Sign in to follow this  
Elirium

Inception

Most. Amazing. Movie. Ever.

Probably the deepest movie I've ever seen, too. I agree with Rhea though, the ending was just... I don't know.

BEST MOVIE EVER!

I was freaking out after the movie was finished. There was just no way to describe how much I loved that movie. It was not possible to express how I felt... so I freaked out.

And a comment about the better than Avatar thing. I would have to say yes, it is better than Avatar and that is saying something because I loved that movie a lot too.

Everything about Inception was great. I mean, it was confusing in the beginning, but if you payed attention, everything worked out in the end. Even the music was epic. I plan on getting the soundtrack as soon as I can find it. ^^

Ooooo can't wait - going to try to see it this weekend.

I watched it and it definitely made an impression, but I wouldn't compare it to Avatar. Two different genres that really don't have much to compare between them. I liked both for different reasons. But this thread is about Inception, so I won't go into blathering over some other movie.

What I really enjoyed was the exploration of lucid dreaming, but at the same time that's what bothered me. People can have some seriously crazy dreams and they didn't touch on that at all. I understand that for what they (the characters) were getting paid to do, they'd need to build a mundane dream that looks and feels like real life, but in the subconscious...?

Their rendition of the subconscious is boring. For a place with unlimited potential and an eternity to create, that's all they could come up with? Seriously? Mine would be filled with fantastical creatures, rolling hills, diverse forested valleys, mountains, underground caverns, crystal palaces in the sky...

Please let me be the Architect. PLEASE LET ME DO IT.

Edited by Lythiaren

Best ****ing movie for a long time. Seriously outstanding.... definitely going to see it again when I have more money.

Just saw it. Extremely creative and thought-provoking!

The disappointing part was that my friend came along to see it with me, but she was bored, confused, and completely disinterested (getting up 3 times to go to the restroom and to buy snacks).

After the movie was over, I excitedly wanted to discuss and theorize the movie, but her only comment was that it was "too violent." *facepalm*

Edited by Leidarendi

I just saw it the other day too. It was visually interesting, as well interesting as in story and plot. I think the 3D aspect would of brought more to it, but oh well.

I believe they could of gone a lot further in their "science", though what was there was good too.

Now, visually, as what Lythiaren said, you can't compare it to Avatar. There's no possible way. Avatar was both visually exciting, action-packed, and also a love story. Inception brought only certain aspects to us, though all-in-all it was still great.

I really don't think it's legit to compare it to Avatar, they are both completely different genres. That's like comparing Percy Jackson to Sherlock Holmes.

Some people actually like films that provide thought-provoking entertainment, rather than settling for computer-generated eye candy.

What do y'all think about a 3-D version of Inception? I for one would want to see that.

Nolan has proclaimed that 3D movies are a cheap way how to entertain an unthinking audience.

Anyway. Saw it on Wednesday evening. It was very, very enjoyable, even if a bit quick, and has a high potential of landing in the list of my all-time favourite movies.

As the end titles rolled, I was one of the people sitting in the chair with my jaw slightly hanging, only being able to utter a "Yeah..."

Edited by lightbird

the ending is the single greatest F.U in the whole movie realm, but if you ask me... it was falling (that doesnt really give it away in my opinion.)

the ending is the single greatest F.U in the whole movie realm, but if you ask me... it was falling (that doesnt really give it away in my opinion.)

SPOILER: I also thought the totem was beginning to swing as it were about to fall soon.

Edited by lightbird

getting a bit close to spoilers there dude/girl. (didnt check the gender thingy under the pic)

Saw it on Thursday. Loved it.

Very, very nice, although the world they created was very, very pathetic.

At least, the demonstration ones.

If you can create whatever you want, why not have a world filled with bubbles - censorkip.gif, made of bubbles!

Or something.

Saw it on Thursday. Loved it.

Very, very nice, although the world they created was very, very pathetic.

At least, the demonstration ones.

If you can create whatever you want, why not have a world filled with bubbles - censorkip.gif, made of bubbles!

Or something.

Possibly because they were practicing creating realistic worlds that could fool someone into thinking they weren't actually asleep? I imagine the movie would've had a slightly different tone if they decided to spend screentime with Ariadne tooling around creating just any subconscious dream world.

I've found a fairly awesome graphic that gives a neat explanation of what happened in the movie. biggrin.gifHere Be Spoilers.

you do realise thats its just plain wrong for anyone to think up a theory and say "this is what it is no arguments", right? not acusing anyone of anything here but im just saying.

Well, I loved it.

That third dream world, with all the snow...awesome!

I love snow. And stars.

Y'know...all that jazz.

I especially loved that dude-whose-name-I-don't-remember-who-turned-into-a-woman-at-one-point.

He was pretty cool. ^^

Of course. The whole movie is purely interpretive. What's real and what's a dream is very much left to the viewer to decide. That's clearly Nolan's intent, and it leaks through in every aspect of writing, design and craft.

Spoileriffic: The editing strongly suggests that the whole thing could be a dream, given many of Cobb's early statements regarding the nature of the dream experience (we don't remember how we got from point A to point B, etc.). Ariadne's name is fairly explicitly metaphorical-she plays the same role her mythological namesake does, right down to leading Cobb through the 'labyrinth' to his 'minotaur'. The audience is even granted their own little 'kick' at the end of the credits, in the form of the Edith Piaf song used as a cue earlier in the film.

That's the beauty of it. It's so well crafted that it lends itself to myriad perfectly valid interpretations. I liked the deliberate ambiguities that litter the film. They really transform what could have been a middle of the road summer popcorn fest into a thought provoking piece of work. Inception has solidified Christopher Nolan as one of my favorite directors, period.

I don't get why people are coming in here and sh*tting all over the dream worlds they made in this film. You do know a good film doesn't just have to be about what it looks like? In my opinion a good film is something you can completely enjoy just as much on some sh*tty little black-n-white box television as you can on the big cinema screen, because no matter what screen you watch it on, the plot, dialogue and acting are unchanged. That is my idea of a good film.

If you need something that offers a lot of visual stimulation in order to be entertaining then that's fine, but don't go blasting off over other films that aren't made in the same vein as those that you personally adore. It's actually really pissing me off that people have come into this thread and started waffling about Avatar. I'm over Avatar and I accept that some people are totally in love with it (I admit, it was quite a pretty thing to watch), but come the f*ck on bridgets, what the hell does Avatar have to do with Inception? Inception is a superior example of well thought out, intellectual film-making. It's a masterpiece and all those who worked on it should be extremely proud of it (and I'm sure they are).

I am stumped that there are people in here down-talking the aesthetics of the film. You've completely missed the point. This is not a film about who has the wackiest dreams, it's not a competition to see if the Architect can invent the most mind-blowing scenery you've ever seen. It is, if you boil it down to the barest bones, a film about very real human fears of facing personal demons. It's about the pain of love and loss. It deals with an important issue that I believe everyone will face at some point in their lives - that you should never lose sight of the distinction between reality and fantasy, even if it means letting go of something you love so much you're frightened you can't live without it, or forgiving yourself for something you're sure you shouldn't be forgiven for.

It's a truly outstanding film. So what if there are people who don't like it, I certainly don't expect everyone to love it. But seriously, don't come in here and ruin the designated thread for Inception discussion by complaining that 'it's not as good as Avatar IMO', I mean come on, really. Go to the Avatar thread if that's what you want to talk about.

I know, right?

It's good, though. And I agree, for the most part. ^^

Amen to that, Bramblyhuck. Let's leave the "who has the wackiest dreams" for pseudointellectiuals.

There are plenty of movies, TV shows, music videos, etc. that explore the subconscious in suitably wacky and unusual ways. Inception's understated approach was wonderfully fresh in that fashion (if you can call folding the world into a taco 'understated'). In short, thumbs up to Bramblyhuck (who apparently also has fantastic taste in modern westerns biggrin.gif).

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to watching it. smile.gif

I don't get why people are coming in here and sh*tting all over the dream worlds they made in this film. You do know a good film doesn't just have to be about what it looks like? In my opinion a good film is something you can completely enjoy just as much on some sh*tty little black-n-white box television as you can on the big cinema screen, because no matter what screen you watch it on, the plot, dialogue and acting are unchanged. That is my idea of a good film.

If you need something that offers a lot of visual stimulation in order to be entertaining then that's fine, but don't go blasting off over other films that aren't made in the same vein as those that you personally adore. It's actually really pissing me off that people have come into this thread and started waffling about Avatar. I'm over Avatar and I accept that some people are totally in love with it (I admit, it was quite a pretty thing to watch), but come the f*ck on bridgets, what the hell does Avatar have to do with Inception? Inception is a superior example of well thought out, intellectual film-making. It's a masterpiece and all those who worked on it should be extremely proud of it (and I'm sure they are).

I am stumped that there are people in here down-talking the aesthetics of the film. You've completely missed the point. This is not a film about who has the wackiest dreams, it's not a competition to see if the Architect can invent the most mind-blowing scenery you've ever seen. It is, if you boil it down to the barest bones, a film about very real human fears of facing personal demons. It's about the pain of love and loss. It deals with an important issue that I believe everyone will face at some point in their lives - that you should never lose sight of the distinction between reality and fantasy, even if it means letting go of something you love so much you're frightened you can't live without it, or forgiving yourself for something you're sure you shouldn't be forgiven for.

It's a truly outstanding film. So what if there are people who don't like it, I certainly don't expect everyone to love it. But seriously, don't come in here and ruin the designated thread for Inception discussion by complaining that 'it's not as good as Avatar IMO', I mean come on, really. Go to the Avatar thread if that's what you want to talk about.

tl;dr

But I can tell just by skimming over it that your speech is awesome.

I haven't watched Inception.. YET.

Sign in to follow this