RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

I am looking for an antivirus for my computer. I am looking at Kaspersky and Norton.

What do you guys think of them?

Norton has done me well this past year.

She's not on here anymore after the rules changed, if I'm not mistaken.

As for Antivirus I get by with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

Ok. Question time. For anyone else that gets eaten alive by mosquito bites like I do, have you ever found a repellent or something else that actually helps keep them from biting you?

I practically bathe in bug repellent during the summer and I still get covered in mosquito bites every damn day. So has anyone found a solution?

Ok. Question time. For anyone else that gets eaten alive by mosquito bites like I do, have you ever found a repellent or something else that actually helps keep them from biting you?

I practically bathe in bug repellent during the summer and I still get covered in mosquito bites every damn day. So has anyone found a solution?

This doesn't always work for me, but it does help to keep the number of bites down, I try my best to eat lots of garlic in the summer, because the bugs here don't like to chew on people that taste like garlic. Also, Avon makes a product called Skin So Soft, and that worked to keep sand fleas off me, for the most part.

The only trouble with skin so soft (aside from the smell) is that it only keeps bugs off the areas where it was applied. I've been bit in so many not fun places when using that stuff (inside ears, lips, around eyes, between toes, etc...)

Nope.

My friend used to use 100% DEET and that worked really really well (but it's also supposed to be really bad for you).

My best solution to date is smoke. I'm not talking about a cigarette, I'm talking about a campfire. Stand in the smoke and let it get into your clothes. They leave me alone for a few hours afterwards if I do that.

If you're looking for a natural alternative, try cedar oil. It works well. A spray of that and I'm not even touched by a single mosquito, let alone bitten by one. And that's comming from the "all-you-can-eat-mosquito-buffet."

McAfee. How do I get rid of it--or more accurately, how do I get rid of the traces it seems to have left behind despite being uninstalled?

It WAS on my grandparents computer. After it being uninstalled, the McAfee firewall is still there, and when they tried to install another antivirus it told 'em that McAfee was still installed and was incompatible with said idiotic program.

How the censorkip.gif do you get rid of this? It is unwanted, and nothing seems to work.

My sister has the same problem with Norton which came installed on her computer when she bought it. Someone told me that a registry entry needed to be edited to remove every last trace of it, but I don't have any formal training with computers, so besides not knowing how I would also say I wouldn't recommend it cause it can seriously screw up a computer if done wrong.

My Sims 3 Launcher hasn't been perfect for a while. It's stopped responding after I've clicked to play the game, and that's been okay. Mildly annoying, but okay. Now it's refusing to open altogether, and I'm wondering if there's anything I could do, other than uninstall and reinstall the game?

It may have started in the previous two game updates I've done, not all too sure... >>

/Sims withdrawals :c

How often do you shut down your computer or do you keep it running all the time? Because I had a similar problem with MS Word a few weeks back. My dad ruled it out as a crashing issue, where Word had tried to close but failed and because I kept my laptop on constantly for two weeks those loose ends never had the chance to fix themselves. If a simple restart of your computer doesn't fix things, try a force quit. The problem could also have something to do with your Internet connection, as I assume the game requires it. But I am not tech savvy whatsoever. You've probably tried that anyways.

@ WonderBubbles: What system are you on? The Sims 3 port to Mac is notoriously censorkipped, and the only way to keep it running is pretty much to periodically uninstall and reinstall it. The good news is, your game data is stored in separate folders. You can back up your sims and houses pretty easily.

I don't know much about Sims 3 on PC, but I did play Sims and Sims 2 on PC, and I remember sometimes having to uninstall and reinstall, and it was always pretty easy to back up the households. Whatever system you're on, I'm sure you can find a tutorial to back things up on google.

I don't know what's with the Sims. It's a great game, but it's kind of... never put together quite right or something. Good luck!

Edited by Sadako

I use a PC and it's a desktop, so it's turned off every night... x3

Our internet connection is fine, but I don't think it really requires one to play the game?

Thanks for your help. x3 I might have to back the stuff up, then re-install it..

My sister has the same problem with Norton which came installed on her computer when she bought it. Someone told me that a registry entry needed to be edited to remove every last trace of it, but I don't have any formal training with computers, so besides not knowing how I would also say I wouldn't recommend it cause it can seriously screw up a computer if done wrong.

I figured it'd be something I can't safely mess around with. And I don't trust the guy they had fix it last time--he talked 'em into spending $100 they didn't need to spend.

Ah well, as long as it's not really screwing things up, I suppose it doesn't matter too much... I just hate it with a burning passion. xd.png (And they're sick of it begging them to renew it...)

I can't view any images hosted on tinypic. I've tried every single suggestion on the first two pages of google for any variation of my search term I could find, to no avail. It doesn't matter what browser I use: Firefox/Chrome and even IE, I've flushed my DNS cache, deleted my history and temporary internet files, but nothing. Not only can I not see any images that anyone has hosted on that site, I can't even get to the homepage. Though if I use tracert with a destination of tinypic.com, the packages get to the destination just fine.

What's a relatively affordable laptop that I would be able to play computer games on, like Skyrim? I'm using a Toshiba that's a few years old (I think 2007...but I'm not sure how to check), and every time I try to play Sims 2 on it, it'll burn out after about 30 minutes to an hour. And I'd really like to be able to play Skyrim, but my moms are forcing me to purchase my own laptop. Plus, this one has issues with Word programs (freezes up if I try to mess with certain settings or print), so I need to be able to do homework on it. e_e

I don't have that great of a budget, but if I can find a relatively affordable model, I'd be willing to save up for it. I just don't know what to look for or how to look for it. ><

I don't know for sure, but I think that my new computer can handle Skyrim. I'll try it out soon.

It is a $600 laptop made by acer with an intel i5 core in it and 4GB of ram. This is the 13.3" acer timelinex.

Do a bit of research at places like newegg.com and frys.com and you'll probably find much better information. Also look at the minimum system requirements games you want to play have.

You should really consider getting a gaming desktop computer instead of a gaming laptop seeing as how gaming desktop computers tend to be so much better for gaming than gaming laptops at the same price.

Edited by kallico

Yes, but my main focus is using a laptop right now, I don't want to be in possession of both. I need a new laptop for college anyway, I want to be able to do both things at once :S

It sort of depends on how high of a quality games you want to play. You're not going to be running anything on high with that budget on a laptop.

I use a PC and it's a desktop, so it's turned off every night... x3

Our internet connection is fine, but I don't think it really requires one to play the game?

Thanks for your help. x3 I might have to back the stuff up, then re-install it..

Try running it from TS3W.exe and skipping the evil launcher. TS3W.exe should be in Game/bin? Look around in the Sims 3 program files. You do not require an Internet connection to play Sims 3 at all, unless you want to use the Store in game or something.

Edited by Princess Artemis

I figured it'd be something I can't safely mess around with.  And I don't trust the guy they had fix it last time--he talked 'em into spending $100 they didn't need to spend.

Ah well, as long as it's not really screwing things up, I suppose it doesn't matter too much...  I just hate it with a burning passion.  xd.png  (And they're sick of it begging them to renew it...)

Try cccleaner or ashampoo winoptimiser - both safely downloadable from http://download.cnet.com/windows/

They clean up invalid registry entries etc. for you. I use both at times and nothing evil has happened to me yet.... Uninstall the offending programme (it will likely have reinstalled itself) and then run whichever you decide on. In winoptimizer the module you want is the registry optimizer. I forget with ccleaner as it is on the other machine....

But do make sure you are not on line with no AV running....

ETA there are also some good uninstallers on that website.

Edited by fuzzbucket

It sort of depends on how high of a quality games you want to play. You're not going to be running anything on high with that budget on a laptop.

Whatever quality of game Skyrim is. I don't know much about computer games because I've always been more of a console person, but I'm trying to get into it. So before I can do that, I need a computer that I can actually play them on.

The 600$ one that someone mentioned earlier is worth looking into, I think. I don't need a strictly gaming laptop, just something that can handle it fine.