Elorendil

Stargate Fans, unite!

Do you watch any of the Stargate series?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ooh, there's already a Stargate thread. I don't know if any of you guys are interested in fandom activities, but I've been having oodles of fun over at Stargateland on livejournal. The premise is that there is one central community, which is also divided into teams. When you join you're put on a team, and Stargateland sends out challenges for members to complete for points. The challenges can be anything from jigsaw puzzles to fanfic prompts to graphics. All challenges are optional; most folks just do the ones that inspire them. The team with the most points at the end of the phase- kind of like a season- is declared the winner, and it starts all over again.

The community is about to undergo an overhaul, starting with a short social phase in September as a sort of meet-and-greet before getting back into the main competition, so it's a perfect time for new members to jump in. To get started you just check out the Rules and FAQ and then head over to the Sign-up Post and use the form provided.

happy.gif' That turned out longer than expected. Anyway, I just blasted through SGA and I was very impressed with it. I loved SG1 back in the day, but I never saw the latter half. I'm itching to finish it when I'm back in a stable internet situation.

Edited by TieDyeOblivion

Welcome to the thread, TDO! Glad to hear you are a Gater. smile.gif Stargateland sounds interesting, if I had time I would be tempted to join. I've been hanging out at GateWorld for about a year now, I love the forum! Very lively, lots of art making, and although it focuses on SG, it also has lively discussions about all sorts of other sci-fi shows.

I thought they did a nice job with SGA. I'll actually be re-watching that at some point here, LBD and I have been watching through SG1 together and have plans to start on SGA once we finish. We're currently in Season 8, so it will be a while before we get to SGA...

Curious, question for anyone into LJ fandom: Do you guys not have an anonymous prompt (kink) meme or similar anywhere? Even the kind that repeatedly run for a few days and die out?

Loved the movie, then fell in love with SG1 and then really loved SGA. HATED SGU!

From the series I liked

SG1: Jack, Daniel and Cam the most.

SGA: Sheppard, McKay and Ronon the most

SGU: No one!

I just started watching StarGate SG-1 for the first time, and it's really cool biggrin.gif

I've known there was a tv show for a long time. I didn't know there was a movie until one day there was nothing on cable. I sat and watched and fell in love with it. My library has all the seasons and I've been watching through that. Well that was until I was late returning one of the DVD box sets and now I owe $5+. I just love this show!!

It really is a great show! There are actually three movies at this point: the original Stargate movie, then they also made Stargate Continuum and Stargate Ark of Truth. smile.gif With 10 seasons of the original series, 5 of Atlantis and 2 of Universe, you will have plenty to watch for a while!

I started watching SG-1 when it first came out, though I was a child a the time. When the time slot changed, I fell out of watching it until SGA came out. I actually didn't want to watch SGA at first because I thought it was replacing SG-1 and didn't really see the need to watch it. Then I saw "38 Minutes" and fell in love with the show (thanks to Joe Flanigan's character wink.gif ). I have since started playing catch up on SG-1 and have seen all of the 5 seasons of Atlantis more than once. Also, I have started collecting Stargate items, including some memorabilia from the show, and go to a convention every year. I refuse to watch SGU though because of how everything went down with that versus SGA.

I even managed to get my best friend interested in the show. Now every Friday we have a Stargate night where we watch an episode of SG-1 (seasons 1-8), an episode of SGA, and another episode of SG-1 (seasons 9-10). We're going in order on the SG-1 seasons, except for the watching episodes from seasons 9 & 10.

My absolute favorite characters are Sheppard, Mitchell, and O'Neill. wub.gif

I am really mad at Syfy as they have removed SGA from their line up mad.gif Now it is just SG1 a few times a week and SGU Sat nights where SGA used to be dry.gif

Edited by Jedi40

I have the original Stargate movie, (Kurt Russell/James Spader) SG-1 and SG-A on DVD, and have watched all the commentary material - EVERYTHING - on the first two series. I've been without a TV for some time, but will pick up SG-U soon, just because I'm a completist, and I want to see them. Favorite characters? O'Neill, Carter, Daniel, Teal'c, Hammond, Brat'ac, Landry, Sheppard, Teyla, Ronon, Carson. They were all well done, and I loved seeing the growth in the characters as the series progressed. I do have some dragons named with Stargate themes, and will eventually get around to working on a linage with them.

I loved all the seasons of SG-1 except for the last two (when Richard Dean Anderson left the show and only did cameos I lost interest in it it was boring without Col, Jack O'Neil sad.gif ) Col, Mitchell in compairision to O'Neil just didn't work for me .

I enjoyed SG-A. Col, Sheperd was almost,almost as fun as Col, O'Neil the series was fairly interesting was very bugged they killed off Dr Carson Beckett I didn't like the lady Dr (I can't remember her name) they replaced him with , I was very sad when I found out it was cancelled because it was really starting too get good (if they had'nt gone overboard with the sets and special effects they could have afforded to keep making it, SG-1's special effects were more simple that's why it lasted so long).

I did not like SG-U at all, to me it came off as a cheap knock-off of Star Trek and Farscape and the overall storyline was dark and boring compaired to SG-Atlantis and SG-1, in the long run it was better it ended when it did because it was a flop and lacked the "WOW" factor that drew me to the StarGate series.

I think they ended SG-1 & SG-A wrong I about fell over when I realised I was watching the final Episode of SG-A all I could think was NO! NO! YOU CAN"T END IT THIS WAY!! what will happen to them? I must know!!

Edited by Aislein

There is no character growth at all in SGU. It is way to dark and to adult for it to be a family show (like people having sex in closets). And just dull as dishwater.

The lady Dr. that took over when the real Carson died was Jennifer Keller.

I wish there could be some continuation of SG-1, maybe SG-A too. i still need to see SGU, but I guess I'm dreading it a little bit, just because of what I've heard.

BTW, Dr. Jennifer Keller was played by Jewel Staite who also played Kaylee in Firefly, which I also loved. Before she joined Atlantis as a regular, she played the Wraith girl whose adopted father tried to raise her on a substitute so she wouldn't feed on humans. That was such a sad episode, very well written.

I wish there could be some continuation of SG-1, maybe SG-A too. i still need to see SGU, but I guess I'm dreading it a little bit, just because of what I've heard.

BTW, Dr. Jennifer Keller was played by Jewel Staite who also played Kaylee in Firefly, which I also loved. Before she joined Atlantis as a regular, she played the Wraith girl whose adopted father tried to raise her on a substitute so she wouldn't feed on humans. That was such a sad episode, very well written.

We were promised some more SG1 movies and a SGA one to tie up all the lose ends for the abrupt ending to the series. But found out is was all a ploy to keep us waiting for something that never was going to happen.

I must say she was better at playing Kaylee on Firefly and Eilla the Wraith girl then she was as Dr. Keller (she seemed to wimpy).

My mother bought the entire SG-1 series box set a couple weeks ago and I'm working through it slowly. I'm in season 3 now. I know a lot of it from walking out and seeing my parents watching it. That's what got me to like it and I've seen a few episodes from Stargate Atlantis. So far my fave characters are Jack and Teal'c. All of the characters are good but those two are my faves so far. I did start watching it before but got to somewhere around season 3 and stopped then all the discs got lost so had to wait until now to finally get them all again to watch.

I loved all three. smile.gif SGU didn't start out great, but it did get better. I'm sad they cancelled it. I really hate how they ended it ... >.<

Daniel, Eli and Jack are my favorite characters. <3<3<3<3 I'm working on Stargate lineages, too. tongue.gif

I watched a bunch of SGA episodes on Netflix before they took it off. Several of my friends are obsessed with it, and have designated the people we know as the characters based on their personalities. I am Todd the wraith. That's not the weird part. My brother is John Sheppard. xd.png Also, my friend who is McKay is now deathly afraid of my hands. It's rather amusing, actually... Rawr. wink.gif

Oooo Stargate.... I must contain fangirl-squeeing.

I'd have to say favourite good guy: O'Neill

Favourite Bad guy: Baal closely followed by Hathor

Also how many here have a favourite episode?

Mine would have to be: 200

*fangirl squee alert.....* SQUEEEEEEEE!

Have have seem them all but I love the orginal - SG1 by far my favorite! I loved the film when I was a kid and the when the TV series came out I was hooked!

O'Neill was so kool, but you gotta love the whole team as they each have their turn at being the awesome one!

Aaaaah Love SG1 LOL wub.gif

I would love it if they would keep their word and give us a SGA movie to tie up all the lose ends left at the end of season 5.

SG 1 is best, i love jack o,neil and his funny sarcasm comments smile.gif

Okay, I've had all three series on DVD to rewatch whenever I like, as well as the SG-1 movies, and the original Stargate movie. I just learned that the group (Dean Emmerich, et al.)that put the original movie now has the rights again, and are talking about at least one, if not two more movies. It seems they planned the original movie as a trilogy, and the article I read spoke of continuing the movie.

So, now I'm full of questions. Will they build on what the TV series created, or run off in some other direction? Will they build on Brad Wright's incredible legacy, or leave those worlds behind? Would they bring Wright into the project? What happens with Carter and Teal'c, Mitchell, Vala? Atlantis, Sheppard? What about Rush and Eli?

Personally, I love the way the TV series meshed with the original movie. The Anderson O'Neill, with his warmer take on the Russell character made O'Neill the character that was truly the leader of SG-1. Michael Shanks did an incredible job playing James Spader's very bookish Daniel, and allowing him to grow into the physically much stronger and resilient Daniel throughout the series. It was a natural growth, especially given Teal'c becoming one of his closest friends. So many of the element in the movie were carried through into the series, and I hope the writers and producers will be as true to Wright's creations as Wright was to the original movie.

So, any thoughts?