Elirium

Cosplay

Hmm, cosplay. I've never tried cosplaying, as I really don't like dress up that much. I think cosplay is kind of weird.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone for saying this, just my opinion.

Edited by artiuslove

Personally I've got several in the works. I've got three months to get four done and I'm only just now getting around to ordering wigs and contacts. I'm working on Guzma from Pokémon Sun/Moon, Elma from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, the Disciple from Homestuck, and Jerry from Rick and Morty. Hopefully I can go fabric shopping soon, but I've got all the wigs and contacts picked out for all of them so far, and those are the ones that always take the longest to obtain, because of shipping (especially when you're blind and have to order specialty contacts so you can see...)

Edited by dark_sama

I am working on a steampunk Starscream cosplay right now. I ordered some contact lenses, but I think I need to order one more right eye as the prescription one is just not quite right. I am working on headset, hat, goggles and wings.

22 minutes ago, Starscream said:

I am working on a steampunk Starscream cosplay right now. I ordered some contact lenses, but I think I need to order one more right eye as the prescription one is just not quite right. I am working on headset, hat, goggles and wings.

I've always found steampunk cosplays to be really cool looking, though they always look like too much work for me to want to attempt one myself, haha.

Contacts can really be a pain, can't they? I hope you're not as blind as I am; my contacts are around a -7..0 or something, finding the right ones can be tricky. >*<

I need a new prescription. the one I got was not right and I was seeing double with it. I ordered a neutral eye just in case it gives me problems.

It is a lot of work, and mine won't be all that great, but I am focusing on the wings. I will  be using leather belts to strap it to my back. I stained the wood with a mahogany colour to give it a redness.

I'm gonna show you some bits of my cosplay as I have it so far...

Based on this concept. But humanised.

1-jpg.27234907

prototyping the wing.

20180524_233411.jpg?width=623&height=468

Headset work in progress.

20180524_011634.jpg?width=350&height=467

Mask with my first rivits.

20180518_194437.jpg?width=350&height=467

Red Eye.

20180524_182510.jpg?width=263&height=467

Propeller layout (I got it together but still need to work on it

20180510_221856.jpg?width=350&height=467

@dark_sama I have merged your thread with this one since we already have a Cosplay thread in GD. :) 

@Starscream That looks awesome so far! I really love those wings. 

I cosplayed as the pokemon Mightyena one year at Disneyland, and I was so proud of it! I'll have to see if I can find some photos. 

@hazeh -  Thanks.

I just got a corset, and now my wings are strapped, I am adding a strap across the belly. working on the propeller, and starting to work on planning out the wings. Been sanding the propeller, planning its rigging, while still fighting with the rigging on the wings.

I cosplay :D I'm finally happy with my Kylo Ren cosplay, I had a cowl made from the JJ industries fabric, and I obtained the screen accurate boots. It's a several year long labor of love.

Of course then he went and wore a different outfit in The Last Jedi, LOL.

Today I have been working on the propeller - this thing has been one of those parts that left me WTF-ing as to how I was going to execute it. BUT since I got my corset, everything fell into place neatly. there is a belt that I am going to remove and replace with the propeller - same idea, just use clasps to snap onto the D ring so that it hangs on my middle. Since its built on a cage, I am going to use violet LED to illuminate hte inside the battery pack can fit in the pouch on the belt the only problem I have right now is reinforcing where the strap goes.  - I will investigate a few options before putting it together.

Small USB fan died for this purpose, I ripped it apart, reversed everything. cut the fan blades down, added the carved balsa, cast a nose cone using a cadbury egg package some brass clock hands, foam and I think I got so far a good base going on. I will be adding detail and paint  (obviously) later.

the purple glow looks kinda cool. I will loosen the string of LED later

20180530_233224.jpg?width=350&height=46720180530_233244.jpg?width=623&height=468

Wing set with straps.

20180530_001312.jpg?width=350&height=46720180531_015630.jpg?width=623&height=468

Edited by Starscream

So far, so good. I am pleased with the wing. Sorry for the upside down view of that.

20180605_210044.jpg?width=623&height=46820180604_115934.jpg?width=350&height=467

20180604_115914.jpg?width=350&height=46720180602_221902.jpg?width=623&height=468

I cosplayed as Monkey D. Luffy once. This lady asked me if I was a hobo. My brother was Zolo (Zoro? the dubs have me confused) and some drunk guy asked him if he was a ballerina? It was a weird night. One time I was Edward Elric, and I got tackled to the ground by a group of fangirls. Note: I am also a girl. It was very interesting. I wanted to be Vincent Valentine too, as he is my eternal husbando, but sizes from Japan were WAY smaller then I thought they were going to be. 

I want to be Chara from undertale for Halloween this year. All I would really have to get is the signature sweater since my hair is ready to go and I have the collector's edition locket. But it's so simple and I don't think anyone will get it outside of a niche crowd. 

So, I'm actually really excited because all my wigs finally came in the mail today. I've been dying to do some makeup tests once I style them..now I've got an excuse to do that after work, muhahaha. I'm especially excited to get to test out Guzma (pokemon Sun & moon), he's the only character I have mostly done so far, just missing two or three elements.

Edited by dark_sama

My contacts didn't irritate the slag out of me, I also finished making a skirt saturday. (my first attempt at a zipper)

This is such a cool thread idea! 

Wow, @Starscream, that looks so awesome, especially the wing rigging! 

I love cosplay, but I can never finish a project. ;-; I either run out of money or don't have time (the struggle of a lazy broke teen lol). I actually made a keyblade for a Halloween Town Sora costume a few years ago. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:39 PM, Chatdweeb said:

This is such a cool thread idea! 

Wow, @Starscream, that looks so awesome, especially the wing rigging! 

I love cosplay, but I can never finish a project. ;-; I either run out of money or don't have time (the struggle of a lazy broke teen lol). I actually made a keyblade for a Halloween Town Sora costume a few years ago. I'll see if I can find some pictures.

Thanks -  yeah cost is... interesting -  its fast how stuff adds up :/

excuse my ugly basement... So far, so good. - I hiked the skirt up and added ribbon to it (3 colours and 3 sizes to represent the wingstripes.)

20180621_011807.jpg?width=350&height=467

I got one of my wigs dyed and styled, I'm so happy. Finished Elma's wig (from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid), just have to make the actual cosplay and get colored contacts. I'm going to be working on another wig when I get home, and that should be finished today as well.

Put a quick test of the wig/makeup under the spoiler, I just found a smilar-ish shirt for it, but I'm pretty happy with the progress son it so far!

Edit: The wig has a ton more purple in the bottom than the pictures show, I had to dye the top black to get it to be more accurate.

Spoiler

photo Capture_zpsqkpc4dse.png

Edited by dark_sama

On 6/25/2018 at 12:51 PM, dark_sama said:

@Starscream aww, thanks! >w<

Its too bad my natural eyes don't match the cosplay, haha.

mine don't either.... if you use contacts how hte pit do you get htem in? I suck at it.

@StarscreamI use a little tool that helps me put them in; I got it from OhMyKitty contacts, works pretty well. Getting them out is another story, haha.

Also I'm finally off my work computer and I can see the pics of your cosplay progress (I couldn't view them on my work computer) and all I can say is WOW! It really looks amazing so far, I really like the lights behind the propeller as well, was that hard to do?

On 6/29/2018 at 10:17 PM, dark_sama said:

@StarscreamI use a little tool that helps me put them in; I got it from OhMyKitty contacts, works pretty well. Getting them out is another story, haha.

Also I'm finally off my work computer and I can see the pics of your cosplay progress (I couldn't view them on my work computer) and all I can say is WOW! It really looks amazing so far, I really like the lights behind the propeller as well, was that hard to do?

Every time I try I blink and the sucker ends up hanging  off my lower lid for dear life.

3 minutes ago, Starscream said:

Every time I try I blink and the sucker ends up hanging  off my lower lid for dear life.

Maybe its the kind of contact you're using? Or you could have a weird shape to your eyes where normal contacts won't stay on (my brother has that problem).

I just got them in. I think I got small eyes. these seem like a much larger contact than what is normal

excuse the piss poor lighting. I live in a "dungeon"

Now, since it is Canada Day, I may romp off to the park to get heat stroke wearing my festive coloured eyes :P

20180701_120424.jpg?width=830&height=467

@Starscream That's looking amazing so far! Can you give a little more detail about how you're making the wings? I'm trying to do a Myrrh Cosplay from fire emblem and I'm struggling to figure out what material to use for the wings. I'd like them to be able to fold up when walking around too.

reference:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20151017120814

2 hours ago, water_angel said:

@Starscream That's looking amazing so far! Can you give a little more detail about how you're making the wings? I'm trying to do a Myrrh Cosplay from fire emblem and I'm struggling to figure out what material to use for the wings. I'd like them to be able to fold up when walking around too.

reference:

Hide contents

latest?cb=20151017120814

I used this site as a guide. it is not clear on the rigging. I can try to explain that. https://www.blackowlstudio.com/en/tutorial-crafting-articulated-wings/