votehim

vocal range?

what singign range are you in?  

139 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(briefly recall something like this, but couldn't find it)

So, what vocal range are you? Personally, I'm in the bass range, it can be nice in that it sounds epic but a lot of songs nowadays focus on how higher pitches which are harder for bases.

edit: argh, typo in the poll :\

edit: dangit: i forgot Countertenor.

Edited by votehim

How do you figure out what vocal range you are?

All I know is I can't hit very high notes but I'm pretty good with low notes.

Edited by SoraBbb

I'm a falsetto soprano; I've tried to train my voice down to mezzo but it's not easy when even your speaking voice is naturally high. =/ Just isn't much for a falsetto to sing outside of classical music.

Usually you have to test your voice on a piano scale to see which notes you can comfortably hit and work from there to find out what your vocal scale is. A falsetto, for instance, can hit a High C without too much work or pain on their part. I'm not sure of which notes fall to the rest of the ranges though.

I sing Soprano and Descant parts in our Church choir. Next week I'll be at a RSCM choir camp, 6 days of singing for 2-4 hours a day...

Our church choir just lost our conductor of 7 years too sad.gif She is married to the priet (Anglican) and he got moved to another state. So now we are going into our seccond week without her.

You mean you just scream into the mic? *hates screaming noise some people call metal music, cause its not actualy music*

oh, totaly off topic, but I LOVE your user title Quackie! *goes to help find Quackies brain*

Naw, I never get near a mic, sooooo....

I sound like a dude named John Cooper. D| He's awesome, but dude, he's got a deep scratchy voice.

My vocal range covers most of mezzo-soprano and contralto, but I'm more comfortable with the higher part of that range. My normal speaking voice is pretty low, though.

All I know is that I cant sing low notes what so ever... I can barely sing alto xd.png

and the past two years in my school choir, Ive been a 1st soprano

I'm not good with low notes either. Sometimes I get them, but usually they are quiet or don't come out. Definitely a soprano...I sing Soprano 1 in choir. I wish I had a wider range when it comes to lower notes - just getting 2 or 3 notes lower would be very helpful.

I have no idea what my range is, but my sister's range is becoming enormous. She confuses her teacher, though. She can't figure out if she's alto or soprano.

I have no idea whatsoever >>

My singing sucks, so whatever :D

I have no idea what my range is, but my sister's range is becoming enormous. She confuses her teacher, though. She can't figure out if she's alto or soprano.

that's how I am. I can sing soprano all the way down to alto. I can sing higher than all my choir teachers =]. but they were all about alto's... I can sing really low now. I can sing almost down to a tenor.

it's more comfortable for me to sing high (soprano) so I just stick with soprano.

Edited by wondersueak

I'm an alto? o.O But I can be a soprano, too, to an extent. =]

~Feathers

what if there's some overlap? I have a two and a half octave range (if I recall correctly), and I satisfy some elements of tenor, most of baritone, and most of bass.

EDIT: I probably don't count as a tenor any more since I can't use my falsetto voice, which was the only way I could sing it before.

Edited by War Pig Killer

If you need me to edit your poll, please PM me <3

I really don't know... I have a low voice for a girl. I can sing higher notes, but not the crazy-holy-censorkip.gif ones.

I'm... I'm not sure what I am. Like all children I started out as a soprano/treble, and my voice did drop as a child. I can sing easily with Rufus Wainwright and Colin Meloy, though I can't get my head voice low enough to sing with P!NK or my own spouse (both of whom are alto/contralto), nor high enough to follow Kate Rusby or Kristin Chenoweth (or Chris Colfer).

The trouble, I think, is two-fold: 1) I haven't had formal training nor practise with a tuned piano since my voice matured (well, as much as it can mature when one is 22); 2) I'm a transboy, which means I have been so cripplingly shy about my 'girly' voice that I've tried pitching it lower or harsher, and have not sung properly out of fear that someone will hear me and therefore find out that I am 'not a real boy'. This fear has gone down a little bit with the discovery of the castrati and especially the stardom of Chris Colfer, the countertenor, but it still plagues my singing since I think I'm stuck in that infuriating 'not high enough to claim castrato/countertenor but not low enough to sound androgynous' range.

Edited by Melanthios

I have a rather low speaking voice, but when I sing I'm a soprano. I don't sing that often though. I don't like when others hear me sing for some reason.