Wookieinmashoo

About Ratios

I know I shouldn't be doing this because I'm horrible at keeping track of things, but I think it needs to be done. I'm also not sure how to go about doing this.

I guess I should start off here:

The Questions

What are these ratios people keep talking about?

The "ratios" is just a term given to the spawning rate of eggs through the cave and through breeding. It works, well, in ratios.

Here's a scenario:

Let's say there are 40,000 common dragons in existence. For every 1,000 commons, there may be a gold dragon. So for another gold dragon or egg to be created, another 1,000 commons would have to be created. This is a balancing system to keep common dragons common and rare dragons rare. The common dragons are what keeps the rares rare.

Are eggs or dragons in the Wild are covered by the ratios?

Not any longer. ...........edited by Rubyshoes

Why are eggs like caveborn blacks so uncommon now?

It's all part of the ratios. For every black dragon the ratios makes, it's most likely going to be a bred black dragon because there is very little chance the cave will get to make a black dragon.

A way to explain it would be similar to a manufacturer. Toy company A has a great new toy, and they're selling tons. They are selling so much in fact, that they have very little time to make their old toy anymore. Almost all time and expense is put into making this new toy (new toy meaning bred blacks). The ratios are pumping out bred black dragons because so many people are breeding them. The only exception is that the old toy, the CB black, is in very high demand for some players.

If people want these caveborn eggs, then why do they breed them so much?

There are only a handful of dragons types that are hard to get CB varieties of. The metallic dragons, the silver and gold, are bred for trades and for gifts. They are rare dragons and are in great demand. The same may be said for the trios, but to a lesser extent. Both black dragons and vine dragons have alternate sprites that can only be gotten through breeding and are rare and in high demand. White dragons and black dragons (again) are used in lineages very often because they are a favorite when breeding other dragons possibly because they look nice in the lineage.

These dragons, along with a few others, are difficult to find as caveborn because they are bred for many reasons by many people.

Why doesn't TJ do something about this?

It is not TJ's place to do anything about what the players do. People play in different ways and there is nothing wrong with that. People have suggested getting rid of the ratios or making rares unbreedable (which kills the reason for CB dragons to begin with). There are also some who think TJ has created a good working system does not require a lot of time and effort. It's a system that works on its own. That doesn't mean we as players cannot try to do something about it ourselves. And this is what this thread is about.

There has been the idea of keeping two separate ratios, one for breeding and one for cave dropped eggs, but for now the best we can do is help the ratios ourselves.

How to Help

there are two threads dedicated to both the black and vine dragons to encourage less breeding to allow more CB eggs to be spawned (or dropped if "spawning" makes you laugh).

These threads have actually brought success for many players, as they were able to catch these CB eggs that have been seen only rarely.But continued success means there needs to be continued interest.

The Ideas for More CB EGGS:

1. Don't breed these dragons. Even a little helps. If there are certain ones you would like to breed, but others you don't, then that's great too. A little less breeding will go a long way.

2. Do you keep seeing long glineaged or inbreds of this dragon on the abandoned page? Pick them up. They need a place to go. This also gives you several options...

-Any egg that is picked up can be hatched and frozen as a hatchling. Hatchlings themselves can be caught and frozen. A frozen hatchling means that it will never breed to make more of its kind. Here you can release the hatchling if you would like to. If you release the hatchling, the "freeze" you just used on it will be gotten back, so there is no loss in freeze chances. Hatchlings also make great name placeholders. Just name your hatchling what you want to name a future dragon. When you get that dragon, release the hatchling (it's name will be lost) and name your new dragon the same name.

-Other people would rather use the Earthquake BSA to kill masses of these eggs. An earthquaked egg that results in death, will allow another egg of the same type to be spawned, even a CB egg. Earthquake can also clear the abandoned page of a great number of eggs that will sit clog it up. For people finding this "cruel", if you do not want to do this, then don't. Do not harass other players who choose to do things their way. Also, though I do not think it is proven, Earthquake, does not count as a "kill" if the results are a death.

-Do you love vampires? Then start biting! vampires are one of the most helpful dragons. They not only remove an "unwanted" dragon from the ratios, but they make something people will grab up from the abandoned page.

3. Practice responsible breeding. Though there is nothing wrong with an inbred dragon, many people frown upon the action and the dragon would be considered of "less value" if it is long lineaged or inbred. If you choose to inbreed, make sure to have a new owner for your egg if you do not plan on keeping it yourself. It would most likely only sit on the abandoned page otherwise.

4. Have fun! There are ways to have fun with responsible breeding and frozen hatchlings. Just be creative :3

There's another half of the ratios: There are certain common eggs that pop up too often in the main cave. How would one go about helping to make other common eggs appear more often, instead of having the same ones repeatedly?

The Ideas for Less CB Commons:

1. Pick the eggs up! These eggs will continue to sit at the main cave, preventing other eggs from moving in the drop, until they are picked up.

2. Breed these dragons. A little breeding can go a long way. There are ways to keep this breeding responsible also:

-A great way to help and make it fun too is to make a lineage, or join a lineage with this common dragon in it. You never know...you might just be breeding a lineage that catches on. Be creative in your personal lineages and give your dragons some names.

- If you have a short lineaged rare, breed an overly common cave dropped dragon with it.

- Breed short lineaged commons with new release. New releases get grabbed up, so if you want to breed one, breed it with a CB common.

3. Remember to be responsible. A common dragon is a great addition to any collection, but an inbred common will more than likely get ignored. We don't want to clog the AP.

4. Don't kill them. Killing these eggs will get the us nowhere because they will only likely be replaced by another CB of its type. Remember, killing a common won't make more rares appear. The rares are rare because of the commons.

Working with the Abandoned Page

If you do abandon an egg, it goes the the Abandoned Page, or AP. Someone has to take these eggs, which is why it is important to breed responsibly. There will always be long lineaged or inbred eggs on the AP. Sadly, many people do not like inbreds (unless they are from a particular lineage) so they will sit until someone who doesn't care about lineages picks them up. Inbreeding is part of the game and some people enjoy making lineages with inbred dragons. There is nothing wrong with this. It is not a good idea to harass a player who does either. It's their choice.

That being said, there are some " save the commons" threads you can join if you want to help clear the AP.

Links

Remember, some of these groups have their own rules! Read the Original post carefully and respect those rules.

Bring Back the CB Vines-Breed less vines in hopes for more CB vines

Bring Back the CB Blacks- Don't breed your blacks for a chance to get the elusive CB black. There has been great success.

The Evil Project- They're picking up unwanted eggs and hatching them into hatchlings and then putting them back on the AP. Why? Because no one can resist the hatchlings...

Operation Wreaking Ball- Picking up commons to tear down the AP wall

So do you Want a Silver?- Saving commons can have its rewards, even a nice rare.

The Unalt Army-Making an army, one unalt at a time

On the Breeding of Pinks and Pebbles- From the days when pink dragons ruled the AP

Hell's Gate Organization

The Breeding Oath- Serious about responsible breeding? Take the oath

Inbred Shelter- find a home for your inbred eggs and hatchlings

Other Help

Mods.This thread will need them. I'm not good at keeping track of things, but I felt this kinda needed to be done. Anyone that wants to help with the project would be greatly appreciated. Any people who want to help gather data on what dragon needs saving would be great too. Make banners if you want, they will be wanted. Hopefully I won't completely fail at this.

About this thread

This thread was originally here to cover "Save the ____" threads. Instead, I think it would do better as a "news" topic. With each new release, come new rares and new common. I'll try to keep this thread up to date.

Edited by rubyshoes

Aiming for CB

With a new release and the ratios meant to forget "old" releases, many of the original dragons have become rare for many reasons. The "Rare Trading Center" has recently listed a few old CB commons as rare. Some people like this new change and creates more of a challenge in getting older eggs. Other people dislike the change because it may seem too difficult to get these CB dragon and it puts new players at a disadvantage. This list I hope to keep updated with what dragons are rarely seen in the cave and why they are so rare as CB dragons.The reasons may help people understand why these dragons are heavily bred.

Black -lineages, alts

Vine- alts

White-lineages

Metallics-lineages,"commodity"

Stripe-lineages, alts

Trios-BSA, "commodity"

Pebble-BSA,hybrids

Suns-lineages

Water-hybrids

Pink-BSA

Red-BSA

Magi-hybrids

Over Common Dragons

The last three releases are some of the most common dragons in the cave. Help them out with a little breeding. Some dragons have also stayed common, despite all the changes that have happened.

Canopy

Neotropical

Waterwalker

Deep sea

Terrae

Nocturne

Balloon

BBW

Banners

That DeadGirl has made some lovely banners:

user posted image

[*IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2ef6hdt.jpg[/img]

user posted image

[*IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2h31wzq.jpg[/img]

user posted image

[*IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/t0rhv8.jpg[/img]

user posted image

[*IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/5ahvde.jpg[/img]

user posted image

[*IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/21267uh.jpg[/img]

user posted image

[*IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/oswc90.jpg[/img]

Running Lineages

These lineages feature some of the more common dragons, many of which are leaneages for all dragons:

Fith Element lineage-a lineage for many types of dragons, mostly commons.

The Winding Circle Lineage-A lineage featuring various commons;based on a book series by Tamora Pierce.

Poetry,Songs, and Jest Projects- a "create your own" lineage with a little twist for the writers

Alice in Wonderland Lineage- A lineage for various dragons. Check out the Mad Hatter side of the lineage for some all green dragons an a place for mints and Neos

Manga lineage- Short on the rules and the participants, but it seems all dragons are welcome.

Star Trek Lineage-it's a lineage for Star Trek peoples...and any dragon breed is welcome.

Go Green Lineage- A lineage of green dragons to raise awareness.

Dragon Riders of Pern Lineage- If you're a Pern fan, this may be the lineage for you. Many dragon breeds are accepted.

How to Train Your Dragon Lineage- A lineage with seven branches, three of which include dragon breeds that could use some help in breeding.

Dragons Against Cancer Lineage- Another awareness lineage with many dragon breeds included.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

I personally think this is something very useful for people to read. It will help them understand what they can do to help insure there will be more of the CB''s that people want. This explains it really well.

This is awesome! Never knew that about releasing frozens. Guess I don't have any more excuse for not grabbing those black and vine hatchlings I see.

This is awesome! Never knew that about releasing frozens. Guess I don't have any more excuse for not grabbing those black and vine hatchlings I see.

I've been freezing and releasing blacks and vines for ages. I release them so I can keep my freeze slots open to freeze more. I knew that they helped tip the ratios some and I try to help when I am able.

Nice post Wookieinmashoo, very well said and thorough. You can add me to the silver and gold lists, I'm already part of the Bring Back the CB blacks project and the Unalt Army. smile.gif I'm not likely to be able to breed metallics anyway. I've bred every single one consistently and haven't gotten one in about two months. I will hold off on all that are not special lineages though.

Add me to the Waterwalker list (since I have none anyway), the Balloon list and the Whiptail list.

Thread got away from me for a while (Wasn't feeling too great)

There were a couple things added to the list, but overall, I appreciate the sign ups :3

It's hard to tell what eggs seem to be dropping most with all the new eggs in the way, but the major common eggs still seem to be the ones I have listed. That being so, if anyone notices any changes, let me know here or through PM.

Also, it's up to the person joining how many dragons they will or will not breed/pick up and for how long. The longer the better and the more the better.

I'm contemplating on trying to get together an event ("The Big Bite") in which people pick up long lineaged or inbred eggs for 3 days and wait until a certain time to have them all bitten and put onto the AP. If i can get enough people interested it will probably happen at the end of July, giving enough time to get "kills" back in time for Halloween zombie making.

I'll also see if I can't compile a list of lineages featuring some of the more under appreciated dragons.

I've been freezing and releasing blacks and vines for ages. I release them so I can keep my freeze slots open to freeze more. I knew that they helped tip the ratios some and I try to help when I am able.

What do u mean by helping with the ratio? -ish confused-

I grab and freeze all the time. I keep some, I let some go.

Don't add me to the list. smile.gif I like my own little personal projects that I've got going currently. I will say that I'll freeze and release any lesser-seen dragons that I breed that I don't want for my own projects, unless it's something I think someone would enjoy.

Okay, if I have this right, what you want us to do is breed more of the commons so they stop showing up in the cave (freeze and release or whatever the product of that breeding so it doesn't just turn around and come back out of the cave again, too), and less of the rares and uncommons so they start showing up again in the cave, right? So, I should breed more waterwalkers, mints, balloons, etc (I can breed more sunsongs, no problem, especially since the MM eggs seem to be so prevalent in the cave atm) and breed my silver less. Got it.

Well, I guess I will try to help. ^^ I learned a lot from this thread... now I just need to figure out what I can do to contribute.

Love this! I will not breed mah stripes unless needed. Or unless someone asks. smile.gif yay! And I NEVER breed mah blacks, cause they are all frozen xd.png And I will be breeding mah BBW's cause they get taken quickly on the ap and I will breed and get an army and try to help them get more uncommon smile.gif

...Didn't know about the freeze/release rule. I do Hell's Gate for this, but that requires keeping the frozens, so I guess I just never noticed. Interesting.

Well, as an earthquaker, I can confirm that I still got all my five kills even though I "killed" 23 eggs with the "eartquake" action.

Apart from Vines and Blacks, I definitely love to see more

Reds, Pebbles (Green), Stripes and Suns in the cave.

I hope that it is just the aftermath of the latest release and that over the next couple of weeks at least reds and pebbles will be more common again.

Okay, if I have this right, what you want us to do is breed more of the commons so they stop showing up in the cave (freeze and release or whatever the product of that breeding so it doesn't just turn around and come back out of the cave again, too), and less of the rares and uncommons so they start showing up again in the cave, right? So, I should breed more waterwalkers, mints, balloons, etc (I can breed more sunsongs, no problem, especially since the MM eggs seem to be so prevalent in the cave atm) and breed my silver less. Got it.

That is the general gist of it, yes.

Also, you decide to breed what yo want to breed. This thread is simply here to help people understand and keep track of things. Breeding one silver probably won't hurt much of anything, but for each non silver egg produce, you have to think of the outcome for the egg. It won't be a second or third gen egg, so it may get ignored longer on the AP. I don't see a problem with breeding one silver unless its mate is causing it to constantly make long lineaged vine, white, black, etc. eggs. I am keeping one silver to breed and picked a mate for him that I think would complement his lineage. I really don't care much for certain lineages, but whatever causes his children to get adopted an named more quickly would help. Picking a mate from a dragon breed that appears too frequently in the cave, will help the main cave out while adding variety to the AP. This is if you decide to abandon the egg, which I don't think anyone will begrudge.

I really like the thread and hope that many CBs will come back.

It is very useful when I knew what I can do to bring the CBs back. smile.gif

I already stopped breeding my metallics, whites and my blacks, you can put me on those lists.

Unfortunately I can't stop breeding my stripes and vines yet, but their eggs are wanted and not ending up as AP cloggers.

Well, as an earthquaker, I can confirm that I still got all my five kills even though I "killed" 23 eggs with the "eartquake" action.

Apart from Vines and Blacks, I definitely love to see more

Reds, Pebbles (Green), Stripes and Suns in the cave.

I hope that it is just the aftermath of the latest release and that over the next couple of weeks at least reds and pebbles will be more common again.

Ditto.

I've killed over 80 at one time and still had all my kills.

I'd like to see more Pebbles in the cave mainly. I always trip over myself when I see them there. <3

Also Stripes and Blacks. Stripes because I'm an even gen stripe breeder and that requires lots of CB stripes, and blacks because I love seeing blacks that aren't inbred or long lineaged. (Also, I think they're pretty dragons.)

I'll update the posts as soon as I can. Right now they for some reason won't let me edit them....they just go blank after I put something in :/

Edited by Wookieinmashoo