wondersueak

Racism

I guess I'm just posting here to vent. Racism sucks. When I was little I thought everything was happy land until around middle school.

I'm Hispanic and I hate going to an airport with people talking to you in English very slowly or attempt to converse in Spanish while giving you a pitiful look.

Or my crappy high school that teams up with the police to track down the parents of children who came here illegally. Only the Mexicans of course, never the illegal Irish and Germans that live in the same town. Then they pretend to be all apologetic when they tell the children that they will now be put in foster care.

Then there's the fact that besides being in the top 10% of my class and taking as many honor classes as possible I'm still treated as an imbecile by some. Every time we have enrollment my school's counselors always make such a big deal about me taking advance courses. "You'll never be able to do that", "That's too hard maybe you should try something more basic", and "Are you sure you'll be able to pass that course?". Then someone of a different ethnicity with worse grades and work ethnic comes along and of course their instantly welcome to take the course. They drop out before the semester even ends, I've seen it happen.

Sometimes I hate my school.

I hear you. Hy husband is Hispanic and received very similar treatment in school, even though he went to school in Santa Fe NM, where Hispanic people aren't the minority.

Now for a bit of good news (though it touches on religious discrimination as well as racial discrimination) the young man that helps out at the end of This video is an example of how more people should be towards people who look different than others.

lanaura, that's so stupid : ( I wish people didn't do that to you. I don't know if they did that to my cousins, since they went to Catholic school. I do know because they are first generation Mexican and Caucasian, they catch flack from other Mexicans, such as being insulted in Spanish to their faces, with the assumption that because they're not really Mexican, of course they aren't fluent in Spanish.

I hear you. Hy husband is Hispanic and received very similar treatment in school, even though he went to school in Santa Fe NM, where Hispanic people aren't the minority.

Now for a bit of good news (though it touches on religious discrimination as well as racial discrimination) the young man that helps out at the end of This video is an example of how more people should be towards people who look different than others.

That video is amazing. Every person, no matter who they are, should be willing to do what that kid did.

On another note, though... I don't think think it's racism so much as it is just general hate for people. I don't care much for people in RL, as well as some people OL, so I'm guessing I'm just racist against the human race? (If that's even possible.) Because, my hate isn't limited to any one race... It's pretty much all of them, including my own (Latina and Caucasian).

"I'm not racist - I hate everybody equally."

My other half is like that wink.gif To be fair it's not racist to dislike people - it's only racism if their skin colour is the reason you dislike them. I could, for instance, have a dislike of a particular coloured guy. Now that wouldn't be racist if the reason I disliked him was because he was an arrogant, boorish, mysoginist; it would only become racist if the fact that he was black was one of the reasons I disliked him.

My other half is like that wink.gif To be fair it's not racist to dislike people - it's only racism if their skin colour is the reason you dislike them. I could, for instance, have a dislike of a particular coloured guy. Now that wouldn't be racist if the reason I disliked him was because he was an arrogant, boorish, mysoginist; it would only become racist if the fact that he was black was one of the reasons I disliked him.

Reminds me of one of my favorite "King of the Hill" quotes: "What kind of country is this where you can only hate a man if he's white?" tongue.gif (The context was that his new neighbor was, in fact, an arrogant, boorish, bragging, racist, misogynist jerk, but since the man was Laotian, everyone thought Hank was being racist when he complained about it.)

Yep. Everywhere I've been in NM the racism against Hispanics has been the most obvious and the loudest. I know people who have actually seriously used the term "yard Mexican" and said it wasn't racist because it was true. . . . =_=

*huggles lanaura*

Well, I do find that nowadays, I have been disliking people more and more because of their skin color. I live in an area that is close to another where African Americas are the majority. I am never happy to frequent the area simply because all of them who I've had the displeasure to meet in public have been very, very unpleasant and very, very loud. And it's hard not for me to associate their skin color with these traits and not to dislike them when all the experiences I've ever had with them have been unpleasant. So, I'm not quite sure if that would qualify as racism, but, then again, I'm not so sure it would really qualify as anything else.

You should come over to North Carolina. They've got the nicest black people you'll ever meet.

I cannot stand racism, i show no tolerance towards it dry.gif . We are all one species. For those who don't know, we are all human!

I cannot stand racism, i show no tolerance towards it  dry.gif . We are all one species. For those who don't know, we are all human!

Nicely said, and thank you! *hugs*

I think sometimes, some people in the U.S. get confused because they often equate culture and class with race -- there are certain behaviors that are common among residents of poor, undereducated areas, and often it's our cultural racism that has arranged for minorities to live in those communities, where they adopt those behaviors because of their situation. It has nothing to do with skin color or genetics -- raised in a different environment, those people would probably exhibit vastly different behaviors, no matter what their "race."

Also, true fact: there is more genetic variance between individuals within a given race than there is between one race and another. Just some food for thought. Here's a nice quote from this PBS documentary::

We have a long history of searching for innate differences to explain disparities in group outcomes - not just for inherited diseases, but also SAT scores and athletic performance. In contrast to today's myth of innate Black athletic superiority, a hundred years ago many whites felt that Black people were inherently sickly and destined to die out. That's because disease and mortality rates were high among African Americans - the cause was poverty, poor sanitation, and Jim Crow segregation, but it was easier for most people to believe it was a result of "natural" infirmity, a view popularized by influential statistician Frederick Hoffman in his 1896 study, Race Traits and Tendencies of the American Negro.
Edited by Kelkelen

A lot of racists won't even realise they are being racist, even if it's blatantly obvious to everyone else, and anyway, will anyone in this topic actually own up to being racist? No, racism is wrong, and racists will know that everyone else thinks that, even if they don't. I don't think that racism of any form should be tolerated. I have luckily never seen any racism and I hope to keep it that way. I think it's time that everyone realises that the colour of your skin has nothing to do with anything. biggrin.gif

A lot of racists won't even realise they are being racist, even if it's blatantly obvious to everyone else, and anyway, will anyone in this topic actually own up to being racist? No, racism is wrong, and racists will know that everyone else thinks that, even if they don't. I don't think that racism of any form should be tolerated. I have luckily never seen any racism and I hope to keep it that way. I think it's time that everyone realises that the colour of your skin has nothing to do with anything. biggrin.gif

Everyone's a little bit racist. wink.gif

Actually, that's be predjudice.

Racism is believing that one race is superior to all others.

Example: White people are the best. Blacks, Asians, and hispanics suck.

Prejudice would be believing that on specific race is inferior, but another race or two still being equal to another.

Example: Asians suck, but black people are okay.

Actually, that's be predjudice.

Racism is believing that one race is superior to all others.

Example: White people are the best. Blacks, Asians, and hispanics suck.

Prejudice would be believing that on specific race is inferior, but another race or two still being equal to another.

Example: Asians suck, but black people are okay.

I thought that your definition of 'racism' was 'white supremecy'. Certainly in the UK racism is considered to be *any* disliking of/action agian a person purely because of their skin colour, regardless of what you think of other races.

So, over here, "I don't like him because he's indian, but that black guy is fine" would be considered racist. "White people are best, everyone else sucks" would be considered white supremecist, and probably a member of the BNP.

Not sure which bit of my original post you were defining as predjudice, though? huh.gif

I thought that your definition of 'racism' was 'white supremecy'. Certainly in the UK racism is considered to be *any* disliking of/action agian a person purely because of their skin colour, regardless of what you think of other races.

So, over here, "I don't like him because he's indian, but that black guy is fine" would be considered racist. "White people are best, everyone else sucks" would be considered white supremecist, and probably a member of the BNP.

Not sure which bit of my original post you were defining as predjudice, though? huh.gif

Most people would say that the statement "I hate black people" is racist. Techincally though, racism is based on the belief that a certain race is superior to all others. Racism just gets used where prejudice should be used, and people generally don't know there's a difference.

Unfortunately, most peoplealso think racism is white people hating on other races, and forget that white people can be discriminated against too.

I'm not sure about that. I'd consider both of those examples to be racism.

I agree. Dictionary doesn't seem to specify that you have to believe only one race is superior to all others. o.o

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

n.

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

See number 3. especially.

Most people would say that the statement "I hate black people" is racist. Techincally though, racism is based on the belief that a certain race is superior to all others. Racism just gets used where prejudice should be used, and people generally don't know there's a difference.

Unfortunately, most peoplealso think racism is white people hating on other races, and forget that white people can be discriminated against too.

No its not, Racism is not only being superior to other races, prejudice is part of being a racist.

You dont have to believe your race is superior to be a racist, hating or discriminating a person based on their skin color is Racism !

Edited by The Evil Doer

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

This is what I was talking about. I've always learned that this the definition of racism all through school.

No its not, Racism is not only being superior to other races, prejudice is part of being a racist.

You dont have to believe your race is superior to be a racist, hating or discriminating a person based on their skin color is Racism !

Soooo... Are you going to make a point, or just an argumentative statement?

(Sorry if I seem rude, I've been on another site recently, and posts like this don't make it for posts worth debating.)

This is what I was talking about. I've always learned that this the definition of racism all through school.

Soooo... Are you going to make a point, or just an argumentative statement?

(Sorry if I seem rude, I've been on another site recently, and posts like this don't make it for posts worth debating.)

Feeling as a superior race = racism

Not feeling as a superior race but still hating/discriminating based only on color skin = racism...

Both facts, nothing to debate here...

Feeling as a superior race = racism

Not feeling as a superior race but still hating/discriminating based only on color skin = racism...

Both facts, nothing to debate here...

Nooow I see what you're trying to say.

Please note that the other two parts of the definition socks posted are also in use, and are not an incorrect application of the term.

Being racist doesn't nescesarily means being a white supremecist.

Please note that the other two parts of the definition socks posted are also in use, and are not an incorrect application of the term.

Being racist doesn't nescesarily means being a white supremecist.

No, I gotcha, lol.

But is it just me or do most racially discriminating acts usually seem to be against white people?

o_O If I had to quantify it, I definitely see more racism and more obvious racism against minorities.

How so?

It just seems that way. Like I can't tell you how many black people on Call of Duty have made the fact that I or someone else in the lobby is white an issue. And just personal experience, but black people have made race an issue more than any other group of people in my area (most of my experience has been throughout 4 years of high school though).

Edited by Crisis