RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Does anyone have a good way to hide scars? It's summer and I get a lot of stares regarding the scars on my arms and legs and it's pretty annoying. Makeup isn't my favorite method.

There are a myriad of skin creams out there to reduce the appearance of scars. I don't know any offhand outside of the US or Brazil (I go back and forth between those two places often, but live in the US), but you should be able to find it using your favorite search engine. Look in some stores near you that sell hand and body lotion and it could be there.

If you cut off a butterfly's wings, does it still have a chance to live?

Edited by Xythus

If you cut off a butterfly's wings, does it still have a chance to live?

It's doubtful, I think. I know that if one rubs off the powder on a butterfly's wings it dies, so touching the wings of a live butterfly is sentencing it to death (that's how I understand it, at least). I do doubt the survival of wingless butterfly because of that.

Edited by Mousia

It's doubtful, I think. I know that if one rubs off the powder on a butterfly's wings it dies, so touching the wings of a live butterfly is sentencing it to death (that's how I understand it, at least). I do doubt the survival of wingless butterfly because of that.

Thanks for replying; our family is suffering from squirrels and birds eating all my growing food in our garden, so we put up a netting around our pear and peach tree. Today when I came home, I noticed a big black butterfly that somehow gotten itself hopelessly tangled inside. Because of the way the wings are mashed and binded by the wire mesh, I guess whether I try to help or leave it there will ultimately ruin its wings >_< I guess I'll just do nothing.

Have you tried turning it off then turning it on again?

I'm switching it off whenever I have a meal or go out (I usually just put it to sleep if I go out) or do non-computer-based homework, but whenever I come back to it, it gets to 75°C and potentially more in 3 hours. When it gets to 85°C I close the lid and hold it in front of my fan for a while but the problem still persists when I go back to using it. :I

I've closed everything so that I just have Chrome, Skype and a computer game running, but the fan is still on full blast - though much quieter than my old one! X3 - and it's about 60°C. I just switched it on half an hour ago.

edit: I've ordered a cooler, but I'm not entirely sure how effective it is.

Edited by cfmtfm

I know that if one rubs off the powder on a butterfly's wings it dies, so touching the wings of a live butterfly is sentencing it to death (that's how I understand it, at least).

Actually, it is not true. Just the "powder" being removed from the butterfly's wings without the wings themselves getting too damaged will not affect its rate of survival too much (at most, if it was a species of butterfly that has camouflage, it would simply be more noticeable to predators due to the protective coloration having been damaged), and it definitely would not kill it on its own. It would, however, drastically decrease the butterfly's chances of finding a mate, since butterflies rely on the color of the other butterfly's wings to recognize others of their species and determine how healthy they are.

As for the wings being removed altogether ... well, a butterfly should still be able to fly if its wings got notable damage (I've seen a butterfly with one wing out of four missing flying just fine - didn't even notice before it landed), but if to remove its wings entirely, it obviously loses its ability to fly. And if it can't fly, then it most likely would not survive for too long in nature. Those butterflies that feed need their ability to fly to get to flower blossoms to feed on, after all.

I have a crush on my ex classmate(let's call him by his initial D) since last year when we were in the same class. D did crush back but things were awkward between us; I was often uneasy and nervous around him. The crush lasted us for our entire year as classmates. The crush started off as random. D kinda reminded me of my ex crush who unfortunately dated someone else 3 years ago.

At the same time, his friend(let's call him by his initial H) had also been crushing on me all along but I did not realize till our last few weeks as classmates. During that time, I had the slightest bit of crush(last minute one) on H. During one of our project discussions, I got nervous; heart raced quite a bit around him(for a short while). On another meeting before that, when we were alone I touched H on his hand when it was in my way on my laptop; I wanted to type something(pretty much an accident). I was eager to wish him happy birthday on Facebook and even receive his reply when I texted him regarding our group project.. For the rest of our school days, things were normal between me and H, not that awkward. My crush on D was still more significant than the little liking to H though I interacted more and got along better with H than D.

After both guys separated into different classes and I changed course, I started missing D as I see and interact with him less. He often hung out with his new classmates and busy with year 2 of polytechnic life. I did not miss H much, assuming my liking to him died off. I missed D to the point it affected my mood and at times distracted me from my assignments. After all, there is this saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I even went back to school when there were no lessons on that day just to witness his birthday. I still crushed on D even though we were no longer classmates but still awkward around him. I also see H at times on campus and wave at each other whenever we meet.

2 weeks ago during the first day of the new term, during practical, when I was queuing at the window side sink to wash the lab apparatus, from behind a classmate, I saw H standing at the window staring and smiling. Then he walked away. I was rather puzzled at our encounter. I was surprised he still acknowledged me even after we were no longer course mates and classmates and it had been months since we last interacted. I have not been interacting with D at all, saw him but did not have the guts to speak to him and just avoided him.

Ever since me and H's encounter and seeing him more often around campus(was not that often before our term break), I have been in deep thought and I find my crush on D slowly dwindling. Why is my crush on D fading?

P.S. Sorry for the long essay.

Why is my crush on D fading?

It just... is.

There isn't really a definite answer, not that I know of. You're growing out of him. You don't see him, talk to him, you aren't around him anymore, so your affections are fading.

That's what it is, a crush. They last for a while then go away c:

So... I'm going away to college soon, for the first time. aaah They tell me to bring things like a mattress, microwave, etc. but how do I bring those with me? Do I cram them into the trunk, tie my mattress to the top of my car, and drive all the way there to unpack in whatever parking lot and carry everything to my room?

And does anyone have advice for finalizing everything (classes, housing, parking, the like) before the first days of college? I have no idea what I'm doing D:

You have to bring your own mattress? o.o

Things like a microwave, I would get in contact with your roommate/s when you can. (I got lucky and got the apartments my first year and shared an apartment with a senior and two sophomores, so they already knew the groove and had stuff from previous semesters. They found me over facebook and pooled what they had and I offered to get some things they didn't have yet.) If you're sharing a dorm room or apartment or whatever, it can get crowded if everyone brings one of everything that can be shared. If there's things like that you can share, it's a lot easier (and cheaper) to split those up. Especially if you don't have a lot of car room, it's okay to wait on stuff that you won't need right away.

Other things it depends how far away you are and how long it's going to take you to drive there. Are you going alone or are your parents/other family taking you? If you don't have a truck or a trailer you can fit a mattress in, it might just be easier to drive there and try to secure a mattress once there. I would check out local stores there and see what prices are. If there's a thrift store nearby, they might also have good deals on mattresses that you want to wait for.

As for finalizing, just know that all the freshman are going to be rushing around confused and lost on the first day. There'll probably be last minute/procrastinator upperclassmen trying to get things paid and such, too. The school goes through it every year. Everywhere you go, they're likely going to give you directions on where you need to go next. And if they don't, just don't be afraid to ask. It'll probably be pretty easy to follow other groups of people around, too. =p If you want to, it might make you feel better to look at a campus map and figure out where a few key places are (like the registrar/cashier).

It's scary, but it's a new experience, and once you're done, you'll realize it wasn't actually all that tough. ;p

So... I'm going away to college soon, for the first time. aaah They tell me to bring things like a mattress, microwave, etc. but how do I bring those with me? Do I cram them into the trunk, tie my mattress to the top of my car, and drive all the way there to unpack in whatever parking lot and carry everything to my room?

And does anyone have advice for finalizing everything (classes, housing, parking, the like) before the first days of college? I have no idea what I'm doing D:

Have you not registered for classes yet?

Why is my crush on D fading?

As someone above pointed out, crushes are like that. They have nothing to do with real love or friendship, though they can grow into something deeper. The fact that you get along with H so much better is probably the reason. Just because your feelings of crushing on D are strong, this does not indicate that it's true love. If you truly did love D, in my opinion, you could try to get over your awkwardness and get to know him better. Perhaps your crush could develop into real love.

And does anyone have advice for finalizing everything (classes, housing, parking, the like) before the first days of college?

Contact your college and ask about advisors or online guides for new students. Every college should have something of the kind. I've never heard of students being expected to bring their own mattresses, but perhaps there is a reason for this. I would say it's better to buy things like furniture and appliances after you get there, rather than trying to bring them with you. And it's always better to start getting ready as soon as possible. Don't wait until the last minute to find out what's expected of you. :-)

Hey, group opinion decides this impossible question:

What is the opposite of a sandwich? I need to know for a story I'm writing.

Edited by Silverphoenixx

It says to give a tablespoon of hyrdogen peroxide every ten minutes until they start vomiting.

Don't. Hydrogen peroxide might do itrevrrsible additional damage. Contact a vet instead - search the net and call one for starters. Also, what kind of glue?

What is the opposite of a sandwich?

The opposite in what way? If you mean the same ingredients but not put together, I'd call it 'bread and cheese', or 'bread and meat', or something. ETA: Because sandwiches are neat, a messy stew could be considered the opposite.

The opposite in what way? If you mean the same ingredients but not put together, I'd call it 'bread and cheese', or 'bread and meat', or something.

ETA: Because sandwiches are neat, a messy stew could be considered the opposite.

Edited by Jennie

Nope. Not all sandwiches are neat. And I need and opposite in every way. I personally think a crouton salad.

Don't. Hydrogen peroxide might do itrevrrsible additional damage. Contact a vet instead - search the net and call one for starters. Also, what kind of glue?

it was all-purpose white glue.

she seems to be fine, she hasn't really shown any signs of sickness since she swallowed it. i hope she's okay umu

Hey, group opinion decides this impossible question:

What is the opposite of a sandwich? I need to know for a story I'm writing.

A sandwich is a quick and easy fix, right? On that basis i'd go for something complex and heavy, like a 3 course meal with lots of gravy xd.png

I'd be interested in knowing what you eventually go for biggrin.gif

A sandwich is a quick and easy fix, right? On that basis i'd go for something complex and heavy, like a 3 course meal with lots of gravy xd.png

I'd be interested in knowing what you eventually go for biggrin.gif

Or meat stuffed with some sort of breading, sort of opposite of how in a sandwich the meat is between the bread, now the bread is in the meat.

Stumper, right? When I say complete opposite, I mean a complete opposite that is actually solid, not that any of you suggested not solid things.

This completely reminds me of this activity we had to do at school to learn our spellings. We had to come up with the opposite of every word we had to learn. :I One of the words was kangaroo.

How about hciwdnas? It's not an actual object, whereas sandwich is. It's also not an actual word, although it's "sandwich" flipped. tongue.gif