Mori_hime

Can killing dragons be a good thing?

Killing inbreds is always a good thing.  Though because of the limited number of kill slots, I usually end up freezing and releasing.

Killing inbreds may always be a good thing in your eyes but it is not in mine. It's an individual decision. I'm of the opinion that all CBs are inbred so a lineage inbred doesn't matter much. The death of this guy would be a pity. http://dragcave.net/lineage/PQ48M And frankly I find him much more attractive then a lineage that starts with tombstones but each to their own.

Here is a recent AP catch that I love. http://dragcave.net/lineage/aYl3b Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. wink.gif

Edited by Sir Barton

I sometimes deliberately take inbreds if I want frozen hatchlings, because I don't want to "waste" a dragon I'd use for breeding. I actually just traded for one, and seeing this topic almost gave me a bad conscience xd.png but I'm glat to hear that my little frozen guy won't negatively affect future breeding attempts of careful breeders.

Killing inbreds may always be a good thing in your eyes but it is not in mine. It's an individual decision. I'm of the opinion that all CBs are inbred so lineage inbred doesn't matter much.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. wink.gif

Nor in mine either. Others may well want them - don't tell them how to play !

I like the tombstones more than a messy lineage.

Messy is ALL OVER THE PLACE imo. So a mirrored lineage is okay. The last link Sir Barton posted is okay.

An inbred dragon/egg can be pretty, but I find it takes more determination for a nice lined animal WITHOUT inbreeding.

I'm against inbreeding, but to each their own. I will not put down someone for inbreeding, that's their choice.

If a line is extremely horrific I will probably kill the parents if I own them. If I'm aiming for a certain line I will kill the parents if CBs are hard to come by. Again, a tombstone is prettier than a messy lineage IMOO.

I don't kill eggs intentionally, only through failed vamp bites. At least then I can say "oh well, not my fault!" XD I won't kill hatchlings or adults, either; I freeze and/or release, or I freeze and keep hatchlings as name holders.

I really like pretty inbred lineages, or lineages that are inbred on purpose for amusement purposes. Heck, I've built a nice red lineage that's even-gen and eight generations inbred. I can't STAND lazy "I don't care I'm going to breed this to this" inbreeding. Those lineages are gross. I've bitten inbred golds and silvers that someone mass-bred and released. It may not be doing a thing for the ratios, but in my mind, it at least keeps the "yuck" from being perpetuated any further.

But if I catch an ugly inbred egg and I bite it, that's my choice. Sure, someone else may want it, but if I caught it and it's on my scroll, I have no obligation to give it to someone who wants it. That's not me telling someone how to play, that's me playing the way I want to play.

Edited by AngelKitty

But if I catch an ugly inbred egg and I bite it, that's my choice. Sure, someone else may want it, but if I caught it and it's on my scroll, I have no obligation to give it to someone who wants it. That's not me telling someone how to play, that's me playing the way I want to play.

I agree with you 100%.

YOU wanted it. YOU were someone else. But you wanted it for a vamp. Honestly I find that DOING SOMETHING with that inbred egg...

Right now I'm trying to kill this Gold (http://dragcave.net/lineage/8fK9) so its offspring on my page "looks" CB. I'll be creating a lineage with the dragon. I know it's not REALLY CB but whatever. To each their own.

I once killed 2 Blunas so its offspring looked like a CB Bluna. I thought that was awesome!

I killed to get my Zombies, and that was it.

I remember seeing a CB egg on the AP when I was looking for a certain lineage, and throwing it back. Someone else took it, turned it into a Vampire, and it ended up back on the AP. I was fortunate to be able to grab it then, because Bite statistics had already gone downhill at that point. If others want to kill, for whatever reason, who am I to judge? I would like others to play the way they want.

I haven't told anybody how to play. But that doesn't mean I'm going to hold back my opinions. I despise inbreds (especially of the willy nilly variety) and I think killing them is always a good thing, and frankly a good deed to do, especially if it's a rare. Clearly that is my opinion, but if I am the one making the statement, who else's opinion would it be? So I don't think I need to make the "it's just my opinion, not trying to force this on anyone; it's just the way I play" qualification every time I state my opinion because that should be understood.

For me personally, every time an inbred comes across my scroll (especially if it's a rare, and especially if it's of the lazy, willy nilly variety rather than the careful, deliberate, just-a-tad-less-revolting variety that Sir Barton posted) I will definitely make sure it gets taken out of the gene pool. One way or another.

Killing inbreds is always a good thing.  Though because of the limited number of kill slots, I usually end up freezing and releasing.

Hardly! I think that's a horrible thing to say!

If you grab an inbred from the AP and don't want it, killing it is taking away other people's choice to grab the egg and play how *they* want to play. I *love* collecting inbreds, especially inbred frozen hatchlings, and I think it's just horrible that some people deliberately kill inbreds instead of giving us collectors a chance to have them!

If you don't want inbreds on your scroll that's your choice, but killing them takes away *our* chance of having them on *our* scroll. If you don't want them, just reabandon them!

Edited by Marie19R

An inbred dragon/egg can be pretty, but I find it takes more determination for a nice lined animal WITHOUT inbreeding.

Just so you are aware, it can be extremely difficult to make an inbred lineage. One of my lineages has been stalled for over a year because the pair refuses to give me the correct breed for it to continue. Since I keep trying every week I can tell you that an inbred lineage can take as much determination as any other lineage.

I once killed 2 Blunas so its offspring looked like a CB Bluna. I thought that was awesome!

Simply because I have seen people make the claim that killing off parents is the only way to make a CB cave born black I feel the need to put in my two cents. That alt nor your Bluna will look CB because their parents show up as tombstones. That makes them look like 2nd gen at best... and possibly to others they will look like a long messy lineage bluna or black alt that the owner is trying too hard to make "pretty." For it to look CB it would have to stand alone without tombstones. Perhaps that will change one day and the tombstones will disappear but since TJ felt the need to add fake tombstones to Commondant Lassard's lineage, true CB black alt, I somehow doubt it.

But yes, each to their own. I know there are a good number of people on the forum who like tombstone lineages. To me even though a long messy lineage, inbred or not, may not be pretty it has more character then cleaned lineages or CBs. *shrugs* When I started playing the game there really wasn't an AP to speak of because people were just happy to catch an egg and didn't often release them. Up until maybe a year and a half or so ago all I had was CB dragons since I had never hunted the AP and I didn't breed. When I caught my first AP dragon I had a great deal of fun looking through the lineage to see what species were there and what sort of names people had come up with.

The great thing about DC is that people can play anyway they wish but I do really dislike it when people make unquantitative statements like Renorei's blanket statement, "Killing inbreds is always a good thing." If she would have included a simple "IMO" to her idea of "the only good inbred is a dead inbred" then it wouldn't have bothered me. I feel that is why fuzzbucket responded as she did about telling others how to play the game.

tl:dr? Quantify your statements as being your opinion and nothing more and less people will take offense even if they don't share said opinion.

Edited by Sir Barton

If you grab an inbred from the AP and don't want it, killing it is taking away other people's choice to grab the egg and play how *they* want to play. I *love* collecting inbreds, especially inbred frozen hatchlings, and I think it's just horrible that some people deliberately kill inbreds instead of giving us collectors a chance to have them!

Then you should have clicked faster. I got the egg first, therefore, I can do with it what I want and I'm under no obligation to re-abandon something I'd rather kill/make into a vampire/experiment on just because someone else may want to collect it. I'm honestly disappointed when I see an inbred rare from a mass-breed go to someone who doesn't kill or vamp it, but hey, I should have clicked faster. That's how the game works for everybody.

The great thing about DC is that people can play anyway they wish but I do really dislike it when people make unquantitative statements like Renorei's blanket statement, "Killing inbreds is always a good thing." If she would have included a simple "IMO" to her idea of "the only good inbred is a dead inbred" then it wouldn't have bothered me.

But she did.

I despise inbreds (especially of the willy nilly variety) and I think killing them is always a good thing

Clearly that is my opinion

:/

Edited by AngelKitty

But she did.

:/

That was her second post. If she had said that in her first post there most likely wouldn't have been an issue.

Her first post is what fuzzbucket, Marie19R and I were responding to.

Edited by Sir Barton

That was her second post. If she had said that in her first post there most likely wouldn't have been an issue.

Oh...I missed the first post and thought you were talking about the one I quoted. Sorry. XD

Edited by AngelKitty

No worries. smile.gif

What's bad about making definitive statements like that is it will cause spiteful people to breed more and worse inbreds simply because they don't like feeling that someone is telling them their way of playing is wrong. I know a great many spiteful people so I speak from experience there. dry.gif

Edited by Sir Barton

Hardly! I think that's a horrible thing to say!

If you don't want inbreds on your scroll that's your choice, but killing them takes away *our* chance of having them on *our* scroll. If you don't want them, just reabandon them!

^this^

There are people who want them. Why should anyone else say they can't have them. Those who DON'T want them don't have to keep them. Biting is one thing - that gets you a vamp (with luck.) Likewise trying for a zombie. But murder is something else.

And like Sir Barton, one of my inbred lineages is doing just that - I want a balloons from the pair (yes, I do !!!) and all I get is a Waverunner.

Edited by fuzzbucket

It almost seems... spiteful. "Hey, I don't like inbreds, and I have an inbred on my scroll, so I'm going to deliberately take up a kill-slot and egg-slot on my scroll in order to make sure no one else can have this inbred!" I mean, really?

It's not about spite, or about depriving others of something they want. It's about helping myself, along with most other users, get what *we* want. If I find an inbred black, trio, stripe, silver, or gold egg on the AP, that means that the egg I just caught is taking up a slot in the ratios that could go to a clean-lined or CB egg (though it could also go to another inbred egg, I still have to try). Furthermore, if I throw it back, the person who catches it might keep it and breed it, meaning even more slots will go to inbreds rather than CBs or clean-lined eggs. So let's say it's a black egg. If I kill it, vamp it, or freeze/release it, that could mean that I might catch a CB black egg the next day because I have essentially deleted that egg. Or some new player could catch their first CB black. Or some breeder might get the 2nd gen black egg they've been trying to breed for months. Or someone might finally have caught something worth trading for a tinsel. So on and so forth. The same logic applies to more common breeds as well, though with uber-commons it's not as big of a deal because there will always be more around and they're not as hard to breed. I understand that there are some people who want inbreds as badly as other people want CBs, but they're in the minority. Think about it, how often do you see someone offering a Neglected dragon or a tinsel in exchange for an inbred rare, versus how often you see them asking for CB rares? Yes, many people aren't fussy about lineage, but given the choice between a CB egg and a messy inbred egg, most users would choose the CB.

It's not about spite, or about depriving others of something they want. It's about helping myself, along with most other users, get what *we* want. If I find an inbred black, trio, stripe, silver, or gold egg on the AP, that means that the egg I just caught is taking up a slot in the ratios that could go to a clean-lined or CB egg (though it could also go to another inbred egg, I still have to try). Furthermore, if I throw it back, the person who catches it might keep it and breed it, meaning even more slots will go to inbreds rather than CBs or clean-lined eggs. So let's say it's a black egg. If I kill it, vamp it, or freeze/release it, that could mean that I might catch a CB black egg the next day because I have essentially deleted that egg. Or some new player could catch their first CB black. Or some breeder might get the 2nd gen black egg they've been trying to breed for months. Or someone might finally have caught something worth trading for a tinsel. So on and so forth. The same logic applies to more common breeds as well, though with uber-commons it's not as big of a deal because there will always be more around and they're not as hard to breed. I understand that there are some people who want inbreds as badly as other people want CBs, but they're in the minority. Think about it, how often do you see someone offering a Neglected dragon or a tinsel in exchange for an inbred rare, versus how often you see them asking for CB rares? Yes, many people aren't fussy about lineage, but given the choice between a CB egg and a messy inbred egg, most users would choose the CB.

Most users on the forum which is the minority of users on this site. While I really don't care if you kill an egg you caught because it is yours to do with as you like, that inbred rare could just as easily fall into the hands of someone who doesn't go to the forums and has been trying to catch a, say gold, for months is not years. Yeah, they might breed it with the idea of sharing the wealth but it may as easily just sit on their scroll filling the void in that collection that finally completes their goals. Since they don't go to the forums they have no idea that they could trade for the egg they desire, all they know is that they just saw a shiny egg in the AP and missed it..again... and if they happen to check on the code and see that it was caught and killed, how do you think they will feel? I'm going to guess it would be pretty much the same as how I felt when I was trying to drop my first Dorkface's offspring to my friend and he missed. That didn't bother me so much because I figured it just wasn't meant to be and the person who was suppose to have it got it. Then I find that they froze it and released it. http://dragcave.net/lineage/0rD4 Yes, I'm still very bitter about that. I know it was theirs to do with as they pleased but that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. A little compassion towards the feelings of others goes a long way. I don't fill the AP with convoluted inbreds because I know that there are people who don't like them so why is it so hard to at least offer something you don't want to someone who might want it? You can even offer it on the condition that it not be bred. Since most, if not all, people know that the forum is pure bred centric and the rare's offspring would hold no value, I'm pretty sure most who just want it for collecting would agree to those terms. Yes, it is still taking up a spot in the ratios but eliminating it isn't going to do much to help out anyway so why not make someone's day?

Most users on the forum which is the minority of users on this site. While I really don't care if you kill an egg you caught because it is yours to do with as you like, that inbred rare could just as easily fall into the hands of someone who doesn't go to the forums and has been trying to catch a, say gold, for months is not years. Yeah, they might breed it with the idea of sharing the wealth but it may as easily just sit on their scroll filling the void in that collection that finally completes their goals. Since they don't go to the forums they have no idea that they could trade for the egg they desire, all they know is that they just saw a shiny egg in the AP and missed it..again... and if they happen to check on the code and see that it was caught and killed, how do you think they will feel? I'm going to guess it would be pretty much the same as how I felt when I was trying to drop my first Dorkface's offspring to my friend and he missed. That didn't bother me so much because I figured it just wasn't meant to be and the person who was suppose to have it got it. Then I find that they froze it and released it. http://dragcave.net/lineage/0rD4  Yes, I'm still very bitter about that. I know it was theirs to do with as they pleased but that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. A little compassion towards the feelings of others goes a long way. I don't fill the AP with convoluted inbreds because I know that there are people who don't like them so why is it so hard to at least offer something you don't want to someone who might want it? You can even offer it on the condition that it not be bred. Since most, if not all, people know that the forum is pure bred centric and the rare's offspring would hold no value, I'm pretty sure most who just want it for collecting would agree to those terms. Yes, it is still taking up a spot in the ratios but eliminating it isn't going to do much to help out anyway so why not make someone's day?

^ Wholeheartedly this

Aside from the fact that a killed Inbred Gold will not cause a CB Gold to randomly pop up in the Cave, there are countless people who would be happy if they had any Gold at all. And you can say the same for pretty much any rare or uncommon breed.

Not everyone has the means to catch CB Metallics (slow internet, ...Real Life). And trading for CB or low-gen or otherwise nicely lineaged rares is not as easy as some people here are trying to imply, simply because it's hard enough to get by the stuff that people will be willing to trade their eggs for. If I had to rely on my luck in catching tradeworthy stuff, I still wouldn't have a Gold Dragon on my scroll.

Yes, it is still taking up a spot in the ratios but eliminating it isn't going to do much to help out anyway so why not make someone's day?

Eliminating it will help. It will make room for one more egg. Whether that egg is CB, clean-lined, messily-lineaged, or inbred, no one can predict. But the possibility that it will be a CB egg or an egg with a really pretty lineage exists, and I'm willing to take that chance.

Re: "why not make someone's day?"--That's just it. I am making someone's day. If I kill a gold egg, another one will crop up in its place. Someone will catch/breed that egg, and be ecstatic.

I am more concerned with doing things that help people get their first CB golds than helping them get their first golds period. have six gold dragons. None of them is really all that special to me, because their lineages are generally rather unimpressive. If the day ever comes that I catch a CB gold of my very own, I will cherish that dragon more than my other six gold dragons combined.

Not long ago, I caught a CB silver of my own. It was my second CB silver, but the first that I had personally caught. Catching that CB silver meant so much to me. To all the kind souls who have killed, vamped, or freeze/released inbred silvers in the past and helped make that moment possible, and to all the conscientious breeders who chose to stop breeding their inbred and long-lined silvers to make room for more CBs--thank you! You made my day!

See Renorei, it is still just coming down to personal values. I treasure each and every metal I have. I know where each one comes from whether it's a CB or second gen that I caught or if it's a long messy lineage that was gifted to me and it's special.

Yes, maybe you are making some one's day down the line because they eventually come across the gold that replaced the one you killed, CB, pretty lineaged, or inbred, if you gift that inbred to someone you could personally make someone's day today. We already know from TJ's ramblings somewhere back in time that if you kill that egg today the cave is not going to immediately react to it and make a replacement. If I had to hazard a guess I would say you are looking at a minimum of two weeks before it cycles out of the system and the cave pops out something else.

And it is discussions like this that make me feel like I shouldn't bother breeding my holly. She's not inbred but her lineage is not very pretty. I think she's gorgeous and was completely humbled that someone, a complete stranger, was kind enough to offer her to me. I wanted to share that feeling with others but with all the lineage pruning and egocentric thinking of "if I don't think it's worth keeping then no one should want/have it" there seems to be little point. I don't want to see her offspring killed so why try to add to the population?

See Renorei, it is still just coming down to personal values. I treasure each and every metal I have. I know where each one comes from whether it's a CB or second gen that I caught or if it's a long messy lineage that was gifted to me and it's special.

Yes, maybe you are making some one's day down the line because they eventually come across the gold that replaced the one you killed, CB, pretty lineaged, or inbred, if you gift that inbred to someone you could personally make someone's day today. We already know from TJ's ramblings somewhere back in time that if you kill that egg today the cave is not going to immediately react to it and make a replacement. If I had to hazard a guess I would say you are looking at a minimum of two weeks before it cycles out of the system and the cave pops out something else.

And it is discussions like this that make me feel like I shouldn't bother breeding my holly. She's not inbred but her lineage is not very pretty. I think she's gorgeous and was completely humbled that someone, a complete stranger, was kind enough to offer her to me. I wanted to share that feeling with others but with all the lineage pruning and egocentric thinking of "if I don't think it's worth keeping then no one should want/have it" there seems to be little point. I don't want to see her offspring killed so why try to add to the population?

I can see you and I aren't going to agree upon this, so I would rather peacefully agree to disagree. Regarding inbred golds, yes it's true that the cave may not create a replacement immediately. And it's true that I could personally gift that egg to someone and make their day today. But I am the kind of person who is content to make someone's day without getting to witness firsthand how happy the person is. Like, I don't need to hand-pick someone in order for them to be deserving enough to benefit from my actions.

Not long ago, I caught a CB silver for the first time. That CB silver means more to me than my six gold dragons combined. I believe that the actions of people who kill/vamp/freeze-release inbred rares, or who refrain from breeding their inbred or messy rares, probably contributed to me catching this CB silver. It made my day. THEY made my day. No, they didn't get to gift it to me personally. But their actions helped me enormously and I am grateful. Conversely, people who breed long-lined or inbred rares are indirectly taking CBs away from other users. I guess I just can't see why I should prioritize the joy of a user who would accept any gold over the joy of a user who has been playing for three years and still hasn't caught their first CB metal. You're right, it's a question of personal values. And I personally take great satisfaction in knowing that my actions might lead to people catching more CBs. But I don't see what's so wrong with that, as we all have a right to value things that are important to us. I mean, it's not like I'm forcing anyone else to neutralize inbred rares.

I am reminded last year of all the Holly breeders who were pitching a fit because they didn't think they'd be able to gift ALL of their eggs to specifically chosen users. As if letting an egg go the AP where it will be snatched up and loved and adored by a perfect stranger whose reaction you will never get to witness somehow makes it less of a gift than if you specifically chose someone, who may or may not be any more or less deserving than anyone else.

With Hollies, I think it's a much different story than it is with golds and silvers. If I caught a Holly that I didn't want because of lineage, I would not harm it. I would throw it back to the AP or give it to someone. With golds and silvers, an inbred egg is quite literally taking away a spot that could have been a CB egg. With Hollies, there are so few of them that some of them having messy lineages isn't going to mean any fewer with nice lineages. Plus Hollies only come around once a year but golds and silvers are being made every day. Compared to Hollies, golds and silvers are common. It's up to you, but I think you should breed your Holly.

Edited by Renorei

I recall TJ stated that killing a dragon doesn't mean a new cb dragon will appear instantly. Killing has nothing to do with ratios, at least in the way the ratios work now. It wouldn't help anything. Not that I hate the idea, it's just useless and pointless.

The only real benefit of killing at this moment is making zombies on Helloween.

Like Outer Space said, if killing has nothing to do with ratios, then theres no reason to kill the inbreds, if it's about avoiding long inbred lineages just send it back to the AP if you don't want it, there's a lot of people who would appreciate inbred eggs.

I have a few inbred, they look just as pretty as CB dragons, I just don't breed them, not because I mind them being inbred, but because since I joined the forum I found out a lot of people don't like inbreeding and will resort to killing them. I don't want to spend the time to raise my dragon finding it a pretty mate and getting a nice egg to then find out it has been killed in another scroll.

I love catching low time eggs and hatchlings in the AP, inbred or not I will keep them, if I don't like a specific breed then I gift it, there's a few threads for gifting and a lot of newbies (like me) who would appreciate an egg/hatchling of a species they don't have, you will find a lot of people willing to take in an inbred.

So if it doesn't affect ratios like stated above then I don't see a valid reason for killing, if you don't like messy inbred lineages then gift it or throw it back to the AP.

Everyone has their opinion and their way of playing, so I just wanted to express mine rolleyes.gif

P.S. If I ever found a metal in the AP, inbred or not, I would go temporarily insane with happiness. xd.png

Edited by Elery.

I only kill for Zombies, accidentally going for a Neglected or biting with a Vampire has killed some of my eggs. So I wouldn't kill a egg or hatchling for being inbred or having a long lineage. I keep inbreds and don't breed them. I think it is mean to kill rares, because someone out there would love that egg, even if it is inbred. A lot of people seldom get the chance to get a Gold, Silver or Tinsel. And many people don't care if their eggs are inbred or not (seemingly many non-forum-members don't notice).

I don't have any desire to keep others from killing eggs or hatchlings. I mean, that is why there is a limit on killing. But I feel bad for the people who might have caught that inbred Black and treasured it. It seems almost selfish to kill a rare or uncommon dragon when so many other, less fortunate, people would love to have it.

I caught an inbred Gold in the AP at one point. And I was just as excited to have her as much as any of my clean-lined Golds. Right now, I would love an inbred Silver from the AP - as I've had no luck getting any new Silvers for months and months.

With golds and silvers, an inbred egg is quite literally taking away a spot that could have been a CB egg.

No. That is like saying that getting a CB egg is "taking away" a spot for someone trying to breed their Gold or Silver.

Literally, killing an egg doesn't magically spawn a new one. I mean, it isn't even actually helping.

I recall TJ stated that killing a dragon doesn't mean a new cb dragon will appear instantly. Killing has nothing to do with ratios, at least in the way the ratios work now.