Elorendil

Stargate Fans, unite!

Do you watch any of the Stargate series?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, it is obvious from my signature and avie that I am a huge Stargate fan. I watched the series when it originally came out on KXVO, but had to stop when it moved to SyFy (I don't have cable). I recently discovered Hulu and have been catching up on the show there. I'm almost to the end of Season 10, and still love the show.

So, who else here likes Stargate? Which series do you watch? Who is your favorite good guy and who is your favorite bad guy? Favorite episode?

At this point in time, I've only watched SG-1. I'll probably work on SG-A after this. I would have to say my favorite good guy is Jacob/Selmak, even if he is dead. My favorite bad guy and definitely my favorite character on the entire show is Ba'al. I mean, holy cow, that guy has charisma, charm and style, mixed with a ruthlessness that I find irresistable. He shows far more intelligence then the other system lords and can see past his war with the Tau'ri when they need to work together to defeat a common enemy. And his fashion sense? xd.png I have yet to see him in an outfit I didn't like. wub.gif

...Ahem. Pardon the fangirl gushing. tongue.gif Anyway, please post your thoughts on Stargate and enjoy the thread!

Stargate is win. That is all.

I watch SG-1 and SG-A. SG-U kinda sucks.

Favorite character: Gotta be Teal'c. His facial expressions are priceless, which might just be Christopher Judge, but it's still hilarious.

Favorite antagonist: Apothis (spelling?), because he is nearly impossible to get rid of early in the series. tongue.gif

i watch all three

Best Character, like above Teal'c.

Favorite bad guy: erm not some one but some things Replicator there the best

I used to watch SG-1. I've never really watched the other two. Daniel is my favorite.

Watching the original movie right now ;~D

I loved SG1, it was almost perfect casting and cast dynamics. SGA was fun but I only ever got to watch season one. Never watched SGU, but would like to.

i watch all 3

favo char is jack o'neill

favo bad guy is ba'al and todd the wraith

Sgu is diffrent but pretty good once you get trough the first 10 episodes of all drama

I love SG-1 and SG-A. I tried to watch the first season of SG-U but was anything but impressed. It is slow dark, and boring--and kinda stupid.

But SG1 and SG-A ROCK!! I saw every episode and was blown away!

I just ordered Stargate: Continuum and Ark of Truth last night. Can't wait to get them! Especially Continuum - lots of Ba'al!!!!!

I loved SG1, it was almost perfect casting and cast dynamics. SGA was fun but I only ever got to watch season one. Never watched SGU, but would like to.

I'd say you're pretty much spot on about SG1. And, like you, I onlt got to watch season 1 of Atlantis. You should try downloading SGU, though. My other half and I have really been enjoying it. It's quite a different feel to it, but I've found it interesting enough to want to keep going with. And, of course, typical Stargate style they'ved ended the season on a three parter... with part three having to wait until the new season starts!

Edited to add: Plus Daniel = <3. Seriously. I'm rather pleased that my other half looks quite a bit like him biggrin.gif

Edited by TikindiDragon

My friend talks about this show all the time. I've never actually seen it, but I've seen a couple screenshots of it and a fair amount of positive opinions from friends. I'd like to check it out some time, but I can never seem to find it anywhere.

I'd say you're pretty much spot on about SG1. And, like you, I onlt got to watch season 1 of Atlantis. You should try downloading SGU, though. My other half and I have really been enjoying it. It's quite a different feel to it, but I've found it interesting enough to want to keep going with. And, of course, typical Stargate style they'ved ended the season on a three parter... with part three having to wait until the new season starts!

Edited to add: Plus Daniel = <3. Seriously. I'm rather pleased that my other half looks quite a bit like him biggrin.gif

Being a total n00b at the internet and generally failing at all technology (irony: I'm an IT teacher) I don't have the download option - the few times I've tried I've ended up with a buggered laptop.

I really hate that bull**** at the start of SG-U.

The Daedulus was designed to be the definitive anti-Goa'Uld ship in the galaxy. THEN, it got upgraded by The Asgard to become anti-Ori (who are evil ancients with ships built around GIANT LAZ0R BEAMS), yet, it cannot defeat some very old Goa'Uld tech held together by duct tape and staples? Wtf?

Other than that, I think it's just a gratuitous attempt to jump on several band wagons. Seriously, I think when they decided they wanted a new SG series, the production team just sat around for a couple days until one of them just suddenly stood up and said "Stargate... CROSSED WITH LOST!" But then he died due to being so stupid he forgot how to breathe.

The only quasi-Stargate stupidity that is worse than this is The Series Whose Existence Must Not Be Acknowledged... Infinity *struck down by the Forces of Half-Decent TV*

Also, Dr. Weir was my favourite character. It reeeaallly pissed me off when they killed her off. She was the one Stargate higher-up since Hammond that had more than a one-dimensional personality. YES I AM INCLUDING LANDRY D< (but not Jack. Jack doesn't count.)

Ooh wait no. Jack. Jack is my favourite. "COLONEL O'NEILL, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

"You DARE mock ME?" "Ba'al, you know me. Of COURSE I dare mock you." ^^

My friend talks about this show all the time. I've never actually seen it, but I've seen a couple screenshots of it and a fair amount of positive opinions from friends. I'd like to check it out some time, but I can never seem to find it anywhere.

Stargate SG-1 currently has all 10 seasons available on Hulu. smile.gif That is a safe site to use for streaming of various TV shows. It is free for the moment, though there is talk of making it so you have to pay for certain series later. I hope it doesn't ever come to that!

Also, I am getting a Stargate chat started. Come and discuss your favorite series, episode, character or just hang out with other Stargate fans! We are just getting this chat kicked off, but it is my hope that it will become a popular hang-out for Gaters!

Stargate Chat

Edited by Elorendil

Ah, Stargate. Wonderful show. At the moment, I've seen the entirety of SG-1 and I'm. . . eh, maybe halfway through Atlantis. I'll finish it someday, I'm sure. SG-U. . . can die in a fire.

The first series was just so much fun. They kept it varied. There was always the big main enemy, of course, but there was a ton of variation in the adventures, and it was quirky and funny and had good acting, even if a lot of it was a little corny. But then, it wouldn't be a sci-fi of epic proportions if it weren't a little corny. It was fantastic. Atlantis really lost something in that area, I think. It's still a lot of fun, but the missions and encounters aren't nearly as varied. There's just the one enemy that they're always so focused on. We never see a whole lot other than the Wraith, and I find that kinda sad.

And then there's SG-U. It also has that single-mindedness that I find distressing and not nearly as cool, but on top of that the acting's bad and all the characters suck. I can't think of a single character I actually like much in that show, which is sad, because I really like some of the actors.

As for favorite characters. . . Jack. Jack is the coolest. I think the show kind of died after he left the team. Even when he was still there, but as a general, it just wasn't the same. I also rather liked Jonas, for his brief protagonist status. He was endearing.

And because I have to include slightly more side-ish characters, Dr. Frasier and Martouf were both awesome. Shame they both died.

And favorite villain. . . Ba'al was pretty awesome. I did definitely love him. Tanith was also pretty awesome, for his very brief stint as an actual threat, but I don't think it's possible for Peter Wingfield to be anything less than awesome.

I have to stop now, because I could go on and on. . .

Frankly, though, I think SG-1, amazing as it was, really went down-hill in the last four seasons. It still had some good stuff going for it, I guess, but after the Goa'uld were gone, it just kinda went flat. I actually think it should have ended after the 6th or 7th season, and that's a good couple of years longer than most shows that've stuck around so long should have ended. I'm firmly of the belief that after about five seasons, most shows start to outstay their welcome, so to speak. Stargate had a very good run, though.

Well I'm a pretty big Stargate fan myself. I fell in love with the original movie, and I've seen all the episodes of SG1, SGA, and SGU, plus the 2 SG1 movies.

I'm sure it's obvious from my avatar that I like SGA the best. I also like SG1 a lot. I have to say that I'm really disappointed with SGU, but I watch it anyway just because I'm hopelessly addicted to Stargate, and it's nice when some of the SG1 characters guest star.

SG-1 is on our TV now! Awesome, but annoyingly it's late-season and I only watch occasionally.

SG-1 is on our TV now! Awesome, but annoyingly it's late-season and I only watch occasionally.

It's not back on terrestrial in the UK is it? Stargate has always had a really dodgy showing schedual over here....

I managed to finish the series from start to end on Hulu (although, last I checked I believe they started taking it down). Very well done, and I was kinda sad when I finished the last episode. Still haven't seen any of the movies, although they're tempting. I recently started getting into the Atlantis series after I ran into an episode on Syfy. The first time I went looking for it on Hulu, they didn't have/support it at the time. I just found it available on Hulu a couple months ago, but I didn't get to start it from the beginning and they're only offering so many episodes/season every few months....which kinda sucks.

When I first heard of SG-U...I didn't think (and hoped) it had nothing to do with SG-1 and SG-U....then I saw the commercial for an episode where one of the characters from SG-1 made an appearance and I had to facepalm....just looking at the advertisements for it makes my eyes cringe. I'm not sure I want to try and get into that series...

As for favorite characters....probably gonna have to be all of SG-1....starting with Jack and Teal'c, I love their personalities. xd.png

Obviously, since Im posting in this thread, I love me some Stargate. Loved the movie when it came out, and for some reason shunned the series forever and ever.. until a year or two ago when I decided I was gonna give it a shot.. just.. well.. just because. Man.. I am soooooooooo glad I did and am also really glad I DIDN'T watch any of it when it first came out. Why, you ask? Because... this way... I was able to sit down and watch multiple episodes a day for weeks on end. >.> SG-1 is awesome. Atlantis.. took a minute for me to warm up to because I HATED the new Dr. Wier. The blond was so much... less irritating. Also, Teal'c > Ronan. Also, also.. whats with all the SGU haters? Its not bad! I fully admit it started a bit slow and some of the characters are a bit lame, but I think thats supposed to be part of the point. You know, a bunch of C-listers stuck on a ship with no way back and no help in sight. Given enough time, I think SGU is going to be better than Atlantis. No, not SG-1, just Atlantis. NOTHING can beat the character interaction of SG-1. O'Neill, two L's, is too awesome for words. Actually... I've got my fingers crossed that they'll bring back the young O'Neill Asgard clone at some point. Well, before I REALLY get into full-on rant mode.. lemme take a pause to answer the posted questions.

I have seen every episode and movie of everything relating to Stargate. Favorite good guy.. oh man.. uh... O'Neill.. no.. Jackson.. no.. Teal'c.. no.. Thor.. gah! ARGH!! Why did you have to ask THAT?!... moving on.. favorite villain.. uh.. Ba'al and Todd are great, but I think Im gonna have to go with Urgo.. if you can call him a villain. You know.. Dom Deluise.. the computer program. No? Hmm.. you know what? Im gonna go with Apophis. I loved to hate that snake head, though I almost said Hathor or Nirrti. The best episode of any series by far is the time loop one where Teal'c and Jack learned to juggle... among many other hilarious things... man.. I might have to watch that.. for the twentieth time. There is one episode in season nine or ten, I forget which, probably ten.. anyway.. when Vala gets pregnant and asks if anyone has ever heard of a baby being born without.. you know.. the fun part. Anyway, Teal'c responds with the oh so obvious answer of Darth Vader! I LOVE how Teal'c loves Star Wars. ...again with the rant. I freakin love Stargate...

Speaking of loving Stargate.. for all you video game fans.. I dunno whats goin on with the MMO... BUT... if any of you play Sins of a Solar Empire there's a mod for Stargate available. It just got released to the public and is still in the testing phases, but it works. Just... expect to die A LOT if yer playing as the Tau'ri since the other two races (Wraith and Asurans) start out infinitely more powerful. But don't worry, they're adding the Goa'uld and the Lucian Alliance in the next installment. Anyway, even when yer getting pounded by a pair of hive ships the game is insanely fun to play, especially when you zoom in on yer BC-304 and they're blasting away with their rail guns n missiles... no Asgard beam weapons till you upgrade... hence the dying very quickly part.

And now the theme song is stuck in my head... ::sigh:: I look forward to seeing this threads activity continue!

So, now that SG-U has wrapped up in a very disappointingly-short two seasons, what do you guys think of SG-U?

Personally, I was very disappointed by the ending. It really wasn't any sort of ending at all. They just stuck everyone in stasis and ended the series? Seriously, what kind of ending is that?!? And we don't even know if they will ever get to make a movie to wrap it up. I was disappointed by the endings of SG-1 and SG-A, because they felt like the rushed endings that they were. But this one takes the cake. At least the other two seasons DID wrap things up, even if it felt like they were desperately trying to end the threat of the bad-guys in a slightly "wait, wut??" manner just as things were getting really interesting. SG-U didn't even get them home. They are still out there, floating between galaxies. There are so many questions left unanswered. I was just starting to really like the series and BAM, it's gone. MGM needs to get their heads examined. tongue.gif

So, there's my SG-U ending rant. What do you guys think?

I'm still in the middle of the 7th season of SG-1 (Revisions was the last episode I watched, it's the 5th one of that season), haven't watched the others yet, but certainly planning to happy.gif.

As for favorite characters: Teal'c and Jack are pretty awesome ^^. And I actually preferred Jonas Quinn to Daniel Jackson as 4th member.

So, now that SG-U has wrapped up in a very disappointingly-short two seasons, what do you guys think of SG-U?

Personally, I was very disappointed by the ending. It really wasn't any sort of ending at all. They just stuck everyone in stasis and ended the series? Seriously, what kind of ending is that?!? And we don't even know if they will ever get to make a movie to wrap it up. I was disappointed by the endings of SG-1 and SG-A, because they felt like the rushed endings that they were. But this one takes the cake. At least the other two seasons DID wrap things up, even if it felt like they were desperately trying to end the threat of the bad-guys in a slightly "wait, wut??" manner just as things were getting really interesting. SG-U didn't even get them home. They are still out there, floating between galaxies. There are so many questions left unanswered. I was just starting to really like the series and BAM, it's gone. MGM needs to get their heads examined. tongue.gif

So, there's my SG-U ending rant. What do you guys think?

I would have been a lot more accepting of the SGU ending if the point of the series had been to explore new galaxies. But it wasn't. Rush was the only one who wasn't desperate to get back home.