*~Soren~*

Art Credits for Eggs

I know most of them are just a solid color, but some eggs really do have some work put into them, especially newer ones. It would be nice to give credit to whoever made them, and I'm personally interested.

Anyone agree?

I agree. Although I haven't made any eggs for the site yet, I am currently starting to put forth eggy contrebutions, and if I did make an egg for the site, I would want credit for it. So I agree.

i think it was pointed out somewhere that only eggs with their own cracking system would have credit *is shot*

I partially agree, while on some points i don't.

I have to say, some of the new ones are pretty gorgeous and intricate. The 'no credits for eggs' was created when most if not all of the eggs were single-color... now you have glossy effects like the Hellfire and Shallow Water, patterns like Vampire and Terrae... I think there's credit due now.

Definitely,

Especially with these fancy new designs, Credit is really due when the eggs are nearly as gorgeous as the dragon.

Would the fix be easy to make?

(I doubt you'd have to go through every egg there ever was and change it xd.png

I'm talking about problems like finding who made the egg, if there were several contributors, and if a template for the egg was used, and who made the template....complications like that.)

The basic egg template was made by TJ09...and most of the older dragon eggs were made by him as well, if memory serves.

TJ made the egg template, so he'd get some credit for each egg. Doesn't matter much, though.

I think it'd be nice, especially considering the more intricate egg designs being made nowadays.

The artists who created the eggs are given credit on the dragcave wiki (Example --scroll to the bottom of the page where sprite artists are listed.)

That seems to me to be sufficient. Yes, there was a fair amount of work put into some of the eggs, but it's still far less than what is needed for an adult sprite.

I don't see any harm in it. And I kinda like knowing who did what. I'm a bit weird that way.

Besides, they might be less than what's on the adults- but just because its less doesn't mean there wasn't effort.

edit: Kila's idea seems fine. I agree that egg creators make some pretty stuff, but an egg does not an artist make.

Edited by Completely Different

I'm probably going to get shot for this, but here goes~

I'd be okay with this only if the people doing eggs weren't given palettes or admission into the artist area.

Anyone can make an egg. Anyone. And the work pales in comparison to the work put into the hatchlings, adults, and actual concept.

I'd be okay with this only if the people doing eggs weren't given palettes or admission into the artist area.

Anyone can make an egg. Anyone. And the work pales in comparison to the work put into the hatchlings, adults, and actual concept.

I'm cool with that, actually.

Murr, I'm thinking the eggs are important, too? Maybe if a lot of work was put into them (i.e. the spriter for the egg didn't just copy the egg onto paint and switch the color), then maybe they should get credit?

I agree with this.

I hadn't thought of that. Do you think that having your name on there somehow automatically gives you admission by some coding trick, and that's why TJ doesn't put artists names on it?

But anyway, I have to agree, Kila. Um, is a palette, the little symbol next to your female and mod symbol?

I hadn't thought of that. Do you think that having your name on there somehow automatically gives you admission by some coding trick, and that's why TJ doesn't put artists names on it?

But anyway, I have to agree, Kila. Um, is a palette, the little symbol next to your female and mod symbol?

No, it doesn't automatically add them in. TJ has to tell the system to allow user X to see the section.

But the palette (the symbol between my gender sign and mod sign), means that we've worked on an actual dragon/hatchling in the cave. Eggs never got credit because they were originally done by TJ.

My name isn't listed under the Leetle Tree, either, as it's technically an egg, and I'm fine with that.

Yes some eggs are veary well decorated, and I belive those who created them should get creitit.

This. To be honest, it didn't even cross my mind that egg artists would be given access to the artists section or given palettes. Although, in most cases it seems like people who worked on hatchlings and adults are also the ones to do the eggs.

But yeah. Still agreed.

(Although not everyone can make an egg. I certainly can't. If it was just filling it in with one color, sure, but I don't understand shading or pretty-ness at all. :P)

It would be nice for a person to at least get public credit for the egg, even if that is all they get, yes an egg is a ton easier to make than a hatchling or adult, but still, some of the more detailed designs are pretty impressive.

I just don't think people should be 'getting in cave' for eggs. I have no problem with egg credits being viewable, but like... It's an egg. It's not exactly the same as making a full dragon.

I support this as well.

Me, too. Credit should be given, especially with the more elaborate eggs (suns, glory, GoN, nebula - just to name a few) or cracking system (electrics, magma) or for people who created the templates (like for the stone/geode/magma egg template - if it is the same egg with different colors, as it seems to be).

Still, I have to agree that the amount of work put into an egg is hardly enough to get into the artists' section because a) you are given the general shape, cool.gif they're pretty small and c) you're given a number of templates to work with.

I'm ok with what Kila and Marri have said. Credits on the egg page would be ok, though I personally don't think it's really necessary. I agree that it shouldn't be enough to get a palette, or access to the artists only area. And guys? I'm one of those who are affected by this discussion. I did the egg for a dragon that is in-cave. In no way do I think that should qualify me as a site artist. As Kila indicated, the most elaborate of the eggs is still easy compared to doing the dragons themselves. I had some pretty strict requirements to meet for the GoN egg, and it still only took me a couple days.