RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

There's a suggestion I remember, to dab cold water regularly on certain spots like the inside of your wrists and the side of your neck, where the blood vessels come close to the surface of the skin. That's probably inconspicuous enough to do for when you can't well sit there with a wet towel.

Yes, cold water on wrists helps a lot... :-) I have opened the window in the early morning, as the air was stil rather cool and then I'll put some shades on, got some old company posters... laugh.gif

We'll see...

You said your laptop gets hot; have you thought about buying a cooling rack or pad? (That's the one I use.) The gap between the desk and the rack is enough for me to put my hands underneath so it cools my hands and my laptop. XP

You could bring in a wet flannel and keep it on your neck. Do they have a fan there? The fan usually just blows the hot air towards you, but it will make the flannel cooler. dustpuppy is also correct; I use these two methods if I don't have an air-con. Try to work on lower floors, if possible, too; warm air rises so the ground floor will be cooler. (If your office has floors, that is.)

Unfortunately, it's not a laptop, but PC... the damn box is right next to my left leg and hot like ... censorkip.gif ...

Well, I'm ready and well prepared today! A towel, two bottles of water (one of them wrapped in a wet towel too, to get cool, as there's no fridge here) and a small bottle of iont drink. And no coffee today... blink.gif

I want to show a guy who crushed on me since last year(when we were in the same class) that I like him back. However, we are no longer classmates and we only wave at each other when we meet. Does raising an eyebrow give him the hint? What will be his possible reaction(s) to that? Like will he be freaked out?

Me and the guy used to be in the same class. He liked me but I did not notice till our last few weeks as classmates. A few months ago, he would smile and wave back whenever I waved at him.

A few weeks ago after term break, during practical, when I was queuing up to use the sink. From behind a guy, I saw him standing at the window staring and smiling. I was too dazed to respond. I was puzzled at our encounter. I initially thought that since we are no longer classmates and coursemates(I changed course) and we don't see each other that often on campus, the crush he had might have died off.

Since our encounter, whenever I wave at him, he wave back but never smile. I feel a bit awkward when we meet compared to before the encounter as I have begun to crush on him.. Why he stopped smiling? It makes our meeting even more awkward...-.-

How dangerous is emphysema?

Quite a random question I know... just hoping to put my mind at rest ^^;

How dangerous is emphysema?

Quite a random question I know... just hoping to put my mind at rest ^^;

Sadly it is not a good thing for someone to suffer from. Emphysema is a disease which results in permenant damage to the lungs, reducing surface area available to exchange gases. Someone with emphysema will end up having less oxygen in their blood stream and less partial pressure of oxygen - essentially your body doesn't get enough oxygen. It is progressive and non-reversable (i.e. it will get worse over time) and will shorten life expectancy as well as increase the chance of ending up with other chronic conditions, including heart failure.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this one, and sincerely wish that you were just asking hypothetically.

Sadly it is not a good thing for someone to suffer from. Emphysema is a disease which results in permenant damage to the lungs, reducing surface area available to exchange gases. Someone with emphysema will end up having less oxygen in their blood stream and less partial pressure of oxygen - essentially your body doesn't get enough oxygen. It is progressive and non-reversable (i.e. it will get worse over time) and will shorten life expectancy as well as increase the chance of ending up with other chronic conditions, including heart failure.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this one, and sincerely wish that you were just asking hypothetically.

I ask because my dad was recently diagnosed with it after mum got concerned about his constant coughing. Combined with Alzheimer's, which he was also recently diagnosed with, I'm worried how everything's going to turn out.

I ask because my dad was recently diagnosed with it after mum got concerned about his constant coughing. Combined with Alzheimer's, which he was also recently diagnosed with, I'm worried how everything's going to turn out.

The progression of both conditions are variable from person to person. While neither can be reversed they can be controlled and the decline in health managed. He may actually continue to live the same life he has before, just a little bit more forgetful and perhaps not as sporty - that is always a chance if he keeps on his medication and looks after himself in his entirety.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My grandmother died from that a few years back. It wasn't a fun experience for her. It sounded quite painful. I wish you and your father the best.

Recently, my brother has been bugging me about trying to buy my iPod. I don't want to sell it to him, but he doesn't seem to get it through his head that I'm not planning on bartering with him. What should I do? I've told him no multiple times.

I started crushing on a guy in my class last May. It took me 1+ month of being his classmate to like him. The crush was random. I just randomly developed feelings for him; liked him without a reason. I found him reminding me of my ex-crush in secondary school(2 years ago) who unfortunately dated my classmate. Is this infatuation?

I started crushing on a guy in my class last May. It took me 1+ month of being his classmate to like him. The crush was random. I just randomly developed feelings for him; liked him without a reason. I found him reminding me of my ex-crush in secondary school(2 years ago) who unfortunately dated my classmate. Is this infatuation?

Yup. Doesn't mean it won't lead somewhere there.

How many people understand the etymology behind words? Just words in general!

My entire scroll is etymological in the name scheme (except Gem and Ni the split.)

How many people understand the etymology behind words? Just words in general!

My entire scroll is etymological in the name scheme (except Gem and Ni the split.)

Um... every single word has it's own etymology from just about every language (and this is just in English) so that's kind of overly broad.

A website that used to load before now (since they moved servers) loads for a split second, then becomes a blank page on IE9. Refreshing brings up a blank page with a flash ad.

Should I expect that the issue would fix itself after a few days (like a DNS error), or is this more serious?

Since this is on a work computer, I can't really customize settings - or install a broswer of my own choice. ;p

I'm 19 this August. I want to dye my hair turquoise so I plan to work in my parents' office for the vacation to earn money to get the hair job done. But my parents have been strongly against me dyeing and bleaching my hair, especially my mother. She forbids me to dye my hair without her permission; even if I ask she would object to the color I choose. She comments that my current blonde/bleached hair look old and unhealthy. When she found out I dyed my hair, she raged and threw a tantrum.

When I mentioned dyeing my hair blue to my father, he said if I were to dye my hair outstanding colors I would attract people to criticize me(like fruit attracting flies), people would have a bad impression of me and would not approach me, think that I'm weird, spoilt etc.

I'm bent on dyeing my hair after getting my salary from my parents; at least I worked for my dye job. Should I inform them but high chance of them protesting or just dye and prepare for their wrath later on? What should I do to convince them not be so biased against dyed hair and let me do what I like with my hair? After all, it's my hair, not their's.

I'm 19 this August. I want to dye my hair turquoise so I plan to work in my parents' office for the vacation to earn money to get the hair job done. But my parents have been strongly against me dyeing and bleaching my hair, especially my mother. She forbids me to dye my hair without her permission; even if I ask she would object to the color I choose. She comments that my current blonde/bleached hair look old and unhealthy. When she found out I dyed my hair, she raged and threw a tantrum.

When I mentioned dyeing my hair blue to my father, he said if I were to dye my hair outstanding colors I would attract people to criticize me(like fruit attracting flies), people would have a bad impression of me and would not approach me, think that I'm weird, spoilt etc.

I'm bent on dyeing my hair after getting my salary from my parents; at least I worked for my dye job. Should I inform them but high chance of them protesting or just dye and prepare for their wrath later on? What should I do to convince them not be so biased against dyed hair and let me do what I like with my hair? After all, it's my hair, not their's.

If you're not under their roof -- there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to. However, you should consider the possible repercussions of dying your hair with the job you have. I don't know where you live, so I can't tell you your worker's rights, but I know in Texas, an employer does not need a reason to fire an employee. Learn your worker's rights if you think it might be an issue, or get a job somewhere else if it is. But in the sense of your relationship with your parents, I think you need to stand up for yourself if they don't have a real reason to be opposed to your hair color. Do try to listen to what they have to say though -- you don't have to do it, but don't make them feel worthless as parents.

Okay, so my boyfriend and I are sexually active (more or less), and we use protection, but I want to go on the pill. He and I have polar opposite views of abortion(I'm pro-choice), and I don't think I could handle that at all if the situation arose. So I know that I have condoms and spermicide, but I also want to take that extra measure of protection that is out there. The problem is that I'm a minor, and my parents don't want me having sex. I know that if I told them that he and I are sexually active, that I would lose a lot of freedom and personal time that I have with him. I want to get the pill, but I have no idea how to obtain it without parental consent. /:

Lila, I'm not sure where you live, but in the US there are many doctors and resource centers that will help you get on the pill without needing parental consent. It's not a legal requirement. Planned Parenthood is a good one, we have a really good PP clinic in my town with very informative and helpful staff. One of my old doctors also prescribed birth control directly to minors.

I also have to be that person who speaks up and says that if you have a boyfriend that disagrees with you on an issue as important as abortion when you are sexually active with him, you need to really, really think about what could happen. What if you do get pregnant? Are you going to hide an abortion from him and continue seeing him? Would that affect your relationship at all? What if he found out and pressured you to do what he wanted instead of what is best for you? Is this something you guys can work past - is this something he seems reasonable about when you discuss? Are you okay with staying with somebody who seemingly doesn't support something that, at this point in time, you would get if you got pregnant? Even with protection, you could still end up pregnant. I would just hate to see you put in a situation where you weren't free to make a decision about your own body.

I also have to be that person who speaks up and says that if you have a boyfriend that disagrees with you on an issue as important as abortion when you are sexually active with him, you need to really, really think about what could happen. What if you do get pregnant? Are you going to hide an abortion from him and continue seeing him? Would that affect your relationship at all? What if he found out and pressured you to do what he wanted instead of what is best for you? Is this something you guys can work past - is this something he seems reasonable about when you discuss? Are you okay with staying with somebody who seemingly doesn't support something that, at this point in time, you would get if you got pregnant? Even with protection, you could still end up pregnant. I would just hate to see you put in a situation where you weren't free to make a decision about your own body.

I probably have some invincibility complex because I'm a teenager, but I will say that if that situation arose, yes, it would cause me terrible emotional distress, but I would do what I needed to do, regardless of what he thought. It is my body, and I know that he'd be mad, and if we broke up over that -- well, then maybe it wasn't the kind of relationship I need. We would try to work it out, I know we would, but if it's something we can't move past, then I can't help that. I will tell you that we are not the people to have sex very often, simply due to the fact that we don't want to deal with that. We know how it could break us. We don't do it when I'm ovulating (but not during my friend...ew) and always always always use condoms and are looking into spermicide, and if needed can obtain the morning after pill. I know that it's possible that it will happen, but I want to be able to enjoy what should be enjoyable. If I get pregnant, that's a whole different ball park that I've already mentally prepared for and continue to prepare for whether or not it happens.

And I live in TX, by the waaay..

I know there are a few 3DS users here, so hopefully there's someone who knows what's going on.

When I'm playing multiplayer games (local), sometimes the screens will just go black, sound goes off and the '3D' led turns off - effectively, the console turns off. After some time, going from five up to thirty seconds, it'll turn back on but U'll be disconnected. This is happening more and more frequently and I'm wondering if this is a known thing and what to do about it.

It's also happened twice in single-player - the first time was thirty-four seconds long.

Okay, this is just a simple questions, (and I know it's a stupid one kinda,) but what is the best way to avoid someone without being a jerk and hurting their feelings? (Serious question here.) Does anyone know?

Okay, this is just a simple questions, (and I know it's a stupid one kinda,) but what is the best way to avoid someone without being a jerk and hurting their feelings? (Serious question here.) Does anyone know?

Well, here are a few of my suggestons:

1- If you ever cross paths with them in a street, pretend you didn't notice them.

2- If this fails, and they compliment you, compliment them back.

3- If they ask you anything, just say you're busy and cannot speak at the moment.

4- If they call you, don't answer or reject.

Pretty crappy, but it's the best advice I can provide for now.

Ever since my classmate became my project mate, he became a different person. He behaves and speaks childishly, could be sort of a goofy airhead at times, and is often dependent on me during project/group work. Months ago, I thought he was matured. Why has he become childish(for his age of 18+)?

Sounds like he's taking the chance to get out of work. Does he act like this all the time or just when he's with you/supposed to be working on the subject?

Does anyone know an image randomizer that allows animated images? I'm using signavatar.com now with my old animated avatar among the images, but it doesn't seem to display it properly (for me at least).

Edited by timpieh