TJ09

06/02/10 - State of the Cave

Whatever was done to the AP, it's awesome. ^^ I haven't seen it stay so tidy for a long time.

But I noticed several posts about how short the hourly drop is and how we have to wait for the next one if we miss it...well, that's what the 5-minute drops are for, no? If we assume the hourly lasts 5-10 minutes, there's at least 9 5-minute ones, with about 6 eggs each. And I've found that it's much easier to catch what you want during those, as less people are there refreshing. *shrug*

I think the only thing messing with the balance of the system is the lack of cave blocking from what I've seen, but I expect it'll be back when the constant new eggs/MM drops seize.

Seconding what MissK. said. The reason the drops are over so fast now is because the unwanted eggs aren't sitting on the main page forever blocking the ones everyone wants to grab. Of course it's going to go faster! tongue.gif

The few times that I've been on the Cave lately, I've had no problems grabbing the eggs I'm looking for, either from an hourly drop or from one of the 5 minute drops. And I've seen plenty of all the newer ones lately, which was the only problem I had before.

Seems to me you've found a good balance here, TJ. I like it. biggrin.gif

Kicking in my two cents...

I've been frustrated with my page never seeming to refresh. Now it seems to refresh more often than before, so if that means anything, I hope it helps. It used to be frustrating to see the same three eggs sitting there for literally ten or more refreshes... I suspected my computer and my connection.

Tonight during the main drops, it only lingered once or twice on the same eggies-- so whatever you did is working for ME.

I'm not sure, but I expect once people have filled up on all the new eggs they want, we'll see the hourly drops last a bit longer. Right now everyone is grabbing the new eggs as fast as they drop.

I haven't spent much time cave shopping today, as I have enough of the new eggs and the MM eggs to content me for the time being. I did watch the ap for a bit, and grabbed a random blue egg, because I wanted another cb water, and there weren't any dropping in the cave right then. (and guess what? that random blue egg was a cb!) Things seemed to be flowing very well while I watched. Almost all the cave eggs were the new ones, so I didn't expect them to hang around long in any case.

oooh oooh oooh i bet the ap eggs are going to the wilderness... there's more there.

idk, but yeah it's got it's pros and cons... this mite either take some getting use to or mite get really annoying.

idk i'm indecisive. unsure.gif

I noticed that the AP wasn't stuffed to bursting. I haven't decided if it works for me yet or not cuz I'm waiting for my hatchies to mature. But it makes me feel a bit sad for those eggies from the AP. I'll post again when I have been able to mess with the cave and let you know what I think of the new changes. Looking forward to seeing what else is hidden up your sleeves!

I'm noticing that eggs are only appearing in the cave for a brief time every five minutes (except at hour marks, when the cavedrops are longer), and I haven't seen a single Water or Magi egg since the new releases—not good considering you need those two to breed one of the new dragons. (I only have two Waters of opposite genders and a female Magi who refuses to go near my male Water. sad.gif)

While I appreciate the higher turnover rate of new eggs in the cave, I'm not so keen on the short and time-specific egg drops (I keep missing them rolleyes.gif), and I'm rather unhappy that I can't get my hands on a new Magi or Water (which I'm sure are much more sought after than usual right now).

Pangaea, those short hourly drops, with a three egg drop every five minutes are what the cave has been set to for a very long time. It's just that it didn't seem that way with the ap blocking the cave so much, and so many eggs that no one seemed to want blocking the cave drop from moving even when it wasn't blocked by the ap.

Magis and Waters will probably be more available once the cave shifts back to normal drops instead of heavy on the newest eggs.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out- I've been musing over the "good ol' days" when I first started and had to keep checking back off and on for two days before I actually caught my first egg. For so long it's been completely unheard of for there to be no eggs available at all, I've adjusted to that. I can see pros and cons to both situations and I'm locked anyway so I'll just be sitting back and watching for a while. It'll be interesting to know what's happening to any eggs that sit too long, though.

I'm still really hoping that there will eventually be some sort of set ratio of bred to CB within each breed so people who do lineages can get things like CB blacks again. TJ did say a solution was being worked on to the problem of newer breeds crowding out old breeds. *crosses fingers*

I noticed that the AP wasn't stuffed to bursting. I haven't decided if it works for me yet or not cuz I'm waiting for my hatchies to mature. But it makes me feel a bit sad for those eggies from the AP. I'll post again when I have been able to mess with the cave and let you know what I think of the new changes. Looking forward to seeing what else is hidden up your sleeves!

This. I haven't yet been able to try it out myself as I'm locked. But I as I just started my Oddwater lineage, I wonder what happens to all the other lineaged eggs dropped to AP that aren't claimed?

I've noticed the cave is hardly putting out eggs, forcing people to go to the AP for eggys, but sometimes both the Cave and the AP are completely empty. If this is a way to try and clear the AP and put a delay in the cave blocking, I like it. The only thing I don't like is no eggs at all, either in AP or Cave.

What is a dragon cave without dragons and eggs?

I think I actually like the way the cave and AP are working now. Sure, the hourly drops are short (lots of happy fingers deplete a pile of eggs), but there are more of the new eggs and MM eggs for folks to grab, which was an issue even as of the new drop and the MM drop before. People hadn't accomplished their scroll goals or had opportunity to grab new eggs, and now that seems to be clearing up. For the ones who have slower connections, I'm not sure what to say, other than check the gifting threads in Site Discussion and get your name on a list or two. There are several of us willing to gift eggs or catch for those who don't have the same luck we do.

I like too, that there is a lot of 'color' in the AP lately, though whether that is due to folks dropping eggs to gain the newer eggs, I'm not sure. There are still the green/black walls of eggs from time to time, but they don't last long. Are the eggs being recycled if not picked up, or do they just disappear? As much as I hate the idea of unwanted eggs, it's a fact of the game, particularly the inbred and long-lineaged commons that seem to sit for hours. Or are the ratios being balanced differently now to accommodate for even numbers of the various breeds?

You won't please all the people all the time, but for myself, I'm truly grateful for what you do, TJ, to try and make this game as fun and uncomplicated as possible for the group at large.

My ideas (haven't tested them yet) is because lots of people are saying that there are shorter cave drops, and not many eggs is the AP, is that we MIGHT have multiple clutched to keep the egg ratio correct. I will soon test this theory, but as soon as I am unlocked.

And I do have one question. At the moment, the AP is actually blocking the cave. So does it just go down to a few during and around the drops? Or is it random?

Thanks, Kayla

EDIT:: I jest went breeding, and this is what I got: (you can scrunch up this theory tongue.gif)

1: 1 egg

2: 1 egg

3: 1 egg

Edited by kayla0297

Oh, this seems to be new: http://dragcave.net/wilderness/young - the wilderness for eggs and hatchlings.

So it looks like the eggs and hatchlings that aren't grabbed after a while are automatically sent to the wilderness. Interesting... I'm wondering if wild eggs die after a while. I guess that we will see that in a few days.

Oh, this seems to be new: http://dragcave.net/wilderness/young - the wilderness for eggs and hatchlings.

So it looks like the eggs and hatchlings that aren't grabbed after a while are automatically sent to the wilderness. Interesting... I'm wondering if wild eggs die after a while. I guess that we will see that in a few days.

I'm rather surprised about this myself. I wouldn't think there would need to be a wilderness for hatchlings as they always seem to get snatched up right away. I wonder if that's really what's going on here.

On a related note, I hope my comments are not taken by TJ is over-criticism. As is everyone else, I am also very grateful to have DC and I think it is run extremely well. smile.gif

I'm rather surprised about this myself. I wouldn't think there would need to be a wilderness for hatchlings as they always seem to get snatched up right away. I wonder if that's really what's going on here.

On a related note, I hope my comments are not taken by TJ is over-criticism. As is everyone else, I am also very grateful to have DC and I think it is run extremely well. smile.gif

I'm pretty sure there has always been a wilderness for the young - or at least there has been for awhile. Besides, all of the eggs and hatchlings I clicked on were bred by wild dragons - they weren't taken from the AP, they were never there in the first place.

To the main topic - anything that has it back to there actually being hourly and five minute drops instead of them being stuck by constant AP blockage and unwanted eggs is good in my opinion. Seeing the cave empty and the AP empty? Beautiful. Maybe next we'll see more caveborn old breeds or metallics again. I remember when there was at least one silver in every hourly (or so it seemed). Thank you TJ, for whatever you're doing.

It would be cool if we could adopt young dragons out of the wilderness once every week... (or twice - I dunno exactly how often would be good)... that would help the little cute hatchies... <3 (and eggs!)

I find it very interesting that some people seem to prefer the perpetually blocked AP biggrin.gif Those players who joined after the block and aren't used to the way it's supposed to work?

Anyway, TJ, as of 10am CEST (4 am EDT) the cave is actually blocked again and takes as long as ever to unblock. Whatever you did doesn't seem to work as well during the less busy hours.

Edited by Carthasis

^ It's unblocked now, though. Which means it took the AP less than 20 minutes to unblock, and that's an improvement considering how long it used to remain full, no?

I find it very interesting that some people seem to prefer the perpetually blocked AP biggrin.gif Those players who joined after the block and aren't used to the way it's supposed to work?

Anyway, TJ, as of 10am CEST (4 am EDT) the cave is actually blocked again and takes as long as ever to unblock. Whatever you did doesn't seem to work as well during the less busy hours.

They just haven't seen anything else. This is the real dc people, DC's normal finally. ._. after months of clogged ap, I'm glad to see an empty ap at last

PROBLEM

I am currently using Opera and whenever i open up egg drops in new tabs it tells me "Sorry, you can only view this page directly or from within the site."

blink.gif

i don't know if it's just when i get online, but at least 2/5 times i browse the AP, it has two lines or less. i haven't seen any change with whatever has been put in.