Mori_hime

Can killing dragons be a good thing?

I know everybody hates the idea of killing an egg, hatchling, or dragon. It seems low and despicable, right? But what if it can help?

Take for example: the state of blacks. Everybody loves breeding them, and CB's are really rare. So imagine if you get a black egg... and find out it's inbred. Or if you really want an alt, and then it hatches into a regular hatchling. If you then killed that dragon, that's one more successful breeding for someone else or an egg on the main page.

I think the main problem with it is that people don't like the idea of killing dragons. But really, aren't they just pixels?

The problem is that the ratios are currently favoring new breeds over old breeds. I almost never see any blacks in the AP anymore, which would theoretically mean they should be more common in the cave right? But they're not. Therefore, I don't think killing black dragons would make them appear any more often than they do now, especially since one person can only kill 5 times before reaching the limit and having to wait.

The best option right now is to wait and see what ideas TJ and the artists have been working on to help the ratios.

I can see what you mean.

The thing is, killing is fairly redundant. If you had a hatchling you didn't want (like in the example, it's a normal not an alt) many wouldn't kill it. Simply because, you would still get that tombstone there for 2 weeks, whereas it would be much simpler to just freeze it and then release it. I know in some circumstances that wouldn't be possible, for example if you didn't have any more freeze slots, but generally I think that releasing or abandoning is the better way to go. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there who does. There are now many inbred lineages, as well as newer members who would be fairly happy picking up a hatchling off the AP.

On the other hand, as someone who only likes CBs or 2nd gens in most cases, it's very frustrating to go hunting on the AP and pick up time and time again long lineages with no theme or just plain inbred. Personally, that's not what I'm collecting. So I imagine there are many out there, who in frustration would probably rather kill the egg. I don't tend to breed at all now. It's just not worth it.

They are just pixels, but people who spend time raising the eggs, posting them around, naming them, giving them descriptions, they hold a little more meaning than a picture on a screen. However, at the end of the day they are, but they still have an emotional attachment to people.

On a personal level, I don't really mind either way. I've seen people kill things, for reasons I don't know. Like a trade has gone wrong and I missed, I check up on the egg or hatchling and 5 minutes later it's been killed. It doesn't particularly make sense to me, but it happens. I'm more an abandon person myself, if I don't like it, I chuck it back onto the pile, because I'm sure somewhere out there someone will want it.

Terriah Is right there are a lot of people out there that would take the egg or hathie in a heart beat. I know my first dragon hatchie wasnt one i hatchied my self it was one i picked up off the ap page. I still have that dragon. There is a lot of time where i will see a good egg on the Ap page and it is being passed around like no one wants it, I take a look at its lineage and if its a little inbreed i will take it and raise it.

So just killing eggs and hatchies is your Decision. But Stop and think there may be some new person looking thro the ap and wanting something, and that egg that you dont want or the hatchie that didnt alt like you wanted could be someones first dragon.

The killing topic is discussed here and there; it pops up every month or so.

I recall TJ stated that killing a dragon doesn't mean a new cb dragon will appear instantly. Killing has nothing to do with ratios, at least in the way the ratios work now. It wouldn't help anything. Not that I hate the idea, it's just useless and pointless.

The only real benefit of killing at this moment is making zombies on Helloween.

I never got the zombies thing: Do they stay on your scroll? Or, after two weeks, go away?

Killing is even more redundant now that the releasing thing is an option.

I recall TJ stated that killing a dragon doesn't mean a new cb dragon will appear instantly. Killing has nothing to do with ratios, at least in the way the ratios work now. It wouldn't help anything. Not that I hate the idea, it's just useless and pointless.

This.

I'm not averse to killing dragons, but doing it for the ratios doesn't make any sense. It won't cause a CB to appear. And once it's dead it's out of the system and it will be like it never even existed. So IMO freezing and releasing is the best way to go, since it's still alive and unable to breed.

Killing dragons for zombies is a totally different story. Zombies are made of win.

Edited by ThatDeadGirl

Oh, well if killing doesn't affect ratios then that kind of makes my thread moot. I thought it did affect ratios, which I learned from the threads about catching commons and freezing them instead of killing them to help with ratios. So does that then mean that killing Balloons doesn't make any new Balloons?

Oh, well if killing doesn't affect ratios then that kind of makes my thread moot. I thought it did affect ratios, which I learned from the threads about catching commons and freezing them instead of killing them to help with ratios. So does that then mean that killing Balloons doesn't make any new Balloons?

I think part of it depends on how 'inflated' the ratio of that certain breed is. If you killed a gold, silver, black, white, pink, and others in that category, it would hardly put a dent in the ratios.

Think of it this way: One dragon is just a tiny percentage of all of that breed of dragons on DC. Killing one or two out of 20,000 (there's probably way more than that of some breeds) will not push the ratios to make a new one in the cave any more than they're already being made, especially when you consider the breeding factor.

I know everybody hates the idea of killing an egg, hatchling, or dragon. It seems low and despicable, right? But what if it can help?

Take for example: the state of blacks. Everybody loves breeding them, and CB's are really rare. So imagine if you get a black egg... and find out it's inbred. Or if you really want an alt, and then it hatches into a regular hatchling. If you then killed that dragon, that's one more successful breeding for someone else or an egg on the main page.

I think the main problem with it is that people don't like the idea of killing dragons. But really, aren't they just pixels?

'-_- the reason that people dont kill dragons is because that it takes up space for a nother couple hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think the kill option is redundant. I have killed dragons because I don't want them to show up in the progeny pages or to purposely cut off a lineage. Otherwise I would just freeze or abandon for someone else to catch.

I don't think the kill option is redundant. I have killed dragons because I don't want them to show up in the progeny pages or to purposely cut off a lineage. Otherwise I would just freeze or abandon for someone else to catch.

This, although I've never killed a dragon on purpose yet.

To answer the overall question of whether killing can be a good thing, it can, in the case of zombies. You HAVE to kill a dragon to get a zombie.

But killing a dragon can be good if it's terribly inbred or something akin to that; it cuts off a lineage and keeps inbreeding from continuing. (Biting can also be done to prevent inbreeding in a line.)

The downside to killing is that it makes a tombstone on your scroll for two weeks, and in the case of eggs and hatchies, takes up a slot for 24 hours.

This also.

I don't see any purpose these days in killing eggs or hatchies.

But for pedigree projects, I lurve my tombstones.

And zee Zombies.

Well, here's part of my opinion.

Inbreeding is not wanted right? So, if you kill or bite an inbred egg it can't grow up to have more little inbred eggs and fill up the AP with lots of inbred, unwanted babies, that'll have MORE inbred babies and make matters even worse. So, one inbred dragon killed = at least 10 inbreds prevented, in my opinion.

Hence, Killing is good when you pick your draconic victims carefully.

Ratios are irrelevant, because they shift so often. They'll stay like this, and then they'll change in an instant towards the other direction. It really all depends on TJ's digestion, how many reds people are keeping, and the position of Jupiter.

Edited by Pink

I thought the only reason for killing was to get the zombies o:

other than that, i dont see why someone would want to xd.png

it's just space you could use for another egg/hatchling =/

It's not even really space for another egg/hatchie, because it takes up a spot on your scroll for 24 hours. Freezing would be a much better option and also solves the problem of an inbred dragon possibly creating more inbred dragons.

It can help with ratios, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

The only things really are cleaning a lineage by killing an adult, or making zombies on halloween.

They are indeed pixels and not puppies and kittens so I think guilt is uncalled for, anymore then "biting" with my vamps with always the risk of a "kill", or working to achieve a neglected or a zombie. It isn't low or despicable in doing so but many players don't feel comfortable in using the kill button. I'm not sure it brings down the count significantly on a certain breed, but if it did, and players worked as a group to voluntarily "kill" off inbred (if that is their choice mind you) dragons on their scroll then maybe, just maybe we'd see more cb blacks, vines etc. I'm not saying that we'd have enough players but I know I'd be willing to do so although I have released most of my inbreds much earlier (when I discovered as a newbie that most of what I had was long lineaged and inbred) when I cleaned off my scroll of any that were terribly inbred (with the exception of pinks and reds due to their bsa's).

Edited by Misha

It's masha! Remember me Mori hime I'm from Fairfax colligeate, can You name a hatchling aftter me. PLEeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Edited by catdragon9

I never got the zombies thing: Do they stay on your scroll? Or, after two weeks, go away?

You kill an adult or a hatchling right before halloween. On halloween night you attempt to revive the dead dragon (Halloween has the best success out of the entire year). If the "revive" magic works, you get a zombie. The zombie stays on your scroll FOREVER.

The tombstone of the zombie stays on your scroll for the same 2 week period that any dead thing does and then vanishes. Every night between midnight and 6am Eastern US time, the zombie "wakes up" and is visible on your scroll. On the months of the year with 31 days, the Tombstone puts in an appearance during the daylight hours, however on Halloween the zombies are awake/visible all day rather than just their sleeping tombstone.

Zombies sometimes have a bad habit of appearing to 'move' around on your scroll depending on how your scroll is sorted when using the custom settings. If you have your scroll set to sort by breed, then the zombie will always sort to the original breed it was before it became a zombie. To sort the zombie it has to be awake.

It's a good idea to save a direct link to your zombie's page so you can have easy access to the 'actions' stuff since you won't see it on your scroll except at those certain times. As long as you have the code or direct link, then you can view it's page with the tombstone on it at any time.

As I see it killing doesn't bother me but is rather pointless unless you're going for a zombie or trying to force a neglected since you only have five kills available; less if you're lucky enough to already have a zombie or two. Those few eggs or hatchlings that are killed are pointless to the ratios and I really think they are pointless in reducing the number of inbreds because there is always someone else out there breeding another inbred to fill the void.

At least players have more freezes to work with so while I still believe the over all effect is a kin to one grain of sand in the ocean, it makes more sense to freeze and release. Wilderness dragons, at this time, don't count towards the ratios so in theory the cave will make more to replace those released, be they cave born or bred. Added benefit...you're not locked with a dead egg or hatchie for a day.

Handy when I want to clean up a lineage or remove a child. I've never had a problem with it existing, don't use it much myself, and don't have problems with other people killing. I've had no zombie luck yet - this coming Halloween, perhaps - and generally dislike the forced-kill gamble 'cause I know my luck sucks.

I am 100% against killing (except for zombie/vampire/neglected attempts) and always say abandon don't kill, your taking a dragons live (whether u think it's just a pixel or not) and your ruining someone else's chance of finding that dragon.

DON'T KILL DRAGONS!

Edited by arya10

Killing inbreds is always a good thing. Though because of the limited number of kill slots, I usually end up freezing and releasing.

Handy when I want to clean up a lineage or remove a child. I've never had a problem with it existing, don't use it much myself, and don't have problems with other people killing. I've had no zombie luck yet - this coming Halloween, perhaps - and generally dislike the forced-kill gamble 'cause I know my luck sucks.

This^^

I do have two zombies though, from three attemps last year. I wont try that again b/c I have only three kill-slots left forever!

I have killed a few dragons with a bit messy lineages, BUT none of them was inbred. Every inbred egg I've picked up from AP went right back there.. or bitten by a vampire! tongue.gif

This little girl http://dragcave.net/lineage/ttpl has dead parents as you can see on the picture below with full linage:

user posted image

Click on the pic to see it bigger, sorry it's blurry!

Here is another beauty I bred and traded for a Tinsel (IOU).. and yes, I killed her grandparents who had messy linages whithout inbreeding! http://dragcave.net/lineage/2ZEbo

Aren't they beautiful? smile.gif