tazgal123

Discontinued Dragons

Yeah, it's unfortunate that that's what happened with the spriters of the discontinued dragons. If there's one thing I've learnt about the DC community, it's the absolute intensity of reactions to things - and how deadpan and stubborn those reactions can be (e.g. "No, THAT can't happen because X, Y, Z. Oh, and also B, C, D..."). I wouldn't call it joykill but sometimes I'll be reading posts (especially in the suggestion threads) and thinking "Woah, calm the hell down..." Think some of you need to take a chill pill and not get so worked up over every tiny detail. wink.gif

Back to the discussion of the dragons: I caught wind of the frills being discontinued just before they were and was able to snag two. They're both incredibly messy (wasn't able to catch a CB one) but I'm glad I got in before it was too late. Sadly, I was unable to get a bright pink and I would've loved to have been able to get some. The new pinks are nice, but I really like the art and the vibrant colour of the old one too.

i miss the frilles, pinks I dont care about. I do like them but I fell in love with frills and I only have one. sad.gif

If there's one thing I've learnt about the DC community, it's the absolute intensity of reactions to things - and how deadpan and stubborn those reactions can be (e.g. "No, THAT can't happen because X, Y, Z. Oh, and also B, C, D..."). I wouldn't call it joykill but sometimes I'll be reading posts (especially in the suggestion threads) and thinking "Woah, calm the hell down..." Think some of you need to take a chill pill and not get so worked up over every tiny detail. wink.gif

This. I remember when Teleport was just an idea, how intense some of the people were about how trading is not and was never intended to be part of the game. I'm so glad I never have to worry about eggs/hatchies being lost in trade again. happy.gif

I also miss the bright pinks. I wish I'd caught one, I had plenty of chances, but just always had other priorities. Same with Vines. xd.png

I like the idea of discontinued dragons. They give them more worth, and it's kind of neat to look on your scroll and see your Bright Pinks and Frills and be like "Hey...I have something nobody can ever get again." For those who don't have them, it really isn't a big deal. A couple discontinued breeds aren't going to end the world. It was sad when the Frills left (I wasn't around in the age of the Bright Pinks, lol) but I didn't mind. It was what the spriter wanted and I respect that.

It's people who are as whiny and inconsiderate as you who make this one less fun... and to be perfectly frank, who caused the frill spriter to get so upset that he discontinued those dragons.

That's not true. There are so many more details into why the Frills were discontinued, and none of them should be put on the shoulders of others. It's irresponsible to put the blame on the users who may or may not have had any idea of the resulting issue that would follow.

Although, because discussions about it are taboo and kept under lock and key, I feel threatened to mention anything more about the Frills except that I too would've liked to get a couple.

I actually loathe this idea. Part of the reason I enjoy this game so much is that I can take a break from playing it for weeks to months at a time, come back, and pick back up right where I left off without feeling like I missed something I'll never get again.

I agree with this too; forced commitment is one of the huge downfalls of all types of games (MMOs, for example). For Holidays it's okay, but I prefer it when it stops there. I don't find things enjoyable because others can't have them-- for me, breeding dragons during holidays is always more fun than cramming CBs of the new ones =)

Sometimes, things like this happen. See my sig- I was working on a beautiful even gen lineage of frills. Do I miss them? Yup. Do I want them back? Yup.

But ya know what? There are some awesome new sprites... so I'm gonna keep my frill pile on my front page, my frill lover badge in my sig, and get on those cute new ones!

As a side note... I missed halloween this year. Didn't get a cute little shadow walker. BUT- you can always coax someone into breeding you a cute hatchie with a dragon you can't get as a parent- stick it on the top of your scroll and check the lineage every time you want to see it! biggrin.gif

I kinda liked the frills - they looked so funky that it made them likeable xd.png But back in the day I didn't think there was any difference in values of lineages, inbreeding, etc. And my goal was just to get one of each species. So here I am, after a hiatus, with only one frill, which happens to be messy lineaged and inbred. I still like it and am definitely happy I at least have one, but kind of wish I had gotten a CB instead.

As for old pinks, I managed to pull off getting one of the last old pinks. I joined in June 2009 and they were super scarce back then. I picked mine up in the AP by chance and that was last bright pink egg I ever saw =( Course, lineage is also messy, but happy to have the sprite =)

oh, jeez. i hate the fact there are discontinued breeds on DC, but we have no say in these things and i respect the spriters and their decision.

well i myself own 4 frills, only one being CB. and 5 bright pinks in which 3 are CB. i like both sprites, though frills being more of a favorite. just because, well i know it's weird to point out but...i love the way the claws are done on it. i'm not sure why, but that's my favorite part...and the orange swirlyness on the wings.

i don't think i was around when the frills were pulled, i think i went on a DC break and looked on the forums and i saw banners like "bring back the frills" and such. i didn't know what happened until i looked more and found they were discontinued. i wondered why for awhile and the answer made it clear. i wasn't here for the drama, and i'm quite happy i wasn't...

irony how people want them back now...though if they were re-released, i'm sure people would mostly snatch them up 'cause they'd be "rare" or "special".

edit: spelling fail.

Edited by lightningsky

I agree with this too; forced commitment is one of the huge downfalls of all types of games (MMOs, for example). For Holidays it's okay, but I prefer it when it stops there. I don't find things enjoyable because others can't have them-- for me, breeding dragons during holidays is always more fun than cramming CBs of the new ones =)

Same here. It's like that whole marketing concept for loyalty where you should make it easier for customers to leave you than forcing them to stay and risk having them develop a low relative attitude.

Holiday breeds are sufficient for those chasing the limited edition things, I think.

I never liked bright pinks (the new pinks are so much better) but I wish I'd grabbed a CB one for breeding linage purposes. Frills are nice but since they were SO VERY COMMON anyone who wanted one back then had plenty of chance to get one. It's like kids with a toy, they don't want it when it's there but when you threaten to take it away they suddently want it >.<

Personally, I would love it if more caveblockers get retired, but only very old ones and very unwanted ones and the spriters agree of course. I think the threat that a common species might get taken away will encourage people not to take common dragons for granted.

Personally, I would love it if more caveblockers get retired, but only very old ones and very unwanted ones and the spriters agree of course. I think the threat that a common species might get taken away will encourage people not to take common dragons for granted.

Only problem with that idea is, which caveblockers when? Cave "blockers" go in cycles. Pinks and mints used to dominate the AP, now pinks aren't seen very often. There used to be walls of blacks and vines, but now you can barely find them. Any permanent "solution" to cave-blockers will end up backfiring, because other breeds will just take over as blockers.

Anyways. I wish I had gotten a few more frozen Frill hatchlings before they were discontinued. Back then I wasn't really collecting frozen hatchlings the way I am now.

If you threaten to take away a dog's bone enough times, don't complain when you finally get bit =p

Only it's not really a dog, it's a human who doesn't like being treated like a dog.

I would like a Frill and a Bright Pink...

1. Because they're both pretty and cool-looking.

2. Completion.

Not because it would make me 'cool' or make people say 'omg dat prsn haz a frill bow doooowwwwnnnnnn'.

RETIRE CAVEBLOCKERS?! Are you INSANE!? Guess which person here is in love with Greys, which is considered the most common dragon on dragcave by pretty much everybody? The sprites are cool and the concept is cool, and I would be devastated if they Greys disappeared. If I wasn't on a strict only-one-dragon-breed limit, I would have an army of greys...

I wish I had grabbed a CB Old Pink before they were discontinued, but I was lucky enough to end up with a CB Frill pair, and one from a '09 Valentine.

If caveblockers were discontinued, I think I would drive a lot of us nuts because like TLO said... completion. |D

Its one of the biggest reasons why I can't get back into Neopets, you leave for a few months and you suddenly miss some big site event and now theres new trophies and items you can never get again, its kind of defeating and makes me less likely to play again after a hiatus.

I think its ok on holidays too because while you have to wait a whole year for another shot at one, theres at least A shot

^ I agree with this. I like websites that offer new members a chance as much as old members are offered a chance. I joined DragonCave back in 2008 so I consider myself lucky, but I forgot about DC back when the Vampires were released. If I couldn't get them, I would have been very upset! :c

You have to the admit, the Frills really were abused. xd.png The poor things, they were so annoying. Though I don't agree with the artist's choice to stop breeding them (LOLTHEYSTILLEXIST), it's kind of nice to not see them everywhere. c: I wish new members had a chance at getting them, though. Same with the old Pinks; I like them a lot better than the new Pinks, probably because I was around during the, '1,000 BRIGHT PINKS EVERYWHERE, KILL THEM AAAAALLLLLL!" phase and nobody wanted them. D: I liked them a lot. I'm a girly-girl and love pink. C8

I remember the day Frills were discontinued. I ended up abandoning several frill eggs of my scroll. *shrug.

Life moves on.

I joined too late to get a bright pink, and only grabbed one CB frill when they were available, because I didn't think of getting pairs back then. Would love to have more frills, but, oh well. Lots of other dragons to look forward to.

Frills were discontinued before I became a member here but I wish they weren't! I'd love a frill. I think they're really cute.

I would dearly love to see Frills back, though I respect Lyth's wishes to have them pulled. I do really wish we could have a memorial day for them, sorta like their own Holiday. Perhaps something like on Earth day, or Memorial day, though I suspect it will never happen.

Bright pinks... Those I happen to think should stay discontinued. I don't have a sprite of them, either. But I would love it if the same breed concept was "redrawn", the bright pink color and all female breed that is. I actually joined right as the Bright Pinks were being phased out (at the end of the month they were discontinued from the cave drops, actually). I wasn't on the forum, and missed them completely.

As for lineages which appreciate these lots breeds.... A DC friend bred this for me, she bred the entire lineage, and I just think it's fantastic:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/2AZ5p

Cheers!

C4.

As for lineages which appreciate these lots breeds.... A DC friend bred this for me, she bred the entire lineage, and I just think it's fantastic:

Cheers!

C4.

Beautiful *stares*

I'd really love to have a bright pink. D: Unfortunately, I joined when both these breeds were already gone.

If I had a choice, I would like to see the Frill dragons back. I am lucky enough to have a male and female on my scroll, but I would like more. I don't have any of the the Bright Pink dragons. They were discontinued before I joined.

Maybe make the Bright Pink an alt version of the new pink??

I would dearly love to see Frills back, though I respect Lyth's wishes to have them pulled. I do really wish we could have a memorial day for them, sorta like their own Holiday. Perhaps something like on Earth day, or Memorial day, though I suspect it will never happen.

Bright pinks... Those I happen to think should stay discontinued. I don't have a sprite of them, either. But I would love it if the same breed concept was "redrawn", the bright pink color and all female breed that is. I actually joined right as the Bright Pinks were being phased out (at the end of the month they were discontinued from the cave drops, actually). I wasn't on the forum, and missed them completely.

Cheers!

C4.

I'm in complete agreement with your statement here, and also wish there could be a special Frill Memorial Day for those of us who missed them for whatever reasons. I wasn't playing during the time they were available, and wish I had come back sooner, just for the Frillies. I live in hope, even if its probably futile. But, after all, the Leetle Trees reappeared so we could all get one! wub.gif

And your friend's gift? Beautiful! smile.gif

Yes, but even if we got our 'Frill Memorial Day', you know what would happen?

A few months later from all the people who weren't in attendance as well as the newbies: OMGWTFBBQ! I WANTZ FRILLI MEMRIALZ DAYZZZZZZZZ! I WANTZ A FRILLZZZZLZLZLZL. Y CLNDT DEY HAV ANTHER ONEZZZZZ??!?!?!??! *complain complain complain*

It would be the exact same situation we have now, just with different people.

I think they should just be discontinued and STAY discontinued unless the spriter wishes otherwise. We have plenty of other beautiful breeds, why don't you all go pick up some of those? Missing out on two dragons isn't going to kill anybody here.

And, yes. This comes from someone who has no frills or bright pinks.

I apologize if I sound tense or irritated. My opinions tend to come out that way...