wondersueak

Racism

What are your opinions of racism?

I, personally, hate racism. I have been the target in a couple places.

at my school we have a tiny bit of racism. maybe a little more than tiny.

we have a very diverse school. the "whites" "mungs" "asian nerds" "african americans." "samoans'' and "Hawaiians".

the "samoans" think there are too many "whites" here.

if you are "white" you are automatically deamed less cool and less awesome than all the others.

this is an ex:

I am about 75% scottish and Russian. I don't know if the whole rest of the 25% is Russian, but I have a good amount of Russian in me.

I have red hair, and skin as pale as edwards off of twilight.

freckles.

for heaven sakes, we live in alaska! there used to be a bunch of russians here like forever ago! lol.

I understand that the example I gave is mild racism, compared to most.

rules:

no drama! if you start drama, my dragon concepts will eat you.

no breaking site rules *duh*

if someone askes so and so to stop, stop.

if someone says you offended them, say sorry.

please, civil when having "debates". no arguments getting out of hand.

I shall say here what I said on the sexism thread.

Any sort of prejudice against any group of people is idiotic beyond belief. You shouldn't judge anyone in any way until you've met them as an individual, and then you can't judge someone else by how you judged that previous person, no matter how similar they are.

Gender, age, race, etc etc, this is what I believe.

I hate racism in any way, shape, or form.

I don't judge people by their sexual preferences, race, or religion. I judge by the color of one's blood.

<.<

It's bad. At the same time, it's positively stupid how some people act, what with their "my ancestors were persecuted so I will rant and rave about such" as well as "reverse racism."

Racism is plain annoying and ignorant, I hate it. A LOT.

But what makes me the most mad about the subject is when some people PURPOSELY try to act like the stereotype their categorized into.

Any sort of prejudice against any group of people is idiotic beyond belief. You shouldn't judge anyone in any way until you've met them as an individual, and then you can't judge someone else by how you judged that previous person, no matter how similar they are.

^ Here, here!

I also agree with Xatuman on people trying to fit their stereotypes. When people proudly proclaim they're ghetto, emo or whatnot, they show that they lack individuality. However, I can understand why they do so as it gives them an identity.

I'm not sure if there's anything to argue on this thread as everyone nowadays has been taught that racism is wrong.

The people at my school are racism without knowing it. So they freely deny it.

daydreamer09:

that's how most of the people are at our school. The emo's proudly proclaim their emo. the people that proudly proclaim they're ghetto are the popular people in the school. everyone wants to be like them.

everyone at my school just wants to blend in and not stick out, and if you stick out in any way they really don't like you.

The combination of me being russian+scottish+redhead+straight A's+the star student in choir and band, has gotten me picked on a lot. a lot of times borderlining on racist, or sexist.

Oh, racism. In my Christian private schools, there have been many racist jokes and whatnot. I'm not sure if the teachers knew about it, but racism flowed throughout the whole school. Now in PUBLIC school, there's a lot less racism, but still there's racism.

And on the Internet the other day, I had a lulfest with my friend. Before I go on, I'm Asian. And so was my friend, but the racism started and ended before she came.

On this game site, two people entered the game I was playing and began to insult me immediately. I guessed it was my username that gave it away (it was similar to this one, lol). They said lots of stuff that could have made my blood boil, but I toyed with them. =P I told them I wasn't Asian and they started apologizing.

I really don't understand why racism even has to happen over the freaking Internet. I could care less who the person was, but even my parents encourage me to become as racist as them. >.>

So, yeah... It's bad, horrible, terrible... Yep.

Let's say that there is a Venn diagram. White part is non-racist part, and the black part is the racist part. And of course, there's a gray area where they overlap.

I live in Canada, where the backgrounds of people are very diverse. And their culture influence at least a part of their beings.

And from now and then, I have to compare someone with someone else.

No matter how I try to stay in the 'white' area, I end up creeping into the gray area, and maybe the black area from time to time. Seriously, I don't mean to sound racist. But when comparing one anothers' cultures, I can't help but to refer to their backgrounds.

Maybe it's in my blood - maybe I'm a natural-born racist. But in the end, all comes down to the person at the other end of the conversation. If he/she's sensitive. great. I'm a full-on racist. If he/she's at least a little bit understanding. I'm not.

The latter's rare. I end up being accused of being a racist. And I personally think some people really are sensitive...

Screw the skin color and the culture. I wish I had a BIG mixing bowl and a masher, mash the world into a big mash, and evenly distribute everything again. But then, I have a feeling that racism won't go away even then...

I want to move over to Mars. Anyone want to come with me? I hate the Earth. For various different reasons.

Kaicat, I'll go with you to Mars. I don't like Earth a whole lot either.

In my mind racism is bad, but it gets on my case when people who say that others are racist towards them, are acting racist to that other group of people. It happens a lot where I live.

In my mind racism is bad, but it gets on my case when people who say that others are racist towards them, are acting racist to that other group of people. It happens a lot where I live.

Funny. Your avatar insists it can't be seen by muggles - non magics in Harry Potter language, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Spelling fail.

Edited by EternalSpring

Nevermind.

Though if you want to know, she was saying her mind, that racism was bad, yet her icon contradicts that thought. The avatar says it won't be seen by muggles - NON magics, a different "race." That's my logic, anyway. Her avatar probably isn't serious, but it sparked my interest.

everyone at my school just wants to blend in and not stick out, and if you stick out in any way they really don't like you.

The combination of me being russian+scottish+redhead+straight A's+the star student in choir and band, has gotten me picked on a lot. a lot of times borderlining on racist, or sexist.

That's kind of just society at large, as it happens. If you don't blend in the majority of people tend to either dislike you, or just avoid you incase the image rubs off.

Gotta say it - kids are horrible to each other. And they'll use any excuse. I, personaly, don't really view it as racist or sexist unless they're like that to *everyone* that fits into a specific group (including adults). If they're only using it as an excuse to pick on other kids at school then, to my mind anyway, it's just kids being the typical arseholes they are. Someone at every school will *always* be picked on. I'm sure if everyone had the same skine, eye and hair colours, and exactly the same acedemic and sporting talents they'd still find someone to pick on.

Race, gender, orientation, etc. don't mean carp to me. I judge people by how they treat animals and how they treat others

Racism is stupid. Of course, it always pisses me off when someone says I'm racist because of my thor's hammer necklace or the fact that I have a charm with a swastika on it : /. I then have to spend and hour of my life explaining that the swastika was part of almost every culture and represented peace, joy and the sun long before it was perverted by nazis.

I shall say here what I said on the sexism thread.

This. This right here is my opinion on the whole debate. The mother of a family friend has been over to our house because she was going into surgery the next day, and she brought her husband and her friend with her; her friend was black. I'll admit, I didn't talk very freely with her at first, but that's because I'm kind of shy and have a confidence issue, and I need a little time to open up to people; ask anyone I know, they'll tell you I do that with everyone. *I've even done that with my own relatives, for crying out loud!* But by the time that they were leaving, I was hoping we'd be able to see each other again; Mama Cooper was really nice.

I know that it's been getting better, but the racist problems are still around. My uncle lives in Florida, and I'd love it if he'd come up to visit, but he doesn't. Why not? It's because of my grandparents, but mostly my grandmother. She's Italian, and majorly racist towards my uncle's wife, whose a black girl. Because of this, my uncle's been disowned, and in my grandmother's mind, the only son she has is my dad. But here's my opinion: My uncle has been with this girl for around sixteen years. He stayed with her when the doctors thought she had Lupus; when the 'disease' attacked her kidneys, they got some good news in that it was really kidney faliure masquerading as Lupus. So then he stuck with her through surgery on her kidneys and the dialasus after that. Then recently, he had some major health issuses involving his thyroid and a few other things, and she stuck by his side. If that's not love, I don't know what is. They got married recently, and I wish them the best; but I could just hit my grandmother because all she can see is the color of the girl's skin. I'm sorry, but if I ever find a guy like that, one that'll stand by me no matter what sort of messed up stuff life decides to toss my way, then I think he's a keeper; the whole thing of skin color and ethnic background can take a backseat.

~ Dream

Racism is stupid.

Last year I lived for four-and-a-half months in Northern Germany, in a big-ish city's student quarter, where you can meet people of different skin colours, with no problems. My neighbour was Korean with a Japanese boyfriend and there were Chinese and Malaysian people in my German class, and I liked all of them.

Actually, I prefer multiculturalism to mononationalism.

Edited by lightbird

What Vexx said about it being idiotic and any sort of judging people by their covers, as it were.

Three little ramblings kinda related to the topic:

1) I went to a private elementary school, which was pretty much all white, Canadian-born Canadians. The only ones who weren't were three people of Asian descent (well, two were Canadians of Asian descent, Yu-Ming was Chinese but living in Canada), and maybe I was completely, absolutely oblivious, but in a very small school (and Yu-Ming only a grade below me, the other two were much younger), I did not once pick up on any racism towards them. This is notable because our school didn't, as a private school, have to teach the public school systems anti-racism curriculum. But who knows, maybe we were just very sheltered, maybe I'm just absurdly oblivious. But.

2) One of my aunts married a Japanese man. Because of this, my grandfather (her father) did not talk to her for over 20 years. They are talking now, instigated by other factors, but because of this, and because of the fact that it essentially isolated her from our family gatherings, I've never really got to know her (or my uncle) well at all. I wouldn't know him if I tripped over him, and I'd have to guess if it were her or not!

3) The other month, one of my IRL friends (who is white) commented that sometimes, just sometimes, they wished they were black. Why? They didn't verbalize it in the following manner, but it was implied from the discussion we were having. Because black people are essentially (and stereotypically) seen as being 'cool' at our high school. I know that that is definitely a stereotype (might as well say that people who are exactly 5'8" are automatically cool...) but is it racism? I've no idea. I suppose, to some extent, it is.

It's strange that the other day I made a few comments on this thread and today I was accused of racism. 0.o

I work at a department store and the last couple months they've been holding me in the fitting room monitoring what people are taking in and out. Sometime before noon today, a woman came in caring two garments.

Following standard procedure, I asked if I could hand count what she was taking in. Now I've been told that this is what the person in the fitting room is suppose to do and I do it with everyone to be sure I don't get charged of racial profiling.

Nonetheless, as I handed the woman the card with a number two on it, I hear her ask if that's what we do to all blacks. I hastily tried to tell her that I do that for everyone, but either she did not hear me or wouldn't listen as she had already rushed into a stall. I was utterly and totally shocked. It was like she had slapped me. As she left, she unceremoniously dropped her number on the table and stomped out, meanwhile I was smiling and saying, "Thank you. Have a nice day."

There was absolutely no reason for her to claim such a thing. She didn't see how I treated other customers before coming in, so she had no evidence. I cannot help complaining that if it were one of my non white coworkers who had greeted her, she would not have said such a thing.

Thinking back on it later, I should have said something snooty back to her to catch her off guard. "Wait, what? You're BLACK?!" or maybe "You look more like a chocolate brown color to me.". (Probably wouldn't have helped the situation, but it would have darn well made me feel better about it and make her look silly) dry.gif

Though if you want to know, she was saying her mind, that racism was bad, yet her icon contradicts that thought. The avatar says it won't be seen by muggles - NON magics, a different "race." That's my logic, anyway. Her avatar probably isn't serious, but it sparked my interest.

My avatar isn't serious. It's just a joke.