BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge

(I don't know how I should translate these two into English, since both of them have names in their title which I cannot translate, so sorry for that)

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 174

Book Title: Pantaurernas halvö

Author: Teo Troy

I really feel like I should say that this one is one of the best books in the series, heh, Kira and Stigfinn is so cute together, hehe. (:

(I can at least say that "halvö" is the Swedish word for peninsula)

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 156

Book Title: I Fördärvets våld

Author: Teo Troy

(and with this one I can say that "Fördervet" is the evil thing (monsters and shadows I suppose that I can say for now) in this series, and I've a feeling that the title is "I Fördärvets våld" due to that one of the evil shadows takes control over the body of Kim and Kira's mother)

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 190

Book Title: The Pull of the Ocean

Author: Jean-Claude Mourlevat

I had to hold myself back and not read this all at the library today.. Really good read.

Book Number: 25

Number of pages: 864 pgs

Book Title: Towers of Midnight [hardcover]

Author: Brandon Sanderson / Robert Jordan

Rating: 3/5

Review: I could clearly hear Sanderson's voice; the change of writing style was noticeably different. There were positive points for Sanderson's writing in Jordan's world, but I really missed Jordan's voice.

Some of the characters seemed slightly changed, personality-wise. Mat, in particular, was one I felt at one point was Jordan's writing, and then at other points was Sanderson's writing. Since I catch subtleties only when I trip over them, I felt that this change was probably rather distinguishable.

I felt that Sanderson either avoided or did not bother with the different dialects of the different countries where the characters may have come from. For example, you heard (read) less Illianer/Taraboner/whatever accents. He'll write that so and so had an accent from some place or another. While this allowed him to avoid stumbling over the odd accent or speaking style or two, it also seemed to take away the diversity of the world. The reader could no longer see for her/himself how distinct each nation was. Although, for the reader who grew frustrated at said (Illianer) accents, this was a boon for them.

There was frequent change of POV which was both good and bad. On the good side, if it was of a character you didn't like, you weren't subjected to it for chapters at a time. I find Perrin boring so when I was subjected to long, Jordan-style Perrin chapters, I wanted to cry. On the other hand, due to the differing timelines of the different characters, it was a bit confusing. One example is that of Tam al'Thor. I won't go into it any further but those who have read the previous book might understand.

Sanderson also made more of an effort to reveal what the characters were thinking, and have them think more musingly about things that I did not recall them thinking when Jordan wrote. On the one hand, things are clearer for the reader to follow. On the other hand, characters didn't sound like they did of old, and it seemed to change how a reader might view them (such as this one).

While I enjoyed this book (being a WoT somewhat fan for over a decade and impatient to read the end) and normally do enjoy Sanderson's work (the two I've read from him I did enjoy - and mean to read more), the tiny differences I noticed (whether real or imagined) did keep throwing me out of the story so I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. However, there were bits of humorous lines that made me smile and laugh so I was able to brush off my little vexations to dive back into the book. I can't wait for the last one although now I fear for the future of that world (see Aviendha's 2nd passage through the columns to become a Wise One).

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 250

Book Title: The Cat Who Could Read Backwards

Author: Lilian Jackson Braun

Review: A reread ^^ I absolutely loved this series when I was younger and couldn't resist rereading them. This is the first book in the series, in which you are introduced to Koko, the amazing Siamese cat, and Qwilleran, a newspaperman. It's a murder mystery based in the art world with a completely unforeseen ending XD

Edit: murder of the smiley >.<

Edited by Shadow Lor

Book Number: 84

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: Night Road

Author: A. M. Jenkins

Rating: 6/10

Review: Really fast read. Didn't really like it. It wasn't bad, it just made it seem like the main character was gay, noticing the new guys hair and stuff, and then he wasn't and he "killed" the girl he had been in love with and... yeah. And then he got staked and found heaven but couldn't go into heaven. Bleh. So, yeah, didn't really like it.

Book Number: 84

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: Night Road

Author: A. M. Jenkins

Rating: 6/10

Review: Really fast read. Didn't really like it. It wasn't bad, it just made it seem like the main character was gay, noticing the new guys hair and stuff, and then he wasn't and he "killed" the girl he had been in love with and... yeah. And then he got staked and found heaven but couldn't go into heaven. Bleh. So, yeah, didn't really like it.

lol. Your review made me laugh.

Book Number: 26

Number of pages: 368 pgs

Book Title: Surrender to a Wicked Spy (The Royal Four, Book 2)

Author: Celeste Bradley

Rating: 3/5

Review: erm, posted one up on Goodreads but considering the genre this book is in, I thought it circumspect to not cross-post it. It was funny though.

lol. Your review made me laugh.

*bows* Glad to be of service. I'm surprised anyone's reading the reviews, though it makes me happy I'm not writing them for no reason.

~*~

Book Number: 85

Number Of Pages: 246

Book Title: Passion's Bright Fury

Author: Radclyffe

Review: I liked this. Even if it was a bit graphic. Like them carrying a severed leg into the ER in a plastic bag. And peeling off the burnt flesh of a burn victim. I manged not to get ill reading it though, and that's good.

And another:

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: The Stolen Child

Author:  Keith Donohue

Rating: 4

Review: A page turner...

And more:

Number Of Pages: 433

Book Title: Dracula

Author: Bram Stoker

Review: Not anything like the movies... quite different and written in very old English... good thing it had an index in the back to translate some of the old vernacular. Really liked this one smile.gif

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 156

Book Title: Earthborne/The Gifts of Asti

Author: Andre Norton

Review: Two very interesting novelettes... very obscure writings by Norton, but just as good as her regular books

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 192

Book Title: Dark Guardian

Author: Christine Feehan

Review: Love this series...

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 404

Book Title: Danse Macabre

Author: Laurell Hamilton

Rating: 5

Review: Anita Blake is one "empowered woman" smile.gif

Tally going up:

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 205

Book Title: Listening Woman

Author: Tony Hillerman

Review: Good mystery...many twist and turns.

censorkip.gif it, how do you guys "run out" of books? I have a to-be-read list over 150 long.. :'P

Haven't had much time to read long works lately with college applications looming at me.

Book number | 19

Number of pages | 640

Title | Surface Detail

Author | Iain M. Banks

Book number | 20

Number of pages | 672

Title | The Final Empire (Mistborn 1)

Author | Brandon Sanderson

Book number | 21

Number of pages | 816

Title | The Well of Ascension (Mistborn 2)

Book number | 22

Number of pages | 784

Title | The Hero of Ages (Mistborn 3)

Book number | 23

Number of pages | 448

Title | Logorrhea: Good Words Make Good Stories

Author | anthology, edited by John Klima

(page counts from Amazon)

Book Number: 22

Number Of Pages: 140

Book Title: The Kretuzer Sonata (and Other Short Stories)

Author: Leo Tolstoy

Book Number: 3

Number of Pages: 182

Book Title: Nerilka's Story

Author: Anne McCaffrey

I like all the Pern books, so finding one that I hadn't read yet was awesome.

Hiya, guys, I'm looking forward to this challenge.

Book Number: 1 (a re-read, many times over)

Number Of Pages: 181

Book Title: The Gypsy Enchantment (Charmed series)

Author: Constance M. Burge

Rating: 5 outta 5

Review: Light-hearted, perfect for relaxing with. I'm in my mid-30's and I find reading teen fiction books perfect for relaxing. The author combines select facts with fiction to create realistic stories, which is something that I enjoy. Her writing style is simple yet rich with descriptions. Fires up the imagination, for sure. I also enjoy the Charmed books because they flesh out the characters from the tv show much more deeply which in turn makes the tv show more engaging, actually.

Book Number: 86

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Intrigues: Book Two of the Collegium Chronicles ~R~

Author: Mercedes Lackey

Review: I've read Book 1 more times than I can count, but this is only my second time reading this one. This just came out in October and I want her to WRITE FASTER so I can have book 3.

I just finished going through the entire thread looking for books or authors that I might like.

During my reading of the many different books that you all have read - some were spoilt for me because there wasn't a warning in the review that it was a spoiler. Please please indicate that you're writing a spoiler review, make the font white or really tiny font so that others who haven't read that book ever, can enjoy the book without any preconceived ideas. Just my opinion. smile.gif

You all look like you're doing well on the challenge. I've only just started reading again - I was in another type of challenge elsewhere, just finished it so now I've got tons of free time again.

I see there's at least one Star Trek fan. biggrin.gif I adore Star Trek books!

Here's my second book that I just finished this morning, forgot I had already finished it.

Yep, another Charmed book, lol.

Book Number: 2 (a re-read)

Number Of Pages: 227

Book Title: Survival of the Fittest

Author: Constance M. Burge

Rating: 5/5

Review: The title pulled me into the book - the first time I read this one, I was thinking, "I know what the plot's gonna be" but as soon as I read the first few pages, I was thrown for a loop. The fact that it actually surprised me makes it a very well written book. Since the books are aimed towards young adults, the writing is much more simpler, however, I find the young adults books to be far more entertaining because the writing pulls you into the story, fires up your imagination. Definitely a book not to miss!

Phew, had a few days off and got some reading done! I've been working on this for a while (took me so long due to school) so felt good to finally finish it!

Number Of Pages: 315

Book Title: Bone Dance

Author: Emma Bull

Review: I loved it! One of the best sci-fi books I've read in a while. Actually, one of the best books I've read in a while, period. Anything else I could say about it wouldn't do it justice, but I highly recommend it if you're at all interested in dystopian-style science fiction.

*bows* Glad to be of service. I'm surprised anyone's reading the reviews, though it makes me happy I'm not writing them for no reason.

Yes, I know. I skim most reviews, and read the really short ones. lol. I don't expect people to read them myself. I usually write them for myself, partially as reference, and partially to rant or sort out my thoughts after I read a book.

Did you like Intrigues then? I found myself really disappointed by it. I will, however, go ahead and read the third book when it comes out. I really like the Valdemar world.

@kadaotie: Who says he/she ran out of books? *looks at mountain of books that need to be read* Probably someone who is more picky about what he/she reads. laugh.gif

How was the Mistborn trilogy? I read the first book a few years ago. I mean to reread it, and then follow up with the next two but I keep putting it off. Have you read Elantris or Warbreaker?

Book Number: 27

Number of pages: 272 pgs [paperback]

Book Title: The Hell You Say [e-book; reread]

Author: Josh Lanyon

Book Number 28

Number of pages: 352 pgs [paperback]

Book Title: Not Quite a Husband [e-book]

Author: Sherry Thomas

Rating: 4/5

Review: It was surprisingly good. I really liked it. It was about a divorced couple learning to forgive and to trust each other again. I was able to identify with the heroine, which helped to draw me into the story.

Edited by Maladroit

I consider myself a very picky reader :'P Probably we have larger pools of books to draw from- more available stuff to access?

As to the ranting/sorting out, I do that too! I have a file on computer labeled "read list"-- that's where the first impressions go, so I can articulate what I thought without having to defend it or worry about making sense to other people.

Mistborn is the first of Sanderson's series/books I've read. The second and third are somewhat slower and more philosophical and deconstruction-y than the first, although they're still plot-driven. Lots of character development that isn't people being abused. It's awesome how much shows up again in the sequels (Chekhov's guns <3), and I also liked the fleshing out of the magical systems, including a new system.

I think if you liked The Final Empire you'd like the other two. My main issues with #1 was were writing style and lack of character flaws; the first doesn't change and the second improves.

Edited by kadoatie

Did you like Intrigues then? I found myself really disappointed by it. I will, however, go ahead and read the third book when it comes out. I really like the Valdemar world.

Um, I liked the first one better but the second one made me cry. I like books that make me react. Yes, I love the Valdemar world as well, I think my fav is "Take A Thief".

Book Number: 87

Number Of Pages: 256

Book Title: Beautiful Monster ~R~

Author: Joely Skye

Review: Second time reading this, and I found it was less confusing the second time. Like it better when I'm not confused.

Book Number: 23

Number Of Pages: 345

Book Title: Fate of the Jedi: Allies

Author: Christie Golden

I think I'm falling behind on my milestone plan. ;__;

Anyway.

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 421

Book Title: The Silence of the Lambs

Author: Thomas Harris

Rating: 4.5/5

Book Number: 37

Number Of Pages: 259

Book Title: The Ersatz Elevator

Author: Lemony Snicket

Book Number: 38

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Woman's Murder Club: 1st To Die

Author: James Patterson

Review: Fantastic, picked it up because I loved the video games based on the women in this series. A really good thriller.

Number Of Pages: 475

Book Title: The Very Best of Fantasy and Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Edition

Editor: Gordon Van Gelder

Review: It's kind of a prerequisite for any sci-fi/fantasy fan to have at least one of these anthologies, if not a subscription to the magazine itself. This version includes several classics (e.g. "Flowers for Algernon") and some newer stories, such as "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" (2007). And it has a Gaiman story! biggrin.gif My favorite, by far, was "The Deathbird" by Harlan Ellison. WOW!!!

Edit for getting the name of the magazine/book wrong. Fail!

Edited by Danne

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 358

Book Title: Ranger's Apprentice The Kings of Clonmel

Author: John Flanagan

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 198

Book Title: The Seventh Tower The Fall

Author: Garth Nix