wondersueak

Racism

I think it's time that everyone realises that the colour of your skin has nothing to do with anything.  biggrin.gif

Judging from how many people artificially spray tan their skin or bake in the sun until their color is melanoma, I think skin color is still very much a priority for some societies =/

It just seems that way. Like I can't tell you how many black people on Call of Duty have made the fact that I or someone else in the lobby is white an issue. And just personal experience, but black people have made race an issue more than any other group of people in my area (most of my experience has been throughout 4 years of high school though).

O_o maybe that's because systematically they are still the ones experiencing harsher forms of racism, so they make it an issue. Women often rally against sexual discrimination because they are the ones having harsher experiences systematically but that doesn't mean they necessarily discriminate guys. I understand why one might feel attacked if someone else points out that your race is systematically more privileged than others but that does not mean that they call for say, the obliteration of your race or it's an attack made personally towards you.

And I would say that systematically Caucasians have a lot more privilege than others. A good example is the film industry where "racebending" or changeing a character's race and putting another race in there occurs. Not to mention that minorities often get very small or stereotyped roles.

Edited by ylangylang

O_o maybe that's because systematically they are still the ones experiencing harsher forms of racism, so they make it an issue. Women often rally against sexual discrimination because they are the ones having harsher experiences systematically but that doesn't mean they necessarily discriminate guys. I understand why one might feel attacked if someone else points out that your race is systematically more privileged than others but that does not mean that they call for say, the obliteration of your race or it's an attack made personally towards you.

Like I said, nobody was making race an issue but them. For example: On Call of Duty, and this black guy was talking crap about people, so I said he really didn't know anything about the people playing, so he couldn't really judge, then out of nowhere he says "I bet you white, ain't you?". Ummm, so? That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Edit: I also said Black History Monthd drew unecessary attention to race, and people called me racist.

Edited by Crisis

Like I said, nobody was making race an issue but them. For example: On Call of Duty, and this black guy was talking crap about people, so I said he really didn't know anything about the people playing, so he couldn't really judge, then out of nowhere he says "I bet you white, ain't you?". Ummm, so? That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Edit: I also said Black History Monthd drew unecessary attention to race, and people called me racist.

I was specifically talking about the latter part, where you said that

And just personal experience, but black people have made race an issue more than any other group of people in my area

Anyways, yeah people can be individually prejudiced against other races, and I'm sorry you had bad experiences, but to say this-

But is it just me or do most racially discriminating acts usually seem to be against white people?

Sorry Crisis, but on a general, big scale, whites are more privileged than other races. I mean, you guys are the default race on every single media, and you guys don't even have a racial slur. When you enter into a field of sports that has been traditionally dominated by other races you don't face the media talking crap about you. You don't get people trying to hook up to you by exoticizing your race and constsntly askong you where you are from.

On the black history month issue I've got nothing to say because I'm not in a cpuntry where that's taught.

I was specifically talking about the latter part, where you said that

Sorry Crisis, but on a general, big scale, whites are more privileged than other races. I mean, you guys are the default race on every single media, and you guys don't even have a racial slur. When you enter into a field of sports that has been traditionally dominated by other races you don't face the media talking crap about you. You don't get people trying to hook up to you by exoticizing your race and constsntly askong you where you are from.

My point is that race was totally irrelevant, and had no reason to be mentioned, but it was mentioned anyways.

Sorry Crisis, but on a general, big scale, whites are more privileged than other races. I mean, you guys are the default race on every single media, and you guys don't even have a racial slur. .

Gringo, cracker, whitey. Some are really uncreative, but they're still used in a racially dereogatory way anyways.

When you enter into a field of sports that has been traditionally dominated by other races you don't face the media talking crap about you

Just in politics, right?

You don't get people trying to hook up to you by exoticizing your race and constsntly askong you where you are from

What?

and you guys don't even have a racial slur

Well, technically we have wonderbread and cracker, but I find these foods delicious and couldn't be insulted over this. om nom nom

I definitely agree with you though. Look at the opportunities for whites vs. other races. Look around in your classes - how many whites are there and how many other are there? Look at jobs you see on TV - how many white vs. other actors, newscasters, politicians, etc. Look at the rates at which we prosecute people and look at their race. Recently saw a picture where a rich white man got off with like 40 days (maybe it was months, but I don' think so?) for $13 mill worth of embezzlement and a poor, black man got 25 years for robbing some gas station (I think) after he turned himself in because he felt guilty. Look at the recent Zimmerman and Trayvon case - media/politicians blaming the murder on the fact that Trayvon was wearing a hoodie and urging people not to wear hoodies because they will seem black and suspicious. Look at the reactions people had over having black actors in the Hunger Games (even for characters who were described as black in the books). People were actually tweeting things along the lines of 'Knowing Rue was black in the movies made her death a little less sad'. Even look at the little things that children do. Did anyone else experience people around them doing the 'Chinese, Japanese, something else' thing where they pulled their eyes up and down (mind blank, I can't think of the whole thing)? An action I never saw an adult telling kids not to do, but is racist and mean. And ever heard of the AABA? All-American Basketball Association - basketball for only Americans (here meaning Caucasians) because blacks are "ruining" basketball because they're allowed to be violent criminals and still on basketball teams, taking spots away from whites.

Soooo...yeah. Not saying whites don't face racism but it's definitely not at the same level as non-whites.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I definitely agree with you though. Look at the opportunities for whites vs. other races. Look around in your classes - how many whites are there and how many other are there?

My aunt was the only white kid in her class when she lived in Michigain. The rest were black. Just depends on where you live.

Look at jobs you see on TV - how many white vs. other actors, newscasters, politicians, etc.

How many of those black kids want to be "gangsta" and live on the streets vs others. Honestly, look at Obama, or Will Smith. Black people can do it. No excuses.

Look at the rates at which we prosecute people and look at their race.
Look at the percentage of crimes commited by certain races. I'd expect whoever commits more crimes to be prosecuted more.

Look at the recent Zimmerman and Trayvon case - media/politicians blaming the murder on the fact that Trayvon was wearing a hoodie and urging people not to wear hoodies because they will seem black and suspicious.

You mean the one where everyone says he HAS to be guilty because he's white and killed a black guy, and it's OBVIOUSLY a hate crime, and couldn't possibly have been self defense. That one? I have.

Look at the reactions people had over having black actors in the Hunger Games (even for characters who were described as black in the books). People were actually tweeting things along the lines of 'Knowing Rue was black in the movies made her death a little less sad'.

And what about all the people who said that if you didn't vote for Obama, you were racist?

Even look at the little things that children do. Did anyone else experience people around them doing the 'Chinese, Japanese, something else' thing where they pulled their eyes up and down (mind blank, I can't think of the whole thing)? An action I never saw an adult telling kids not to do, but is racist and mean

How is it racist? It doessn't seem derogetory in any way.

What?

You try being an Asian dry.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/triciawang/se...57594387522349/

I will say this and I will always say it again-Asian women are people, not cultural products you experience. If you want to know more about my culture go to the library. I will tell you stuff about my culture when I feel like it. Not to mention that for Asian Americans they feel like they will mever be accepted as a part of America.

Gah.

Imagine a little alien tagging after you all the time asking what Earthlings were like and how they appreciate you as Earthlings are soooi much more docile than other aliens. That's what it feels like.

Aaaaand I'm done talking with you. Making fun of someone's racial features isn't derogatory? Yeah right....that's why people still loooove blackface, right? Oh yeah, except we don't.

Edited by ylangylang

I will say this and I will always say it again-Asian women are people, not cultural products you experience. If you want to know more about my culture go to the library. I will tell you stuff about my culture when I feel like it. Not to mention that for Asian Americans they feel like they will mever be accepted as a part of America.

Gah.

Imagine a little alien tagging after you all the time asking what Earthlings were like and how they appreciate you as Earthlings are soooi much more docile than other aliens. That's what it feels like.

Okay, now I see.

But guys are going to try to get close to you for sex if you're hot, no matter what your race is.

Okay, now I see.

But guys are going to try to get close to you for sex if you're hot, no matter what your race is.

What does that have to do with the fact that people are fetishizing my race?

What does that have to do with the fact that people are fetishizing my race?

The fact that other girls experience the same thing regardless of race.

A few questions...

1. Arent you an Asian girl living in Asia ? Im just wondering how is it that you are getting "Hyper-Sexualized" by white guys if white guys are a minority in your country ? Just curious ?

2. You say that Asian Americans dont feel like they will ever be accepted as a part of America ? Im sorry, do you know all Asian Americans ?

How is what you're saying supposed to be different from lets say a caucasian/black Chinese/Japanese guy/girl ? You figure they all feel like they have been accepted as a part of China/Japan ?

A few questions...

1. Arent you an Asian girl living in Asia ? Im just wondering how is it that you are getting "Hyper-Sexualized" by white guys if white guys are a minority in your country ? Just curious ?

2. You say that Asian Americans dont feel like they will ever be accepted as a part of America ? Im sorry, do you know all Asian Americans ?

How is what you're saying supposed to be different from lets say a caucasian/black Chinese/Japanese guy/girl ? You figure they all feel like they have been accepted as a part of China/Japan ?

1. Lived in Canada for a large chunk of my teenage years.

2. No, but there are countless blogs and tumblr who devote themselves to this Asian fetish thing, so I do know that many people feel the same way. That said, no, foreigners aren't really accepted into the mainstream here eitherbut compared to the US and Canada, ethnic diversity here is almost zero. There are whole days I can spend without seeing other race here, so I think the lack of exposure plays a part here as well.

And Crisis-then they shouldn't come up with pick up lines about my culture, like "I love using chopsticks!" hmmm?

And Crisis-then they shouldn't come up with pick up lines about my culture, like "I love using chopsticks!" hmmm?

Are you aware that a lot of people have a red hair fetish? And that my friend has to put up with pick up lines and being called "fiesty" just becuase she has red hair?

There are fetishes for just about everything. All hair colors, tattoos, piercings, Asians, Latinas, everything. And those women usually have to go through similar circumstances like yours. I have to CONSTANTLY step in between my sister and guys because they won't leave her alone because she has big boobs.

My aunt was the only white kid in her class when she lived in Michigain. The rest were black. Just depends on where you live.

Sure. But look at the more 'upper class' colleges and such. Mostly whitefolk.

How many of those black kids want to be "gangsta" and live on the streets vs others. Honestly, look at Obama, or Will Smith. Black people can do it. No excuses.

I don't quite know what to say to this.

This is...a very privileged thing to be able to say.

I'm glad that you aren't in a situation where you're being forced into poverty and gangs just to survive and so can't understand it. Being a gangster is the only way to get anything in places where gangs are common. It's unlikely you'll get a good job or education and that starts before you're born. It's because of where you live and what color your skin is and how much money your parents have.

Just because some have been able to do it doesn't mean we aren't trying to stop them from doing so. The education system in ghettos is awful. Nobody cares about those kids or changing what it's like in places like these. Little to nothing is done to help them. If the system won't let you out, how are you supposed to get out?

People like Will Smith and Obama are just extraordinary. I'm glad they are, but not everyone is so lucky.

Look at the percentage of crimes commited by certain races. I'd expect whoever commits more crimes to be prosecuted more.

See above and the situations we put certain people into.

I'm also pretty sure blacks have the highest rate of being convicted even though they're innocent.

You mean the one where everyone says he HAS to be guilty because he's white and killed a black guy, and it's OBVIOUSLY a hate crime, and couldn't possibly have been self defense. That one? I have.

That doesn't have to do with my point.

And what about all the people who said that if you didn't vote for Obama, you were racist?

There were people openly admitting they would or wouldn't vote for Obama because of his skin color.

This is a problem.

I think ylangylang answered that well: "Making fun of someone's racial features isn't derogatory?"

My Vietnamese boyfriend was also teased/bullied with that throughout elementary school and probably longer. Still hurts him to this day.

Well of course not everybody is going to agree on one thing ever.

That doesn't stop it from being wrong, hurtful, or cruel.

1. Lived in Canada for a large chunk of my teenage years.

2. No, but there are countless blogs and tumblr who devote themselves to this Asian fetish thing, so I do know that many people feel the same way. That said, no, foreigners aren't really accepted into the mainstream here eitherbut compared to the US and Canada, ethnic diversity here is almost zero. There are whole days I can spend without seeing other race here, so I think the lack of exposure plays a part here as well.

1. Canada and states are not the same thing and being "exotic" has nothing to do with you being an Asian...I suggest you find a white girl in your country and ask her how hyper-sexualized she is by Chinese/Japanese men or whichever Asian country it is you're from.

You do so and you'll discover that it has nothing to do with Asian girls, but more with whats considered "exotic" in any country, exotic means different/hard to find...

2. The mere fact you're calling it a fetish means its not a norm, and many people on blogs about fetishes doesnt make it all people, matter of fact I have never heard an Asian dude or a girl say something of a sort nor heard my (pick any color) friends say anything specific about Asian girls, normal guys love girls, period. Asian, black, white, jewish, muslim, we dont really care, either we like the girl or not, thats all there's to it really...

Whether ethnic diversity leads to "loving" treatment towards foreigners or the "loving" treatment leads to diversity is open for another discussion, but one thing is certain, USA is a multicultural country and treats "foreigners" way better than probably any Asian country out there...

edit - @ SockPuppet Strangler

Well of course not everybody is going to agree on one thing ever.

That doesn't stop it from being wrong, hurtful, or cruel.

Hurtful and wrong - totally agree...however the point I was making is, you SockPuppet are a white girl, if you go to Egypt or China you will be hypersexualized by the guys living there coz you're white, the whole thing has nothing to do with Asian girls at all, but simply with girls who look different in any country around the world hence the term "exotic"

Edited by The Evil Doer

Sure. But look at the more 'upper class' colleges and such. Mostly whitefolk.

Because white people are the majority of the populace maybe?

This is...a very privileged thing to be able to say.

I'm glad that you aren't in a situation where you're being forced into poverty and gangs just to survive and so can't understand it. Being a gangster is the only way to get anything in places where gangs are common. It's unlikely you'll get a good job or education and that starts before you're born. It's because of where you live and what color your skin is and how much money your parents have.

Just because some have been able to do it doesn't mean we aren't trying to stop them from doing so. The education system in ghettos is awful. Nobody cares about those kids or changing what it's like in places like these. Little to nothing is done to help them. If the system won't let you out, how are you supposed to get out?

Because working your ass off to make good grades and getting a scholarship isn't a way out at all, right?

People like Will Smith and Obama are just extraordinary. I'm glad they are, but not everyone is so lucky.

Not everyone is that lucky, or not everyone wants to work hard to end up there?

My dad is friends with a man who is one of the lost boys of Sudan. He could speak 7 labguages, write in 5, had multiple college degrees, and was going back to school for more. I don't care underpriveleged you think you are, remember that this man had has brothers killed in front of him, didn't even want to think about what happened to his sisters and mother, walked across the desert on a trip that many didn't even survive, made it to America, and worked hard for his success. NO. EXCUSES.

I'm also pretty sure blacks have the highest rate of being convicted even though they're innocent.

How do you know they're innocent?

That doesn't have to do with my point.

You brought it up as a point in a thread about racism, and I talked about the relevant racist parts of it. Is there another point other than that people want to convict Zimmerman just becuase he's white and killed a black man?

There were people openly admitting they would or wouldn't vote for Obama because of his skin color.
And there are people who like that Rue was black in the Hunger Games.

I think ylangylang answered that well: "Making fun of someone's racial features isn't derogatory?"

My Vietnamese boyfriend was also teased/bullied with that throughout elementary school and probably longer. Still hurts him to this day.

Not everyone sees it that way. I have Asian friends who think it's funny.

I'm assuming you mean the population of the United States, not the world, right?

Yes.

Because white people are the majority of the populace maybe?

Okay. The majority of non-whites at my technical school are foreign. So, the non-white students we have aren't even American. There's something off when other countries can get into the college easier than minorities here. o.o

ecause working your ass off to make good grades and getting a scholarship isn't a way out at all, right?

Except that whites do not have to do this (to the same degree), which makes it unequal.

Not everyone is that lucky, or not everyone wants to work hard to end up there?

While hard work is certainly a part of it, they did also get lucky. I'm sure they are not the only blackfolk who have worked hard to bring themselves up, but they are one of the few who succeeded.

My dad is friends with a man who is one of the lost boys of Sudan. He could speak 7 labguages, write in 5, had multiple college degrees, and was going back to school for more. I don't care underpriveleged you think you are, remember that this man had has brothers killed in front of him, didn't even want to think about what happened to his sisters and mother, walked across the desert on a trip that many didn't even survive, made it to America, and worked hard for his success. NO. EXCUSES.

Good for him!

But one in a million doesn't mean everyone can do it.

How do you know they're innocent?

Because of stats on things of how we're more likely to convict minorities than whites and the way our justice system functions.

You brought it up as a point in a thread about racism, and I talked about the relevant racist parts of it. Is there another point other than that people want to convict Zimmerman just becuase he's white and killed a black man?

I was talking about the media and political reaction, not the case itself. Not even the reaction to whether or not Zimmerman is guilty or not.

Things like this: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/en.../1#.T458GbOOX-Y

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local...martin-20120409

And there are people who like that Rue was black in the Hunger Games.

So? This does nothing to erase the racism against this.

Not everyone sees it that way. I have Asian friends who think it's funny.

Again, so? That doesn't make it not hurtful. That doesn't mean others don't find it racist.

Okay. The majority of non-whites at my technical school are foreign. So, the non-white students we have aren't even American. There's something off when other countries can get into the college easier than minorities here. o.o

Look at education rates of ther countries vs America. We're WAY behind. And it's because Americans don't want to go to college, not because people are being repressed.

Except that whites do not have to do this (to the same degree), which makes it unequal.

Says who? I'm white, and I dicked off in school, and didn't graduate with the rest of my class. I had to go to summer school, and guess what. The only reason I was even eligible for a decent scholarship was because of my ACT score. Compare that to my firend Daniel who's black and makes stright A's. He got scholarships that I didn't. Seems pretty damn fair to me.

While hard work is certainly a part of it, they did also get lucky. I'm sure they are not the only blackfolk who have worked hard to bring themselves up, but they are one of the few who succeeded.

Plenty of black people succeed. For god's sake, look at college and proffesional sports.

Good for him!

But one in a million doesn't mean everyone can do it.

No, it just means that if you work hard then you can get a college degree.

Because of stats on things of how we're more likely to convict minorities than whites and the way our justice system functions.

Statistics don't prove guilt or innocence.

I was talking about the media and political reaction, not the case itself. Not even the reaction to whether or not Zimmerman is guilty or not.

Because how the media reports trumps the publics opinion, right?

So? This does nothing to erase the racism against this.

And people saying they wouldn't vote for Obama because he was black doesn't earse the racism of people saying that if I didn't vote for Obama then I was racist.

Again, so? That doesn't make it not hurtful. That doesn't mean others don't find it racist.
If they ever asked me not to do it, I wouldn't have done it. But it does prove that it's not hurtful to everyone of a race, just that some are more sensitive to it.

Evil doer- I know hypersexualization of white girls is a problem across Asia. However, that doesn't justify or cover up the same thing happening to Asians in the U.S. I've also went to the U.S quite a few times, and I found Americans generally, in my experience, more likely to shove racial epithets down my throat.

I'm trying to change racism everywhere, and I think that being hypersexualized-whether your'e an Asian, White, or Black or Latina-is wrong and racist. However, I was making a point about the treatment of Asians in the U.S so... I don't see how your comments relate to that except to show that some people are xenophobic everywhere.

If they ever asked me not to do it, I wouldn't have done it. But it does prove that it's not hurtful to everyone of a race, just that some are more sensitive to it.

Lol Crisis...that's like saying "I can say the N-word because some of my black friends don't really mind. The ones who get upset are the sensitive ones."

Evil doer- I know hypersexualization of white girls is a problem across Asia. However, that doesn't justify or cover up the same thing happening to Asians in the U.S. I've also went to the U.S quite a few times, and I found Americans generally, in my experience, more likely to shove racial epithets down my throat.

The same thing is not happening to Asians in USA, white girls in Asia are "bothered" way more than Asian girls in the USA, there is no specific Asian thing going on in the states, girls from Iran/Sweden/whatever are way more exotic to us than Asian girls, we have china towns in every major city, its not that hard to find an Asian girl here, I have no idea what you even talking about ? You visited a few times and encountered a few retards (and for that I am sorry) and now you know the state of mind of Asians in the USA ? In all the states ? Come on, USA even though we have a lot of racism is treating as you call them "foreigners" way way better than any country in Asia, and I mean ANY country...

I'm trying to change racism everywhere, and I think that being hypersexualized-whether your'e an Asian, White, or Black or Latina-is wrong and racist. However, I was making a point about the treatment of Asians in the U.S so... I don't see how your comments relate to that except to show that some people are xenophobic everywhere.

Hypersexualization of certain "colors" = being more unique as oppposed to being discriminated against or hated on based on the color of the skin hence its not even Racism !!

You are not an Asian American so you dont really know how asians are treated in the states nor whats Asian American' state of mind, all you know is how you were treated god knows where and by who knows who, and from that you've went and stereotyped the entire country and decided that most of us have some Asian fetish (of which I have never even heard), so my point is talk about the stuff you know for a fact which would be your country where things are without a doubt harder for anybody who doesnt share your skin color, instead of making claims which are kinda ridiculous to me.

Edited by The Evil Doer

The same thing is not happening to Asians in USA, white girls in Asia are "bothered" way more than Asian girls in the USA, there is no specific Asian thing going on in the states, girls from Iran/Sweden/whatever are way more exotic to us than Asian girls, we have china towns in every major city, its not that hard to find an Asian girl here, I have no idea what you even talking about ? You visited a few times and encountered a few retards (and for that I am sorry) and now you know the state of mind of Asians in USA ? In all our states ? Come on, USA even though we have a lot of racism is treating as you call them "foreigners" way way better than any country in Asia, and I mean ANY country...

Hypersexualization of certain "colors" = being more unique as oppposed to being discriminated against or hated on based on the color of the skin hence its not even Racism !!

You are not an Asian American so you dont really know how asians are treated in the states nor whats Asian American' state of mind, all you know is how you were treated god knows where and by who knows who, and from that you've went and stereotyped the entire country and decided that most of us have some Asian fetish (of which I have never even heard), so my point is talk about the stuff you know for a fact which would be your country where things are without a doubt harder for anybody who doesnt share your skin color, instead of making claims which are kinda ridiculous to me.

Testimony by Asian Americans found

-made entirely by Asian americans, mind you

here this one's a scholarly report, so it's rather long

here

I could probably dig up a whole lot more, but these are all statements by Asian Americans. Do your research by yourself.