*~Soren~*

Art Credits for Eggs

I'm ok with what Kila and Marri have said. Credits on the egg page would be ok, though I personally don't think it's really necessary. I agree that it shouldn't be enough to get a palette, or access to the artists only area. And guys? I'm one of those who are affected by this discussion. I did the egg for a dragon that is in-cave. In no way do I think that should qualify me as a site artist. As Kila indicated, the most elaborate of the eggs is still easy compared to doing the dragons themselves. I had some pretty strict requirements to meet for the GoN egg, and it still only took me a couple days.

i agree

i've made a couple eggs that are waiting on the completed list, my autumn egg was put into place thanks to Shiro's amazing adults

i don't need a palette or access to the hidden area, but credit near the bottom would be a great honor but that is up to TJ to decide

Hello I am preety new I do not know a lot.If you want to give me some advise messge me.smile.gif

~Warned for spam~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Hello I am preety new I do not know a lot.If you want to give me some advise messge me.smile.gif

Don't spam in random threads.

But, yeah, I agree with what's been said. Some eggs are pretty complicated, but still take nowhere near the amount of time or effort as the actual dragon sprites.

I'd be okay with this only if the people doing eggs weren't given palettes or admission into the artist area.

Anyone can make an egg. Anyone. And the work pales in comparison to the work put into the hatchlings, adults, and actual concept.

This :3

Though I cannot make a decent egg to save my life. I ask other people to make them for me '^'

I'm probably going to get shot for this, but here goes~

I'd be okay with this only if the people doing eggs weren't given palettes or admission into the artist area.

Anyone can make an egg. Anyone. And the work pales in comparison to the work put into the hatchlings, adults, and actual concept.

This. I'm no spriter, but even though the eggs are getting intricate, I doubt they compare to the adult and hatchie sprites

i don't know if i agree with egg artists getting credits, since not even the lineart or shading is theirs. i'm all for giving credit where it's due, but it's like slapping avatar navi markings on the mona lisa and wanting recognition for it.

i don't know if i agree with egg artists getting credits, since not even the lineart or shading is theirs. i'm all for giving credit where it's due, but it's like slapping avatar navi markings on the mona lisa and wanting recognition for it.

Actually, some of the eggs, if not most of the newer ones, do have custom shading. Take the hellfires, sunsongs, terraes, deepseas, magmas, etc for example. More and more dragons in concept also have more complex eggs with quite exquisite markings as well.

That's not to say that I think the original idea is completely necessary, but I'm just pointing it out.

Edited by lilyice

*shrug* I made the Nebula egg from scratch, yet it took maybe 20 minutes whereas the rest of the set took myself and Sif close to 2 months, I think.

So yeah. *shrug* Eggs can be whipped up in a jiffy for an experienced spriter.

*shrug* I made the Nebula egg from scratch, yet it took maybe 20 minutes whereas the rest of the set took myself and Sif close to 2 months, I think.

So yeah. *shrug* Eggs can be whipped up in a jiffy for an experienced spriter.

Yeah, true. But for me, its partly to satisfy my curiosity. When I look at the festival of eggs page, it feels empty without the artists listed at the bottom.

Okay, maybe I'm just weird.

Well the Easter event page is completely different from normal eggs. Even if credit was added for eggs, it wouldn't inherently apply to the event page.

xd.png I guess we can take that as a no to the idea from you, TJ? Aha, you love messing with our heads, don't you. tongue.gif

XD I guess we can take that as a no to the idea from you, TJ? Aha, you love messing with our heads, don't you. :P

It's neither a yes nor a no, Soren. He's only pointing out a fact.

As for myself, I would like to see credit for Easter event eggs listed on the site, but for the regular dragon eggs, meh, I don't really see a point in providing credit for them. But that's my own personal opinion.

It's neither a yes nor a no, Soren. He's only pointing out a fact.

Yeah, I know. :3 It just seems like that's TJ's way of being silly by beating around the bush in that way. lulz

Sorry for sort of just jumping into this subject really late o: but I was wondering..

It's already incredibly hard for people to get in contact with all the artists for one sprite, so what would happen if you throw an egg spriter in the mix?

For example, if Dove asked Marri for permission to use her X dragon in a shirt design or something, but I made the egg for X dragon and said that I didn't want her to do it what would happen?

Like even now with hatchlings, even if an artist were to be entirely responsible for a hatchling often times people won't make a signature unless they get the adult spriter's permission as well.

I'm not saying "NO THIS IS A BAD IDEA DON'T DO IT I HATE U" because I wouldn't mind credit for some of the amazing eggs out there. I'm not necessarily attempting to throw a wrench in your plan, just sort of throwing out questions now so the won't have to be dealt with later.

While we're at it...Do people really need credit for doing the flats of a dragon if we end up sticking to the old "egg=no credit" system? An idiot can pick colours from paint and use the fill bucket. I don't think it's right that people can get into the cave for just doing the flats...When I used to let people do flats it was because they asked if they could practice or show me a colour suggestion. But recently I'm beginning to think that certain types of people just want an easy ride into the cave.

So yeah, I agree with giving credits for the small things, but not automatically allowing people to become an in-cave for simple work. I don't expect to become an in-cave for edits and redlines and they take far more work. Heck, I don't even demand credit for it! Just my opinion.

I suppose I agree with giving credit for eggs and flats,

Sorry for sort of just jumping into this subject really late o: but I was wondering..

It's already incredibly hard for people to get in contact with all the artists for one sprite, so what would happen if you throw an egg spriter in the mix?

For example, if Dove asked Marri for permission to use her X dragon in a shirt design or something, but I made the egg for X dragon and said that I didn't want her to do it what would happen?

Like even now with hatchlings, even if an artist were to be entirely responsible for a hatchling often times people won't make a signature unless they get the adult spriter's permission as well.

I'm not saying "NO THIS IS A BAD IDEA DON'T DO IT I HATE U" because I wouldn't mind credit for some of the amazing eggs out there. I'm not necessarily attempting to throw a wrench in your plan, just sort of throwing out questions now so the won't have to be dealt with later.

Would it really be a problem? If you just made the egg, you'd have no right to the adult art whatsoever - - it wouldn't be your call. :\

Would it really be a problem? If you just made the egg, you'd have no right to the adult art whatsoever - - it wouldn't be your call. :\

i agree with JOTB on this

if the egg sprite is being used than yeah, but if it is just the adult then i don't think the egg artist has say about the adult sprite

on a side note, i suggested in the BSA sub-forum about mints collecting egg shell pieces and them being displayed on a separate page similar to the easter eggs

if this is put into place what if that page could display the names of egg artists?

You'd be surprised at how many people try taking credit for things that had little influence in o:

I've seen a lot of dragons that can't have signatures made or in-shop designs done for just because one person might be away for too long, even when said person did almost nothing. TJ doesn't always know how much work was put into the dragon by each person, and even then different people have different opinions on a major and a minor contribution. I actually happen to know of one person who did very minor edits who claimed that it was their dragon :/ only to have the main artist ignored practically ignored.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, I'm just pointing out the speed bumps.

That is a point, Dis....but if we made it clear that doing eggs (and only eggs) didn't let you into the cave or give you artist rights, I think it would be okay. I mean, mostly I think it would be nice because I'm curious about who did what and because bragging rights are fun xd.png

But of course, there would probably be people who try to take advantage of it.

o: I'm pretty much on the same page as you to be honest.

ALSO how big of an egg edit do you have to do for credit? Because techncially 3 pixels doesn't seem like a lot, but when the egg itself is only a handful of pixels that fraction gets a little bigger.

I think you should only get credit if you have made a custom pattern or texture for the egg. Say three different people got credit for the magma, stone and geode, yet only one made the texture, it wouldn't be fair on that person. Also, custom cracking should be credited too.

well the magma egg is a good example cause so much work was put into that to get it looking good

i remember when the seasonals came out i was like O__O that's my egg i designed and i was so proud, because i believe everything else about them were shiro's except my autumn egg, correct me if i'm wrong i can't remember but i'm 90% sure he made the other 3 eggs

I have to say, some of the new ones are pretty gorgeous and intricate. The 'no credits for eggs' was created when most if not all of the eggs were single-color... now you have glossy effects like the Hellfire and Shallow Water, patterns like Vampire and Terrae... I think there's credit due now.

This.