RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

The fact that I still have 2 hands and 5 "complete fingers" makes it hard for me to play a certain arcade game (Jubeat), does anyone out there know how to grow and/or elongate fingers? Besides surgery and/or implanting (serious question, no joke o.O )

Why did Bob Ross often (but not always) use male pronouns for trees, clouds, mountains and other things?

I spent decades training my brain not to use "he" for a tree*, and then I watch "The joy of painting", and suddenly it's "let's decide where the tree lives... he lives riiiiight here!"  :D

Is that just a thing you can do when you feel like it, no big deal? Or does it sound weird/funny to native English speakers?

... Does it mean the tree is like a person to Bob Ross? He did mention talking to trees... (But why would they all be male?)

* For those who don't know - in German (and many other languages), objects and animals have a grammatical gender that has no biological meaning at all. Trees are male, clouds are female, houses are neuter, lakes are male, the sun is female, the moon is male, dogs are male, cats are female, horses are neuter... And when you're learning English from German, it can take some effort not to translate the pronouns 1:1.

@Confused Cat People don't generally give gender pronouns to inanimate objects in English. It sounds a little odd when you do, but it's not unheard of if you're being silly and want to act like something is alive. Bob Ross was just a bit of a quirky guy that liked to personify trees, I guess. :lol: 

16 hours ago, Aqub said:

if you're being silly and want to act like something is alive

Thanks for answering! This is an explanation I can live with. :)

*goes off to watch more Bob Ross*

Just bought myself two pairs of OTC cosmetic contacts and I was super pumped to get them. Now I've read about the risks and am bummed, but I still want to use them, seeing as I've used non prescription Circle Natural lenses off and on for months with no issues. Has anyone had any issues using non prescription contacts? Is there a way I could get an ophthalmologist to check them out and make sure they're safe for my eyes and still use them? The prescription kind are so stale and boring, you can't even tell when you're wearing them cus your eyes look exactly the same even with the "colored" ones...

Have you tried opaque contacts? If your eyes are dark the only way to get them to look a different color is with opaque, not translucent, colors. 

Just because you haven't had visible damage or problems with them doesn't mean you aren't, or that you won't in the future. And if you're going to try and get an eye doc to check them anyway, just get a contacts prescription while you're there instead. You should get a prescription for them even if you don't need them for vision correction. Contacts are a medical device regardless of vision correction needs.

If you use them anyway just make sure that if you start getting a problem with your eyes that you see a doctor immediately. Same goes for prescription ones.

My eyes are gray-green, but none of the prescription ones seem to show except those crazy ones and I don't like them 😕 I'll definitely keep an ophthalmologist's number handy!