BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 119

Book Title: The Sarah Jane Adventures - Invasion of the Bane

Author: Terrance Dicks

C'mon people... write reviews... give others an idea of whether it's a book that might interest them! biggrin.gif

I needed a break from puns so I went reading these - I'd meant to read the rest of Brian's books (Gary Paulsen wrote 'em) so I ended up reading 'em all finally.

Book Number: 25th

Number Of Pages: 435

Book Title: Rain

Author: V.C. Andrews

Rating: 4.5/5

Review: Very simple plot, yet full of surprises.

Book Number: 26th

Number Of Pages: 144

Book Title: The River (re-read)

Author: Gary Paulsen

Rating: 5/5

Review: Positively enthralling! I love books like this one.

Book Number: 27th

Book Title: Brian's Winter

Review: Wow, amazingly well done for an alternative ending book. Every detail came so burstingly alive in my mind, it was as if I was Brian.

Book Number: 28th

Book Title: Brian's Return

Review: Too fascinating to put down, I had to just get all five books of Brian's Saga - take a break from reading Xanth books for a while. Perfect choice of reading material for a break. I think I like this one the most along with Hatchet.

Book Number: 29th

Number Of Pages: 112

Book Title: Brian's Hunt

Review: This may be the shortest story in the saga, but even so, Gary packs a wallop with his words. Each word designed to convey a compelling picture. The books may be targeted at the younger readers, but they are great easy reads for adults as well.

I am 6 months late but I would like to join.

Dragoon1234 aka Dragoon is ready to read until his eyes bleed because of a need for speed to read. ((Sorry. It's early and I'm tired.))

Book Number: 132

Number Of Pages: 421

Book Title: Mystic and Rider

Author: Sharon Shinn

Review: I did end up finishing this. I did not like the whole, "I'm a man soldier and I hate magic but I can't help falling for this female mage" stuff. *sigh* I am not buying/reading books 2-4.

Book Number: 133

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Side Jobs

Author: Jim Butcher

Review: I took a break half way through, was tired of Harry saving the day in every single story, even if that is what he does. Finished it two nights ago.

EDIT: I am missing a book I know I read. I'll have to search by my bed and find it.

Edited by Kanaye

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 535

Book Title: The Accidental Sorcerer

Author: K.E. Mills

Review: My goodness, was this an adventure! Wizards and geniuses and DRAGONS! Took me awhile to figure out just how cracked [a certain character] actually was, and I didn't see that [another character] was just wearing a clever mask until near the end! (I'm quite good at guessing plot twists, you know.) Favorite character = Monk Markham. Can I have one, please? wink.gif

Fanfic follows. :'D Thanks for answering my question!

(for next updater: 42&43 are in that tiny text under the fanfic question)

Number | 44

Title | A Deeper Season

Author | lightgetsin and sahiya

Word count | 117605

Link | here

Number | 45

Title | What Passing Bells

Author | lightgetsin and sahiya

Word count | 106529

Link | here

Number | 46

Title | Aral Vorkosigan's Dog

Author | Philomytha

Word count | 76354

Link | here

Number | 47

Title | Other Ways

Author | sahiya

Word count | 52133

Link | here

Review | Lois McMaster Bujold writes such an unmatchable mix of heartwarming, understated humor, and audacious gambits that, unable to reread her works yet another time, I have resorted to reading fanfic in her universe instead. so 44, 45, and 47 are AU.. but what the hell, they make so much sense with canon These fanfics aren't quite the same style and occasionally bog down in melodrama, but they're still squee and I love them for the same reasons I love the canon.

I don't do this squee! thing for other authors, I swear ;_; Usually moody mindf[...] is more my style, but she's that amazing

If anyone else enjoys the Vorkosigan series and has recommendations, please let me know!

(Preferably published novels by other authors with a similar voice. I must have read most of the existing fanfic by now, and am only numbering off the longest pieces.)

Edited by kadoatie

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 291

Book Title: Wolfsbane

Author: Patricia Briggs

Book Number:33

Number of Pages:588

Book Title:FablehavenKey to the Demon Prison

Author: Brandon Mull

Edited by evangeline5432

Book Number: 134

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Enchantment (Audio)

Author: Orson Scott Card

Review: I enjoyed listening to this. There is a huge language barrier in the story and if I would have read it, I would probably have given up. Language and I do not get along.

These below were 3 books and 1, and I read them all last night.

Book Number: 135

Number Of Pages: 266

Book Title: A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak #1)

Author: Darren Shan

Review: Way too many exclamation points, most of them unnecessary and annoying. (And then I kicked the ball so fast it went into the goal!) And there were quite a few contradictions between the books. Aw well.

Book Number: 136

Number Of Pages:

Book Title: The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque du Freak # 2)

Review: I like this one the best of the three. Evra is my favorite character and his snake is amusing. "She sleepcrawls." I didn't really like the ending to this, but then again, it wasn't supposed to be happy. Thing was he never mentioned that he drank human blood from his friend's injured knee in book 1.

Book Number: 137

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Tunnels of Blood (Cirque Du Freak #3)

Review: Didn't like this one as much as the others, though its prolly cause Evra got tortured.

I think I will continue reading the series, now that I've gotten it to it.

Updated to Here.

Dragoon1234, NuparuMahnika, you both have been added.

Edited by BookChallenge

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 480

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (reread)

Author: Joanne Rowling

Book Number: 59

Number Of Pages: 528

Book Title: Labyrinth

Author: Kate Mosse

Book Number: 60

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: Mr. Monk on the Road

Author: Lee Goldberg

Rating: wub.gif

Edited by Sister of the Dragon

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 371

Book Title: The Countess

Author: Lynsay Sands

Review: I love her vampire series, so I was really hesitant about reading this one (which is a historical romance, no vampires) and I wasn’t sure if she could write these books as well as she does the vampire series. So when I read it, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it!

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 371

Book Title: Vampires are Forever

**Re-read

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 370

Book Title: Vampire, Interrupted

**Re-read

Edited by Shalarean

Book Number: 37

Number Of Pages: 259

Book Title: The Children of Húrin

Author: J. R. R. Tolkien

Review: It was interesting to know that Tolkien conceived the idea for this story long before the publication of The Hobbit. The story itself is quite engaging, although somewhat depressing to read, knowing that already in the beginning it's made clear that it is going to be a tragedy about an inevitable doom, so it is quite bleak for the most part, but well-written. Then again, I knew the shorter version from The Silmarillion already, so I was somewhat prepared.

Edited by lightbird

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 309 (officially) there's extra stuff in the back,like lost chapters and such, which brings the grand total up to 334

Book Title: Fang; A Maximum Ride Novel

Author: James Patterson

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 358

Book Title: Born to Bite

**Re-read

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 356

Book Title: Bite Me if You Can

**Re-read

Book Number: 21

Number Of Pages: 248

Book Title: Life Among the Piutes

Author: Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins

Rating: 2.5/5

Review: It's sort of... Well. Hm. She was a very important person, and many parts of the book are very compelling. They're also painful -- while she doesn't focus too much on specific instances of starving children or young men wrongfully executed for crimes they didn't commit, there was quite a bit of suffering in her life and the lives of her people. I think perhaps some things she glossed over because they were too painful. When you read a book about the oppression of any group of people, you don't expect bunnies and rainbows, so that alone wouldn't make me mark it down, but I'm not entirely certain she's a reliable narrator about some things. Her style also sort of wanders around, jumping about chronologically, referring to people once and then returning to them fifty pages later and expecting you to remember, etc. I didn't really enjoy reading it, but it was a very important book (she was the first Native American woman to secure a copyright and publish anything in English).

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 411

Book Title: The Lost Army

Author: Valerio Massimo Manfredi

@Kanaye: Did you enjoy Enchantment? I purchased the book recently but have not read it yet.

@lightbird: I was wondering what exactly The Children of Hurin covered. Nice to know. Thanks for the review.

Book Number: 76

Number Of Pages: 432 pgs

Book Title: The Secret Wedding

Author: Jo Beverley

Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 77

Number Of Pages: 320 pgs

Book Title: The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie

Author: Jennifer Ashley

Rating: 4/5

Review: I borrowed this book from the library because it is so hard to find a copy, used or new. By page 3, I knew I wanted my own copy. By page 25, I had found a few lines and passages that touched my heart. In this book, the hero has Asperger's and the author seemed to have really made an effort to make him sound like it. I found it really fascinating reading his point of view. I really liked it, and will be reading the other books in this series.

Book Number: 78

Number Of Pages: 656 pgs

Book Title: Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages #1)

Author: Elizabeth Haydon

Rating: 2/5

Review: Goodreads Review

Book Number: 79

Number Of Pages: 279 pgs

Book Title: The Sea of Monsters

Author: Rick Riordan

Book Number: 80

Number Of Pages: 279 pgs

Book Title: Colters' Daughter

Author: Maya Banks

Book Number: 81

Number Of Pages: 304 pgs

Book Title: The Titan's Curse

Review: This is the third book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. It started off on the wrong foot, and failed to end on the right foot - or at least a comfortable foot. I found this book to be the worst of the three books I'd read in this series so far. I thought the writing unsophisticated and the dialogue pretty poor. The plot seemed contrived and unnatural. There were a couple of scenes that had me go, "Why the heck is that character reacting like that?" It just didn't make sense to me. Despite it all, I still like the idea behind this series, I would like to know how the overall series ends, and I do enjoy the humor; hence, the extra star.

Mr. D remained an interesting character. There is nothing else I would care to comment about regarding the other characters except to note what a relief it is to see ancient Greek gods and goddesses in the modern world actually looking and sounding like distinct characters with somewhat individual personalities. I wish I could say the same for the ancient gods and goddesses in Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter paranormal romance series. I'm so sick of biker gods and goddesses who all dress and speak the same.

Book Number: 82

Number Of Pages: 320 pgs

Book Title: Sir Percy Leads the Band [e-book]

Author: Baroness Orczy

Review: I have to say that this is my second favorite book in the Scarlet Pimpernel series that I have read so far (The Scarlet Pimpernel, The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel, I Will Repay). It was exciting with a number of adventures and rescues.

I really enjoyed seeing more interaction between The Scarlet Pimpernel and his merry men. I wish that the author would show the other men in the League. There are 19 of them who "would lay down [their] lives" for their leader, and yet we only meet about 5-6. In this book, I did meet a few new ones, which I was happy about. I enjoyed picking up clues about what the Scarlet Pimpernel is like in France. Unlike I Will Repay (I believe that is the right one) he does not have a detectable foreign accent although his comrades do, but apparently he does speak French with a precision that may have aroused suspicion had the author not emphasized that the others were too stupid to suspect anything. Speaking of comrades, this is the second book which has a traitor in the League. I had wondered how does someone who apparently was a good judge of character pick comrades who were weak and might betray them. Fortunately, the author does answer it to my satisfaction (somewhat) later in the story. I did like how that was resolved although I wondered what the traitor's reception was like from those in the League who knew about it back in English Society. With this particular storyline, we are shown more clearly what kind of man Sir Percy Blakeney is, and I cannot help envy Marguerite Blakeney for her luck in capturing the passionate love of such a man.

This was quite a fun adventure, and before I start rhapsodizing about Sir Percy Blakeney's many fine qualities, I will end this review and look forward to seeing The Scarlet Pimpernel in action in The Elusive Pimpernel.

Book Number: 83

Number Of Pages: 361 pgs

Book Title: The Battle of the Labyrinth

Rating: 3/5

Review: Liked better than The Titan's Curse for some reason. Must have been in a better mood or something.

Edited by Maladroit

Yes, I did, Maladroit. Very much in fact. Though I listened to it, didn't read it. I am terrible at languages and in the book are a bunch of different ones. If I had had to read it, I am sad to say, I would probaly not have stuck with it. I am extremely glad I got to listen to it.

Book Number: 138

Number Of Pages: 288

Book Title: Too Close to Touch

Author: Georgia Beers

Review: It was ok. Not bad. An enjoyable read. Dunno if it's worth a reread though.

Book Number: 139

Number Of Pages: 672

Book Title: Pathfinder

Author: Orson Scott Card

Review: Ok, I am not a fan of science fiction (even though I love Ender's Game) but this book was 7/8th Fantasy and 1/8th science fiction. I quite enjoyed the time hopping and everyone's paths. I do hope there is going to be a book 2, cause were he ended... it was like "The other ship is gunna come and might blow the planet up." I'm like... thats it? That's the end?

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 230

Book Title: The Youngest Templar Knights: Trail of Fate

Author: Micheal P. Spradlin

The updater should do a top ten readers list tongue.gif

That would be kinda fun!

Edited by evangeline5432

Back to the Xanth novels. Although, I'll be taking a break, read some other stuff for a while. One can only take so many puns...

Book Number: 30th (re-read)

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: Harpy Thyme

Author: Piers Anthony

Review: See previous reviews

Book Number: 31st (re-read)

Number Of Pages: 390

Book Title: Geis of the Gargoyle

Review: See previous reviews ** can be a little slow in the beginning, but it really livens up later on - I would have to say this is one awesome book - but you'd really have to use your imagination for this one - it's amazing.

Book Number: 32nd (re-read)

Book Title: Roc and a Hard Place

Review: See previous reviews

Book Number: 33rd (re-read)

Book Title: Yon Ill Wind

Review: See previous reviews ** this one had me cracking up. biggrin.gif

Book Number: 34th (re-read)

Number Of Pages: 340

Book Title: Faun & Games

Review: See previous reviews ** I like this one because it made me think about social rules/mannerisms - what's accepted and what's not. Stuff like that.