RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

If you touch them, the mother will reject and abandon them.

That's actually a (widely perpetuated) myth, but it's still a good idea to not touch. Most people shouldn't touch baby wildlife of any kind unless the circumstances are dire and *require* human intervention.

If the mother is still tending to the babies, my advice would be to try and set up some sort of barrier to keep the dogs away but still allow access for the mother. By the way, mother bunnies (does) typically only feed the babies once a day. You will not likely see her, as she will more than likely come at night or early morning when things are quiet.

Edited by danegrrrl

That's actually a (widely perpetuated) myth, but it's still a good idea to not touch. Most people shouldn't touch baby wildlife of any kind unless the circumstances are dire and *require* human intervention.

If the mother is still tending to the babies, my advice would be to try and set up some sort of barrier to keep the dogs away but still allow access for the mother. By the way, mother bunnies (does) typically only feed the babies once a day. You will not likely see her, as she will more than likely come at night or early morning when things are quiet.

Dunno where you got the idea that it's a myth from. Seen it happen loads of time in the years I was working rescue shelters.

Dunno where you got the idea that it's a myth from. Seen it happen loads of time in the years I was working rescue shelters.

I'm a licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator that has seen otherwise myself, and from other licensed WR's that specialize in wild rabbies/bunnies. That, and documented proof. wink.gif

People often think a mother has abandoned a nest simply because they do not see her around. It's not because she's abandoned them. It's because the does do not feed but once or twice a day, usually during the time humans are asleep.

The maternal instinct is strong in mammals. It would take a lot for a mother to abandon her young, despite how it smells.

It is a myth that rabbits will abandon their babies once human beings have touched them.

Myth #1 - IF YOU TOUCH A BABY BIRD (SQUIRREL, RABBIT, ETC.), THE MOTHER WILL REJECT IT.

Dispelling An Old Myth

Please note that it is a myth that a mother will not return to her babies if she smells human scent on them or if the nest has been disturbed.

Etc.

HAve you ever had a african dwarf frog or your friend/family? if so please answer the following:

1. What does it mean when they get bloated?

2. what does it mean when they're struggling to swim?

3. What does it mean when they are trying to get out of there water tank?

4. Why is my frog floating at the top of the tank?

If you don't have a african dwarf frog but your nice....Please help me come up with his illness he is dying and i need your help...

Have you tried taking him to the vet?

No I have'nt but i thinkit might even be too late and I think he may have dropsy HELP!

If it is dropsy - it is probably too late. the bloating sounds that way. But the floating thing sounds more bacterial.

google is my friend:

http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id18.html

But why ask us - you are wasting time and delaying helping the frog. Have you more than one ? If so you MUST get any others out of the tank, and fast.

Hmm...I had something similar with a Marsh frog once. He couldn't gt out of the water and was half dead whenI found him. I took him out and he recovered, but I still suggest taking yours to the vet ASAP. If he's trying to get out of the water, remove him. I think the problem with my frog was he became waterlogged, as frogs have absorbent skin and too much water = death sentence. So yes, o as others hve said and take him to a vet.

Thanks guys but sadly he is dead. I am very sad and will never forget him but thanks for your info. My other died from a bactierel (hope i spelled that right.....) infection not that long back like 2 months ago. Btw Rampaging Wyvern: African Dwarf Frogs ONLY live in water and are not to be handled much less takin out of water.

Edited by piggygirl859

Thanks guys but sadly he is dead. I am very sad and will never forget him but thanks for your info. My other died from a bactierel (hope i spelled that right.....) infection not that long back like 2 months ago. Btw Rampaging Wyvern: African Dwarf Frogs ONLY live in water and are not to be handled much less takin out of water.

If you ever get another - according to that website I linked - you must always remove a healthy one if you get sickness, and put it in a completely clean tank, or you will end up with both frogs sick.

If you ever get another - according to that website I linked - you must always remove a healthy one if you get sickness, and put it in a completely clean tank, or you will end up with both frogs sick.

Yes I know. I did. and anyways it has a totally differnt diease then the other had.....

Yes I know. I did. and anyways it has a totally differnt diease then the other had.....

Great. Just you seemed so unsure in your first post about the poor thing.

What was his name ?

sorry it took so long to see this im sorry to hear about your frog V.V i have a website that might be helpful to you

ask a vet

its a website that you can use to find out whats wrong with your pet.

I have two right now and they're fine. Heres my awnsers

1. How often are you feeding them and what are you feeding them. They should be fed with small pellets (fish pellets work fine too) and they should only be fed twice a week. I have mine on a monday and thursday feeding, also only 2 pellets per frog. If you have 2 frogs, then 4 pellets on monday and 4 on thursday.

2. Frogs should not have trubble swimming unless they are bloated or possably lost a limb. Frogs are amazing swimers. Any thing I can think of is when they shed their skin.

3. Water may have the wrong PH, temputer or no clean enough. Or they do not haveanough access to fresh air. NEVER WASH YOUR TANK WITH SOAP OR ANY CHEMICALS! Only rinse it with store baught sprint water and change the water, only the water every three months or so. You can buy simple PH testers, if you did clean the tank with soap or somthing then chances are the PH is off.

4. Becuase theyre bloated or tired or quite often they just like to. I just want to say that if the tempter is not abouit 70 degrees fhenhight then they might not last long. Simple thomonter should work to check it. If its too hot their matiblimus goes much faster and they won't have enough food. Too cold will make the frogs un-able to digest food, therefore they will have the food sit and root in their stomachs, get sick, and die.

Sorry for so many spelling errors. Sound out the words and you should understand it. I know lots about animals so if you do need any help with them, just PM me. If you have questions about keeping plants alive, adoid me at all coasts. wink.gif

By the way, I named mine, "I don't" and "know yet". Get it? Yeah I'm lame.

Also...

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html

Edited by libby2999

This might seem totally random, but I'd love to have a serious and hopefully even an informal answer.

So I've begun learning languages from several different people consisting of Russian, German, etc as well as giving lessons on Italian to some people, but it's been in a thread made for discussion of another topic. We do keep on topic, it's just a bit... odd? I was wondering if there was a topic section where I should/could post something like a 'Italian classes' or whatever. I wouldn't exactly count it as a game, and I was thinking in the General Discussion, but I wasn't totally sure. If you've seen something like this posted somewhere before or know where it should go, it would be superb if you could help me out. Thankies!

I would honestly just take something like that to PM.

Anybody have any good sources of information on bi-gender?

I have had this tree since it was a little sapling. I got it 14 years ago from arbor day.

So, the mystery is, what exactly is it?

Notes - Northwest missouri (hopefully a native plant?), First year it's produced berries/fruit/whatever, it's deciduous and drops leaves in the fall/winter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...ysteryplant.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...steryplant2.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...steryplant3.png

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

I have had this tree since it was a little sapling. I got it 14 years ago from arbor day.

So, the mystery is, what exactly is it?

Notes - Northwest missouri (hopefully a native plant?), First year it's produced berries/fruit/whatever, it's deciduous and drops leaves in the fall/winter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...ysteryplant.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...steryplant2.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...steryplant3.png

It almost looks like a red chokeberry, but I'm not 100% sure.

Do the leaves turn red before they drop in the fall?

What color are the blossoms when it blooms in the spring?

It almost looks like a red chokeberry, but I'm not 100% sure.

Do the leaves turn red before they drop in the fall?

What color are the blossoms when it blooms in the spring?

It's never actually blossomed before in the spring (leaves just bud) that I know of and it's the first year it's produced berries.

It also has not changed any vibrant colors either. The leaves just kind of turn brown and shrivel up and fall off. I've really just accounted this to it not being a mature plant yet. I'm keeping an eye on it as the trees are going to start changing soon.

Speaking of leaves, I remember that leaves help identify. Here is a closeup of a leaf. It's about 2 inches long without the stem

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Nig...mysteryleaf.png

Edit: Doing some research and measurements of the berries and leaves and height of the tree/shrub, I am very sure you are correct now. I'll just watch it when the leaves start changing to confirm.

Most happy to know that if my dog thinks she can eat the berries that they aren't toxic, they'll just make her mouth dry up.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox