angelicdragonpuppy

Same-Name Eggs ( Descriptions )

Does giving the same name to different eggs add anything to the game?  

488 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

-Breed your spitfires! The more bred spitfire eggs, the fewer CB spitfire eggs, and thus the better everyone's chances of getting a CB stripe. Breed your spitfires and abandon them to the AP, better yet, raise them to hatchlinghood and abandon them or freeze and release them. If you catch an ER spitfire egg, make sure it survives long enough to be a hatchling, and then put it back on the AP, or freeze it, or freeze and release it. Anything to make sure it gets counted as a spitfire in the ratios.

-Don't breed your stripes as much! If you're working on a specific lineage project involving stripes, then by all means continue, but if you normally breed your stripes every week for no specific reason, consider stopping or at least breeding them less. If you've got a stripe/metallic pair, consider switching the stripe out for something else, to reduce the number of stripe eggs you produce. The fewer bred stripes, the more CB stripes. If you've got multiple different lineage projects, consider working on your other projects for now and putting your stripes project on the back burner.

This is about all people can do. Bring back the Blacks worked, so it should work just as well with stripes, but it will be more difficult because the stripes share a description now.

Wait, spitfires and stripes have the same egg description?

/never seen/had a CB stripe

The strange eggs (skywings, ochres, horses, and before frills) i've come to accept- they are all fairly common and so it isn't terribly difficult to get whichever you are after, though most of the time you have to go through a few to get the one you want. not something i think is fun- am not interested in getting 'surprised' when i am egghunting; usually i am after something specific and it is annoying when i get locked with something else.

And with stripes being as uncommon (i want to say that CBs are rare- hardly ever seen one in the cave) as they are it'll be hell trying to catch one... and i've only managed to get one CB stripe (and i'll admit i traded for that one) and want at least one more, though ideally i'd want 2 males and 2 females...

i don't want to think about how many spitfires one would have to go through to get one stripe...

alci Posted on Jul 15 2010, 03:36 PM

Well maybe one could make a slight change in either Spitfire or Stripe description - for instance "This egg has brightly colored markings on it" for Spitfire and "This egg has brightly colored stripes on it" for Stripes.

In that way, you'll still have to be carefull to not mistake one for the other (a bit like Water and Water Walkers), but you still have the possibility to either recognize the Stripe instead of having to go through a gazillion Spitfires - and wait five times as many hours to abandon them - before you get one.

And to those who say "it's not that long time" - perhaps not. But if you're not on DC 24/7, it's pretty annoying to have to "burn" your time by locking yourself with something you don't want, if you only have perhaps 30 minutes to hunt in. And like I said, if chance is fair to get the right egg (like 33 % for each of the "strange marking") it's ok, but if chance is perhaps 0.1 % to get a Stripe, it's idiocy.

i think this might be a good idea- make the descriptions slightly different. and i think 5 hours is a long time, like several people have said- not everyone can sit hours on end on DC... ... ... though i'll admit that most days i can lol tongue.gif but it's not something i find amusing or fun to do- waiting to be able to abandon eggs i mean.

I really feel sorry about the eggs I abandoned, but I just can't help hating this sort of thing!! I don't wanna even recall the days I was hunting of cb skywing, a month wasted and get nothing but horses and ochres, how desperate it could be...Luckily I don't need skywings or stripes anymore.

But I still think it’s a kind of unfair to the eggs sharing this description, unfair for both the eggs and the people hunting for them

I don't hunt at the Cave much anymore, what with my slow server.

I do spend time at the AP though. When eggs are given the same description, although it may be frustrating for those hunting at the cave for a specific egg, it can be great for those of us at the AP. Now I have a chance to get a CB striped egg or CB Spitfire cast off my someone who didn't want it especially when the numbers of folks at the AP are less than 100. I couldn't be happier!

I don't hunt at the Cave much anymore, what with my slow server.

I do spend time at the AP though.  When eggs are given the same description, although it may be frustrating for those hunting at the cave for a specific egg, it can be great for those of us at the AP.  Now I have a chance to get a CB striped egg or CB Spitfire cast off my someone who didn't want it especially when the numbers of folks at the AP are less than 100.  I couldn't be happier!

Just thought I'd mention that there are tons of Spitfires in the Cave and they very often sit there for a while, so it wouldn't be hard to snag yourself some.

But, speaking for myself, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for people to toss CB Stripes away, lol, they've just been made even harder to find than CB Blacks, and are necessary for a lot of lineage breeding.

Edit: does it need to be pointed out that fewer bred short-gen Stripes will land on the AP as a result of this, since they'll be more valued as gifts and more valuable as trades?

Each action spreads a widening pool of further alteration...

Edited by Syphoneira

I'd say that, I'm fine with the commons having the same description..... That doesn't bother me... Sure, it's a bit annoying, but hey, they aren't that difficult to get really with patience.

However, I LOVE striped dragons... And I always used to get excited when I saw that description in the cave. But now.... I don't feel like taking the chance anymore... I'd rather not spend all my time trying to gamble for an egg that's extremely rare in the first place. It's not that I can't wait 5 hours, it's just, that egg spot being taken up over and over again for 5 hours over and over and over again is rather annoying. Especially since the ratios are screwed up as it is.

I think that, if we at least wanna make it a challenge, we should either alter the descriptions a bit, that way it might trick people, but if they're tricked, it's their own fault.

Just my input on the situation.....

I think they should make it so no eggs have the same description. It is just confusing to pick up an egg wanting a stripe and then you get a spitfire. It just confuses people left and right.

Edited by scm7271999

I don't like it. I just think it's like getting tricked.

OH AND BTW.....

*morphs into phoenix and licks scm7271999* We Have DONUTS!!!

We don't mind a challenge, but we want an honest challenge; we don't like being tricked or deceived into clicking something we don't want, and then we especially don't like having to hold onto the unwanted egg for 5 hours.

This. Exactly this. I prefer to have some of my own skill determine if I get something, whether it's refreshing at exactly the right rate or being able to read "This egg has brightly colored stripes on it," tell the difference from "This egg has brightly colored markings on it," remember that it's the egg I want, and click before someone else.

I know they aren't exactly real "skills"...but hey, gotta be proud of something, right? rolleyes.gif

i dont like it. ive been trying forever to get a CB skywing to breed 2nd gen blunas and i get locked in no time at all with FOUR ochdrake eggs. ive pretty much given up on finding one, but every so often i do try and pray my face off that its a skywing

I think having multiple eggs with the same description is not a good thing. All it does is bring drama because everyone wants to make sure that is the egg they pick up. One of the reasons why Frills were discontinued was because so many people complained that they kept getting Frills when they were after Skywings on the cave page.

I find egg lotteries really annoying. It just seems to create too many drama llamas about how they hate the most common sprite, even if it is pretty. Making the descriptions slightly different works for me, because then you have to pay attention to what you click, but it is a fair challenge. Challenges are good, torturing players by tricking them into clicking an unwanted egg that they can't abandon right away is not fair. *waves edit egg descriptions flag*

This is about all people can do. Bring back the Blacks worked, so it should work just as well with stripes, but it will be more difficult because the stripes share a description now.

Honestly, though, I don't think "Bring back the Blacks" worked - I just think it happened to be started at the same time as TJ tweaked the ratios (cf previous remarks) and caused a spur of Blacks (and Metallics) in the cave for about a month or two around the beginning of this year.

The number of people joining "Bring back the Blacks" were only a tine fraction of the site members and hardly were the ones who are "criminal", i.e. breed their 17th generation multiple inbreds Blacks and Metallics over and over again. Of course it doesn't hurt to set and example and raise the attention on the subject, but I think in the big picture, it's like a drop in the ocean.

I hate it. I refuse to pick up strange marking eggs from the cave. There is nothing "fun" about it. When your trying to find something specific it's enough to have to spend time refreshing the cave till you see what you want and actually catch it. Since many strange marking eggs are dumped in the AP I'd rather find them there and actually get what I want without taking a gamble. As for the new stripe/spitfire thing, stripes are so rare anyway, it's going to be nearly impossible to get a CB one now.

I don´t see how it is harder to get a stripe just because they share description with another breed. I would say it´s still the same chance as the ratios haven´t changed.

I don't mind the "strange marking" eggs, 'cause I never have an intrest in them anyway. But I hate the new "brightly colored markings" description. I love the spitfire dragons, but I hate that CB stripes, which were nearly impossible to get anyway, will be even harder to get now. dry.gif

I don't mind the "strange marking" eggs, 'cause I never have an intrest in them anyway. But I hate the new "brightly colored markings" description. I love the spitfire dragons, but I hate that CB stripes, which were nearly impossible to get anyway, will be even harder to get now. dry.gif

Please explain me why they should be harder to get? The ratios for striped are exactly the same as before so there are not more or fewer striped in the cave hence it has not become harder or easier to get one.

Honestly, though, I don't think "Bring back the Blacks" worked - I just think it happened to be started at the same time as TJ tweaked the ratios (cf previous remarks) and caused a spur of Blacks (and Metallics) in the cave for about a month or two around the beginning of this year.

The number of people joining "Bring back the Blacks" were only a tine fraction of the site members and hardly were the ones who are "criminal", i.e. breed their 17th generation multiple inbreds Blacks and Metallics over and over again. Of course it doesn't hurt to set and example and raise the attention on the subject, but I think in the big picture, it's like a drop in the ocean.

What alci said!

I had noticed that a lot of the people joining the Black project made comments along the lines of not having/breeding any Blacks anyway, or of not breeding one or a few CBs or short-gens, generally for specific purposes.

Very few said anything about not breeding a bunch of long-gen/inbred Blacks.

So that while it was a wonderful thing for raising awareness, I wouldn't think it had made that much difference to CB Black production either.

Also - a lot of us switched some of our Black/metallic breeding over to Stripes.....

Many of us do want to produce breds from our metallics that will be useful to someone, and that are not AP clogging breeds.

So what do we do?

Hi, Nalyua!

Newly Released eggs tend to be in abundance for some time, and their Drop rate will typically anyway exceed those of popular older eggs due to the number already on scrolls.

Stripes are uncommons many of us love, keeping the numbers already out, the ratios for them, pretty much maxed, and the odds of randomly catching a Stripe among the new ones is just about nil.

I certainly will no longer try hunting for Stripes (previously a perpetual occupation when on the Drops) under the shared name - it's too much like pointless frustratration.

Who has room for a perpetual 'hold' spot for wrong-egg pickups?

Not me, at any rate.

Hi, Nalyua!

Newly Released eggs tend to be in abundance for some time, and their Drop rate will typically anyway exceed those of popular older eggs due to the number already on scrolls.

Stripes are uncommons many of us love, keeping the numbers already out, the ratios for them, pretty much maxed, and the odds of randomly catching a Stripe among the new ones is just about nil.

I certainly will no longer try hunting for Stripes (previously a perpetual occupation when on the Drops) under the shared name - it's too much like pointless frustratration.

Who has room for a perpetual 'hold' spot for wrong-egg pickups?

Not me, at any rate.

I am not contradicting this, however I just wanted to remind that the ratios did not change and hence it´s not like the striped are replaced with the new eggs. To me most people sound as if the striped had vanished and the new dragons kicked in which is certainly not true.

I don´t see how it is harder to get a stripe just because they share description with another breed. I would say it´s still the same chance as the ratios haven´t changed.

It is harder because now you don't know when there is a Striped sitting there. If you click on every egg that you see in the cave with the "brightly markings" description, you'll end up locking yourself in no time for 5 hours each time. This not only means you'll be prevented from doing pretty much anything else in that time, you might also miss out on the actual stripes being there in that time window.

Of course, depending on your hunting habbits, this might or might not affect your chance of getting a stripe:

- IF you hunt 5 minutes, then wait 5 hours, then hunt 5 minutes, then wait 5 hours, etc. THEN your chance will not be effected - whether your scroll is open or logged in those 5 hour windows make no difference.

- IF you however hunt, say, and hour, and then wait 24 hours before your next hunt, your chance will be very much reduced, because you will be scroll locked within perhaps 5 minutes (I guess a good hunter could pick up 4 Spitfires easily within 5 minutes). This means that your hunting window is cut short there.

Thus, if (say) a Stripe drops in average 1 time each hour, the number of Stripes that will drop while your hunting will be reduced from (statistically) 1 to 0.08 (namely 1/12 corresponding to the stripe has to drop exactly within the 5 minute window of that hour where you're online), using the numbers above.

While these numbers are pure fiction, they just go to show that if you hunt (like I assume most of us do - I do at least) - rarely but for a significant amount of time, your chances will be greatly reduced - and that's not counting all the other annoyances of being locked with 4 eggs you don't want.

Yes and I never contradicted the fact that it is possible now to get another than the dragon you wanted, but in the way of ratios the striped are not harder or easier obtainable than before.

also if say 1 stripe per hour drops the chances are that you miss it because you dunno even do something silly as sratch your nose while it passes.

My first thought when I saw the Spitfire's description in the cave was "Man, people are going to end up hating this breed."

Like most people in this thread, I wish the descriptions were different, but since I'm not in charge of them, I have to find a way to work with the descriptions rather than let them frustrate me.

Stripes are my favorites. I'm always on the hunt for them in the cave and ap. Obviously, getting Spitfire after Spitfire when I really want a Stripe would be immensely frustrating.

My solution? I'm going to hoard Spitfires. Initially it'll be counterproductive to getting Stripes, as I'll be locked for a lot longer than 5 hours, but at least because I'm choosing to pick them up as Spitfires, I won't be feeling so frustrated, and if I do snag a Stripe it'll be a great surprise.

In six months or so, the Spitfire ratios will (hopefully) even out, and fewer people will want to pick them up (if the strange marking eggs are any indication) so I'll probably have better chances of getting a Stripe then. Stripes will still be really rare in the cave (though if breeding continues to be so poor, maybe not) but the people who are willing to make the gamble might have an ever so slightly better chance of getting them than they did right before the Spitfire release.

Of course, my assumptions could be entirely wrong and I may never see another CB Stripe again. But for now this seems to be the best solution for me personally to avoid too much frustration and resentment of the Spitfires.

If it came down to a vote, though, I'd still vote for the descriptions to be made different.

Edited by naturalcyber

I want my CB stripes, and I want to be able to say. "YES, CB STRIPE LET ME GRAB IT!!!!!"

Instead of: "mmm...Maybe, I should grab it...dunno...'"

I heard stripes are not coming around for awhile, that true????

You may have to catch more "colored marking" eggs, but I think stripes will actually be easier to catch now. So many people don't want to risk it... it's now much easier to get that particular description. I was under the impression that Stripes were common (Just overbred, skewing the ratios a bit.) so once the Spitfires get their ratio all evened out, it should be a 50/50 for a stripe or a spitfire.

I happen to adore the spitfires, so I'm cool with it.

(Though I would like a few more CB stripes before I start my various breeding programs. Also, I was a little worried when Spitfires came out that people would dislike stripes... apparently not an issue.)

Yes and I never contradicted the fact that it is possible now to get another than the dragon you wanted, but in the way of ratios the striped are not harder or easier obtainable than before.

also if say 1 stripe per hour drops the chances are that you miss it because you dunno even do something silly as sratch your nose while it passes.

Nalyua, I'm not trying to be rude, but I don't see how you're having trouble understanding this.

Let's say I want a CB stripe. Let's also say that stripes do not share a description with any common dragons. Let's say I've got 3 hours of free time. So I hunt the cave, looking for a CB stripe. In all that time, I might not see any CB stripes...in which case, I wouldn't be clicking on anything and I wouldn't be filling up my scroll (unless I see a CB black or CB metallic, in which case of course I'd click). But maybe I do see a CB stripe or two. Depending on lag and on how my computer is doing at the time, I stand a decent chance of catching it. So at the end of that time frame, there are several possibilities: 1. I have a CB stripe. 2. I saw a CB stripe, but couldn't catch it. 3. I never saw any CB stripes, and thus couldn't catch one.

But regardless of which outcome it is, they all have one thing in common--I didn't get locked up with unwanted eggs which prevented me from hunting. I actually got to hunt for the entire 3 hours, which I consider to be a good thing. Because after all, if I had gotten locked up with spitfires during the first 10 minutes of my hunting time, and then a CB stripe appeared two hours later, I wouldn't be able to even try to catch it.

Now let's say I want a CB stripe, but stripes do share a description with spitfires. Let's say I've still got 3 hours which I'd like to devote to hunting stripes. But when I'm hunting the cave, I can't possibly tell what's a stripe and what's a spitfire, so I end up locking myself with spitfires in the first 10 minutes. So, my 3 hours of time that I had set aside for trying to catch a stripe is spoiled, unless I can EQ those spitfires away, but even if I do that I might just get locked up with more spitfires. The point is, if a CB stripe appeared, I probably wouldn't be able to even try catching it because my scroll is clogged with spitfires.

Everyone understands your point that stripes are probably not dropping in any fewer or greater numbers than before. But because people are getting themselves locked with spitfires, their chances of catching a stripe is diminished...because they are locking themselves with spitfires, and thus unable to try grabbing whatever stripes might appear. Yes, for one lucky soul in a blue moon, they might manage to grab a "brightly colored markings" egg and have it turn out to be a stripe. But for every one person who is lucky, there will be dozens of others who lock themselves up with spitfires time after time after time and have their playing time spoiled because they can't play anymore because they're locked.

If stripes didn't share a description, many of the people who want CB stripes still wouldn't be able to get them anyway (at least not anytime soon), simply because they are so rare. But at least those people would have the option of doing something else with their scroll once their playing time is up, rather than being stuck with things they don't want.

For instance, if I was hunting stripes and I hunted them for 3 straight hours and didn't catch one, at the end of that time I could run to the AP and grab some hatchlings or some low-time eggs that I might need/want and not walk away feeling totally empty-handed. But if I'm tricked into grabbing 4 eggs that I don't want, I can't do anything else. So I pretty much walk away empty-handed, because as soon as I get to play again I'm probably just going to toss those eggs and hunt for stripes again. So, the spitfires sharing the stripes' description basically slows down anyone's ability to raise anything new or make progress on their scroll goals if that person badly needs CB stripes.

For many of us, our schedules don't allow us to hunt DC for 10 minutes every five hours. For many of us, maybe we can only hunt DC once a day, but for an hour or a few hours at a time. For people like us, the stripes' shared description is a huge blow, because if we actually take the risk and grab "brightly colored markings" eggs from the cave, chances are we'll end up with nothing we want and no closer to making any progress towards anything. Our DC time is spoiled for the whole day and we've got nothing to show for it.