RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Why is it that I don't feel nervous much at all when I have to speak in front of a group (like in class) but I still horribly stumble over my words?

Like in chemistry today, we had to bring an experiment and do a demo in class. I red over what I was going to say several times but when I got up there, I completely forgot pretty much everything. I didn't even remember the name of the chemicals I was using. Thank goodness I was allowed to bring a paper with me. I timed my explanation at around 2 minutes. I got up there and talked for about 30 seconds. Anyone have any idea why this happens?

Are you sure you're not nervous? -brick'd-

When you read it over, did you read it out loud? Practice speaking at a normal pace? Did you read it in front of anybody?

Although I don't get nervous speaking like that, either, I am horrible if I don't practice sufficiently. I'm not good at improv, lol. I have to practice my speech several times out loud. I usually just do it in front of the computer (since my speeches are usually powerpoints) and time myself. I used to do that a bunch of times and then present to my mom, but since I don't live at home anymore... People tend to talk quicker during presentations or manage to forget something they wanted to say, anyway, so if I'm short on time while not under pressure, I'll go back and add some more information in my speech, just in case.

As some of you may have heard about this, I finished my Master studies this summer.

And I just began a regular, full-time job this week. Although I did have a lot of lab work hours during my studies, I've never had this before, you know, a 5-days-a-week, 9-to-5 job.

For now I'm really stumped with the sudden loss of all the free time I had. I know, it's only been this week so far, but when I come home (at a reasonable hour, in fact), it feels like I can't organize doing anything I actually want to and enjoy doing - I haven't managed to read, watch or draw anything, because it seems like enjoyable as those things are, they do require some brainpower to process and I'm having a hard time with that just now. :T Should I expect that I would get used to having a job and return to managing my hobbies again "naturally", or can someone give me some tips on how to manage things?

/feels slightly dumb

It's something you do get used to after a while - the first few weeks will always be overwhelming. But then you'll start to adjust to how your new time-table is, what hobbies you can and can't keep up with, and how to fit those hobbies around your work. It sucks, growing up.

As some of you may have heard about this, I finished my Master studies this summer.

And I just began a regular, full-time job this week. Although I did have a lot of lab work hours during my studies, I've never had this before, you know, a 5-days-a-week, 9-to-5 job.

For now I'm really stumped with the sudden loss of all the free time I had. I know, it's only been this week so far, but when I come home (at a reasonable hour, in fact), it feels like I can't organize doing anything I actually want to and enjoy doing - I haven't managed to read, watch or draw anything, because it seems like enjoyable as those things are, they do require some brainpower to process and I'm having a hard time with that just now. :T Should I expect that I would get used to having a job and return to managing my hobbies again "naturally", or can someone give me some tips on how to manage things?

/feels slightly dumb

Welcome to the world of work. You have another 50 years of it to look forward to.

Kestra is right - you will start to adjust. You'll also probably start finding you operate with less sleep. Either that or you just start going to bed quite early. An hour, maybe two, in the evening may end up being the most time you get to spend on hobbies.

Edited to add: Slight snarkiness about work aside (not directed at you, more just at 'work') congratulations! Both on the Masters, and on getting a job in what's a pretty tough climate out there.

Edited by TikindiDragon

I never really got the hang of working and having hobbies at the same time. It takes me so long to unwind that 100% of my free time is spent on TV and the computer trying to destress. :/

Does anyone have a good synonym for "speech"? I don't want to repeat the same word over and over in an essay about giving speeches.

Does anyone have a good synonym for "speech"? I don't want to repeat the same word over and over in an essay about giving speeches.

discourse, lecture, address

Are you sure you're not nervous? -brick'd-

When you read it over, did you read it out loud? Practice speaking at a normal pace? Did you read it in front of anybody?

Although I don't get nervous speaking like that, either, I am horrible if I don't practice sufficiently. I'm not good at improv, lol. I have to practice my speech several times out loud. I usually just do it in front of the computer (since my speeches are usually powerpoints) and time myself. I used to do that a bunch of times and then present to my mom, but since I don't live at home anymore... People tend to talk quicker during presentations or manage to forget something they wanted to say, anyway, so if I'm short on time while not under pressure, I'll go back and add some more information in my speech, just in case.

Well, I don't know. I mean I don't feel very nervous. I know I'm nervous for the duration of the walk to the front of the class. When I get there, I feel pretty ok.

I do practice, but that doesn't seem to have a huge impact on my actual presentation.

Like in 10th grade, we had to prepare a monologue as if we were characters from The Hobbit (I got to be Smaug :D ). I wrote my speech, practiced it several times out loud, I even memorized the thing. But when I got in front of the class, I forgot at least a third of the things I wanted to say. -.-

Edited by Ali'i Makani Pahili

Well, I don't know. I mean I don't feel very nervous. I know I'm nervous for the duration of the walk to the front of the class. When I get there, I feel pretty ok.

I do practice, but that doesn't seem to have a huge impact on my actual presentation.

Like in 10th grade, we had to prepare a monologue as if we were characters from The Hobbit (I got to be Smaug biggrin.gif ). I wrote my speech, practiced it several times out loud, I even memorized the thing. But when I got in front of the class, I forgot at least a third of the things I wanted to say. -.-

Perhaps speak to your teachers and guidance counselor/counseling services and see if they have any ideas or tips? :3

Maybe it's just that walk to the front that makes you nervous enough to forget? What if you just started practicing the speech in your head for the duration of the walk? Perhaps that would help it stick?

I....I don't like talking to people enough to seek help. >.>;

Eh, maybe it is the walk. Now that I think about it, I don't really think about anything while I walk to the front of the class. It's like I'm in autonomous mode.

Thankies for responding, btw~

I never really got the hang of working and having hobbies at the same time. It takes me so long to unwind that 100% of my free time is spent on TV and the computer trying to destress. :/

I'm one of those people who, when I manage to kick my own butt and start actually doing the things I like/want to do, I can keep going. It's also important, since I have some drawing-related commitments to other people and such.

@Kestra and Tikindi - thanks, I'll probably just have to wait and see.

For now, this kind-of brings back memories of my last high school year where I used to be busy 4 work days out of five until 6-to-past-10pm, depending on the day, but still somehow managed to upkeep my hobbies at the time. I guess Uni has tremendously slackened me. :')

@Kestra and Tikindi - thanks, I'll probably just have to wait and see.

For now, this kind-of brings back memories of my last high school year where I used to be busy 4 work days out of five until 6-to-past-10pm, depending on the day, but still somehow managed to upkeep my hobbies at the time. I guess Uni has tremendously slackened me. :')

You get into the swing of it eventually - the main thing is that you realise what is important and what isn't. For example, much as I love Capoeira, since getting a full-time job I've stopped almost completely, and even here back in Uni I doubt I'll do much of it. Because much as I love it - and at one point it was the biggest part of my life - I now have enough to worry about between my degree, my voluntary roles (two training positions *and* my regular voluntary work), and my long-distance relationship, that if I get time off I sleep. Capoeira is now my holiday once a year, which is a massive shame as I love it to bits. But sadly it turns out I love vomiting drunken students more...

But sadly it turns out I love vomiting drunken students more...

Perhaps you shouldn't eat so many drunken students then tongue.gif !

who's really leading in the polls?

Some sites say that Obama is by 67% others say Mitt is *Gods I hope not*

who's really leading in the polls?

Some sites say that Obama is by 67% others say Mitt is *Gods I hope not*

It appears that Obama is currently leading by a small lead, but polls are not always 100% accurate.

Anyway, here is my question:

My cat has a pretty large gash on her neck. I believe she originally got nicked playing with my other cat and then kept widening it by scratching. It was getting better, but it looks like she went at it pretty roughly this evening. We're taking her to the vet in a couple days, but what can we do for her in the meantime? I don't want to find her dead tomorrow because she nicked an artery or something. A collar is out of the question because A. she is scratching with her hind leg AND licking it and B. the collar would be right on the wound.

Is there any type of feline medicine we can give her to stop the itching, reduce pain, or even just make her drowsy? I would appreciate any help. sad.gif

My cat has a pretty large gash on her neck. I believe she originally got nicked playing with my other cat and then kept widening it by scratching. It was getting better, but it looks like she went at it pretty roughly this evening. We're taking her to the vet in a couple days, but what can we do for her in the meantime? I don't want to find her dead tomorrow because she nicked an artery or something. A collar is out of the question because A. she is scratching with her hind leg AND licking it and B. the collar would be right on the wound.

Is there any type of feline medicine we can give her to stop the itching, reduce pain, or even just make her drowsy? I would appreciate any help.  sad.gif

The only idea I have is to use an Elizabethan Collar. They are available in feline sizes and are usually used to prevent animals from pulling out stitches. My dog had to use a "Cone of Shame" after surgery and my sister's cat had to use one once as well. Just a thought. I suppose some topical solution might be available but don't know what would work.

It appears that Obama is currently leading by a small lead, but polls are not always 100% accurate.

Is there any type of feline medicine we can give her to stop the itching, reduce pain, or even just make her drowsy? I would appreciate any help. sad.gif

I'd put some gauze on the wound with some polysporin, cut a hole in the end of a sock, and put the sock around her neck over the gauze. Hopefully she won't get it off too quickly, but that's a tricky spot to get a wound.

Is there any type of feline medicine we can give her to stop the itching, reduce pain, or even just make her drowsy? I would appreciate any help.  sad.gif

clean the wound as best you can without worsening it, put some kind of gauze on over it then put lemon juice on it

but I've NEVER had a cat who contiuned to scratch at a wound after putting that on it.

I've been using home remidies to vet cats for about nine years.

(rural missouri, people don't believe in vets)

Edited by Sorrowgrave

DO NOT GIVE HER ASA - it is poisonous to cats. Far too many have died because their owners had this bright idea !

Wouldn't lemon juice sting to all get out ? I'd run with the polysporin too. The sock sounds good, if the collar would be over the wound. You could make leg-holes in it to keep it in place (that will REALLY hack her off and give her something else to think about !)

Okay, so, how do you deal with a ten-year-old who just decides they're the boss and any suggestion they make must absolutely be followed, and that they are the mightiest creature to ever exist? Seriously, I am fed up with this bratty kid. ._. I have a life, I can't take care of them 24/7, considering the piles of projects/homework I have to do daily/weekly. I get, what, two hours out of my 7-day-week just to relax, and all they want is to make me play with them for /hours/? I've tried talking to them, I've tried discussing it with their parents, ect. Nothing is working. I just want to flat out say 'Okay, kid, I get that you think you're God's little gift to humankind, but I don't give a censorkip.gif about what you want. No, really, leave me alone.' But that would make his parents mad. ._.

not on the wound,

a little on the gauze so she gets the bad taste in her mouth (Paw goes to gauze, gets in the fur, paw goes to mouth to clean, taste gets in mouth)

I wouldn't let your cat drink the stuff, and doubt they would want to but I've used it for years to keep a cat from going at a injury little on the bandaging but not enough that it soaks threw works wonders

My computer keeps randomly BSODing - three times within the last week and many more times within the last month. Whenever I Google for answers what I get is always so complex and reliant on things I've never heard of before I don't know what to do. I'm nearly computer illitirate and I'm worried I might have a virus or a Trojan or something horrible like that. They recommend uninstalling the last programme to be installed, but I don't want to go through Steam's 11 hour installation wait again or have to give up playing Team Fortress 2...

What can I do to stop it?

Try downloading and running malwarebytes (free). If there's a nasty, it'll find it.

Then try disc cleanup, which will clear out LOADS of junk, in case you are plain FULL. And defrag, of course....

Okay, so, how do you deal with a ten-year-old who just decides they're the boss and any suggestion they make must absolutely be followed, and that they are the mightiest creature to ever exist? Seriously, I am fed up with this bratty kid. ._. I have a life, I can't take care of them 24/7, considering the piles of projects/homework I have to do daily/weekly. I get, what, two hours out of my 7-day-week just to relax, and all they want is to make me play with them for /hours/? I've tried talking to them, I've tried discussing it with their parents, ect. Nothing is working. I just want to flat out say 'Okay, kid, I get that you think you're God's little gift to humankind, but I don't give a censorkip.gif about what you want. No, really, leave me alone.' But that would make his parents mad. ._.

What's your relationship with the kid? Cousin or something? And do they only bother you during your free time or even when you're working?

If this is during the weekday, "Do your homework" might work. Otherwise I'd just tell them to leave me alone. And turning on the TV almost always works.

No idea if anyone in here has any knowledge of coding websites, but I might as well give it a try.

Does anyone have any idea how I would get new topics from a certain part of a phpBB forum to feed to an external html page? Without having any knowledge of php? Or any other scripting language?

I want news topics from my forum to automatically be shown on the portal page I'm building for said forum (or rather, I'm building a whole website around the forum, it's not just a portal page). But I have zero php knowledge and incredibly limited javascript knowledge; basically I just know html and css. I'm not using any cms or wordpress or the like, just plain old html and css xd.png