TJ09

2010-07-04 - Beat The Heat Egg Release

I personally hope that these dragons *don't* get dimorphism. There's no reason why *every* breed needs to be dimorphic...especially since female dragons seem to get the short end of the stick most of the time. sad.gif

If they are, TJ would have four of each breed or so... >_>

And oh Jesus. O: My dragons have hatched without being ERs. UNHEARD OF.

I hope one gets wings soon so I cans has freezing.

I saw a blue pretty egg, that says:

This egg glows mysteriously.

Is that a new egg too?

No, thats a summon. Or a GoN. Guardian of Nature.

You need to be unlocked, have all three trios to try to get one.

No, thats a summon. Or a GoN. Guardian of Nature.

You need to be unlocked, have all three trios to try to get one.

Oh yeah.

I personally hope that these dragons *don't* get dimorphism. There's no reason why *every* breed needs to be dimorphic...especially since female dragons seem to get the short end of the stick most of the time. sad.gif

I really like dimorphism, although you're right- not every species needs them.

But I definitely don't think the females get the short end of the stick. The females are some of my favourite sprites!

I see the other wing on the spitfire. It peeks out a tiny bit near the mane (?) on the neck/head. Also, I think a lineage project with one or both of these would be cool.

I have one of each for the time being and both are S1 hatchies. wink.gif

EDIT:

also, I agree.... I like most of the dimporphism. The only dragon where I like male better than female is the daydreams.

Edited by tarsky781

I really like dimorphism, although you're right- not every species needs them.

But I definitely don't think the females get the short end of the stick. The females are some of my favourite sprites!

I feel the same. In a good number of the species I like the females best.

Three more hours until my hatchies grow. Yay!!

Edited by Sir Barton

biggrin.gif

My waves's gendered perfectly. And now i have a pair. YAY

Well, I know what you mean. It's not that the females look BAD-- they're almost all just as well-drawn as the males, and a few look even nicer. It's just that in several breeds, the artists definitely made a conscious decision to make the females plainer than the males by taking things off of their sprites-- fins, frills, spikes, wings, etc. This isn't necessarily a bad decision, because lots of real-life animal species have females that are plainer than the males in the same kind of way. But I agree that you can see it here too, and like you, I'm glad that not every breed is like that.

I think the sprites for the new breeds are great. There is one thing I don't like though. I don't like that now we have another egg lottery with the stripes and the spitfires.

Well, I know what you mean. It's not that the females look BAD-- they're almost all just as well-drawn as the males, and a few look even nicer. It's just that in several breeds, the artists definitely made a conscious decision to make the females plainer than the males by taking things off of their sprites-- fins, frills, spikes, wings, etc. This isn't necessarily a bad decision, because lots of real-life animal species have females that are plainer than the males in the same kind of way. But I agree that you can see it here too, and like you, I'm glad that not every breed is like that.

I agree with both of ya on this one! They're MYTHICAL CREATURES, danget, why do they need to apply to real-world animal standards of shiny boy and drab girl? >___<

...Course, I don't really care for super female and midget male, either. Yay for balanced breeds! biggrin.gif

I think the sprites for the new breeds are great. There is one thing I don't like though. I don't like that now we have another egg lottery with the stripes and the spitfires.

Ugh, they have the same descriptions? You think people would've learned from the strange markings disaster that nobody likes this Dl

Please don't double post, use the edit button.

Not only that, but it seems that more often than not, the male is in an active, dynamic pose, whereas the female is in some demure pose that is not as interesting.

Dimorphism is fine, *if* the artists make the females just as good as the males. But when male sprites are consistently better looking than the female sprites, it starts to grate on my nerves. Some of the recent releases are good examples:

-Bluna -- active male, demure female

-Shallow Water -- male is larger and in a more dynamic pose and all his fins are flared out, while the female is smaller, in a submissive pose, and her fins are laying down. Sure she's still beautiful, but the male is just spectacular.

-Terrae -- winged males, wingless females mad.gifmad.gif

-Canopy -- male is in an airborne, "open" pose whereas the female is in a less active pose and her wings are folded up by her body

-Electric -- male seems to be leaping into the air, female is just standing there with a lifted paw

...and that's just the newer dragons. The problem can also be seen in older dragons, and in way too many of the dragons currently in-progress.

Not only that, but it seems that more often than not, the male is in an active, dynamic pose, whereas the female is in some demure pose that is not as interesting.

Dimorphism is fine, *if* the artists make the females just as good as the males. But when male sprites are consistently better looking than the female sprites, it starts to grate on my nerves. Some of the recent releases are good examples:

-Shallow Water -- male is larger and in a more dynamic pose and all his fins are flared out, while the female is smaller, in a submissive pose, and her fins are laying down. Sure she's still beautiful, but the male is just spectacular.

-Terrae -- winged males, wingless females mad.gifmad.gif

-Canopy -- male is in an airborne, "open" pose whereas the female is in a less active pose and her wings are folded up by her body

-Electric -- male seems to be leaping into the air, female is just standing there with a lifted paw

...and that's just the newer dragons. The problem can also be seen in older dragons, and in way too many of the dragons currently in-progress.

Actually I like most female poses more than the male poses. So You can´t say that they are bad in general.

Dimorphism is fine, *if* the artists make the females just as good as the males.  But when male sprites are consistently better looking than the female sprites, it starts to grate on my nerves.  Some of the recent releases are good examples:

-Shallow Water -- male is larger and in a more dynamic pose and all his fins are flared out, while the female is smaller, in a submissive pose, and her fins are laying down.  Sure she's still beautiful, but the male is just spectacular. 

-Terrae -- winged males, wingless females  mad.gif  mad.gif

...and that's just the newer dragons.  The problem can also be seen in older dragons, and in way too many of the dragons currently in-progress.

I'm not going to sit here and argue through it, but I'd just like to point out that there is some crazy dimorphism in real life. For example, females tend to be the big bosses in the bug world, whereas in the bird world the males tend to be more colourful and flashy than the females. Or it could be something simple with dogs where the male is just a big bigger than the female. I suggest reading up on dimorphism in animals, it's actually quite fascinating.

---

Anywho, the three hatchlings I had all grew up about a few minutes ago.... now need to decide if I have to get more Spitfires or not. Don't really like Waverunners that much.

Edited by Commander Wymsy

My spitfire gendered male like I wanted it to and should grow up in a few more hours. smile.gif

Edited by rubyshoes

There are actually only one or two female/added for dimorphism sprites I don't like, so I'd be happy if these guys eventually went down the same path.

Granted, I don't think these new releases (or other one-sprite breeds) NEED dimorphism...I mean, these guys are gorgeous as it is, but I don't know why folks would be against it just "'cause" I guess. *shrug*

Aaaanywho....anyone here have adults (I still have a day or more to wait 'till my hatchies grow) of the new breeds? Any breeding restrictions or quirks adult-owners can tell?

Ugh, they have the same descriptions? You think people would've learned from the strange markings disaster that nobody likes this Dl

Love the new sprites! *DD

But, in response to this quote - I'm evil and I like the same description thing. XD <3

Yay, my third Spitfire hatched, tomorrow night the other two will hatch and my first four will grow up :3

Talk about something to look forward to x3

And i am definitely going to collect the Spitfires, they are so awesome, and I've been waiting for them for a long time.

Edited by DarkdragoonXHybrid