than Skywalker men. xd.png)

And agreed on the "Rey not being a Mary Sue" front - she's clearly a quick learner, and there is certain logic to her being able to pick up on certain things without it purely being, "Well, she's innately gifted." Plus, I think she's got some well-written emotional/personality flaws that prove that they're more than superficial. (e.g. The understandable but still kinda unhealthy obsession with her long-lost family. The way she doesn't really trust that others want/need her, etc.)

SPOILERS

There's an awesome fan theory that Rey is actually Kenobi, which I have been swayed by.

~

/doesn't care about Rey's ability being Mary Sue because like every male Star Wars character is a Gary Stu and has done over the top things ;P

Actually I can believe this theory as well. It seems to fit better.

If Rey ends up being Luke's daughter I will be disappoint.

And what if, if this theory is true, Rey's parents were specifically targeted because her mother or father was the offspring of Obi-Wan? And that's why they never came back for her? Because they were murdered by the First Order? And they left her behind on Jakku to protect her, not to abandon her?

Edited by zaverxi

Regardless of her parentage, I do think that maybe Rey had some Jedi training when she was young, too young to recall it.

I remember reading somewhere that those who show an aptitude for the Force are taken in for Jedi training at birth or shortly after. It might be a bit of a stretch for Luke, as the only Jedi about at the time, to take in a newborn Rey for training, but if she really is as strong in the Force as it is hinted, then he might have picked up on her at some point. Maybe Rey was a toddler at the time.

Anyway, if she was part of Luke's group, then she would have been around when Kylo Ren went to the Dark Side and started slaying their classmates. Why did she survive? I don't know. Maybe Rey was still too young to be with the others at that time. Maybe Kylo spared her for whatever reason. Maybe he just overlooked/forgot about her. Maybe she was just the only kid that Luke managed to save.

Anyway, Kylo went off to join the Order and Luke decided to go be a hermit for the next twenty years or so, that still left the matter of Rey. Father or teacher, he wouldn't want to subject Rey to what would be basically a non-life, especially if he was going to give up on training anyone. So he might have:

*Left her on Jakku himself to protect her/distance her from him.

*Sent her back to her mother who left her on Jakku to protect her.

*Sent her back to her parents who left her on Jakku to protect her.

*Sent her back to her parents who left her on Jakku to protect themselves.

The fourth theory I think could be an interesting one. Say you were convinced to give up your daughter when she was only a year old, but she is given back to you a few years later. Now she's got Jedi powers, but very little control over them. Combine that with the trauma of watching a bunch of other children get slaughtered and you have a recipe for some explosive displays of Force power. You also know that one of Luke's other students lost his mind and murdered people.

You don't want to harm your own kid, but you're scared of her. Too scared to keep her around. So you decide to abandon her and run away as far as you can.

Rey is still very young and confused. Maybe she's grown afraid of herself. In self defence she blocks out the memories of everything she has experienced and suppresses her powers, thinking that maybe if she is a good girl, her parents will come back.

Regardless of her parentage, I do think that maybe Rey had some Jedi training when she was young, too young to recall it.

I'm inclined to agree with you that she likely had some Jedi training as a youngster, and maybe even knew Luke at some point (though I don't think he's her father). Part of what makes me think this is that in her flashback, she was standing next to R2D2 (or else a bot of the same make/model as R2, making for a clever decoy storytelling-wise). I think it's also possible that she blocked out certain memories.

Aw fudge. My idea that Rey might have had some training has been kinda stomped on. One of the peeps over at Lucasfilm says that Rey is only 19. If Luke has been hermiting for the last 20 years, then he couldn't have taught her.

For any Kylo Ren fans out here, an egg from someone whose code is Kylo.

https://dragcave.net/teleport/5237880d437f7123b8f0d7d31cf05e59

As for Jar Jar and the other Prequel Trilogy stuff: I love them because it is still SW. Part of the big (and growing) 'verse.

Sad thing that the Thrawn trilogy and the X-wings books are now set aside. So is the Republic Commando serier, which was meant to be 6 books.... But I still won't complain.