dgray-girl

How big are our dragons?

Whoa, Embers are a lot smaller than I imagined them to be! Probably because the rearing male gave me a T-rex vibe, haha =o

Edited my scrappy chart in accordance to what artists have revealed (W Walker may still be a bit too big). I used the art from the '11 Holiday stories to get an idea of the Cheese and Holly. Hope more spriters come out with info, it's fun =)

I believe Jazi has stated that Neos are roughly the size of golden retrievers?

So, um. Wipes dust off this topic. biggrin.gif

If Dove or anyone ever mentioned the size of Whites, I'm quite interested, because the new 'Glitterball' dragon would be about the same size. Don't know about Daydreams though. /calls for a Lyth on this one! biggrin.gif

And then, other dragons had been released in the meantime that we don't know much about their size.

I have a tendency to think of dragon physiology here by comparing them to the dragons in my roleplay universe- where a typical "small" breed would be wolf to human sized, "medium" would be horse or a bit larger, and "large" dragons anywhere from 15-30 feet and on.

You have to remember- a planet can only support so many creatures of so large a size at one time.

Edited by Kiryu

Looking through the thread I think I've been thinking too small smile.gif I usually thought large dragons as being the size of elephants but that might be a bit too little.

Ooo, I never did say anything about the Royal Blues in here, did I?

I see them being about 10-12 feet tall, standing normally, from the ground to the top of the head.

Size on the new dragons... shall follow. :3

Wow, what an interesting topic! I never thought about this, but it's given me a new perspective on my dragons :-D Cool! Thanks for making those pictures too.

Personally, when I think of dragon sizes, I like to think about that adorable dragon in Dragonheart. That seems like a good dragon size to me....but then the swifter, more agile dragons maybe more the size of horses.....or great danes.

user posted image

Awww, Draco is such a cutie :-D

Edited by ShadowsInAsh

I like to think most of the dragons are smaller than other people imagine. The largest IMO would be the snake-like dragons, being several hundred feet long, and the tiniest would obviously be the pygmies, like little kitties. Other small ones would be maybe like the size of an average dog, and most of the bigger sized ones probably wouldn't be larger than an elephant. So I think the average dragon is maybe the size of a large horse. tongue.gif

It would be awesome to expand the DC world and its dragons a little more. Topics like this are fun.

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness

I like to imagine that the 'average' dragon, e.g Black Marrows, Greens, Reds, Vamps, etc. would be about 35ft long, kind of similar to Saphira in the Eragon movie or European dragons in the Dragonology books but a little smaller. Terraes, Stones and Geodes would be about house-sized. Tsunami Wyerns I imagine having a 60ft-ish wingspan, the other wyverns more average sized except Bright-breasted which would be more human-sized. Lightly-buildt breeds like Daydreams and Canopies I think would be about 25ft long or smaller. As for Mints, I picture them being the size of my dog Dckens, about a metre tall at the shoulder... is that a bit small?

I have a tendency to think of dragon physiology here by comparing them to the dragons in my roleplay universe- where a typical "small" breed would be wolf to human sized, "medium" would be horse or a bit larger, and "large" dragons anywhere from 15-30 feet and on.

You have to remember- a planet can only support so many creatures of so large a size at one time.

That's usually how I imagine them! I definitely prefer things to be the size of horses. It seems much more practical, especially in the DC world where there's so many different types in what seems to be relatively small spaces.

(In my version of the dimar planet, peacebred dimar are the size of an average horse. So, I'm accustomed to imagining draconians that size.)

Okay, I realised that I don't think I ever gave any size information about the Tri-Horn Wyvern. They're about a head or so taller than a fully grown man, and about a third wider in the body (not counting the wings, obviously). While they couldn't manage to carry a fully grown human, they could carry a thirteen year old child.

(Their prey tends to be things smaller than humans, though they are a pack species, and will work together to bring down something larger if the opportunity arises.)

I will share a size chart for all my in-cave dragons tomorrow after TJ's 'Glitterballs' will grow up. smile.gif

FYI turpentines are fairly small, at the shoulder they would be about as tall as this great dane:

user posted image

Their heads would reach higher though given their longer necks.

Winter Magis are way bigger than I imagined them O.o

It would be neat if the OP quoted all the Spriters who've already said something about their babies. It would make browsing this thread easier.

I personally always imagined most breeds as being at least horse sized, with some of the more "classic western" dragons getting at least big enough that a person would only come up to their elbow joint or chest when they stood up... including Winter Magi *sigh*

@earthgirl: is that the biggest they get? Or is it the average size or the size where they become adults, and they can get bigger with age?

I kinda imagined Mints as growing to the size where the highest point of their back is at your waist or mid torso, small but big enough to catch a lift on or (if they have the temperament for it) pulling a cart of some sort (I have used this in a story, with my Mint Rooreth being the draftee X3)

With the sizes of the Winter Magi and Soulpeace, I guess it's good that in-universe those two are rare. xd.png

You should know for a fact that neither feed off humans. wink.gif

That's pretty much the average, on the soulpeace that's the male which is somewhat larger than females are.

Wow, are they that big? I always imagined that the average dragon would be a bit bigger than a horse tongue.gif

I tend to picture dragons in general as fairly big. For the sake of DC breeds, though, I generally try to keep them more moderately-sized. *g*

Royal Crimsons, though, are big. Not the biggest ones around - as I understand it they'd be smaller than Stones and Geodes, maybe smaller than Terrae (since Dis hasn't been specific about their size)...

On average they're about 20 feet from ground to the top of their head. ^^

Wow, electric dragons are larger then I thought. I always pictured them as horse-sized, same for the soulpeace, some how the winter magi always seemed big to me.

Yeah, it is a good thing they are rare. The drag-cave universe must be, like 10 times the size of earth, that or there are few predators besides dragons.

OMG I never thought the Winter Magi would be that big or the Glories that teeny! I guess the Glory Drakes are the dragon version of butterflies(Day Glory) and moths (Night Glory). We need more spriters on this thread! It's so interesting finding out how big the spriters intended their creations to be... Does anyone know how big Vampires would be? I thought about 9ft high at the shoulder...

I imagine dragons in all sorts of sizes. One thing, though, I see NDs as smsll-ish large.

But, looking at the old Zombie sprite, who'd want to encounter that as big as the Winter Magi are?

My dragons are all roughly about 1inch tall.

Hatchlings are disproportionately large being almost a full half inch.

Eggs are also quite large.

Aside from that, all dragons are roughly about the same size.

Yes, I know I have no imagination.