tazgal123

Discontinued Dragons

I'd bring back the Frill... but I think it's more important to keep in mind why the Frill was pulled.

Quite honestly, it was what people were asking for, either directly or in implications, up until it happened and everyone realized 'we done goofed'.

I'd rather leave things as they were and hope people remember to honor each breed of dragon fully, as well as all the work everyone put into them. And if you want to get mad at them getting pulled... I'm pretty sure you can't look that far back on the forums, but it was nasty. No breed of dragon is worthless, nothing more than a blocker. We have far more breeds now, and you rarely see a single non-Christmas breed blocking off the entire AP on its own... but it was like that once, and people got very... insistent about how to deal with them.

Right now, if the AP was filled with a wall of old pinks (or new pinks; before BSAs, few wanted Pinks or purples) or Frills, there would be a mad scramble. Around the time, there were solid walls, and people considered them a nuisance.

Currently, I notice that... let's see. Spitfires have gone a little faster lately, but Waterwalkers and Waterhorses go pretty slowly. Sunstones, maybe, or possibly they're Moonstones too, do the same. You might go to the cave and groan when you see the same eggs over and over again, holding off whatever goodies may lay behind them.

Consider that in a month or two, it's going to be different breeds holding things up. And consider that if they're retired, in a month or two, people would be going after those breeds like Hollies if they had a chance to.

The Bright Pinks were phased out and had plenty of forewarning; honestly, I much prefer that than the more obvious solution of turning all the old pinks to new pinks and adding a male. Sad for new users, yes, but it's also kind of a... not trophy, but reminder for old ones too. (The funny thing is, for whatever reason, I didn't take advantage of this and don't have a complete collection of their sprites, and still only have one adult.)

I'm probably painting myself as way too calm here, and I'm really not - I was one of the people that threw a hissy over the alt sweetlings, which I now regret, and also over the Snow Angel fiasco. But I like to think I've learned to look upon things in a more... detached sense. Old users having old dragons is sort of like spriters having spriter alts. Sort of. A tribute to the old times, I guess.

Edited by Dianacat777

I'd bring back the Frill... but I think it's more important to keep in mind why the Frill was pulled.

Quite honestly, it was what people were asking for, either directly or in implications, up until it happened and everyone realized 'we done goofed'.

I'd rather leave things as they were and hope people remember to honor each breed of dragon fully, as well as all the work everyone put into them. And if you want to get mad at them getting pulled... I'm pretty sure you can't look that far back on the forums, but it was nasty. No breed of dragon is worthless, nothing more than a blocker. We have far more breeds now, and you rarely see a single non-Christmas breed blocking off the entire AP on its own... but it was like that once, and people got very... insistent about how to deal with them.

Right now, if the AP was filled with a wall of old pinks (or new pinks; before BSAs, few wanted Pinks or purples) or Frills, there would be a mad scramble. Around the time, there were solid walls, and people considered them a nuisance.

Currently, I notice that... let's see. Spitfires have gone a little faster lately, but Waterwalkers and Waterhorses go pretty slowly. Sunstones, maybe, or possibly they're Moonstones too, do the same. You might go to the cave and groan when you see the same eggs over and over again, holding off whatever goodies may lay behind them.

Consider that in a month or two, it's going to be different breeds holding things up. And consider that if they're retired, in a month or two, people would be going after those breeds like Hollies if they had a chance to.

The Bright Pinks were phased out and had plenty of forewarning; honestly, I much prefer that than the more obvious solution of turning all the old pinks to new pinks and adding a male. Sad for new users, yes, but it's also kind of a... not trophy, but reminder for old ones too. (The funny thing is, for whatever reason, I didn't take advantage of this and don't have a complete collection of their sprites, and still only have one adult.)

I'm probably painting myself as way too calm here, and I'm really not - I was one of the people that threw a hissy over the alt sweetlings, which I now regret, and also over the Snow Angel fiasco. But I like to think I've learned to look upon things in a more... detached sense. Old users having old dragons is sort of like spriters having spriter alts. Sort of. A tribute to the old times, I guess.

I had no idea. That's a waaaay more detailed explanation than what I had thought! Ahhh yes there was an Alt Sweetling and Snow Angel Fiasco? Why? They were all simply alts what about them would make people mad?

I thoroughly agree! I wish I'd gotten more frills and old pinks when I had the chance, but back then I only collected one of each adult sprite so there was no need to get more, and it was also before lineages so my one old pink isn't CB, sadly.

But, I much prefer having the old sprites still on our scrolls instead of just replacing them with new sprites. I really liked the old gold sprite and I'm sorry that they are just gone now.

But, it does help me to remember that every dragon is special, even if it's a common "blocker" at the moment.

Edited by PolarVortex

I had no idea. That's a waaaay more detailed explanation than what I had thought! Ahhh yes there was an Alt Sweetling and Snow Angel Fiasco? Why? They were all simply alts what about them would make people mad?

With the snow angels... this was before spriter alts, or rather, it was the first instance of spriter alts. More important, this was the first time that not every variant, alt, et cetera, was available to players (as in, you could no longer catch em' all). People were initially whining about how they got the variant they didn't want; the white-gold and tricolor were mostly more favored, but honestly, it seemed like everyone got precisely the color they didn't want. Or if they got the color they wanted, well...

People figured out the mechanics behind what type your scroll was slated to get, and that's when the real can of worms opened. TJ made a new algorithm, and people's snow angels changed. People got mad. I went from gold to white gold, which... has grown on me, but at the time it was my least favorite. People who had sprites they liked lost them (The people who got sprites they liked were happy and thus not vocal about it, and the few that were were often attacked by angry people that were, put bluntly, jealous of their luck). People who didn't care either way were just confused. People who thought that the color was random didn't freeze hatchlings and then had to wait until next year to correct that mistake. And people were angry that their sprites had been forced to change because so what if they figured out how sprite colors were selected, it's not like they can manipulate it, and then the mod who had been sharing that knowledge was punished by TJ and people got angry because how was ___ supposed to know it was wrong, so on from there.

With the sweetlings... I was on vacation for that release, so I can't honestly remember what the bug was. But there had been some sort of glitch that affected the first people who'd gotten sweetlings. In apology, TJ made everyone who was affected by the glitch get black sweetlings.

Which was pretty awesome of him, honestly... but then a considerable amount of everyone else, myself unfortunately included, got mad because we wanted those alts and they weren't available to us because we hadn't been on at the time, hadn't been fast enough, et cetera. And it was... well, in retrospect, where was TJ supposed to walk the line? Fix the glitch and leave it there, people are going to whine at him for letting it happen. Fix the glitch and give compensations, people are going to whine about how they weren't rewarded for other glitches they suffered, or how this looks cooler and it's not available to everyone*, et cetera.

*what foremost comes to mind is the time Black Dragons bred broken images, which turned into Neglected eggs after a while, and then all get turned back, which made people sad. By such a 'double standard', it wasn't fair that some people got benefits from glitches and others didn't.

Basically, 'you can never please everyone' ramped up to eleven on both.

I've... never really been on good terms with TJ, but looking back, his job here is an incredibly frustrating one and I certainly couldn't have done a better job. There were never any good options; whatever he does is going to please some and piss others off.

I've taken up modding with Bethesda's construction kits lately, and that's pretty much Coding For Dummies. And I still have huge amounts of trial and error, tons of things that look like they should work but fall apart in practice. We complain about the occasional glitch and downtime. But if TJ does this whole site on his own... step back and apppreciate the sheer amount of code that is. And the algorithms; the breed balance ratios, neglecteds, whatever sprite alts go on, etc. I've been detached for the past two years, seldom stopping in, but DC was never a very grateful or patient community - at least, not when I truly frequented it. So I have to sympathize with the harder decisions made, and back on topic, retiring the Frills was one of them - but while I can't speak for Lyth, I get the sense she was proving a point when she withdrew them. Like showing us where our attitude actually brought us, or something. Dunno. But if you could see the boards from that time... you'd understand that it was justified. I guess now, you'll just have to take an old-timer's words for it.

Edited by Dianacat777

I remember this!

Frills were SO frustrating. They were the most cave-blocking blocker, from what I remember. When people started saying that they were going to be discontinued (I think that's what happened, not sure though) I panicked and picked a random one off the AP. Of course, I didn't believe that they were actually going to be taken out of the cave, so I didn't bother checking the lineage, and in all honesty this was back when I didn't give a censorkip.gif about what my dragons ancestry was.

That's one of my biggest DC regrets, too. Even though I did get a frill, it would have been a lot better for me if I'd gotten a CB.

I remember how, in the cave, all of the 'This egg has strange markings on it' eggs were going by so quickly in a panic to get a frill tongue.gif

Like people have been saying, this is going to happen again. Lets take Deep Seas for an example. They're a pretty bad blocker, and not many people want then to take egg space on their scroll. But in 6 months from now, they could very well be discontinued, and 2nd gens from them would be something to trade silvers for, while now it's not worth one hatchling~

So yeah, it's one of my fears that this will happen again and I won't get a cave born of the next-to-be discontinued breed.

On another note, I missed all the holiday releases after the Ribbon-Dancers, and all of the cave-borns of those are impossible to obtain now. I'm pretty pissed that I didn't (couldn't) get a CB Shadow Walker, because those have pretty much taken the Electric's place as my favorite dragon.

I was there when they were discontinued too. I don't know which one I would pick if they were to be released again... I like both.

I remember the incredible negativity against frills, because they were irritating blockers and people considered them to be plain or ugly and just not interesting enough to collect. I remember feeling sorry for them, and that's how I ended up with my CB pair and froze a hatchie. In retrospect, I'm so glad I did that, now my frill pair is very precious to me. I was sad when they were pulled because I felt like the whiners had won, and I felt bad for the spriter, how hurt she must have felt to decide such a measure was necessary. I didn't appreciate the frills though until they had become unavailable, and I read more articles about how they were such great parents etc. Overall it's a bittersweet feeling. I think the situation was very bad and the DC community did deserve a wake up call. I hope people will remember this in the future.

As for the old pinks, they were a sprite that I really liked. At the time no one cared about lineages so all 3 of mine have hideous messy lineages, which of course now I regret but what can I do ? Back then no one cared. In a way it's a reminder of how things were. I didn't understand why people hated the sprite, I loved it. Elegant and poised and full of character. I wish the old pinks could have coexisted with the new ones, but again, there was a lot of sprite bashing so the change was deserved. I'm just glad that I have my 3 girls smile.gif When it was announced that they were discontinued, I bred mine and gifted as much as I could to spread the love.

The holidays... I was away for a lot of them. The ones I really regret missing are the winter magis, the shadow walkers and the black marrows. I don't know how I'm going to go about getting them :/

About the snow angels fiasco, I was not really a part of it. I didn't participate in the finding out your scroll number thing because I was too much of a noob I think, and I didn't really mind the colours being switched. I have the white wings with gold tips. Not my favorite, but still very nice, so I didn't complain.

I wasn't here when the dragons got discontinued nor was I here for the Snow Angels/Sweetlings/Marrows/Pumpkins. And believe me, I hate myself for not being here. I missed a lot of holiday dragons. So I don't know how everything played out back then, but I managed to raise one old pink and two frills before they were discontinued and I am very grateful I did at that time. I am never leaving DC like that again, it only causes more pain in terms of missed opportunities.

...I felt bad for the spriter, how hurt she must have felt to decide such a measure was necessary.

This, exactly.

I dunno, but wasn't there a rumor around the forums that the bps are merely on a hiatus? And that dove has plans for them? So really the only truely retired breed is the frill.

Not to bring up old drama again, but I would prefer not to have the frills back thank you very much. Not wanting to revisit all the emo drama surrounding them.

About the snowangels, if you want the entire thing check out the dragcave wiki. it's all there. I can say one thing, the entire truth

Edited by bluebell_rose

Just a thought, but what if frills were temporarily re-released. Like... for a day or so at a time. That way they don't become the huge problem they were before and people who don't have them can grab them.

Just a thought, but what if frills were temporarily re-released. Like... for a day or so at a time. That way they don't become the huge problem they were before and people who don't have them can grab them.

Releasing them for only one day would cause even more drama, in my opinion.

Everyone would be scrambling to get them, and there'd be complaints of "No fair, I wasn't there that day!"

In addition, those who requested a CB frill as an honorable mention prize would wonder why they picked them as they could have simply waited for the re-release, and should have picked something else like a Holly instead.

There'd be complaints from those who didn't get them, from those who had them before the re-release, from those who won them as prizes, and all sorts of other drama.

If Frills were to be re-released it would have to be permanently, and with some sort of special compensation for those who won them as an honorable mention for the two Christmas contests.

I would love a Frill re-release, personally, especially since I am dying to see what the mall Frill was going to look like with dimorphism, and because they were my favorite dragon. Heck, I'd settle for if they were breedable to produce bred Frills.

That said, right now they are accepted as "retired," and sometimes it's better to leave mistakes in the past.

I have only joined recently, but i still cant choose between the two dragons. I would like there to be a special period of the year or something where they filled the cave, but would still be fine if they were breedable. I am always annoyed when i see someone with a frill or bright pink because i can never get them. But i have seen the frill sprite and they are my favorite. I tried to see where i could get one... But no. I cant get one. And i was a bit confused as to why there has not been at least a way for new people to get the discontinued breeds.

I'd bring back the Frills as uncommon. There's been many changes to the cave since they left, and I think they'd fit in just fine if they returned.

There's biomes now so the ratios are better, they wouldn't clog up the entire cave like they used to. They'd probably be confined to the forest and/or jungle.

Less eggs with their description in the same biome means they wouldn't be so annoying if you wanted a Skywing/Horse/Ochredrake, and I think the newer users would love them (getting them out of the way of people who still hate them). Most of the problems that made the Frills so hated have been fixed, but now they're just a reminder not to whine about commons.

Edit: Really glad I was wrong, and that a rerelease is actually being considered. Even if it doesn't happen, I'm still glad it's was considered.

Edited by alupe99a

I personally loved both of these breeds. Okay, I'll admit, they did have some cave-blocking issues and weren't exactly the most visually appealing of sprites, but....there was just a sort of novelty feel about them, like they were going to be old treasures that people always loved. And while I personally wasn't around to witness all the drama and people going against them, I felt sad to see them go. To this day, my biggest regret is not grabbing more Frills, or at least one BP. Because I was under the mentality that 'oh, they're so common that I'll have plenty of time to gather up more of them'.

Whoops.

I agree that they should maybe be brought back for a short time, but under the right kind of setting. Maybe when the site reaches an important milestone or something (like an anniversary, etc.)? I mean, having them as raffle prizes and everything is fun, but it doesn't really seem fair that it's the only chance people have at nabbing them, especially when you have a lower chance of actually winning in said raffle. Or maybe they could be re-released with a new level of rarity? That would seem like a happy compromise to me. And the new biomes could mean that they won't be clogging up the main cave as much as their previous run.

Then again, it could bring up a lot of the old drama, so....it's definitely a sort of 'weigh the pros and cons and see if it's really worth it' type of situation. I mean, I personally don't really care whether they're retired or not, but it'd be nice to maybe give them a little bit of a second chance in the cave.

(Keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion and that I am not intentionally trying to offend anyone through stating it.)

Edited by azila

frills were pulled because someone overreacted

I miss Frills. I was actually on hiatus when they were discontinued, but I have a few on my scroll. Two are CB, I think.

They were my first new release. I love their sprites and now because of something I wasn't around for I can't get frozen hatchlings, can't hoard them the way I hoard Nocturnes, can't do anything meaningful with lineages.

A close friend of mine still rages because he joined shortly after Frills were pulled.

Bright Pinks are something I wish I'd paid more attention to- I only have one and her lineage isn't exactly the best.

Edited by Kiryu

I also missed the discontinuation of the Bright Pinks and Frills... Or perhaps I didn't notice.... I wasn't on the forums at the time and it wasn't too long after I joined, I think. Back when I simply collected dragons as I felt like it. The idea that people would get so annoyed about cave blockers to the point of pushing someone to removing their dragon from the Cave, that still horrifies me, and I hope such an incident never happens again. sad.gif I love both sprites, and I fortunately tended to hunt in the cave rather than the AP, so I have a single CB female of both breeds...as well as a messy, inbred Frill who I love just as much as the CB, because, honestly, they're gorgeous sprites and I am sad they are gone now.

I hope with all my heart, that people learned their lesson, about what can happen if you push someone too far. Judging by other, later, incidents that have happened, I don't know if that's really the case... But I hope one day this community will see how much better it is to play for fun, make friends, accept glitches and changes as they come, and be grateful toward TJ, who makes it all happen, and the spriters, whose hard work and effort to bring us beautiful new sprites is not always appreciated the way it should be. smile.gif

Hmmmm.....to pick between an 'bright' Pink and a Frill??? I love both dragons about the same, so it's actually really hard to choose which I'd bring back. I suppose if I had to bring one of the two back, it'd be Pinks, because they make for some really cool breeding partners with other dragons.

And while gone is most certainly gone for good, a 'memorial' day release of the discontinued breeds would be fun, even if it just meant they would breed true for a day. Can't imagine what those would trade for the next day... blink.gif

I would love this. Next to vines, pillows and mints they are my favourite sprite. I wish I had joined in time to get at least one of them. If I ever win the raffle where you can choose any egg as a prize, I'd definitely ask for a frill.

And if there was a memorial day *Please TJ? rolleyes.gif * they would probably trade easily for a 2nd gen prize from a spriter's alt, together with a cheese and cb gold. (maybe even more.)

If a memorial happens I will not miss that for anything in the world.

I remember one of my first posts was on a trading form asking for a frill. I saw one of them on my dragons lineage and immediately set out for one. Obviously I got shut down fast when the thread mod or someone PMed me that they were not available and they were discontinued. I was really embarrassed at that and avoided the forums for awhile... (Handled that one like a pro xd.png )

I would defiantly bring back the frills over the bright pinks simply because of my experience at trying to get one. It really saddens me at how people acted towards the frills back then... The worst thing is I probably would have done it too sad.gif . Although I wouldn't have been so vocal about it... (REALLY SHY) I probably would have just sulked about it...

*Trying So Hard To Win A Raffle*

Edited by cfipooh

I joined after the bright pinks were discontinued, but I did manage to get a CB Frill before they were discontinued. She is muh bebeh. I'd love for the Frills to come back. They are really nice looking in lineages smile.gif

the frills

they have such wonderful sprites and are really cool

bright pinks are ok but they just aren't as cool as frilled dragons

I "collected" Frills Back In The Day when they were caveblockers, just to help unblock the cave, so I have a few on my scroll (six), but I disliked Bright Pinks and refused to collect any. now I kind of regret not picking up at least one BP, since I don't dislike them nearly as much as I did and they have rarity value, but I love Rose Pinks and have a page full of them (plus that BSA is SUPER AWESOME).

my current "will not collect" are dinosaurs and Balloons. if any of them get discontinued, I may change my mind someday... but I doubt it. tongue.gif

I loved Frills, but sadly released most of mine shortly before they got discontinued. At least I managed to save one 2g male, a cb female, and one frozen hatchling.

Im kicking myself over my single Bright Pink, I didnt like them much back then but they've really grown on me. Id at least liked to have a frozen hatchling, as well.

I have no CB Discontinued breeds unfortunately...

I have a 2G gold tinsel male that I have from a CB Frill mom, I have to find him a CB Vine as mate instead cuz they're the closest to frills in appearance..